• Thin White Duke
    Thin White Duke

Cities: Skylines patch 1.2.2-f2 released, limits raised!

User Feedback

I've been out of the loop for about 2 years now.  I saw this game Cities Skyline.  How good is it?  Is it even close to Simcity 4 style of play and excitement?  Is it even worth the investment?  Can someone tell me their 2 cents on this game

Edited by ydm1223  

Share this comment

As a longtime SC4 player, ydm1223, it is my opinion that Cities: Skylines is in fact the successor city builder that the community has been waiting for.  It has some first year issues, sure, but the developer has so far pretty much made all the right moves and the modding that is being done is nothing short of amazing.

My 2c.

David

Share this comment

Thanks dedgren.  I appreciate that.  I want to buy it.  Can someone guide me what do I need to get in order for me to be update with the game.  I've read that there's been a lot of or some fixes to it.  Where can I can get those patches or fixes or mods.  I'm buying the Cities Skyline Deluxe and Night Time.  

Share this comment

Thanks dedgren.  I appreciate that.  I want to buy it.  Can someone guide me what do I need to get in order for me to be update with the game.  I've read that there's been a lot of or some fixes to it.  Where can I can get those patches or fixes or mods.  I'm buying the Cities Skyline Deluxe and Night Time.  

I strongly recommend making sure you have a rig that can run the game before spending your money, if you haven't yet :)

Share this comment

I strongly recommend making sure you have a rig that can run the game before spending your money, if you haven't yet :)

Best. C:S. Advice. Ever.

I was spoiled because for about six years I carried SC4, Three Rivers Region and all the modding/custom content work I was doing around on a decent laptop and a couple of terabyte pocket hard drive.  With Cities: Skylines, I am back chained (happily for now, at least) to a desktop that I built in anticipation of the game's release.  My neighbor's lights dim when I press the power button...

I figure my copy of Cities: Skylines cost me (US) $2,059.98 so far.  $39.99 for the Deluxe Edition of C:S, $19.99 for After Dark, and $2,000.00 for a computer and monitor setup that would allow the game to run properly.  I don't want to scare anyone off, but C:S is not something that you can just load on a couple of year old rig and expect acceptable performance.

David

Edited by dedgren  

Clarity

Share this comment

...I don't want to scare anyone off, but this is not something that you can just load on a couple of year old rig....

Well you can and I can start it up and watch the sunset which is very cool, but that's pretty much all I can do on a

All-in-One Desktop with a single Intel Celeron Sandy Bridge core (CPU G440 @ 1.60GHz) 

It was great for playing SC4 on, as its also got 8GB of memory

Share this comment

I have a $ 800 PC (monitor included) bought 2 years ago and C:S runs properly too, 30-40 stable FPS with 1920x1020 and about 600+ mods and assets.

A quad core CPU, 8 GB RAM an SSD and a good GPU (I have a very normal and quite outdated nVidia 670 GTX) is what you need to play this game. And damn if it's worth playing!

Edited by Mascalzone  

Share this comment

A quad core CPU, 8 GB RAM an SSD and a good GPU (I have a very normal and quite outdated nVidia 670 GTX) is what you need to play this game. And damn if it's worth playing!

I couldn't agree more about the solid state drives (SSDs).  I have a 128 GB SSD with nothing but Windows 10 Pro on it and a second SSD with 512 GB capacity that only has programs installed on it, including Cities: Skylines.  All the data files local to my computer are on a third regular 3 TB hard drive.  I do a lot of image processing in my photo art business and this setup was actually designed to facilitate doing that.  Cities: Skylines runs beautifully in any event, even though my computer is not a "gaming" rig per se (the only computer game I own and play other than C:S and SC4 is an occasional round of Angry Birds on my iPad- oh yes, and Nethack).

I know I'm among the more fortunate here, computer-wise.  On the other hand, I'm an old ugly cranky balding retired guy.  Most of the rest of you have 30 or 40 years more than I do left to play Cities: Skylines, and down the road you'll be playing it and its successors on better equipment than I could even dream of.  Have fun- I'm jealous.

Share this comment

Thanks Guys for all the replies.  My computer has an Intel Quad core with 2.33GHZ each and 6GB of memory ram with an ATI Radeon 3450HD.  I don't know how good that is to run the Cities Skyline game.  

Share this comment

I bought the game via steam and downloaded their software.  When I run the game it lags.  I thought this was NOT run via a server? 

Share this comment

It's not. The game on any kind of high settings can lag, especially in large cities. I've got a city of about 500,000 and my setup is pretty beefy. Liquid cooled AMD FX 9590 OC'd at 5.1GHz, GTX 780ti and the game on an SSD and on all high settings the game FPS drops under 30. C:S is very system-taxing game. 

Share this comment

I've been out of the loop for about 2 years now.  I saw this game Cities Skyline.  How good is it?  Is it even close to Simcity 4 style of play and excitement?  Is it even worth the investment?  Can someone tell me their 2 cents on this game

I love it. I feel it's  somewhere between the shitty re-attempt that was made as an official Sim City game a few years ago and the greatest Sim City game of all, SC4. It's the next-gen equivalent but done better. It looks less cartoon-y and has a more appropriate scale. I feel one of the reasons everyone liked SC4 was largely due to the sizes used.

CS is definitely the successor to SC4

EDIT: Oh, and if I remember right, the real SC successor required you to place houses or some $%&^! like that. CS allows for zoning. The city will grow more like it did in SC4

Edited by msernst  

Share this comment

Does this patch do anything to fix the agent max where garbage, hearses and other services stop deploying vehicles, and cycle between 2-3 deployed, instead of the max?  My current city is only at 200k now, and I don't think I've hit it, but when I was using that city tile unlock mod and I got to about 500k it started happening, the city had tons of transit though.

And I'm not clear on the limit expanded, is that on city tiles?  I still only have an option of 3x3, does it require restarting the city?  What exactly does 50% increased building and zone limit mean?

[edit] Just read the thread, agent limit is still not fixed, even with 3x3 you can still hit it, that's lame, especially with very high powered computers that can handle it.  But it looks like there was some building and zone limit.  Interesting that I hit the agent limit before the building/zone limit on my 25 tile city.  I guess I didn't have enough elevated roads/rail to make it matter, apparently the pillars count as buildings.

From what I've read the agent max is not fixable because of how integer types were used in the development, which is likely why they limited the tile amount to 3x3 to begin with.  Too bad, amazing game otherwise.

Edited by BarkersCities  

Share this comment