Mithrik

TV Shows: What are you into right now?

313 posts in this topic Last Reply

This is a little thread that I created so people from around here can share what TV Shows/Series are they watching right now. Be it whatever it is, live-action, western cartoons, anime, etc.

Tell us your impressions of shows you watched recently, Did you enjoy it? Did there was something you didn't like? Would recommend it? and, you know, all that stuff.

Go on. Share your thoughts!

• Original Poster
  • I for example, am not a person that tends to watch TV a lot, but I see episodes from series on the Internet from time to time. When I get the interest, I tend to watch them completely (and I really mean it).

My most recent watch was an anime, called Love Hina, a harem-type anime and manga (WARNING: Definately PG-13, because it has ecchi) which I liked because of the intriguing storyline it has, though at times it gets dramatic, in the end it had me saying: awww! more than one time (which is not easy), especially towards the end.

It basically is some kind of romantic comedy, based around a guy named Keitaro Urashima, who as a kid made a promise to a girl, of entering together into the University of Tokyo and live happy forever after, unfortunately for him, the girl left shortly after as she moved elsewhere, and he didn't remember her name, nor her face. Keitaro is a clumsy never had luck in studies, nor with women, and has failed the admission exam two times in a row when the series start. One day, he receives the from his grandmother, who manages Hinata Inn, where he as a child used to play a lot and met the promise girl. He goes there only to discover that the place is now a girls-only dormitory and he has been appointed by his grandmother as the new manager while she travels around the world.

The story revolves around Keitaro's attempts to enter the University of Tokyo to accomplish his promise, mature a little in the process and possibly find the promise girl. But the process will be hard (and will hurt a lot to him). You can see it as a romantic comedy if you like.

Well, that would be my most recently watched show until now. I would like to see the whole of The Legend of Korra, but unfortunately, I keep forgetting the time at which it gets transmitted and I end up omitting the episodes. :(

"Taiyou no Kisetsu" ("Season of the Sun")

The young Takizawa Hideaki plays the seemingly Coolest Guy in town, the guy everyone wants to hang out with, except that he is a two-faced, manipulative, vengeful SOB with cynical plans for treacherous Evil against the unsuspecting circle of wealthy friends around him. Will the disabled piano-playing girl from the hospital be able to help him find his Golden Heart? Will she get cancer, consumption, or paralysis first?

___

Actually, my friends and I have been on a Takizawa fest for a few weeks, after having watched the later drama "Orthros no Inu" ("Dog of Orthros"), where Tackey's crazy cool character with awesome black fashion sense has the magical holy power of Healing Hands, but is also a two-faced, manipulative, vengeful SOB with cynical plans for treacherous Evil. Yes, he bitterly uses the power to heal all worldly illnesses for soap opera Evil and Faustian mindgames...too bad the heroine policewoman out to stop him was portrayed with such professional ineptitude. Still, Tackey devilishly levels his healing hand towards the Children's Ward of the hospital and somehow manages to contort the scene into a Portent of Doom. Noooo...don't let him heal them...

drama-orthros-no-inu-L-hB3ioz.png

"With this hand, I will destroy Tokyo, and shatter the hearts of fangirls everywhere!"

Eeeep! It's all up to the gentle hackneyed schoolteacher ironically gifted with the Killing Hand of Instant Death to stop him, bringing the Orthros, or Two-Headed Dog, theme into play. I admit, the Healing Hand character was fun...every surprise appearance guaranteed an "oh crap, we're screwed" moment in a show that was really ridiculously over-the-top. I had to import the dvd series as a present to myself this Christmas.

Before that it was "Kimi ga Kureta Natsu ~Gan to Tatakatta Musuko no 730 Hi~" ("The Summer You Gave Me: The 730 Days of My Son Who Fought Cancer"), where young, poor, high-school drop-out dad Tackey finds out his first-born son has...dun, dun, dun...cancer. No matter how cheeful and sunny the kid is chasing his dream butterflies, with a title like that and this being a drama, we all can easily guess how it is going to end. Admittedly, I really teared up at the father-son bonding in the woods moment...waaah...if only Tackey then had the Orthros power of Healing Hands.

Then there was the touching "Chichi no Umi, Boku no Sora" ("My Father's Ocean, My Sky"), where this time it is high-school drop-out Tackey dealing with his elderly father who has the cancer. More deep father-son bonding moments and more tears, though done with alot more adult nostalgia and noble stoicism than the previous heartstring-yanking show. If only he then had the Orthros power of the Healing Hands...

On the silly side was "Romeo & Juliet," which gave us not only the surreal depiction of Shakespeare recited with Japanese Engrish, but also Tackey's poor mother in the hospital ward with...you guess it...CANCER! Yes, if only he then had the Orthros power of the Healing Hands...

I'm seeing a pattern here. No wonder older Tackey in the later shows is so jaded and spitful of his Healing Hand. Oh crap, we're screwed. Yep, the disabled piano girl in the drama I'm watching now is doomed...Doomed! One Litre of Tears Doomed!

les-2-2.jpg

"Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn!"

Aaaaggghhhh! Noooo! Tackey, how could you? Why won't you heal her? Waaahhhh!

Top Gear, Avatar: The Last Airbender, NFL Top Ten, and the occasional Japanese variety show.

I love Top Gear because their stupid stunts are hilarious, their commentary is over-the-top politically incorrect (and hilarious), and their supercar reviews are expertly shot, edited, special-effect-ed, and beautiful. Oh, and hilarious. The presenters have great chemistry. The cars are cool. The challenges they are often sent upon contain interesting and usually cruel. God, I love Top Gear.

A:TLA is head and shoulders above all other animation I've seen. Granted, I'm not an animation fan by any stretch of the imagination, so take my opinion for what it's worth. Anyways, A:TLA is about this kid who was frozen in ice only to emerge 100 years later after one of the four nations invaded the other three and was slowly working towards conquering the world. This kid, the Avatar, can "bend" the four elements (earth, fire, water, air, basically a different way to look at magic), and as the only one who can do so, it falls upon him to maintain justice in the world. So, he gets a few teachers and they have to defeat the Fire Nation and put things right again. It's deep and interesting, with fascinating characters and intriguing storylines and more than a few surprises along the way. I'd recommend it to just about anyone. It's so much more than just a kids' show.

I love American football, and the NFL is the best showcase of the sport anywhere. NFL Top Ten takes a subject (most elusive runners, best quarterbacks of [decade], etc) and count down the top ten. I love it because it gives modern viewers a look at the history of the league, using footage of players whose names many fans may have never heard of before, or have heard of but had no idea who they were. The interviews along with the shows are great, too, and a lot of the interviewees add a good amount of humor to what could otherwise be a pretty dry show about NFL history. Also, NFL Films has got to be the world's single best sports-related video company, their productions are simply unbeatable anywhere. There is absolutely nothing in Japan that comes close to touching NFL Films (nothing for NPB nor J-League nor anything else, for that matter).

I have very different taste from Odainsaker. I simply cannot watch J-dramas. Overacted, overscripted, too silly or too serious, almost nothing hits the sweet spot for me. But, there are many kinds of people in the world, and they obviously appeal to others, so it's no big deal that I don't watch them. Instead, I'll tune in to the occasional variety show. I really like o-warai (comedy in Japan), and when I see a show that has comedians I like, I'll watch it and see what's going on. At the top of my list would be Shabekuri-007, Pekepon, Lincoln, and O-Temeshika!, but anything with funny people talking about stupid things or engaging in silly challenges will have my attention for at least a short time.

I usually don't watch TV as it happens, though. I'm online or I'm taking care of babies, or I'm working, or I'm writing, so it's pretty rare that I actually make time to watch something when it's actually on. Most of the shows above I'll watch online or I'll get the DVDs.

Generally, I watch stuff on the Food channel, Animal Planet and the Space channel in no particular order. I always watch CBC's National news cast. I am not much into current ideas of TV series nor specials because there is no real content any more. TV was good when it was an adventurous new medium and actually had live shows. The current trend towards (phoney) reality shows is just sickening.

Game of Thrones seems to be following along the book. I read it when it first came out. Much more fun than Harry Potter stuff. The art of the triple cross. More fun than reading Macchiavelli.

I don't have TV service in my apartment and I generally do not watch it.

But I have recently started watching Doctor Who on Netflix with my girlfriend. It's fun from what I've seen, though I won't really comment until I've seen more of it.

I don't have TV service in my apartment and I generally do not watch it.

But I have recently started watching Doctor Who on Netflix with my girlfriend. It's fun from what I've seen, though I won't really comment until I've seen more of it.

That gives me a small giggle. Dr. Who broadcasts were played on the massive frame buffers in the graphics lab at the University of Waterloo in the late 1970s when I was working there. Do enjoy yourself. It is a great series.

Some stuff I like to watch (that's on right now) in no order:

-Pawn Stars

-Storage Wars

-Canada's Worst Driver

-Mythbusters

-Dragon's Den

-22 Minutes

-South Park

-Robot Chicken

-Key and Peele

-Saturday Night Live

-Iron Chef

-Chopped

-Jeopardy!

-Family Feud

^ Don't you find Storage Wars a little on the contrived (scripted) side? I think most "reality" shows are definitely unreal.

Oh yeah, I bet they put a lot of stuff in the lockers to make it more interesting. But that keeps it entertaining. My mind turned to mush when my family watched a Storage Wars marathon on Christmas :P

Yes, I did notice that A&E and OLN ran it on different days. Just reruns of the same old reruns that they've been rerunning all year. Seems creativity has died in TV land. The only creative stuff these days seems to be on PBS and TVO. There is only a limited amount of material however.

Frankly, I'd rather watch reruns of Shakespeare plays or Broadway musicals. There is usually some redeeming merit if only the suspension of disbelief that you can achieve.

Well, I'm waiting for the second part of the third season of The Walking Dead in february. Also I'm watching an epic story, is a documental series in the History Channel called Humanidad: La Historia de Todos Nosotros.

• Original Poster
  • Humanidad: La Historia de Todos Nosotros.

Ah yes, I have seen some parts of that show, it has some pretty interesting stuff, but I don't like the fact that they add philosophic quotes all around the show, it just looks plain out-of-place to me, even they are vaguely related, at least the guys that are not Latinos say actual historical facts most of the time.

Odainsaker , so in this Dog of Orthros show the guy who heals kids is the bad guy?

Hehe, the show played games of twisted morality, with the antagonist who can heal having the ethics and morality of an abused and abusive monster, while the sweet and gentle hero with the Heart of Gold racked up a large enough body count to be considered a serial murderer. The telling scene was outside a hospital emergency room reeling from a brutal drunk driving accident leaving numerous children critically injured: the antagonist offered to heal the fast dying children with his Magic Healing Powers, but only if the hero first used his Dark Killing Powers to immediately execute the unscathed drunk driver. Decisions...decisions...

item.jpg

"Why did God give me this Power?" Obviously...for the Drama of Soap Opera!

NMUSpidey is right, though, this stuff does get ridiculously and blatantly contrived, clichéd, cheesy, and outright silly, making for fun comparisons with tvtropes.org. Even some of the big, 50-episode NHK historical dramas fall victim: I bought the Takeda Shingen versus Uesugi Kenshin drama "Fuurin Kazan" for a friend for Christmas, and sure enough, the tragic princess Lady Melodrama in the show managed to catch her own samurai epic version of cancer. Oh noes, Hime-sama!!! After watching the historical parody anime "Gintama," I could not watch the serious drama "Shinsengumi!" with a straight face, but I am looking into getting the Heike versus Genji clan TV epic "Yoshitsune." Of course, if the pattern holds, before http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXldEvU-gHY, the defeated Heike Lady Tokiko will bitterly reveal to Tackey, "You may have won the battle, boy, but I win the war...oh, and the child has cancer!" Nooooo!!!

Hmmm, the U.S. doesn't seem to have something similar to the yearly NHK historical costume drama. I can imagine something like a more full-fledged "Fall of Eagles," with first

and then Kaiser Wilhelm II chewing the primetime scenery...of course, poor Kaiser Fredrich gets history-changing cancer. The success of the cable-television mini-series "John Adams" shows that the theme need not be automatically dead.

I finished "Taiyou no Kisetsu" ("Season of the Sun"), and though entertaining, it was a bit on the masochist and misogynistic side with jaded, disaffected youths of the elite privileged class making selfish bids for petty personal power. It also had one particular scene of really warped connotations as the protagonist pokes through a shoji paper screen. That controverisal fetish scene was supposed to be soap opera erotic, but I must admit I fell over laughing with a competely different image in my head:

2059706601_eb76ffc7c8_z.jpg

Osaka has a sculptural tower from the Expo '70 world's fair which once projected through Tange Kenzo's open-air pavilion roof in such a way that it was likened to the shoji screen scene from the original novel "Season of the Sun," and so the tower was named "Tower of the Sun." Thanks to that historical architectural anecdote, I was somewhat prepared academically for the shoji screen poking surprise, but, I had forgotten the name of the original novel, and so did not make the connection to the television dramatization up until Tackey popped through the shoji. The original novel drew moral criticism for that freaky scene, while I can only imagine the modern television series causing mass hysteria among the Japanese high school fangirl population. Gosh, so many jokes to make about Tackey's wooden acting...

expo70_14.jpg

How many Freudian Images can you find here? Too bad the '70s futurist Metabolist architecture of the expo no longer exists.

Turns out the original 1953 novel was authored by Ishihara Shintaro, another name that was only vaguely familiar to me as an author until I remembered he was also a politician and the controversially conservative former Governor of Tokyo. Supposedly infamous for conservative views that run the Far Right spectrum from elitist and nationalist to racist and misogynist, his most recent claim to international fame is in sparking the current territorial flare-up between Japan, Mainland China, and Taiwan when his Tokyo administration announced intentions to purchase the disputed Senkaku Islands from private Japanese owners. I've never read the novel, but you can sense it in the television show as almost all of the abusive characters come from Ayn Rand Land, and the one sympathetically hokey character carries the soap opera mark of Doom.

Hahahaha! The Taiga Drama! I actually really enjoyed the first five or six months of last year's "Taira no Kiyomori." Then, sometime over the summer, it just got booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooring and badbad baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad. We didn't even watch the last two months, it was that bad. And the historical inaccuracies! NHK, I expect better than this outta the likes of you... I have a feeling that it is very difficult to drag any story out over 50 or 52 hour-long episodes, though. Anyways, we're watching this year's "Yae no Sakura" (Yae's Cherry Blossom) in the hopes that it turns out better than last year's. At least they're not speaking millennium-old, incomprehensible court Japanese this time around. Also, Ayase Haruka is a LOT better looking than Matsuyama Ken'ichi.

That's not to say it's all bad (or that my opinion has any kind of validity at all!), there's a long-running drama starring Mizutani Yutaka called "Aibou" (Partners) that hits a lot of the right notes for me. I don't always watch it, though, but I think that one in particular is legitimately good without being too serious or too silly. Although, since I haven't actually seen the entirety of all 11 seasons of it (or any of the additional movies and one-off spin-off TV movies), I'm not sure if (how often?) anyone got cancer for that *extra special* hint of Japanese drama.

Ishihara Shintaro fun fact: after the recent London Olympics, he said that foreigners competing in the judo matches resembled two primates wrestling in the jungle. Nice guy, that.

Well, the new season is picking up on the Food Channel and Animal Planet. The former provides some good cooking tips for lonely old bachelors; the latter some entertainment especially with the canine and equine establishments. I am not quite so keen on the feline crowd when it comes to felis domesticus, but I rather like the wild ones.

Last night was the first part of the five part Chopped Champions Challenge. Sweat and tears in the Chopped kitchens, and sometimes blood (knives are sharp). Interesting in that the oldest chef won this one. Old age and subtlety usually win over youth and skill.