Ring of Fire

• Entries
  • Comments
  • Views

Regional Expansion

blunder

zROF-HEAD-2.jpg?psid=1

31. Regional Expansion

Hello again everyone! Welcome back to another update. As you may have noticed I've been whipping up some maps, so it's time to incorporate a couple of them into my Region. As the city of Zanarkand expands, the agricultural demand to feed all the new mouths in the area is increasing. Due to the limited terrain that is suitable for farming, the Great Council has decided to begin exploring and colonizing other lands. One team of explorers traveled east up the Bluewater river, then ranged up the Deschutes river until they reached it's headwaters in the high country of the Lower Cascades. The Deschutes region, being on the east side of the cascades, has a drier climate than the Ring of Fire proper. Yet it still has an abundance of rich volcanic soil and smooth lands ready for farming with just a little irrigation to survive the worst of summer.

Deschutes%20RC2.jpg?psid=1

The other exploratory mission set out by ship along the coast of the Great Sea, heading west. Making a short crossing of the northern seas they encountered a western island-continent and traveled up the mouth of the largest river on it's east coast. The land they found is covered in thick forests, and just into the mountains lies a massive river delta. Far to the southwest, volcanoes can be seen spewing fire.

This region is called Kamchatskiy (and will be available shortly on the stex):

Kamchatka%20RC.jpg?psid=1

Kamchatka is blanketed by conifer forests.

01%20woods%20island.jpg?psid=1

A lava dome to the southwest shows that the land only sleeps, never dies.

02%20lava%20dome.jpg?psid=1

So there's the new additions to the region.

----------------------

I suppose I should throw some more pictures in to make it a 'proper' update

1. Back in the Ring of Fire, a trail on the east flank of Mt. St. Helens:

04%20trail%202.jpg?psid=1

2. Below, the trail crosses a meltwater scree.

03%20trail%20fjord.jpg?psid=1

3. Above, it can be seen that the scree has formed along the side of an old lava flow.

07%20divide%202.jpg?psid=1

4. The lava flow is young enough that there is only enough soil on top of it for grasses, which bushes and alpine firs cover the older slopes.

06%20divide%201.jpg?psid=1

5. Nearby a waterfall tumbles down the side of the mountain.

09%20wf%202.jpg?psid=1

6. Moar.

08%20wf%201.jpg?psid=1

And that's a wrap. Thanks for stopping by everyone! Just so you're warned, Real Life Syndrome is going to dominate much of my month, and maybe June too, so updates will still be sporadic at best. Sorry about that but it's not like i have much choice. Feel free to drop comments below and/or bump that +1 to your bottom right.

zROF%20REPLY.jpg?psid=1

@jowert20: Those warehouses are by somy (iirc) and are available on his web site.

@ten trillion, ggamus, gugu3, ggianfra, schulmanator: Thanks very much to all you guys for your great comments!

12 Comments

Recommended Comments

Your terrains horrify me... but only because I wonder how much time you must be spending creating such picturesque landscapes... amazing work!

Share this comment

I found a typo... you spelled more like moer. :)

I'm taking one point off for the typo

:D JK 5/5 This look really great!

Share this comment

Damn! That looks amazing! How do you get waterfalls? I could really do with some.

Also what tree set are you using? But man this looks great! Well done! :)

Share this comment