Sign in to follow this  
simcity1999

What tool do you use to capture SC4 screenshots?

Screenshot Recording Tools  

30 members have voted

1. 1. What screenshot recording tool do you use?

• Ingame tools
    • Printscreen
    • 3rd party screen capturing tool (say the name of the tool)

20 posts in this topic Last Reply

Fraps.  Fraps has a function that will take several screenshots at an interval of your choosing until you turn it off(as well as single SSs, I can do all of this with one key press.  I can take pictures in .png, .jpeg and .bmp of course at my choosing.

Fraps also takes video.  It is true that Fraps create enormous files for video, but that is because it is high quality.  I just have the path for video recording set to larger HD.  

Fraps also displays frame rate as well.

Last night it even did my dishes and vacuumed the floor, it really is an amazing little program.

It isn't free though unless you crack it or pay for it, not without a 'watermark int he middle of everything you do'.  I payed for mine ages ago.  I never really looked into any other since this one does everything I ever need or want to do.

The only issue Fraps has is that you have to delete a windows update if you want to be able to record your desktop or take pictures of your desktop.  I don't know why an update for Windows would stop this, perhaps that update is a countermeasure to keep malicious software from copying your screen(I don't know but that is the only thing that makes sense.), no biggie, I don't do anything to jeopardize my computers safety, Humans are the weakest link in computers after all...

Edit:  I had not until today, updated my version of Fraps for over 3 years.  The error I mentioned earlier of where it would not capture Windows desktop without deleting a certain Windows update has been fixed in the newest version.  I updated my Fraps, and then got my update back from Windows and now all is wonderful in Metal's world.  Yay.

Printscreen & MS Paint up until a few days ago when I installed an old copy of Photoshop CS8. Want to be able to post mosaics and panoramic images of my cities.  Also want to find a set-up of filters & effects that will give my images more of my own unique style from other mayor's images. 

In Linux the print screen key is mapped to the screenshot app.  I use this which produces a PNG image in my photos folder, then process it with GIMP as needed then finally export it from GIMP to a jpg.  I have an account on imgur to load these out.

The last time I did any frame capture was with the in-game RECORD tool.  Cumbersome, and frame by frame, and you have to stitch them back up, but the overall control is very good.  I made my signature animation.

I use IrfanView, because it allows me to take several images with simple Hotkey function. I just select my favorites, delete others and modify selected afterwards.

- Ilja

Linux has a screen shot program.  If you set it up with a folder destination, then each tap of the Prt Scr button pops another screen shot into that folder.  Probably not good for animations unless your animation program handles 'tweens'.

I currently use the ingame camera, though. Would like to upgrade n the future. A good image capturing system is essential for CJsans other posts in that range of thing. (Aha am I saying?)

I use both the in-game screenshot recorder and the printscreen for the game.  For shots which I zero in on a particular part of a city which I only need to record a subject that only takes up a fraction of my screen I use the in-game recorder because it is convenient.  I know the image is in PNG and I know that I have to convert it to JPEG before I upload and post it online, but I do other editing to the image, anyway.  For large and full screen shots I use the printscreen feature since you cannot minimize the game's toolbar before using the game's image recorder.

Are you sure?  I think you can kill the GUI then use CTRL+SHIFT+s.  Checking ... Yep.  Works just fine, GUI on or off. 

Putting the image on the clipboard is such a nuisance.  I'm on Linux so my Prt Scr key take the image directly to my Pictures folder, but the key sequence above puts it in .../Albums/<city name>.

I use the in-game tool (Ctrl+Shift+S) to take a picture in *.png which later is tweaked with GIMP in order to have an extra realism with it and the effect I want to achieve with it. I later make the export in *.jpg for the sake of other users' patience when browsing my CJs or pictures. 

I used to take shots with the Steam screenshot tool, but I think I'm going back to the in-game tool because Steam recently gives me weird blue distortion artifacts. I doubt it's a plugin (the game itself looks fine as do the internal screenshots, but some sort of setting/update/error within Steam). Anyone else experiencing this?

91068e77ca1a06bde5d99a84ae633e83edc1203a