Sign in to follow this  
GMT

Extraterrestrial life found?

28 posts in this topic Last Reply

Prof. Milton Wainwright of Sheffield University (I think) is 95% certain to have found extraterrestrial material containing DNA.

In detail, the team send a balloon up to 27kilometers height during the last Perseid shower and this balloon collected afore mentioned material. This material is of a size that scientists agree on it can't be "outbound" from earth as in lifted up there by winds and stuff, but must be coming "inbound" to earth from somewhere out there in the vast nothingness of space.

plus certain particles where covered in so-called "cosmic dust", further underlining the alien origin thesis.

http://www.sci-news.com/space/science-extraterrestrial-life-form-earth-stratosphere-01393.html

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/the-truth-is-out-there-british-scientists-claim-to-have-found-proof-of-alien-life-8826690.html

so what do you think? yet another "maybe" that turns out to be a false alarm or are we finally a good step closer to answer the question "are we alone?"

(a question that, I might add, from my point of view can only be answered with "no" as there's so many bazillions of solar systems out there that it would be a damn waste of space if we were alone)

Since the scientists are hoping to confirm their results in October, I think it's too soon for conclusions like "proofs, we are not alone!" or "fake alarm, we are alone!". On the other hand, I also don't believe we are alone. There are hundreds of billions of stars and planets in our galaxy, and our galaxy is one of the billions of galaxies in the whole Universe. There are also the blocks of life everywhere, like water on Mars and amino acids in nebulae. Not only the Universe is so big, but it's also old enough to allow the existence of civilizations way more advance than us. And let's not forget that there are lifeforms here on Earth who can survive in the most extreme situations! Life on other planets may be even more different than we could ever imagine.

We are not alone!

The probability of our solar system being the only one capable of supporting life is so tiny that I would gladly bet the planet if I owned it that we are not alone. Believe me there is life out there. It was only a matter of time till we'd find some concrete evidence.

Having said that I'd disagree with him that life originated elsewhere. I daresay it originated here on Earth and evolution is fairly well proven. What it does demonstrate is that dna can exist on cosmic debris and travel great distances. Either that or it was volcanic, but I daresay his machine will identify it

"Wainwright's work was published in the Journal of Cosmology, a publication with a questionable track record. As the International Business Times notes, the journal has, in the past, published research that had dubious methodsand faulty claims."

No I think life did originate on Earth. We had all the required ingredients. 

I would bet that the diatom came from volcanic sources. If it is indeed cosmic in origin I doubt that this proves life originated elsewhere. It would, however, require explaining how volcanic dust from another planet survived in such a form and managed to travel in some manner here. 

I feel like playing Nonny for once, and dig up a relevant quote. This time, from Arthur C. Clarke. Pardon me if I don't get the exact wording right.

"There are two possibilities. Either, we are alone in the universe, or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Well, I think the Yanks were a little premature with sending out our galactic address with the Voyager probes, but considering that they are travelling at considerably less than light speed and one of them may have just cleared the Oort cloud, I doubt anything will happen in my life-time.  Other people may have this problem.

Anybody ever watch Stargate I episodes?  How would you like to meet a hostile bunch like the Gou'auld?  Beneficent but aloof races like the Nox?  Active allies like the Asgard?  It just makes diplomacy and warfare move to a different plane?

Then there are the foot-draggers like the Vulcans.

All of these guys are more or less humanoid (except the Gou'auld symbiotes), but how would it be if we found life as we don't know it, like the Clorans (Doc Smith - Skylark of Space).  An amorphous life-form based on a chlorine atmosphere, and really inimical to all other life-forms, eh?

Nah, the Voyager probes are nothing to worry about. Compared to the extreme vastness they are travelling through, they are so tiny that they aren't likely to be found by anything, ever, at least not in the scope of our civilization. They are going in a straight line, meaning they are only detectable if you happen to travel through a section of space intersecting its course in time as well as direction. Given the sheer size of space, the Voyager probes aren't likely to ever meet intelligent life before plummeting into some celestial body, obliterating itself in the process.

Not to mention, we've been broadcasting radio signals for seventy years, and those are travelling at light speed in pretty much every direction. Any civilizations advanced enough to find the Voyagers would surely have picked up our signals for decades already by that time. Aliens will probably read about the Voyager probes on Wikipedia before actually finding them.

We've already found proof, but they were lying to us saying it wasn't.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2313828/Is-really-human-DNA-tests-inch-skeleton-alien-looking-creature-sized-head-prove-actually-human-claim-scientists-new-documentary.html

There's MANY other pictures of obvious alien life which I'll leave you to look up because some of them are quite gross.

^Umm... that link (and that's even Daily Mail, notorious all over the Internet from generally being an unreliable source) explicitly says that thing was human. Just because it looks alien to a layman, doesn't mean it actually is. There are tons of terrestrial creatures that look like they're ripped straight from the movies. At first glance, one may think they are alien, but there usually is a more down-to-earth explanation, often involving hoaxes.

For instance, this looks awfully like a dragon, doesn't it?

Its proof that Skyrim existed and that the dragonborn exists... or its just a simple hippo skull. :P As for contacting extraterrestial life, we should probably do, you never know what you will get. Many times our reactions to aliens are like those in ME3 or Star Wars, the reality could be very diffrent though... maybe the aliens cannot understand us and they leave... or sack us... who knows.

If we aren't alone, I don't think we should be seeking contact.  There is too much at risk. If we are lucky we will never be discovered.

Fermi's Paradox offers some fun thought games.  If the vast age and scale of the universe makes extraterrestrial intelligent life so statistically likely, why haven't we found anybody yet, and why haven't they already found us?  Among some of the approaches to this question is the worrisome speculation that perhaps other alien civilizations are making themselves quiet and unnoticeable for a reason, and perhaps we really should be doing the same as well.

Not to mention, we've been broadcasting radio signals for seventy years, and those are travelling at light speed in pretty much every direction. Any civilizations advanced enough to find the Voyagers would surely have picked up our signals for decades already by that time.

Just think, old radio broadcasts of the "Grand Ole Opry" or television broadcasts of "The Honeymooners" could inadvertently be the bright homing beacons drawing the Alien Death Fleets to our inconspicuous system.  Lucille and Desi, what have you done?!?!

A space war drama series I am watching now revealed that an advance alien probing fleet was detected from Earth entering our system, and, though the alien scouts intended to come in peace, speculative panic behind-doors at the United Nations lead to Earth preemptively attacking the mysterious approaching fleet.  It was xenophobically hoped the alien probes could be jammed and swiftly disappeared before they could report back to wherever it was that they came from about the existence of Earth, however, Earth's UN forces were no match even for mere scouts.  Earth instead had now foolishly incensed an authoritarian alien empire that was originally prepared to be distantly benevolent, but, which now coldly decided to exterminate the dangerously violent and unpredictable primitives infesting the untamed wilds of the Sol system.  Thank you, UN Security Council politicians, for now getting us all planet bombed!

Anybody ever watch Stargate I episodes?  How would you like to meet a hostile bunch like the Gou'auld?  Beneficent but aloof races like the Nox?  Active allies like the Asgard?  It just makes diplomacy and warfare move to a different plane?

We should be burying ourselves deep underground like the Genii before any Wraith wake up and start culling the livestock of Earth.  Admittedly, the race I liked the most were the Aschen..."it's like an entire planet of accountants."  This population is not sustainable, muhuhuhuhu, and worse, our own political leaders opt to collaborate in the planned population reduction and re-optimization.

It's a cookbook!

^Lol.

Anyway, I'm guessing this discovery is just gonna end up being a false alarm, similar to when scientists found a supposedly fossillized (?) micro-organism on a martian rock a couple years back :P

On the stance that if we're alone in the universe? HELL NO. And should we ever make contact? HELL YES. :P

^Umm... that link (and that's even Daily Mail, notorious all over the Internet from generally being an unreliable source) explicitly says that thing was human. Just because it looks alien to a layman, doesn't mean it actually is. There are tons of terrestrial creatures that look like they're ripped straight from the movies. At first glance, one may think they are alien, but there usually is a more down-to-earth explanation, often involving hoaxes.

Actually, no, it doesn't.

And just whom in the universe would want to have anything to do with us?  We haven't even gotten over being predators.

And most likely never will until humans get over this dominating everything and everyone syndrome that's in our DNA.

Quotes? I'm going to go with Lovecraft:  (Call of Cthulhu, written 1920's, first paragraph)

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents.  We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.  The sciences, each straining in its own direction, have hitherto harmed us little; but some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the deadly light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.

But as far as this diatom goes, I have a very hard time believing it's extraterrestrial and not terran in origin.  Yes the probe is at a very high altitude, but unless it get's far enough out in earth orbit to be scoured by solar wind the chance of contamination (even something stupidly slight, like if brought with it on the vehicle and falling off onto the sample pad) is too high to constitute a discovery, imho.  If you want an extraterrestrial sample, get off the earth and take it from the comet; don't wait for the comet to come to you.

Also this quote from the second article:

"The last volcano was three years ago, and the matter has all been deposited by now," he said.

Displays an appalling ignorance of the behavior of atmospheric particulate matter that makes me rather distrustful.  

I still look forward to reading his paper though; it will be interesting learning the specifics of this microbe.

PS: lol @ this link in that second article:  

Self-replicating alien space probes could already be in our solar system, say mathematicians

"Hey! There might be these death machines! But we have no way of knowing! But maybe they're there anyways!"

Just how credible is this outlet and source?

And most likely never will until humans get over this dominating everything and everyone syndrome that's in our DNA.

It's in the Y chromosome, I think. That would explain all the Middle East wars (Taliban, mostly) and why the backstory of Lilith was cut from most translations of the Book of Genesis (Because it removed the idea that women were dominant at all in the first place)

I follow the same general opinion as B. Gentry Lee.  (He has served as the head of NASA's JPL Laboratory and helped Carl Sagan with some of his work.)  Paraphrasing a bit:

We have volumes of discredited evidence of claims of alien abductions, visitations, etc.  We could fill a library will all the stories that have been proven false.  Every story of alien contact is either unresolved or has been proven to not be true.  No one has managed to produce anything that we could take to a body of scientists and they could reverse engineer it and say conclusively "this could not have been formed on earth."  I would love nothing more than to be beamed up by aliens and allowed to line my pockets with their stuff so that I could return to earth and prove beyond a doubt that these trinkets could not be formed on earth.  

I believe, as do many of my colleagues and others in the profession, that the most likely answer for the question "why haven't we found anyone yet?" is that the period of discovery is short enough that the span of distance and time is sufficient to ensure an almost non-existent probability of contact.

He then proceeded to explain his thinking using the "sea of light bulbs" analogy.

And just whom in the universe would want to have anything to do with us?  We haven't even gotten over being predators.

Doesn't necessarily stop a species from approaching another planet with sentients. If Humans were civil and approached a planet full of nutters, you can't say everyone would disagree with making contact. Someone would take it upon themselves to go anyway, either for rational or irrational reason. Neither could you say we won't make contact ourselves assuming we even have the capability to leave our own home-system. It's all a part of being curious and I'm pretty curious myself. :P

It's probably something we'll never know, but saying that aliens would've completely abolished conflict from their entire race and civilization seems so utopian, and a Utopia is an almost farfetched and almost unreachable goal. People have even tried, and it never worked out because something inevitably went wrong. Or maybe that's just to us at this point, but it still seems hard to say that when we make contact, that the race we discover or make contact with was able to abolish conflict and war from their culture and civilization.

We've warred with each other for many a millenia, but we haven't self-destructed yet and there were plenty of opportunities to destroy Humanity completely. It'll be centuries, if not millenia before we shrug of war as a solution to anything or resort to anything. But I doubt we'd end without having explored the Final Frontier yet.

Quotes? I'm going to go with Lovecraft:  (Call of Cthulhu, written 1920's, first paragraph)

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents.  We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.  The sciences, each straining in its own direction, have hitherto harmed us little; but some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the deadly light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.

But as far as this diatom goes, I have a very hard time believing it's extraterrestrial and not terran in origin.  Yes the probe is at a very high altitude, but unless it get's far enough out in earth orbit to be scoured by solar wind the chance of contamination (even something stupidly slight, like if brought with it on the vehicle and falling off onto the sample pad) is too high to constitute a discovery, imho.  If you want an extraterrestrial sample, get off the earth and take it from the comet; don't wait for the comet to come to you.

Also this quote from the second article:

"The last volcano was three years ago, and the matter has all been deposited by now," he said.

Displays an appalling ignorance of the behavior of atmospheric particulate matter that makes me rather distrustful.  

Eh, the whole paper is getting all kinds of flak right now from the scientific community for being total bunk science. First, no one actually tested the diatom yet, the people that wrote the paper simply speculated that if someone were to actually test it, it would probably (according to them) turn out to be alien. In other words, they are just guessing and have no proof whatsoever to back that guess with. 

And as you said, the author has shown to be rather ignorant of the behavior of atmospheric particle behavior. \

http://www.slate.com/blogs/bad_astronomy/2013/09/20/et_claims_of_alien_life_in_earth_s_atmosphere_are_unfounded.html

Here is a useful link explaining why this is a bunch of bad science. 

So it's a false alarm, right? Man, I hate it when it happens.

We've warred with each other for many a millenia, but we haven't self-destructed yet and there were plenty of opportunities to destroy Humanity completely.

It's because our ancestors didn't had napalm bombs and nuclear weapons. If they had them, they would used them!

So it's a false alarm, right? Man, I hate it when it happens.

We've warred with each other for many a millenia, but we haven't self-destructed yet and there were plenty of opportunities to destroy Humanity completely.

It's because our ancestors didn't had napalm bombs and nuclear weapons. If they had them, they would used them!

Dude, World War II. But we're still here aren't we? Even the Cold War, what with Russia and the United States then piling up Nuclear weaponry, but we hadn't launched any. We aren't as ruthless as we make ourselves. There's a point where we still draw the line between war and the destruction of human race and civilization and order.