Sign in to follow this  
ThirtyThree

Show Us Your Blunders

27 posts in this topic Last Reply

I'm sure at some point we've all had a run of bad city planning or forgetfulness which caused us to make an uh-ho in game. This thread is to show us all your mistakes (and stories.) Rest assured, we'll all try not to laugh.

Let's kick start this thread off which a picture of what I think gets the award for the most horribly planned RHW interchange ever.

CentralQueensborough-Mar30321377405975_z

If you're wondering what is going on there, well... so am I. I originally had an avenue there with ramps which had a partial diamond interchange. I took that out and redid it all to complete a beltway around the city tile (since the highway going over the bridge is going to carry a ton of traffic into the downtown section of the city.) So I went along and took the avenue out and put the RHW to use. It went smooth until I remembered that I moved the elevated highway a few tiles down from where I originally had it.

Then that interchange happened. It's a pretty hilly area so a lot of things didn't want to place/drag properly, so that 's all I could do. Just out of the picture is a diamond with a road that intersects the one you see.

I could go back and correct it all... but I have grown to like this monstrosity. The rest is history.

Glad to know I am not the only one to do such boo boos!  None to show at the moment as I always get so mad at myself I nuke the whole bloddy darn thing!  LOL!  perhaps now I to will grow to love my monstocities!

Don't worry, even experts started out with huge fails. I made this monstrosity with the RHW 3.0 Alpha version:

fkh6md5.jpg

Nowadays it's a full blown cloverleaf interchange.

Also, horrid slopes anyone?

nieuwlanderveenoudeinduiw0.jpg

kapishhillyareadf8.jpg

And you gotta love my city planning back in 2008:

economiccenterlg1.jpg

konradnorthairportst7.jpg

(Yup, skyscrapers on the end of the runways, powerlines going over the airport, what could possibly go wrong?)

Best,

Maarten

(Yup, skyscrapers on the end of the runways, powerlines going over the airport, what could possibly go wrong?)

My old cities were nothing but that, horrid slopes, hardly anything diagonal and highways just ending mid-air, ill post a pic later.

Best,

Maarten

I could tell you a story about SC2000, a Darco Arcology, and Airport and not having 'distasters off'. Which was about as dramatic as the 'I didn't know you shouldn't use the Center Tool on the traffic Helicopter - Forest Arco' incident. SC2013's forced distasters got nothing on me.

Great idea for a "show us your..."

Here's one of many modding/lotting blunders...  (Hey, SimCoug, you idiot - you need to generate a new prop TGI in reader)

propoops.jpg

On the bright side, you found an adoptive reuse of an old railroad roundhouse.

Well, just look what I found in an old city of mine today:

kavelstad_04.jpg

Iggly-Wiggly Road. A failed attempt to make a diagonal road. The city where this picture was taken is completely vanilla (but some custom buildings did grow once I opened it again and it's to this day the city with the most citizens on a medium city tile):

kavelstad_01.jpg

But beauty is something different...

(Mooi is anders)

Best,

Maarten

I have done some disgraces that I call as interchanges. I've made it some months ago when I was a Maxis Highway lover and I thought that RHW users must be pro satanists \--/_666_\--/. I'll post it later, cuz I'm not on my PC.

This is how I build highways back in my MHW days. :rofl:

260q247.jpg

OH GAWD, THE WEAVING! D:

MAQSSIS HAIGWEI IS BETTA THEM ORHEITDABLIU

--

Here is my fail highways '-'

Em joi '-'

6njf.png

--

Kissloverleaf

8j3d.png

--

¿?interchange

00e4.png

I don't think I have my older regions anymore, but I do have this in a recent region.

All traffic (and it's a LOT) has to make this really weird turn over a single-lane road and across a railroad crossing, because it's a very tight spot with the highway and the railroad and some nasty slopes and the station, so there's no room for an avenue. That's what you get if you draw the railroad and highway first (at different heights too...), then build residential behind the railroad in such a way that nobody can get onto the highway... I have no idea how to fix this without a MAJOR reorganization (and demolishing many buildings). Oh well...

2S49b1Zl.jpg

My modelling history wasn't exactly pristine. To think I actually uploaded this monster? To the STEX for all to download?  o.O

DnkOded.png

Biggest regret right here. I wanted to make a model of a design I drew when I was 12 years old but failed. At least later on this was replaced by a much nicer ship.

I last modified this city in 2010. I wanted to build a city with more tall buildings, so I zoned almost everything here high density.

rjN9nw8.png

The result looks like a city that went through a runaway construction boom without much thought into the location of buildings.

c8Up86A.png

All the buildings are Maxis; the only custom buildings were stations I have since removed from my plugins.

2OHMpeL.png

And of course, a Maxis airport.

I last modified this city in 2010. I wanted to build a city with more tall buildings, so I zoned almost everything here high density.

rjN9nw8.png

The result looks like a city that went through a runaway construction boom without much thought into the location of buildings.

c8Up86A.png

All the buildings are Maxis; the only custom buildings were stations I have since removed from my plugins.

2OHMpeL.png

And of course, a Maxis airport.

These look more like oddities.. Does this happen a lot? If so, have you consulted technical support about these issues?

These look more like oddities.. Does this happen a lot? If so, have you consulted technical support about these issues?

If you mean the green and red stick things, that's a mod to flag a missing plugin. Given Kuewr665 mentioned having removed plugins for the stations, etc and where those things occur, I think they're expected...

If you mean the green and red stick things, that's a mod to flag a missing plugin. Given Kuewr665 mentioned having removed plugins for the stations, etc and where those things occur, I think they're expected...

I was actually referring to the missing network pieces. If you look at some of the avenue intersections, you'll see what I mean.

I just don't have any idea what's on my mind when I have done this interchange, I guess that's called "Sniper Aim interchange".... whatever, my ppl will use this, not me :D :D :D :D. These towers are too tall and it have bad illumination :S

ytek.png

I was actually referring to the missing network pieces. If you look at some of the avenue intersections, you'll see what I mean.

Those were road and avenue turn lanes, which I disabled in favor of TuLEPs.

When I first started getting into custom content I built this exhibition of extreme ratchetness. this is the oldest picture I could find and it's truly the queen ratchet of all.

ugly_zpsa8565611.jpg

I know what ya'll are thinking.....

kathy-griffin-gurl_zps742be5e7.gif?t=138