Sign in to follow this  
Themaroonday

Why do you love Simtropolis?

35 posts in this topic Last Reply

Hello everyone. The biggest reason I love Simtropolis is because of the community. Almost no where else on the internet do you find such an encouraging and helpful community like the one you find on Simtropolis. This and the amazing Mod Makers who decide to release thousands of mods so others can enjoy their creativity and hard work. That is why I love Simtropolis. Why do you love Simtropolis? 

Out of habit. :P I've been here so long and become so involved that I can't fathom leaving. To be quite honest if I'd never been to this site before and just discovered it today, I'd have zero desire to sign up. I haven't played SimCity in years and don't care much about it anymore.

Even still, though, this site is great for a couple things. First of all it's great just to unwind. But secondly it's great how global the reach of this site is... getting perspectives of people from various parts of the world about current issues is valuable to me. Without the internet that would not be possible.

• Original Poster
  • Out of habit. :P I've been here so long and become so involved that I can't fathom leaving. To be quite honest if I'd never been to this site before and just discovered it today, I'd have zero desire to sign up. I haven't played SimCity in years and don't care much about it anymore.

Even still, though, this site is great for a couple things. First of all it's great just to unwind. But secondly it's great how global the reach of this site is... getting perspectives of people from various parts of the world about current issues is valuable to me. Without the internet that would not be possible.

Nice.  :rofl:

The community. When I registered on October 17, 2010, I thought I would just download mods to Sim City 4 and move on. Then in late 2012 I decided to start posting on the forums. The community is the best, it really is. Everyone's nice, there are no trolls or spambots,

You are all the best, you really are.

For the community and to some extent newer mods and lots.  I still play, even though I am coming up to my 10th anniversary on the site.  Also for the politesse, which you don't find on many other sites and the freedom from spam and bots (which is a lot of work, believe me).  I am currently moderating another site, and the main task is getting rid of the spam.

So let's hear it for the staff.  Great restraint and patience, with couth of undeniably high standard.

Naww thanks!

And yes we do get some spambots, but we try to keep on top of it efficiently.

Me? I like the site because I find I have a lot in common with the members in areas other than sim city. It's glad to know I'm not the only one who enjoyed reading the street directory for fun, learning about the architecture in your city or country and just a fine appreciation for civil engineering.

Other than that, the people here are very friendly, understanding and always there to help you out with anything you need. Been here for nearly 5 years and don't plan on leaving in a hurry.

I don't love it. I come here because it is the only forum I know of. I used to play Simcity. The new one sucks so I obviously don't. 

While I could argue the site has positive qualities such as its 'global membership' and the current events forum etc etc I would not give it more than half a star out of ten. Then again I gave Facebook about a quarter star if that. Most forums are stupid fan forums or populated with idiots. The few more intelligent ones have either overly strict moderation or are dead slow.

This, rather depressingly, is the best forum which I am aware of. Before this site I went to Neopets but the Neopets Team are mentally ill and can't moderate to save their worthless lives. Before that I went to Myspace but was banned because of some nonsensical reason. I remember it being populated with idiots and 'grown up' types who discussed nothing but sex and partying... The politics threads were flame wars of eternal nature.

Rollerchat was one of the more civil and rational forums I have been to but it was shut down and archived in 2010. The moderation wasn't too excessive till the end but posts took a day or two to appear so it was dead. 

On the whole I do not 'love' anything on the Internet and I think we are too quick to try and be positive these days. Positivity doesn't achieve anything more than getting high does. It is ignorance, plain and simple. 

However having said that in order to not become unpopular and even more hated by humanity I will say these forums are at least, unlike those of Myspace, operable and do not malfunction often. They seem technically well designed.

It is a special community, which is unique in many ways. Compared to some other places, the atmosphere tends to be very pleasant and welcoming. It can be intimidating being a new member, and you may feel ignored. But here I find the newcomers are accepted, and pointed in the right direction. The great thing is, you don't have to be an avid SimCity player to enjoy the site, or even play any city-building game at all. There are lots ways to contribute in different areas. At the end of the day, it’s the people that count.

There's also the traditions we have, such as MOTM, the annual Trixie Awards and other seasonal touches. From Halloween hats on avatars, to April Fools pranks! I like how these events aim to bring the community together, by showing appreciation and recognition for one another. Of course, while having fun at the same time.

Most importantly, a community is nothing without a strong foundation. Over the years, Dirk and the admin staff have done, and continue to do a great job behind the scenes. None of this would be possible without their dedication to make things happen. This is the backbone of any successful site - no matter the scale, audience, or theme.

Well, I don't "love" Simtropolis per sé but I visit here frequently out of boredom. I get to express part of my opinion, I get to read advice on making certain games more enjoyable, and I get modifications and plugins for games I used to play frequently and might in the future.

--Ocram

There are several reasons why I like this community:

1. The game is nice where this fan-site was base upon in the first place.
    2. The support for the game. Even 10 years from it's release, you have thousands of custom BATs. mods and maps for this game, some of which I contributed with. There's even support for technical problems, and EA nor Maxis is involved in any of this; it's the community who does all of this, and that's great!
    3. The community's tolerance. It doesn't matter if you're an American, European or Asian, everyone is welcome. Even if you speak broken English, like me in my early days. Boy, I learned a lot of speaking English more properly here!
    4. The community's overall intelligence. This community seems to be overall more intelligent than other communities I've seen (except on the dutch geofiction-forum I'm on, Atlantisgeo.nl). This also makes the community more civil, and I like that. At least here everyone tries to write in proper English instead of blatant 1337-speak...
    5. The community's helpfulness. Oh boy, when I went to modding for other games, I experienced very little help or even members being paranoid that "their mods will be stolen!" and locking their mods. This describes my ETS2 modding experiences, which I finally managed to bend at my will at lots of struggling to find out how to actually mod that game with little help of tutorials. Heck, I had to master Blender before I could start add new models to that game!
    6. The community's diversity. I've met people on the forums and chat from all around the globe. It's impressive that I talked to people from Germany, Belgium, Austria, Switzerland, France, UK, Ireland, Poland, Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Finland, Russia, Australia, New-Zealand, Canada, USA, Mexico, Japan, China, Indonesia and even Brazil. Heck, I've even went to Sweden to meet up with another member from this site I know for a while. SimTropolis made me kind of a world-citizen! I would never have met any of you here if it wasn't for this site and our common interest...
    7. The community's persistence. 10 years and still little sign of decay. We are still going strong!

Best,

Maarten

Simtropolis respect it's members, it doesn't treat them like idiots. The moderators are very cool, friendly and helpful and I also have met some great members (like Mama Luigi, Alejandro24, A Nonny Moose and MandelSoft). Here I can also speak about topics that I like, but are a bit "too sophisticated" for other sites. Of course I don't have an opinion for everything and I can't take part in many conversations because of my English. I just don't want to look like an illiterate buffoon. And there are plenty of awesome city journals to follow and great stuff to download.

Anyway, there are many reasons to support Simtropolis :thumb:

(P.S.: Maarten, don't forget Philippines, Tunisia, Argentina, Spain and Greece. We are everywhere! :D )

So let's hear it for the staff.  Great restraint and patience, with couth of undeniably high standard.

Deserves a thumbs up! I second that all the way.

I love ST for the vast ammount of knowledge that is shared among present and former members alike!

Also for all the creativity both in custom content and in Cj's... can sit for hours reading updates

Well, there are two or three reasons...

1. For the SC4 General Discussion Forum: "The Place Where the SC4 Info Is"

2. For the Architecture & Urban Planning subforum: I just love this place, don't ask me why.

3. For the City Building Concepts Forum: somebody has already done this, now it's your time to get inspired.

4. For the SC4 Bugs & Technical Issues Forum: if you have a problem, that is the place to tell!

5. For the City Journals Forum / Section: Come and dream of thousands of different cities!

6. For the STEX: I would have shelved the game years ago if it wasn't for it!

7. For the BAT threads: so many talented guys investing their talent and time on the players... You can only say good things about the BATters!

8. For the Off Topic Forum: learning new stuff and listening to the people who knows best since 2009!

9. For the Forum Games: You're bored? Go there!

10. For the Status Updates: a small but great recent addition!

11. For the Omnibus: You said you knew everything about SC4?

12. For the Golden Llama Awards (aka Trixies): you just can feel people's excitement when they come out because they are given to the people who deserves them the most.

13. For the MOTMs/EOTMs: Sometimes for a wide-known member, sometimes for somebody below the radar, always fair!

14. For the thousands of threads I've been replying on these years and the lots of new things I have learnt, for the English language I have learnt, for some unforgettable pictures, phrases and moments!

15. For the overall ambient: no trolls, no 1337speak, no flame wars, no spam... Just civil discussion, as it should be Internet-wide.

16. For the community feeling. I love ST, but I consider "cousin" sites places like SC4D, SimSports, SimPeg CSC, ToutSimcities, SC Brasil, Kurier SC Plaza, SC Polska, SC China, the Japanese confusing sites... There have been tensions sometimes, but in overall, we are part of the SimCity community at large.

17. And yeah, I could be for the whole day speaking about this...

Initially I came here back in '09 to download mods and get help with trouble I was having with mods and the game. Then I decided to start posting around a couple years ago.

I love this site for its mods, and its diverse, intelligent community. And it's diligent staff. If not for them, this site would just be overrun with trolls and people who have nothing to do with SimCity. And this is the only real place on the face of the Internet that SC players can converge to discuss and show off their creations.

One thing I don't 'love' is that Simcity 2013 was given equal status to 4 with amount of forum space allotted. Also the Battlefield adverts. However I suppose the site costs a lot to run or something for servers or something. 

It is a pity Maxis produced what they did in 2013. Otherwise there may well be cause to still 'love' this site. The disconnection with the franchise caused by 2013's failure... Is rather depressingly bleak. Oh well nowt you can do innit. EA will have their way... Pity I can't become head of EA and tell them how to make a proper game... Bunch of morons lol.

Um to end on a positive note... This forum isn't as a dead as Civitas. My goodness. Mr Smith is one quiet developer.

I don't love it. I come here because it is the only forum I know of. I used to play Simcity. The new one sucks so I obviously don't. 

While I could argue the site has positive qualities such as its 'global membership' and the current events forum etc etc I would not give it more than half a star out of ten. 

Serious question: what do you feel could make Simtropolis better?

While I could argue the site has positive qualities such as its 'global membership' and the current events forum etc etc I would not give it more than half a star out of ten. 

Get rid of all the idiots, duh.

Get rid of all the idiots, duh.

/leaves/ 

:P

I guess the forum games never appealed to me. I prefer constructive activity... 

As to what could improve the site, I think Maxis making a proper Simcity 5 would greatly improve the site as we'd have something worth discussing. 

So let's see...

2009-2011: Downloaded Content off of STEX

2011-2012: Attempted ST Chat (didn't really like it much, you guys talk a LOT about the weather  :whatevs: ), started City Journal-Atlantsia, started Lot Editing, won trixie D:

2012-2013: Started Terrain Modding, Started MMP Modding, Became member of AIN, continued CJing

2013: Started BATting with GMAX and later 3DSMax, released first BAT on Stex (it's crappy, but I've got a better one coming :lol: )

I'm not sure what keeps me around. Everyone's just really nice I guess (except for like 1 or 2 party poopers I've met along the way). I think that as an aspiring architect, the information here is invaluable, even if it is simply a game.

1.  Definitely the community.  People are very friendly.  I like the chat and have met a lot of friends there, some years ago - many of whom I still contact even to this day. 

2.  The support for the game.  Without custom content and mods I would have quit the game years ago.

3.  The CJ's.  The main reason I play is for eyecandy mostly. I love the aesthetic and artistic value.

I have honestly always thought the community here was fabulous, and even when beginners come up with sub-par journals, there are a great many here who cheer on and help out those in need.  I've since come to love the Forum Games and General Off-Topic, although the city journals are still probably my favorite places.

Also I have met up with 3 members from the site and they were all lovely people.

Aww shucks  ^_^

Naww thanks!

And yes we do get some spambots, but we try to keep on top of it efficiently.

Me? I like the site because I find I have a lot in common with the members in areas other than sim city. It's glad to know I'm not the only one who enjoyed reading the street directory for fun, learning about the architecture in your city or country and just a fine appreciation for civil engineering.

Other than that, the people here are very friendly, understanding and always there to help you out with anything you need. Been here for nearly 5 years and don't plan on leaving in a hurry.

Me circa 2004 - present  :P

Why I love Simtrop? Well to answer that question I ask another:

What's not to love?