CaptCity

NAM: Requests - 2nd Edition

1,275 posts in this topic Last Reply

This topic is intended for the discussion of possible additions to future NAM versions. If you are looking for NAM download links or having a problem with the current NAM, check the FAQ thread for links and common issues and solutions:

You may also ask questions about or discuss the features of the current NAM in the general support topic:

NAM General Support Topic - V2

Edited by CaptCity  

Updated.

Would it be possible to include some overpasses for GHSR? I am not sure if this is the right place for that, but if HSR ever gets included with NAM I would like to see some overpasses for the GHSR. I have a big system planned that is sunken into the ground, but I have no way of getting roads to build over the GHSR and its too low for tunnels to go under.

A lot has been done for & with NAM over the years, but there seems to be one area that has been somewhat neglected: overpasses in general, both road/avenue, and rail. They really could do with an improved look. There is a Japanese mod (thanks, Dave), but it really is not an ideal situation.

The fact is, the overpasses do look unrealistic when compared to everything else. Especially now that we have the excellent widening mod for roads and avenues, it seems odd that these wider roads need to shrink back to use an overpass,

BTW: Krases - you might consider FLUP tunnels; works even with shallow geography. And there are several other "tunnels using subways" options around. Mas71 & JRJ made some, and several others are available from ToutSimCity & some Japanese sites (see above link).

I think we definitely need different styles of overpasses... like personally, I would like to have Long Island parkway style overpasses along with the typical styles.

examples:

img11.gif

img2.gif

img15.gif

Originally posted by: DocRorlach

A lot has been done for & with NAM over the years, but there seems to be one area that has been somewhat neglected: overpasses in general, both road/avenue, and rail. They really could do with an improved look. There is a Japanese mod (thanks, Dave), but it really is not an ideal situation.

quote>

Well, you're just in luck.  I've been in the process of adapting Swamper77's Elevated RHW models over for use as Elevated Road/One-Way Road and Avenue models.  The process has been going well and is nearly complete, and the results will be included in NAM Version 30, along with a few new pieces for that side of things (long-awaited One-Way Road and Avenue Orthogonal-Diagonal Transitions).

nam102820101.jpg

The textures are easily interchangeable, even on the guardrails.  There are also plans to add a draggable version of the system, as well as new "half-height" (7.5m) pieces, which have been requested for a long time.

The fact is, the overpasses do look unrealistic when compared to everything else. Especially now that we have the excellent widening mod for roads and avenues, it seems odd that these wider roads need to shrink back to use an overpass,

quote>

The new Elevated Road/OWR/Avenue pieces have been designed with the idea of porting them over to NWM networks in mind, and it's likely you'll see something on that front in one of the next couple NWM releases.

Originally posted by: krases

Would it be possible to include some overpasses for GHSR? I am not sure if this is the right place for that, but if HSR ever gets included with NAM I would like to see some overpasses for the GHSR. I have a big system planned that is sunken into the ground, but I have no way of getting roads to build over the GHSR and its too low for tunnels to go under.quote>

There already are overpasses over GHSR in Version 2.  Simply cycle through the set of GHSR pieces under the GHSR button by using "TAB".  You'll find Road-over-GHSR and several others.  (Those pieces have also been revamped as part of the aforementioned model upgrade project as well.)

-Alex (Tarkus)

Krases:

If FLUP does not work for you, you might want to try these (made by BuddyBud I believe):

under_rail.jpg

I use these whenever FLUP takes up too much space. You get differenet types for road, street, one-way, as well as against slopes.

If they are not available on the STEX they should definitely be on the LEX (sorry, no link).

Tarkus: just my luck. These images certainly look better than the Japanese mods (which do seem to have some glitches still). Since Swamper77 is on the case, oddities like that inside corner in the image are sure to be ironed out.

Might I suggest something else to be added to the NWM? Side-by-side connectors similar to those on-ramps in RHWY. Personally I prefer NWM since it does work better in tight spaces. But: what about bridges? I do realize these are among the most difficult network items on any agenda, but that could be solved if there was a natural looking way to split an NWM piece so it could connect to an avenue bridge.

And while you are here, Tarkus: are there any plans to expand the rail pieces (double-Y for example, or single rail overpasses)?

Of course, I may be asking too much..

There already are overpasses over GHSR in Version 2.  Simply cycle through the set of GHSR pieces under the GHSR button by using "TAB".  You'll find Road-over-GHSR and several others.  (Those pieces have also been revamped as part of the aforementioned model upgrade project as well.)

-Alex (Tarkus)

quote>

*Punches self in face for being stupid*

Out of the million times I have been pressing the TAB key, I fail to press it when it really matters. 

Thank you very much.  Now I can build an awesome sunken GHSR.

There is one other thing that (I think) needs a fix: SAM. It works extremely well all around, except for two instances: the dirt texture fails whenever it crosses a rail track (all others work just fine). It leaves an unsightly brown splotch that also hides the rail track itself. The other, less important, occurence is small roundabouts created with an active SAM texture: most textures work, but dirt and rural road revert back to vanilla Maxis texture. Some of these textures also seem to act a tad odd whenever they hit NWM roads. Unfortunately, they don't always revert the NWM back to plain road; there does not seem to be a pattern (at least not that I could detect). But I am certain the next version of NAM will have already addressed these minor annoyances.

This may be stupid or have been decided to be not worth it, but in my opinion avenues should have turn lanes when they intersect roads I mean around here nearly all avenues have turn lanes at roads.

There are only three things that I would really love to ask:

Is it possible to make RH-10s have curves?

Is it possible to create overpasses with roads and avenues and not actually pass through the Highway?

and Is it possible to create a easier default Intersection overpasses with other Highways? (ie: cloverleaf & T intersections)

I will worship you if you ever do even one of these.

memo1890: You can do that using the puzzle-piece-based Turn Lane Extension Pieces (TuLEPs), included in the NAM.  The idea of having "auto turn lanes" on Road/Avenue intersections has been discussed for ages, but the problem is that the "trigger" for the override could not be offloaded to an Individual Network RUL (as was possible with the existing Road Turning Lanes and Avenue Turning Lanes), meaning that it would not be optional.  This could prove problematic for a number of users, and would also cause significant software design issues.

Ferrariguy1000:

1) It is possible to make the RHW-10 have curves, and coincidentally, I just finished the coding for that functionality last night.  It will be in the next RHW.

2) I'm not really sure what you're getting at here. 

3) I'm also not quite sure what you're referring to here, either, but will try to make an educated guess--are you requesting a Maxis Highway-style "prefab/plop" interchange for the RHW?  The amount of work involved in producing pre-fab interchanges is astronomical, and the end product is inflexible and merely duplicates existing functionality.  The ends do not justify the means, so the likelihood of pre-fab RHW interchanges is about 0%.

nathanthemayor: We like to surprise people.  2.gif

-Alex (Tarkus)

@ Tarkus What I mean is in order to cross a RHW, I must use a hole digger to go underneath the highway. But sometimes, the terrain is too low to do it and I have to switch to the elevated Highway and ground Highways that are default to Simcity4. If there is a way to make a road or ave that can run perpendicular to the RHW and overpass it into the other side, I would greatly appriciate it. Thatks for helping me with the curves problem though. 9.gif

Heres my request.

1. Double and possibly tripple high everything- ecspecially roads.

2. More flexibility with bridges.

3. Double decker networks.

Ex. Bridges. Elevated lines over each other.

4. Transit lines with express lane. One way Elevated Rail

It would be kinda of like RHW. 2 lane, 3 lane, 4 lane, ect. train tracks.

If its possible those would be really cool to add in the game.

Thanks

Josh:

1. In works.

2. Ongoing

3. See what Alex said.

4. Possibly, dunno though.

Ferrari: On the latest RHW, you can simply use elevated RHW-4 or MIS-1 to cross over wider RHW's.

h10-h375_interchange_after01.jpg

EDIT: Wait, do you mean standard road, avenue, etc? In that case, there are puzzle pieces in the road menu that allow for that.

My requests... FLEX Fly-over ramps that will work with Maxis Ground/Elevated Highways... diagonal RHW will work with Maxis Hwys.. FLEX-Fly puzzle pieces... higher road, avenue, oneway road puzzle pieces, curved higher elevated rail puzzle pieces... and lastly, Will the new monorail look always look like the old monorail when it crosses an intersection???!! Thanks for all your hard work...

Everyone is on about roads, avenues, highways, RHW, very real RHW, et al. What about us small town folks dealing merely with streets? SAM helped a lot, but could do with additional textures. But really putting icing on the cake would mean street cross-over puzzle pieces (even fake: road textured as streets). Oh yes, and RHW-style single lane on-ramps for NWM. And while I am at it: lets re-model those rail and road cross-over pieces towards something a bit more realistic.

That's what you get when you perform the impossible, you guys of NAM: pure greed..

Originally posted by: chocolate_cityand lastly, Will the new monorail look always look like the old monorail when it crosses an intersection???!!quote>

New Monorail? I think you might be talking about the BTM or HSRP.

These will have different functionality according to what the original creator(s) wanted in the mod and what the NAM was capable of at the time.

If you want a High-Speed rail network, might I suggest Moonlight's Shinkansen Mod (It's about half way down the page)? It was created with the newest NAM in mind and (as far as I know) all the capabilities programmed into Monorail by the NAM team and looks a damn side better than the BTM does/did.

Here's the pic above the download button:

bde11278.jpg

Jdenm8 - I appreciate the response... I'll try it... as to the monorail that I'm currently using ... it looks like a elevated rail until it crosses over any road, street avenue, or maxis highway.. it converts to the old monorail look.... I'll post a picture soon... and as far as High Speed Rail is concerned... until I figure out why parts of HSP are growing out of my buildings (see thread ":High Speed Rail is growing out of my buildings" I don't think thats an option for me right now...

(1) Can you make some more highway intersections. eg. Trumpet interchanges that go in a T shape so that it branches not on a diagonal. I want more variety in my cities as the large ones depend on highways.

(2) FLUP's that can go under buildings. I'm not sure if this is possible but i sometimes need to use this and it looks weird when I have a line of blank space in the middle of downtown.

@Shaggy100:

1) Use the RHW, which give you the ability to make a large variaty of interchanges. New Maxis Highway interchanges are not planned due to their inflexibility and the very, VERY long time required to make one.

2) This can only be done if you don't use a FLUP, but a lot that changes the road into subway.

3) No, this can't be done due to game limitations. Although I know it's possible to build tunnels side by side. I've seen it in various CJs/MDs. Bridges however are out of the question.

Rail Tunnels can be build side-by-side, but I never succeeded doing it with street or road. Bridges require one none-TE tile path between them. But I wonder: we now have bridges that connect to raised rail/road puzzle pieces. So why would it not be possible to create dual-lane rail (i.e. 4 tracks instead of two) and connect these to similarily designed NAM bridges? At least for rail?

I would like to suggest a Ploppable Bridge Over Land and Water mod(PBOLW) so you can build diagonal bridges and curve them over water and land.

Suggested pieces:

2x1  strait piece

2x2 strait piece

2x8 strait piece

2x1  diagonal piece

2x2 diagonal piece

2x8 diagonal piece

45 degree curve

90 degree curve

Other curves

Bridge entering/exiting piece strait (how could you get on/off the bridge without this?)

Bridge entering/exiting piece diagonal

I have nother suggestion:

H= Highway

O= On-ramp/off-ramp

R= Road

D= Highway divider

T= Transition from on/off-ramp to road

lower case means that the road is under the highway    

HHHDHHH

HHHDHHH

HHOOOHH

HHHOHHH

HHHOHHH

RRRRrrrrrTrrrrrRRRR - This means that if someone can make doubled height elevated highway

HHHOHHH            pieces   and/or make an on/off-ramp piece that is in the middle of the higway.

HHHOHHH                          

HHOOOHH

HHHDHHH

HHHDHHH            

One more request: A ploppable street piece that splits in to two with a grassy center:    

64881756.png

97698757.png

NOTE: These streets are in my neighborhood, they are pretty long though. I

I would like to have different sizes:

2x3

2x4

2x5

2x6

2x7

EDIT: Sorry for the triple post, i clicked on the reply button a few times and it posted it 3 times. It will not let me delete my comments, so I want a mod to DELETE ALL BUT ONE.

Mod Edit:

EDIT: Sorry for the triple post, i clicked on the reply button a few times and it posted it 3 times. It will not let me delete my comments, so I want a mod to DELETE ALL BUT ONE.quote>

Done. Perhaps a glitch. Seems to work now. -CaptCity

I am not sure about how easy it would be to do this, but I think it would be benificial to have elevated roundabout puzzle pieces (2x2 road, 3x3 one-way, 4x4 avenue roundabouts) to fit with the rest of the elevated network puzzle pieces. I imagine the difficulty would be in making all the pieces for all the possible roundabout configurations, but it would be very practical.

Originally posted by: Shaggy100

(1) Can you make some more highway intersections. eg. Trumpet interchanges that go in a T shape so that it branches not on a diagonal. I want more variety in my cities as the large ones depend on highways.

(2) FLUP's that can go under buildings. I'm not sure if this is possible but i sometimes need to use this and it looks weird when I have a line of blank space in the middle of downtown.quote>

You need to make trumpet and partial-y interchanges for elevated highways, also you need highway tunnels (and road/avenue/tram/etc.) tunnels THAT CAN GO UNDER BUILDINGS!

Shaggy100, with regards to your first request, just use a directional T interchange instead.

You can already have tunnels under buildings: just get one of the many road to subway connectors (like BuddyBud's road, street, one-ay tunnel entrances). As long as you do not cross "real" subway, there is no problem. And for highways, the Boston Big Dig pieces do the trick. Plenty of on/off ramps, too.

You can already have tunnels under buildings: just get one of the many road to subway connectors (like BuddyBud's road, street, one-ay tunnel entrances). As long as you do not cross "real" subway, there is no problem. And for highways, the Boston Big Dig pieces do the trick. Plenty of on/off ramps, too.quote>

There is the problem that you can't have all road travel types (cars, buses, trucks, and pedestrians) uses this type of tunnel, because all traffic gets converted to the single travel type of subways, if it gets converted at all.  There's no way to keep the different travel types distinct while traveling through the subway, as subway tunnels can only carry subway trains.

Originally posted by: z1

You can already have tunnels under buildings: just get one of the many road to subway connectors (like BuddyBud's road, street, one-ay tunnel entrances). As long as you do not cross "real" subway, there is no problem. And for highways, the Boston Big Dig pieces do the trick. Plenty of on/off ramps, too.quote>

There is the problem that you can't have all road travel types (cars, buses, trucks, and pedestrians) uses this type of tunnel, because all traffic gets converted to the single travel type of subways, if it gets converted at all.  There's no way to keep the different travel types distinct while traveling through the subway, as subway tunnels can only carry subway trains.

quote>

well as long as the same types of traffic are entering the tunnel from the same direction [ i.e. people taking the same route to work, as they are from work], then it shouldnt matter if  the traffic is "merged in" with each other right? [ because on the traffic map, you'll see the traffic enter the subway, turn into a subway train, and then leave the subway seperately correct?]

Is it possible to Get an RHW 10 to an RHW 6 splitter? i would do it the regular way but i find that it takes "SO MUCH ROOM!"

and im having a problem with the MAVE 4, it doesnt have turning capabilites does it?

[ the only thing i could think of would would be to make an MAVE 6 to Ave4 + OWR 1 (2) transition, it will allow people to go back to the maxis avenue, while traffic from additional areas could merge in via the independent OWR's]

*Note*  a list of things that absolutely cannot be codded into the game for certain reasons might be helpful to put on this page, just to stop people from asking for things that cant happen 2.gif