Sign in to follow this  
Mr Saturn64

Why no love, or, ANYTHING for Cities XL

41 posts in this topic Last Reply

I love Cities XL. I don't get why nobody else does. The game is a lot like Sim City 4. I like to think about it as an upgraded Sim City 4.

The gameplay is very similar. You can zone, like in SC4 the residential, commercial, industrial areas, which works for your advantage, except here you can decide the social class of the area. Rich people? Less rich? Average? You choose. Same goes for the commercial, with the shops being low class or higher density, like wi residential. The recreational buildings can also be put, and they vary from parks and sports to theaters. You can also zone industrial, choosing heavy industry, manufacturing, hi tech, an offices. Wy are offices industrial? That's just a pet peeve of mine, nothing major.

The graphics, not like they matter that much, are good as well. The visuals in this game are great. The camera... Could..... Be better, but it's ok. The music is also good. Nothing much to say about that.

But the thing that's best is the variety of buildings. There's Caribbean style homes on the shore with a medieval style, along with a Chinatown. Each one comes with special buildings, like hotels, and a palace for China and a church for Europe. There is a variety in architecture, with small homes and mansions, big skyscrapers for homes, offices, and some shops. There are also a bunch of landmarks, varying from Megastructures to regular landmarks. The Megastructures are kind of odd as some are greatly oversized. Notre Dame looks like it's 600 feet tall. (I cold go for a 600 foot Notre Dame, but...). But they go by continent, and it is the only city building game I've played to include the Himeji Castle, Sacre Couer, and St Patrick's Cathedral. The regular landmarks are good too, and come with a bunch.

The transit in this game is unfortunately limited. The roads come in great lengths and variety, as do the bridges and highways. As for mass transit, you have a bus and metro company, and bus and metro lines can be set throughout the city. Bt there are mods available for more transit options. The roads can also curve, and roundabouts and circular centers are also available in game by default.

Reginal gameplay is shown here, but with a "world" which is a neat little planet. This makes for large intercity connections via highways, airports, and seaports. You can trade between cities, and and you gain tokens for what your city specializes in. This can make for a large world gameplay.

Overall, Cites XL is a great game. I just don't get why no one else thinks so.

Cities XL was made by a small company that had limited resources for marketing and distribution as opposed to a behemoth like EA.  They also soured the waters amongst this community early on in much the same way Sim City 2013 did.  Also, I believe that there is or was a website that focused on Cities XL that seemed to become the center for the game as opposed to Simtropolis.

There is indeed a much more popular and active community for Cities XL at XL Nation, which has over 60,000 members (along with a countless number of mods) and growing. Check it out.  ;)

I was thinking about buying this during the weekend steam sale.  What's the difference between Platinum and 2011 versions?  Cities XL 2011 is on sale for $5.00.  What all do you get in Platinum?

From what I have read on the forums on the Steam community and XLnation. there isn't any difference, except you get 50 new buildings that weren't included in the previous versions. I have the game City Life which is the first version of this game and I have to say that after getting Cities XL Platinum and playing it for a bit and going through the tutorials, that I am very impressed with how much they added to it and how easy it is to play and the flexability it has with making roads and putting in your zones is a lot better than before. I especially like the planet setup and the ability to actually have a trade of resources with the NPC game corporation or your own cities and towns for cheaper rates.

only drawback would be the mass transit but like Mr. Saturn said those can be added in by patches/ mods. Which I am trying to figure out at the moment how & which program you have to use to do so. City Life never had these options. I feel it was worth spending $10.20 on it rather than $29.99 at regular price. I myself prefer to get the newest version of a game. The choice is basically up to you though.

http://xlnation.net/content/sport-center This was imported into Cities XL from City Life and they were both made by Monte Cristo as was Cities 2008, 2009, 2011, 2012 and last but not least Platinum. I never said anything about them being the same game. I pointed out it was a vast improvement to what they had made previously, many years ago. Sorry if you cannot understand what I have written because I won't be specific. I guess though it was important to point this out too you though. You'll find there are quite a few buildings on XLnation that have been imported over from City Life and I'm not gonna waste anymore time linking those, just that one up above is enough. Have a nice day. :D

http://xlnation.net/content/sport-center This was imported into Cities XL from City Life and they were both made by Monte Cristo as was Cities 2008, 2009, 2011, 2012 and last but not least Platinum. I never said anything about them being the same game. I pointed out it was a vast improvement to what they had made previously, many years ago. Sorry if you cannot understand what I have written because I won't be specific. I guess though it was important to point this out too you though. You'll find there are quite a few buildings on XLnation that have been imported over from City Life and I'm not gonna waste anymore time linking those, just that one up above is enough. Have a nice day. :D

You said that City Life is the first version of this game, in a CitiesXL subforum.  :whatevs:

Sorry if you cannot understand what you have written. Have a nice day. :D

You said that City Life is the first version of this game, in a CitiesXL subforum.  :whatevs:

Well I guess the fact that you can take the buildings from City Life and convert them over to Cities XL etc.. has nothing to do with it being made by the same company then? As a matter a fact though after doing some researching you have City Life, City Life 2008, Cities 2009, Cities 2010 and so on until they were bought out by Focus Home who just repackaged the same game 3 times. They changed the worker classes names, except for the elites and added a lot of content to it and thus they have what it is today. Unfornately you must have never seen the original City Life game? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/City_Life_(computer_game) It's made by the same people and it's owned by Focus home also. If you read down near the bottom on the page it says "See Also" Cities XL. So to prove my point it is a different version of this game which is the first version. I never said it was the same game. Those are two different things.

Blah Blah Blah...

Well I guess the fact that you can take the buildings from City Life and convert them over to Cities XL etc.. has nothing to do with it being made by the same company then? As a matter a fact though after doing some researching you have City Life, City Life 2008, Cities 2009, Cities 2010 and so on until they were bought out by Focus Home who just repackaged the same game 3 times. They changed the worker classes names, except for the elites and added a lot of content to it and thus they have what it is today. Unfornately you must have never seen the original City Life game? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/City_Life_(computer_game) It's made by the same people and it's owned by Focus home also. If you read down near the bottom on the page it says "See Also" Cities XL. So to prove my point it is a different version of this game which is the first version. I never said it was the same game. Those are two different things.

Blah Blah Blah... I can't believe you two are having an argument about this... What counts IS that you both like Cities XL whatever.. I certainly hope that they can get their site back up and running... I'm going to donate some more cash every little bit helps .. hint hint..

Lol, ain't it a little pointless to respond to an argument that happened over a month ago? :lost:

Also, on a personal note about Cities XL, I think City Life ruined it for me. When I first got the game, it was alright and exploring City Life (and it's 3D engine) was fun for a while, but it seemed so limited and the architectural palette was so small. I so every building there was to see and it got so boring considering that there was only two types of building for each social class building density. Wasn't overly impressed with the graphics either, and that can be quite a biggy for me. May be I'm just picky and assume everything from City Life applied to CXL, but Cities XL doesn't do it for me. SimCity 4 is by far better IMHO. Plus I used SC4 for more artistic purposes more often than conventional play, something CXL doesn't really offer as well :P

Thanks, I hadn't even noticed the date... We're all entitled to our opinion, personally while SC4 has an outrageous amount of content to select from... It's just too primitive looking for me play anymore, once I started with Cities XL... I'm a highway and freeway geek,, and SC4 never satisfied me even with the "NAM" it just seemed entirely too limiting..The freedom that you get with Cities XL (and thats mainly because of Pitty's RHW mod) makes it the choice for me... and this comes from someone who did indeed play SC4 for many years...

Well, I guess it all comes down to how you use the game :P Like I said, I don't really play conventionally as much anymore, and use it for developing more aesthetically pleasing pics and making scenes that one wouldn't usually make on the game. Since CXL doesn't allow for that kind of artistic creativity, not my kind of game, but gameplay isn't so bad from the looks of it (but the graphics are still so bad imo) :P

City life was sort of an alpha-beta development for Cities XL.

Differences between Cities XL 2011 and Cities XL Platinum:

* Several bug fixes, any possible upcoming patch compatible only with Platinum

* over 400 new buildings

* More maps

* Better compatibility with current and future mods

* Better compatibility for possible new releases, DLC's etc.

I like Cities XL a lot, it's an awesome city builder/simulator. For a big city though - one needs a gfx that has some kick.

Only real downside is the lack of RAIL (commuter and intercity), but luckily there is metro, and TRAM mod available at xlnation.net. Also there is FERRY mod available.

I really do hope that either FHI or the community brings the RAIL forth. Then the game would be a perfect diamond.

I have the game, and it's fun! I just fail at making roads look good because I'm too used to the grid of SC4. :P

The modding community is also pretty awesome! The NEXL is actually based off the NAM, so they maybe a little bit of copycats. :P

Someone also made a mod similar to the RHW, I kinda fail using that because I'm to used to dragging via starters. :P

Unlike SC4, the game defines the type of workers (Elite, blue collar, etc.) and if you zone blue collar residents, you have to zone a matching commercial blue collar offices. In SC4, it doesn't matter, just zone residential, commercial, and industrial, and your ready to start the simulation. So that kinda bugs me.

Another thing that bugs me in CXL, are the resources. If you want to build an oil power plant, you need to find a plot of land rich in oil. If you need water, you need to find a swampy plot of land. But that's just me because I'm too used to SC4. :P

Overall, Cities XL is a pretty fun game, I'd give it a 7/10. Of course, nothing beats SimCity 4. ;)

• Original Poster
  • In all honesty, I hold Cities XL and Sim City 4 as equals.

City life was sort of an alpha-beta development for Cities XL.

Differences between Cities XL 2011 and Cities XL Platinum:

* Several bug fixes, any possible upcoming patch compatible only with Platinum

* over 400 new buildings

* More maps

* Better compatibility with current and future mods

* Better compatibility for possible new releases, DLC's etc.

I like Cities XL a lot, it's an awesome city builder/simulator. For a big city though - one needs a gfx that has some kick.

Only real downside is the lack of RAIL (commuter and intercity), but luckily there is metro, and TRAM mod available at xlnation.net. Also there is FERRY mod available.

I really do hope that either FHI or the community brings the RAIL forth. Then the game would be a perfect diamond.

somebody made a mod based on my request. :)

I personally like Cities XL Platinum overall.  Even though there isn't as much custom content as SC4, it's understandable being a newer game.  I do find that the UI is not very user friendly and it does get on my nerves at times.  I would have to say that my biggest annoyance with the game would be the "grass patches" on the roads (graphical glitch) which ruins the aesthetics of your city when making a CJ (I know there are workarounds to that but they don't always work).  Nevertheless, it's still quite addicting game.  SC4 will always be my favourite though.

I'm curious, what are your computer specs... my computer lags too, but I'm working on a city with 40 million people, i have dual core AMD 3.1 ghz, 4gbt RAM, 4gbt nvidia 630 GT video card... my CPU is overclocked slightly as is my video card

I can say that I love both SC4 and CXL. It is hard to find good mods for CXL though (I have the Platinum version). I can say that the real problem with CXL is the lag (But that maybe becuse of my computer. Its old :P ). SC4 definatly has more going for it for me especially when you can create your own regions and can shape the land of your city before creating it.

I just purchased Cities XL Platinum, and I have to say, I'm quite impressed with it so far. The lag issue hasn't been too bad yet, but to be fair, I haven't even reached 50,000 yet, so I can't say much yet. Either way, that's still a pleasant surprise considering I've maxed out all visual quality settings on a mediocre, partially fried video card on a 2.7Ghz cheap Athlon. :P

I can see why many from the existing SC4 community would prefer it over CXL, however. The mod community is much stronger, and it performs much better on lower-grade hardware. I also must admit that the user interface of CXL, as well as the lack of features such as disasters, is a bit of a letdown. 

Either way, with that said, I am not at all disappointing in the game, but I can see why the CXL community has become more and more separate from the existing SC4 community. Although I am still new to the CXL community, it does seem that it does in fact have a strong, active community outside of Simtropolis. 

I just purchased Cities XL Platinum, and I have to say, I'm quite impressed with it so far. The lag issue hasn't been too bad yet, but to be fair, I haven't even reached 50,000 yet, so I can't say much yet. Either way, that's still a pleasant surprise considering I've maxed out all visual quality settings on a mediocre, partially fried video card on a 2.7Ghz cheap Athlon. :P

I can see why many from the existing SC4 community would prefer it over CXL, however. The mod community is much stronger, and it performs much better on lower-grade hardware. I also must admit that the user interface of CXL, as well as the lack of features such as disasters, is a bit of a letdown. 

Either way, with that said, I am not at all disappointing in the game, but I can see why the CXL community has become more and more separate from the existing SC4 community. Although I am still new to the CXL community, it does seem that it does in fact have a strong, active community outside of Simtropolis. 

May the force be with you Darth!

I am glad to read your high-level summary and comparison between the two.  I've attempted to get CXL a few years back but didn't because of the details discussed by other's experiences on several forums.  I may have misread or someone posted incorrectly that CXL required that segments operate from "online" or you are required to have an online profile in order for some of the functions to work?  Again, that could have been a totally false or inaccurate post by someone.  And that was my deciding factor to stick with a stand-alone .

I find SC4 , even on a fast computer that I have run fine until installing the NAM 31 mod plus when the city gets a certain size. My city  got choppy but tolerable at 150k population where 90% of the entire tile is used.  but , if you've said you've experienced tolerable choppiness before 50k, I wonder how it functions under 150k?

Your review does make me want to purchase CXL and give it a spin! I know I will like it too.

I am glad to read your high-level summary and comparison between the two.  I've attempted to get CXL a few years back but didn't because of the details discussed by other's experiences on several forums.  I may have misread or someone posted incorrectly that CXL required that segments operate from "online" or you are required to have an online profile in order for some of the functions to work?  Again, that could have been a totally false or inaccurate post by someone.  And that was my deciding factor to stick with a stand-alone .

I find SC4 , even on a fast computer that I have run fine until installing the NAM 31 mod plus when the city gets a certain size. My city  got choppy but tolerable at 150k population where 90% of the entire tile is used.  but , if you've said you've experienced tolerable choppiness before 50k, I wonder how it functions under 150k?

Your review does make me want to purchase CXL and give it a spin! I know I will like it too.

Yeah, I've enjoyed it quite a bit since the day that I purchased it. I have been quite pleasantly surprised so far, despite some of the game's well-known flaws. Cities XL is basically a lot like Simcity 4, except that most things generally operate at a much larger scale, and the simulation is more realistic and complex. The platinum version has over 1,000 buildings, and because there is only a limited set of lot sizes (high density zones are larger), it ends up producing quite a lot of variety in the development. Also, all versions since 2011 (including Platinum) are offline, so there is no online requirement (and I'm glad, given that it makes the gigantic maps of Cities XL a possibility :D ).

The game is significantly more complicated than Simcity 4. There are more resources to work with, and unlike SImcity 4, if the farms aren't there, the food just doesn't pop up out of nowhere. Omnicorp does help out a little with that, but overall, many resources, such as food, fuel, etc... actually do need to be provided and maintained much more closely in Cities XL. It adds a very unique element to the gameplay and is quite challenging and fun at the same time. Also, being able to control the wealth level of all neighborhoods is something you won't see in Simcity either. Cities XL allows you not only to define density, but the wealth level of all zones. 

As far as performance is concerned, I just broke 100,000 today, and I'm still not experiencing any major performance issues. The framerate is a bit choppy, but I'm still getting decent graphics and performance overall with minimal lag, which is quite nice considering my relatively low-end machine. I've heard that around 150,000 or so, a memory leak issue comes into play, but I haven't run into any such issues yet. There are still a few glitches that are a bit annoying, however, such as the road textures not being very compatible with slopes. The ground shows through in random spots around mountainous areas, making it harder to develop rougher terrains.

Overall, I'd strongly recommend it. The game generally gets "average" ratings from what I can tell, but so far, I'd personally easily be willing to give it an 8/10, at least based on my experience so far. I honestly think I'm enjoying it more than I've enjoyed SC4 in a long time. 

It would be nice if there was as active a community for the game as for Simcity 4. It has far more potential than Simcity2013, but alas seems untapped largely. Hopefully modding on the game will continue apace and provide for insufficiencies.

Yeah, I've enjoyed it quite a bit since the day that I purchased it. I have been quite pleasantly surprised so far, despite some of the game's well-known flaws. Cities XL is basically a lot like Simcity 4, except that most things generally operate at a much larger scale, and the simulation is more realistic and complex. The platinum version has over 1,000 buildings, and because there is only a limited set of lot sizes (high density zones are larger), it ends up producing quite a lot of variety in the development. Also, all versions since 2011 (including Platinum) are offline, so there is no online requirement (and I'm glad, given that it makes the gigantic maps of Cities XL a possibility :D ).

The game is significantly more complicated than Simcity 4. There are more resources to work with, and unlike SImcity 4, if the farms aren't there, the food just doesn't pop up out of nowhere. Omnicorp does help out a little with that, but overall, many resources, such as food, fuel, etc... actually do need to be provided and maintained much more closely in Cities XL. It adds a very unique element to the gameplay and is quite challenging and fun at the same time. Also, being able to control the wealth level of all neighborhoods is something you won't see in Simcity either. Cities XL allows you not only to define density, but the wealth level of all zones. 

As far as performance is concerned, I just broke 100,000 today, and I'm still not experiencing any major performance issues. The framerate is a bit choppy, but I'm still getting decent graphics and performance overall with minimal lag, which is quite nice considering my relatively low-end machine. I've heard that around 150,000 or so, a memory leak issue comes into play, but I haven't run into any such issues yet. There are still a few glitches that are a bit annoying, however, such as the road textures not being very compatible with slopes. The ground shows through in random spots around mountainous areas, making it harder to develop rougher terrains.

Overall, I'd strongly recommend it. The game generally gets "average" ratings from what I can tell, but so far, I'd personally easily be willing to give it an 8/10, at least based on my experience so far. I honestly think I'm enjoying it more than I've enjoyed SC4 in a long time. 

Thank you, Darth! I think i will purchase and install on my second computer and dive in.  I just never got around to realsearching further or purchasing it.