Sign in to follow this  
starmodem

Empty plopped BATs

19 posts in this topic Last Reply

I plopped a lot of BATs and it was all ok, I uploaded the city many times and there wasn't any problem but today a lot of BATs are empty, for example the marrast embankments:

nuovacittapr80113641493.png

if I select a straight piece from the seaport menu and I plop it the embankment works well

ggggka.jpg

nuovacittapr11011364149.png

Looks like you have your city detail set on low.  Check your settings.

Also, what have you added lately?  Something new may have done some kind of override.

I didn't ask before but did you move all the components into the Plugins for those downloads? 

I've looked at the LEX downloads and they contain an installer, so that should not have been a problem.  However, I also examined one of the STEX downloads and found it is in the default layout for a BAT.  When installing such files, you must move all the relevant components into your plugins not just the *.sc4lot.  If there are other files (*.sc4desc, *.sc4model, *.dat) you must include them in the plugins.  Leaving out the *.sc4model means you will not be able to draw the building, and it will either be missing or be a brown box.

I hope you are keeping your plugins in a structure so that you can easily find anything you've added.  The LEX downloads create their own structure, and you can do nothing wrong by emulating it for other downloads.

From you initial post, it seems to me that the lots were destroyed, because you can re-plop onto the same space that used to have your walls, correct?  Did you use the zero level cheat, or did you reconcile your cities edges?  Something along those lines may have destroyed everything at sea level.  That is the only explanation that I can think of.  

• Original Poster
  • I didn't ask before but did you move all the components into the Plugins for those downloads? 

I've looked at the LEX downloads and they contain an installer, so that should not have been a problem.  However, I also examined one of the STEX downloads and found it is in the default layout for a BAT.  When installing such files, you must move all the relevant components into your plugins not just the *.sc4lot.  If there are other files (*.sc4desc, *.sc4model, *.dat) you must include them in the plugins.  Leaving out the *.sc4model means you will not be able to draw the building, and it will either be missing or be a brown box.

I hope you are keeping your plugins in a structure so that you can easily find anything you've added.  The LEX downloads create their own structure, and you can do nothing wrong by emulating it for other downloads.

I plopped those BATs about two weeks ago with all the necessary files and dependancies and the lots weren't empty until two days ago

From you initial post, it seems to me that the lots were destroyed, because you can re-plop onto the same space that used to have your walls, correct?  Did you use the zero level cheat, or did you reconcile your cities edges?  Something along those lines may have destroyed everything at sea level.  That is the only explanation that I can think of.  

no, I didn't use the zero level cheat, I didn't reconcile the edges of that city or the edges of one of the neighboring

I can't replop onto the same place, I must destroy the empty lot before, but when I plop the same lot I destroyed because it was empty I can see the new one, I don't understand what is the problem

the only mods I added recently were some water mods but I deleted all of them

Computers don't do things randomly.  In fact they must do what you say.

So, what is different now from two days ago?  If you can back out your plugins to exclude the ones you've added to a point before the problem, it will probably turn out that something you added inhibited these lots.

Do you get your lots only from accredited exchanges?  On this continent the only ones I am aware of are the STEX, LEX, and PLEX.

I hate to suggest this, but when was the last time you did a deep virus scan?

Has anyone besides yourself been on the machine using your account?

The ultimate test is to rename your plugins folder to be Plugins.hold then start the game.  Ignoring messages about missing items and brown boxes, can you now open the problem city?  If so, it is plugin trouble.

Edited by A Nonny Moose  

• Original Poster
  • I discovered this is a problem of all the region and not only that city, for example i built an airport in another region, these are two pics from the other region

airportoct1700136429091.png

airportoct1700136429100.png

I rebuilt exactly the same airport in the new region with the same plugins

nuovacittsep23011364292.png

nuovacittsep23011364292.png

I made these four pics today with the same files in the plugins folder

Computers don't do things randomly.  In fact they must do what you say.

So, what is different now from two days ago?  If you can back out your plugins to exclude the ones you've added to a point before the problem, it will probably turn out that something you added inhibited these lots.

Do you get your lots only from accredited exchanges?  On this continent the only ones I am aware of are the STEX, LEX, and PLEX.

I hate to suggest this, but when was the last time you did a deep virus scan?

Has anyone besides yourself been on the machine using your account?

The ultimate test is to rename your plugins folder to be Plugins.hold then start the game.  Ignoring messages about missing items and brown boxes, can you now open the problem city?  If so, it is plugin trouble.

I got lots from many sites, not only from the STEX, LEX and PLEX and it's a bit of time that i don't do a deep virus scan

no one else used my PC, I will try to exclude the latest plugins I added again

I hate to tell you this, but I think you are in a rebuild.  Rename your plugins file to Plugins.old.  Review all of them, and only put back the ones you trust in a new Plugins folder.  It looks like you have some seasonal mod that is doing you in.  Are those pictures taken consecutively in the same program load or two separate runs?

I hope you have kept all of the downloaded archive files so that you can reinstall any that you can't decypher.

• Original Poster
  • the pics are taken in the same program load

I tried to remove all the plugins and to run the game with only a few plugins that I reinstalled in a new Plugins folder (with the dependancies), but it's useless, I think that some data has been lost and the only solution is to rebuild everything :dead:

It looks like you might have prop pox, though usually that removes all the props, which isn't exactly what seems to be happening in your city. There are ways you can manage it but once poxed a city if always poxed.

Here is a load more information on the causes, how to stop it happening again, checking if you have the corrupting files, ect ect http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=7066.0

If you have backups you might be okay, but make sure you remove the prop pox causing files from your plugins beforehand otherwise the backup will become poxed too.

It looks like you might have prop pox, though usually that removes all the props, which isn't exactly what seems to be happening in your city. There are ways you can manage it but once poxed a city if always poxed.

Here is a load more information on the causes, how to stop it happening again, checking if you have the corrupting files, ect ect http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=7066.0

If you have backups you might be okay, but make sure you remove the prop pox causing files from your plugins beforehand otherwise the backup will become poxed too.

Ion_Cannon: I think you nailed it: I think he has prop pox.  I have dealt with that in many different cities over the years.  Just a clarification/correction on a point you made: I don't believe that prop pox necessarily removes all the props in a city.  I have had prop pox in cities where only pockets of the city are affected, not the whole city.  And, like a disease, the missing props can spread over time, i.e., if you keep playing the infected city file.  What I have done to combat this is remain vigilant in checking my cities that tend to get infected and, when I see that they are infected, I simply restore to an earlier version using File History in Windows 8 (which I do not like as much as W7 but I digress).  It's a bulky process but it keeps my cities "clean."

One other thing that you might consider is one dependency plugin in conflict with another. I had a problem with missing stop signs. I went crazy installing, reinstalling SimCity and all my plugins and checking that I had all the required dependencies. I used the DataNode program and found a conflict between a dependency and the SimCity_1.dat file. When I removed the offending file, my stop signs showed up.