9 posts in this topic Last Reply

Hi!!

This is my first post, and I need some help with my citiy development.

Let's do it simple, I'll tell you about it a bit, and show a couple of screenshots I've got.

City Manhattan (it's supposed to be, in the future, my great city):

Population: 10.220

Commercial Jobs: 4182

Industrial Jobs: 3762

I've got parks, plazas, a football field, several tennis and basketball courts..

There's a subway transportation system, also a passengers train.

Fire & Crime: small fire station, big fire station, big police station

Education: 2 primary schools, 1 superior school, 1 district library, 1 municipal school, 1 municipal university.

There's water everywhere, electricity is covered, so garbage too.

Here's a screenshot of it..

jpa44z.jpg

Here's one of the RCI bars, where you can see some minimum stats of Manhattan..

35n1qq1.jpg

The thing is: my city WON'T develop!!!

I know it sounds dumb, but I can't get more than 10k residents. This is frustrating, look how many years I've been playing!!!!! :O

May sound novice, but that's what I am.

I am in need or urgent advice :) If you could suggest some advice, I'd be thankful to everyone.

Sorry about my English, it isn't my native language :P

Thanks!!!!

post-643097-0-97469900-1375824516_thumb.

Edited by JurisicSantiago  

Looks like you need more industry to provide jobs for your middle class residents. You could easily grow your population by zoning residential on empty land and allowing new houses to be built. SimCity 4 is different from other games in the series in that it requires you to build out in order to build up. No matter how nice your small town Manhattan is, it will never grow if you don't zone more land.

EDIT: It also looks like your developed land is being used very inefficiently. See those mansions you have? Each one of those is taking up land that could support 3-6 smaller houses. You can maximize your population by forcing Sims to build on smaller lots.

• Original Poster
  • Looks like you need more industry to provide jobs for your middle class residents. You could easily grow your population by zoning residential on empty land and allowing new houses to be built. SimCity 4 is different from other games in the series in that it requires you to build out in order to build up. No matter how nice your small town Manhattan is, it will never grow if you don't zone more land.

EDIT: It also looks like your developed land is being used very inefficiently. See those mansions you have? Each one of those is taking up land that could support 3-6 smaller houses. You can maximize your population by forcing Sims to build on smaller lots.

Thanks for answering Cob92!

Oh, I see, so what you're saying is that I should stop zoning for R$$ and R$$$ and focus on R$? I've read in http://www.simtropolis.com/omnibus/_/simcity-4/reference/demand-desirability-and-abandonment-r31 that 

This does not mean that only low-wealth, medium-wealth, or high-wealth sims will move into low medium or high density zones. You can have a high-wealth sim living in a low-density zone (such as a large Mansion and lots of luxury props). You can have low-wealth sim living in a high-density zone (such as tenements or apartment buildings). You can, to an extent, predict and control what level of wealth sim will move into your zone, by referring to desirability of the area.

What type of industry do you suggest? I honestly dislike polluting and low density industry, almost hate it :P

I'll be bulldozing some mansions and zoning for low $ residential, let's see what happens with that.

But I have some doubts about industry, could you help me please?

Thanks!

You'll need at least some polluting industry to get your city growing again; the good news is that it looks like your city favors manufacturing and high tech industry over Dirty industry. Keep your industry away from your downtown core, and put the worst polluters in another city if necessary. You actually have it in the worst spot right now; from here on out, you need to either build by the city edge or add ports to your coast to shorten the freight trips (the real Manhattan became great because of its port). With your residential areas, what you need to do, in addition to moving the mansions, is to upgrade your core zones to medium density so that apartments and condos can move in. The R$ Sims will automatically fill up any area that the rich and middle class don't want. You can zone any kind of residential on the empty land that you want; the important thing is that you open new land to development.

• Original Poster
  • You'll need at least some polluting industry to get your city growing again; the good news is that it looks like your city favors manufacturing and high tech industry over Dirty industry. Keep your industry away from your downtown core, and put the worst polluters in another city if necessary. You actually have it in the worst spot right now; from here on out, you need to either build by the city edge or add ports to your coast to shorten the freight trips (the real Manhattan became great because of its port). With your residential areas, what you need to do, in addition to moving the mansions, is to upgrade your core zones to medium density so that apartments and condos can move in. The R$ Sims will automatically fill up any area that the rich and middle class don't want. You can zone any kind of residential on the empty land that you want; the important thing is that you open new land to development.

I've done what you previously said and within almost an hour of real time playing, my citizenship almost doubled (18k). I'm going to do exactly as you say Mr.

Thank you so much! :)

You might also want to check this video out.  Making buildings historical will keep them from getting overtaken by medium wealth and high wealth buildings.  That is what looks like what happened.  High wealth and medium wealth Sims moved in and pushed your low wealth Sims out.

Check out this tutorial I made.  The second video is the most important one.  

Hi there, High Roller.

Well, you don't have enough people to support the jobs you have, for openers.  The general rule is two Sims per job.  The basis of the population is the demographic of Silicon Valley in 2000 or so.  Mamma Sim doesn't work.  Papa is the breadwinner.  From your stats you need about 16,000 Sims or more.

Subway is overkill, and too expensive at this point.

You are certainly well supplied service wise.

The demand bars clearly show you need more single occupancy residential.  You need to put it in Turtle mode, and carefully zone some more residential.  And move out of town and create some farms, not forgetting they need water and power to be really great.  Your avenues to the edge should connect to the neighbours, and maybe you should build a little in each of them along the connections.

I am sorry, but you cannot get an instant city.  Running on Cheetah will simply exhaust your budget.

Don't rush into mods and other custom content.  Some of them skew the game in ways you need to understand.  However, I do recommend adding the Network Addon Mod if your game can tolerate it.  Your game must be updated to at least level 1,1,638 to use this free expansion pack.  If your game was downloaded from a licensed site you should have 1,1,641.

To check your version, use windows explorer to find the file SimCity 4.exe.  Hover your mouse over this file and it will report your version.

And how about taxes? Did u raise them for R$$ and R$$$? That could force away Sims.

And yes, it seems R$$$ took too much space. Demolish some of those villas and let R$$ Sims move in. Like in reality, it's the mid class that drives the economy!! Don't let too much of R$ Sims. Most of your population should be mid-class.. U may not like it, but if your Sims ask for dirty industry, u have to give'em some, at least in the neighbor city with good connections. NAM is obligatory, of course!

Also do you have other cities? If not build city connections. Have an all industrial city or two. Say one DI and then another with MI and HTI. Like Mr. Moose said run turtle and enjoy. The game is like a cross country drive, slow down enjoy the sights. It's not a race.