31 posts in this topic Last Reply

• Original Poster
  • 11 hours ago, Jewish_Banana said:

Are these vehicles from the LA mod over at the Emergency 4 forums?

Yeah, I'm importing these. It would be a crime to not give them a second life in Cities: Skylines. When I run out of things to import, I will probably do something by myself. But for now, it's a nice introduction to Blender and modding.

Anyway, both BSL and ASL ambulances are there. Original Post has been updated.

The coroners van seems a little too big, especially compared to the ambulance cars, you might scale it down a bit so it fits better ;)

Also some hints on preparing those models:

1. (As I already wrote in steam) smooth all normals in blenders edge mode. After that select those edges who are intended to be the models edges and set them to "sharp" - Doing so will let the surface of the car look smooth. Right now you can see the polygons on the coroners van ingame ;)
    2. Use at least specular maps. They are easy to create and add reflections to the model - so it will look more natural :)
    3. Reduce brightness and saturation of the original textures (I usually decrease both by 50% - CS displays them super-bright and saturated!)

• Original Poster
  • 19 hours ago, Delta2k5 said:

The coroners van seems a little too big, especially compared to the ambulance cars, you might scale it down a bit so it fits better ;)

Also some hints on preparing those models:

1. (As I already wrote in steam) smooth all normals in blenders edge mode. After that select those edges who are intended to be the models edges and set them to "sharp" - Doing so will let the surface of the car look smooth. Right now you can see the polygons on the coroners van ingame ;)
    2. Use at least specular maps. They are easy to create and add reflections to the model - so it will look more natural :)
    3. Reduce brightness and saturation of the original textures (I usually decrease both by 50% - CS displays them super-bright and saturated!)

https://gyazo.com/0102178bf615a05b51eac800ec4dad4d.png

Thanks, man! It's already looking a lot better, notice the "smooth" windshield vs "rough" edges of everything else. Unfortunately, the model has most vertices "disconnected/unmerged" (ex. Where 5 faces connect, they actually don't. There's 5 vertices in one exact place, etc.), so I have to play with it to make it smoothy. This was also my first imported model, it doesn't even have a nice thumbnail. I will add a little reflections. The reason I did not add them yet to any of my models, is because I don't like them, they look "out of place" on our low-res, blocky vehicles (through, reflections on big glassy skyscrapers are fine, huh). I will also play with brightness and saturation.

[[edit: Extreme "Remove Doubles" makes some great futuristic shapes: https://gyazo.com/4a95a33eb14d5e350b585b3cd85e617e.png]]

Also, I've got this fire truck here. Somehow, it's got two separate diffuse texture files, and UV map is all messed up and needs to be separated. Expect the release in a few days, a week at most.

70c11231588aa7a2bba19a3c9324043f.png

If the normals are right and the polies are connected the reflections won't mess up :) only if the normals are off (so the surface isn't smooth) they look like broken glass ;)

If you take a look on my Ford Transit at the workshop it's also kinda lowpoly (3391 Tris) ;)

Textures are most important on those low poly models as they add the amount of detail needed :)

Umm... you already did some good optimizations, but still that could be better ;)

Do you see the strange shadows on the vehicles sides, next to the wheels? That happen when all edges are smooth. If you want correct shadows you must set all edges of an "wall" to "sharp" - like at the wheels housing, the roof, the back and so on. I might add some picture of one model I converted so you'll know what I mean ;)

Another thing is the vehicles size: the firetruck is too small, the coroner van is still too big. The best way for me to get it scaled correctly is to use one of the headlights as a reference. It seems like the position is in meters, so you could look up the height of the original car / truck and set the light to it's roof first. You then can see if the model is too big or too small and import it with some other scale ;)

• Original Poster
  • 20 hours ago, Delta2k5 said:

(...)

Thanks for the help, again! I think I get the whole smooth/sharp thing now, so it should be fixed now. The scale should be okay-ish now, but I've had my fair share of confusion when searching for information on the truck.

The fire truck is something like this one. According to their drawings it's as wide as 96 inches, and that's around 2,44 meters, that's a lot. And almost 3 meters tall, which seems reasonable for a big fire truck (?). I've even had trouble finding names of my trucks. But yeah, I just made it around 2 meters wide, so it won't "stand out" too much. It's pretty much the size of a default agriculture tractor-trailer. Standard width, any wider and it will clip into other cars when on a small road.

http://www.extraalarm.org/Roving_trips/roving_13/Roving13_Day07.php

Here you got some info on the models ;) at least you can guess the exact trucks type :)

Refering to the LAMODS site:

EMS:

• ALS / BLS /LAX Ambulances = Ford E350 Ambulance Cars
    • The "Vintage" Ambulance does also seem to be a '90 Ford E350 like this one: ca_los_angeles_county_ems_mobile_aid_158
    • Coroner Van = '98 Ford E150
    • Mass Casualty Unit seems to be some Freightliner FL chassis, probably FL70

LAFD

• Engine 1 = '96 Pierce Arrow 1500/500
    • Engine 2 = '03 Pierce Arrow XT Pumper
    • Foam Tender seems to be some Freightliner FL chassis, probably FL70
    • USAR Squad = '03 Pierce Arrow XT USAR Truck
    • Heavy Rescue = Peterbilt 385 Heavy Rescue Truck
    •  

to be continued!

• Original Poster
  • First, a little apology, as I've been pretty busy recently. And now, a little teaser of what I've recently been working on. These are all around 800-1100 tris with 1024x512 textures each.I'm aiming for low-resource models, with nice textures and all that. So far, I've got (left to right) Ford Explorer, Chevrolet Impala, Ford Taurus, Ford Crown Victoria, Chevrolet Volt. I'm also planning on doing some variants of both Chevrolet Express and Ford F555, and maybe even Chevrolet Suburban. After I'm done with these, 

These will be made into police cars with Chicago, San Francisco and maybe Boston liveries.

untitled.png

Awesome set of wheels!
    Any chance you could also release them as civilian versions? I think I have at least 3 or 4 different vehicles per emergency category already (which should be enough for my departments, given the budget cuts I subject them to :D ), but I would love to see these cars drive around my city.

• Original Poster
  • 1 minute ago, Judazzz said:

Awesome set of wheels!
    Any chance you could also release them as civilian versions? I think I have at least 3 or 4 different vehicles per emergency category already (which should be enough for my departments, given the budget cuts I subject them to), but I would love to see these cars drive around my city.

Opps! My English failed on me. Civilian versions will be released soon, I just need to get hang of the whole variable colour thing and fix some minor UV map errors. These five cars will come in first, and then I will do Ford F350 (not F550) and Chevrolet Express, and maybe Suburban or Tahoe.

• Original Poster
  • 24 minutes ago, kikiw said:

Are you dead, mister?

It's only been 9 days since my last reply, I will try to get these two done and released this week. I just need to play with the colours to find the balance.

2aa1c5f1dae89f7174617ef658f2b44a.png

On 11/13/2016 at 0:52 PM, dreamixpl said:

love the props and vehicles.  very clean ingame... well before the ND update broke it, once mods are sorted in a few days i will get to see the newest ones. awesome work!

And done! http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=799194707 That's it for today, Next is the Crown Victoria, but that's for tomorrow. Feedback appreciated.

20161113175159_1 - Kopia.jpg

• Original Poster
  • On 30.11.2016 at 7:35 PM, dreesedatalink said:

I love the props and vehicles, dear Sir. They're very clean ingame... Well, before the ND update broke it, once mods are sorted in a few days I will get to see the newest ones. That's awesome work, sir!

Well, I too had some problems with assets and mods after the update, but normal assets shouldn't really be affected and mine should be working as intended. Make sure to see this reddit thread if you're still having problems.

Anyway, I've released the Ford 26E & 26T pack. I'm very proud of these two, with the minimalistic design and custom little red star decal.

677b51ba42562c11bfb48239d2f6718d.png