89James89

The Island Nation of Sinatora (Entry 6: Going vertical!)

38 posts in this topic Last Reply

OOC:

Hey everyone and welcome to my new Cities Skylines journal. Now for everyone that's worrying that this means that Gasbtoria is cancelled it isn't, I just wanted to try playing the game without any mods or custom content which, thanks to launch commands I can easily do while not losing all the stuff I need for Gabtoria.

Now anyone whos seen any of my SC4 journals probably knew at some point that this was coming and as usual I'll only be using officially released content from CO. On top of that as CO built it into the game for us I will be allowing myself to use the Asset Editor as long as I only use CO models in my Assets.

Now as you've probably realised this means that I wont be building huge cities as I'll only have 9 tiles to work with but I'll make sure I use the maps to get around this fact.

Anyway without any more rambling from me let's get on with the new journal!

Sinatora Island's

Hello everyone. This Journal will focus the small island nation of Sinatora and growth from uninhabited to hopefully bustling. First however lets take a look at a little history of the tiny nation.

location_in_world_entry_1.jpg

Located here a little way off the coast of North-West Australia and Indonesia, this small island chain was recently prospected by the British for its potential mineral and resources. With these potential gains the a number of people from several countries were attracted to the islands alongside the original British people that had moved out to begin harvesting the resources.

Originally the first settlement was on one of the central islands where resources were brought in to begin the construction process but the geologists had apparently discovered the greatest potential on the southern island (now Sinatoa) so the original landing never really received much in the way of a actual settlement.

Now with their sites set on the southern island construction began on a (rather cheaply built) highway to bring materials in and resources out of the island however it didn't go entirely to plan.

Miscalculations on behalf of the geologists meant that the actual resources on the island were a lot less than the expected amounts and as such, interest in the project ran dry pretty quickly. Without any investors the projects began on the island namely the highway was left as it stood as the construction crews moved off island.

Still, there were people on the island who couldn't just up sticks and leave and as such the area was slowly turned over to the few hundred citizens that were left.

Anyway before we start looking at the where these few hundred are now lets take a look at the island as it was before support pulled out.

Sinatoa Islands

Sinatoa_Island_s_overview_entry_1.jpg

The southern most islands in the chain this is where the main operation was meant to commence before the venture fell through. As you can see the islands only really have the one large inhabitable island surrounded by a number of smaller uninhabitable ones. In the centre of Sinatoa you can also see Mt Sina, and extinct volcano that has still given the island a rather rich tree loving soil hence the huge amount of trees present.

You can see where the road got to construction wise in the above overview before it was halted.

Below you can also see several closer images from the island showing the 3 bridges that lead to the island, the very southern tip of the island with the Lands End Lagoon ,Mt Sina and the area where we'll be taking a closer look at next, Sinato Sandbanks.

Three_Bridges_entry_1.jpg

Land_s_End_Lagoon_entry_1.jpg

Mt_Sina_entry_1.jpg

Sinatoa_Sandbanks_initial_area_entry_1.j

Introducing the town of Sinato

Now as mentioned, when the island was abandoned by the investors and support fell through a few hundred settlers were left behind to fend for themselves. Using the end of the highway over the intervening years the small town of Sinato has gradually developed.

Centred around the this small park in the centre of town, it grew around the small sheltered Sinato Sandbanks.

Centre_of_town_entry_1.jpg

As you can see the town looks doesn't look too hard done by espicially when you look at some of the houses that are alongside the centre of the town.

Nice_hosuing_entry_1.jpg

However, heading towards the other side of the town where you'll find the small nations attempts at being environmentally friendly with the wind farms and also the uglier side of the town in the form of the shanties.

not_so_nice_housing_entry_1.jpg

With the power lines running through the middle of the shanties and the looming presence of the windfarm, you'd be forgiven for assuming that the area was a complete mess, but its not all that bad. Sure the quality of life isn't the same as in the centre of the town but for most here its just a stop gap while they save to afford their own larger more permanent home.

Also living here isn't the end to any social standing as the two sides seem to happily intermingle with no hostility on either side.

Anyway, before we leave off from this introduction to the small islands, we have a panoramic view of the developed area with Mt Sina reaching upwards behind it.

Entry_1_panorama_entry_1.jpg

Anyway be sure to check back when next time we'll take a look at the industries present on the island as the inhabitants strive to support themselves and grow a economy.

(OOC: So as you can see its a bit different to Gabtoria. The plan is for it to be a bit more serious in the way that its written and more organised in the actual structure of the towns. This doesn't mena that the entire thing will be planned out as I like developing naturally but it does mean that I'll be puitting more emphasise on the asethetic look of the settlements.

Anyway hope you all enjoyed this first look a the island.

Cheers

James)

Edited by 89James89  

• Original Poster
  • Replies:

Schulmanator: Thanks, hope you continue to check back in!

Carnivorous: Thanks and I'm glad you like the map. It took a while to get how I liked it but I think it'll work well for this project!

lew1984: Thanks, glad your enjoying it!

akot378: Cheers, lets hope we can continue with the good start!

Entry 2: Industrial Endeavours

In the second part of our introduction to the small town of Sinato entry we'll take a look at the backbone of the growing town in form of its industrial economy.

industrial_workhorse_entry_2.jpg

Yes that's it.

Still with the population only being a couple of thousand the small scale industrial areas do make sense.

Coupled with the fact that shipping items into and out of the island at the current point in time is both time and money consuming, a lot of this industry is simply there to provide food and goods for the people living in Sinato.

As you can see from the following images the area isn't exactly the nicest to work in with the towns dumps in the centre of the industrial estate. and is completely opposed to the tiny governments attempts at a environmentally friendly area.

polluting_factories_entry_2.jpg

opposing_features_entry_2.jpg

Still its a necessary evil for the town to survive (quite literally in the case of the farms below)

feeding_the_islanders_entry_2.jpg

Unfortunately though we do have a slight issue in that the attempts the government have made to provide education to the residents of the town have resulted in people not wanting to work on the farms resulting in many of them becoming abandoned and a real risk of food shortage becoming increasingly likely.

abandonment_issues_entry_2.jpg

Still the locals have tried to make the roundabout that marks the entrance to the town a little more inviting with a little landscaping. Not that it adds much but it gives them something to do and makes them feel better about the whole industrial area that marks the entrance.

highway_completion_entry_2.jpg

And that's all for the look at the industry in the small town. At the moment the aim is to combat the increasing reluctance to work on the farms so we'll have to see how we manage that in future looks at the town.

For now though we'll leave you with another Panorama of the small town showing the whole thing.

Town_panoramic_entry_2.jpg

Sinatora Government Correspondant

Nice update :)
    You can actually feel the area grow. I like that roundabout. It is always a pain for me, trying to build one. The ploppables are nice, but I always wanted a good one with 1-way in / 1-way out like your highway exit/entrance. They always get screwed up when I try that, because they morph into some egg-style road :(

They always get screwed up when I try that, because they morph into some egg-style road :(

I ran into that problem as well when first playing this game, but it's actually quite easy to fix. I wanted to explain it here in detail, but I found a video that does exactly that:

http://e-ring.jp/cities-skylines-tutorial-roundabouts.html

The trick is to keep the 'internal structure' of the roundabout when connecting the roads. That way it will keep it's shape. Using this method you can make the nicest roundabouts, and you are not limited to just perfect circles either.

I hope this will help you on our way.    :D

• Original Poster
  • Replies:

Carnivorous: Thanks and I have the same thing happening slightly as I've had to change the roundabout a little bit but essentially as AgeKay said I find its easier to help keep the structure by joining the opposite roads first rather than going round and joining all the entrances in order.

AgeKay: Yup that's pretty much what I do with mine as well.

Craig-AbvcsThanks and it sure does, the map itself is completely tweaked to playing the game without CS as it only really has 9 buildable squares but I'm quite fond of it.

Entry 3: Spreading Out

In this look at Sinatoa we see some rural spread on the island as growth slows down in the main town and people form smaller communities elsewhere on the island.

This has mainly been the case with lower income citizens wanting a more idyllic lifestyle than the shanties in the area known as Campton, leading them to move to areas where the land value isn't as much as the town of Sinato.

Mainly this has happened alongside the various bays that break up the rather rocky outline of the island, with a main settlement (in this case Jintara and Lafefayette), which are still much smaller than Sinato itself serving as the hub for the smaller settlements around them.

Sepoda_Branton_Akatin_and_Jintara_entry_

This is the area East of Sinato with the villages (going left to right) of Sepoda, Branton, Akatin and Jintara. As you can see Jintara is easily the largest of these and as such holds the local police, fire and medical services. The area lso has a small capacity exit and entrance to the main main road allowing access to the area via more than just the dirt roads from Sinato.

Lafayette_Penlei_and_Mangwi_entry_3.jpg

Moving to the otherside of Sinato we have the villages of (left to right again) Lafayette, Penlei and Mangwi, with Lafayette holding the areas services.

As you can see from this close up of Jintara, these villages are little more than random collections of simple houses connected by dirt roads with some shops in the centre.

Jintara_entry_3.jpg

These are still growing fairly quickly though, much faster than the actual town of Sinato (which has seen slow steady and planned growth) which is helping with the workforce issues we were having.

Speaking of growing, the town started having its first real issue several months ago when the entrance roundabout into town started clogging up with vehicles importing goods.

troubles_with_importing_increases.jpg

Now, on the basis that the whole point of the actual economy on Sinatoa being rather insular, importing large amount of goods isn't really what we wanted therefore we took some rather heavy handed approaches and removed a number of the factories and businesses importing the goods, instead relocating them to areas where the ground was fertile enough for them to start producing base products for the island to use.

This helped reduced the amount of traffic on the roundabout but we took the step of modifying the roundabout slightly to reduce the amount of clogging up by having dedicated entrances and exits.

redesigned_entrance_roundabout_and_reduc

Other than that the island hasn't really changed much. downtown Sinato has recently been changed slightly with the addition of a small park to try and prevent the area from becoming too cramped and provide some fun for the younger generation of Sinatoran's.

New_parks_entry_3.jpg

And finally for this entry we'll leave you with the first overview of the developing area of the island showing the growth of the town and the smaller villages.

Sinatora_overview_entry_3.jpg

Looks like it's time to build a sewage treatment plant.

Polluted oceans are a problem because there is no water flow. I had the same problem on my Mauritius map.

• Original Poster
  • Replies:

schmidtbochum: You may we ll be right with the sewage issue but I have a plan which will hopefully solve it. Thanks for the link to help out Linoa as well.

NielsC007: Thanks glad you like how its developing!

Carnivorous: Thanks and the service centres seem ok for the most part. Fire is a bit of a issue though as the fire trucks tend to get stuck behind industrial traffic but hey, that's the problem with living in the middle of a farming complex,

Linoa06: Thanks and to be entirely honest, I just eye ball it for the most part. I do have a bit of experience though due to making my maps but it does take a bit of patience.Try schimidtbochums link though that looks like a pretty good method (if a little long winded) but its easier once you get the hang of it!

mutton noir: Thanks glad it has a island feel. Lol lets hope we don't get hit by a Tsunami!

Entry 4: More Growth

Today were back in Sinato to take a look at more growth that has been happening in the area. Based initially around the growth of the industry in the area namely in the form of increased farming, we see a large influx of new citizens and in turn commercial enterprises coming to the island.

This can be seen in the following images of the growing area showing it in various areas of the island.

Campton

Campton_expansion_entry_4.jpg

Jinatara

Jintara_growing_entry_4.jpg

Sinato

living_in_Sinato_entry_4.jpg

Along with this several beautification projects have been carried out in the main town in the form of this park and greenhoused gardens, behind which you can just about see the seat of the islands government.

Sinatoa_park_entry_4.jpg

Several of the other beautification projects were more a necessity rather than for any greenspace reason due to the fact that the town was built on a hill and is therefore terraced to an extent. This can be seen better in the following photo's.

hilly_town_entry_4.jpg

hilly_town_2_entry_4.jpg

However its not been all smooth sailing. With the large growth of the island to over 10 thousand we have had to increase the power production. This came in the form of these incinerators supplied by the locals dumps. Not exactly as clean as the wind farms that are also expanding around the island , but more efficient and gets rid of a large amount of the rubbish were producing.

Growing_industry_and_incineration_entry_

Another issue that necessitated some change was how busy the interchange for the bottom villages have got with the industrial traffic heading to the farms and such.

interchange_upgrade_entry_4.jpg

However the biggest issue is the one you can see in the next image. Unfortunately the sewage outflow pipes have filled the bay that they were originally pumping into and are now getting dangerously close to the water intake pipes and were not sure if the filtration system in the inflow pipes will cope at all with the sewage water. However we do have a plan to combat this which we hope to reveal soon.

looking_at_a_potential_issue_entry_4.jpg

For now though we'll have to just hope it doesn't get to bad before we can sort it out.

• Original Poster
  • Replies:

Carnivorous: Thanks and I'm not that sure if they will work as we grow, we'll have to see!

Titanicbuff: Thanks and yep, I'm British so it's normal for me

Craig-Abcvs: Read on to find out if we do solve it!

Part 5: Parks and Sewage

Well as you can probably guess from the title this entry is going to partly be about fixing the issue that we ran into last time and fast. Well I can happily say that we have managed to solve the issue rather effectively. Sure it hasn't gone entirely to plan but its working for now.

This plan, was to use more expensive but much better in the long run, sewage treatment plants to try and treat the majority of the sewage before it hit the water and then if possible treat it further via a dam whilst also producing electricity to help the city.

With time being of the essence for the new plan this was the area that we choose to sight the Dam at, the reasoning was that it would be a lot cheaper to use a area already suited to the purpose than try and create a channel.

planned_area_entry_5.jpg

Moving forward several months and thankfully, just in time we have Sanatoa Sewage Treatment Plant. Unfortunately, while the treatment of the water is going brilliantly and the quality of life around Jintara and Campton have increased tenfold, the whole part where its meant to power the turbines in the dam isn't going as well. In fact, its just not going full stop as the water seems to be draining away into the ground.

stage_1_entry_5.jpg

As you can probably see from the above image which is much more up to date there's a good reason we seem to have overlooked as to why the water may be draining and that is that we'd built it on sand. Anyway luckily this doesn't seem to be having a negative impact on the surrounding area yet, probably because its a bit lower than the actual surrounding grassland and has even gone as far to irrigate the nearby farmland. .

Anyway with the next stage of the dam still to be constructed lets take a look at some of the other goings on in Sinato and its surrounds.

Campton_growing_entry_5.jpg

Firstly we've had some expansion to Campton which, due to the fact that the water surrounding it isn't now posing a health hazard has continued to expand , though still with low wealth temporary homes.

Outside the town more and more small settlements are springing up around areas such as industrial parks such as Peges shown here, with its steep dirt streets and living quarters much like Campton its sprung up due to the new nearby logging industry, taking advantage of the large amounts of forest that cover the island.

Peges_entry_5.jpg

Jintara_Forrestry_entry_5.jpg

Now, in complete contrast to the previously shown Campton and Peges, the beautification projects have continues in the centre of Sinato itself. These include the both private beautification like this image of one of the higher wealth areas with their private gardens and a small park.

Posher_housing_in_Sinato_entry_5.jpg

The city has also funded several larger parks like Sinato Hieghts and Bayview Point which can be seen here with Bayview marking the highest accessible point of the city.

Sinato_Hieghts_and_Bayview_Point_entry_5

Unfortunately this probably hasn't helped the whole social and wealth divide that the government is keen but seeing as most of the parks are all open to everyone there hasn't been any real issues as of yet so were not worrying about it. Instead we'll leave you for now with a view of the city and the bay from Bayview Point.

view_from_Bayview_Point_entry_5.jpg

• Original Poster
  • Replies:

Craig-Abcvs: So am I, gotta be a bit patriotic lol.

Mr_Maison: Thanks, glad you like it and the landscaping. Took a while to get it how I wanted it but I think it was worth it in the end.

linoa06:  Thanks glad you like the water treatment plant even if it didnt go entirely to plan!.

As for the roads I think a lot of it has to do with in what context there being used. If I'd told you that I was building a city in the middle of the UK the dirt roads would have looked completely rubbish and out of a palce by a long shot but I think because I've stated its in a country a lot like Indonesia or Malaysia I think that helps them fit in a work a lot better , or at least that's how I see it lol.

Entry 6: Going vertical

Well as you've probably guessed today were going to revisit the city of Sinato and its surrounds after its a seen a large amount of recent vertical growth. With the decision made to house the immigrants flowing into the country into higher buildings rather than continuing to spreading outwards we take a look at some of that vertical growth today in this entry.

Jumping straight in we'll take a look at overview of the city as it currently stands and then take a closer look at some of the areas that you'll find in it.

Sinato_overview_entry_6.jpg

As you can see there are now areas where large housing blocks have taken over as a more efficient means of housing the growing populace of the city. As such areas like these are now commonly popping up as the population continues to grow, where a small communal park is slowly surrounded by tall buildings. As you can see though not all of these new buildings are overly tall, but they can all pack in more families than the old single and two storey houses used too.

tennemnet_nieghbourhood_park_entry_6.jpg

Also due to the terraced nature of the city you can now see strips of commercial premises sepperated, in this case form housing, by the terraces creating several of these wide boulevard streets in the city, all providing small amounts of relaxation in a increasingly noisy and busy city.

shopping_street_entry_6.jpg

Despite the large population gain on the island as we now hit 20,000 citizens and the focus of this entry on vertical growth not all of it has been so. Despite the growth in the centre of the city largely allowing the majority of people who lived in the low wealth places like Campton to move into housing tenements the newer residents of the island are still filling the vacated properties and even spreading outwards. Like can be seen here, this time though on the eastern side of the city rather than Cmapton itself. Although these are still small homes for families as you can see they have been improved from the old shacks that used to populate this area (and also Campton now that the sewage outlets have been removed form the shoreline there).

eastern_dirt_suburbs_entry_6.jpg

They do still have the close knit and confined feel though with all the narrow and muddy streets which as you can see is causing slight issues with access especially for the emergency services.

Meanwhile other knock on effects of a growing population and city centre has been felt in other towns, more so in Garinto than anywhere else. Previously a quiet village on the edge of the city near Campton, it has now been used as the site of a strip mall funded by the government to boost commerce in the growing city, with the main building being the large mall you can see at the front of this picture.

Garinto_Strip_Mall_entry_6.jpg

Other than this there has been some small growth in the various settlements around the region as well as a few new ones springing up. Mostly though like the large amount of growth that has occurred in Sinato this has occurred in the larger settlements such as Jintara (shown here) and Lafeyette.

Jintara_growing_entry_6.jpg

All this growth however has led to several rising issues the most prominent being the growth of traffic on the roads, mainly the motorway into the city which has led to this rather odd interchange/ termination of the motorway outside the city.

new_interchange_still_causing_chaos_entr

Now although this looks fine at the moment it does have its spikes of tailback and its not going to be long before traffic starts to build up in the centre of the actual city. As such there are currently ongoing talks regarding the creation of a through city highway, though these are pretty early stage at the moment so we don't actually have any solid information on them for the time being so instead lets finish this entry with a overview of what the island currently looks like.

Island_overview_entry_6.jpg

I see you have dirt roads and paved roads...  are there other options in-between like gravel?

I don't have C:S ...  yet...

Not yet... just dirt and paved.  Gravel would be nice.  In fact, I wonder if someone made a mod of it. :)