Mithrik

TV Shows: What are you into right now?

313 posts in this topic Last Reply

Welp, even very attractive Ayase Haruka is not enough to keep me watching the Taiga Drama. It is just boring. NHK would do well to run four Taiga Dramas per year and speed up the pace. Dragging things out like this is just awful.

Oh noes...abandoning Ayase Haruka! What has the world come to? Last year among the fangroup was Kamenashi Kazuya Fest, and we got to oogle young Ayase in "Tatta Hitotsu no Koi" ("My Only First Love") as the two star-crossed lovers pranced about Yokohama. She played something of a clueless ditz, though, so it was good that these shows tend to be only 10 or 11 episodes long. Of course, she also had cancer, and lest that not be enough to yank the melodramatic heartstrings, sad Kame's kid had crippling asthma. Must be all the industrial pollution and seafood contaminants. Admittedly, it was hard to know what to look at: perky Ayase, grungy Kame, or the cool skyline of Yokohama. Sappily, I broke down and imported the dvd set, as it was truthfully a superior example of this romance genre.

This year's Takizawa Hideaki Fest among the fangroup was about to wrap up, and then NTV a week ago started broadcasting "J's Journey - Takizawa Hideaki South American Longitudinal 4800km," where they drop the hapless popstar into beautiful and sunny Santiago, Chile, and tell him to drive north up South America to Lima, Peru, with broken Spanish and a Spanish phrasebook as his guide. Fedora-sporting Tackey promises on his roadtrip to show us Machu Picchu, Lake Titicaca, Cuzco, and the Nazca Lines. For us SimCity fans, he is sure to see and pet some real live llamas! He seemed to actually expect hotels along the route...they advised tents, sleepingbag, and handed the Tokyo city-boy a giant machete for full effect. Into the Peruvian desert and the high Andes Mountains we head with a clueless Japanese popstar in a Jeep Wrangler packed with bottled water and instant ramen. Oddly enough, watching the show is kinda like actually being on a cross-country vacation in the passenger seat with him...now, if only he can get the tent kit assembled by following the all-Spanish instruction manual!

• Original Poster
  • Right now I am about 2/5 through Digimon Adventure.

Precious childhood memories re-lived every time I hear the intro song, because unlike the English dub, the Latin American one is faithful to the original, and so it's epic. :P

Oh noes...abandoning Ayase Haruka! What has the world come to? Last year among the fangroup was Kamenashi Kazuya Fest, and we got to oogle young Ayase in "Tatta Hitotsu no Koi" ("My Only First Love") as the two star-crossed lovers pranced about Yokohama. She played something of a clueless ditz, though, so it was good that these shows tend to be only 10 or 11 episodes long. Of course, she also had cancer, and lest that not be enough to yank the melodramatic heartstrings, sad Kame's kid had crippling asthma. Must be all the industrial pollution and seafood contaminants. Admittedly, it was hard to know what to look at: perky Ayase, grungy Kame, or the cool skyline of Yokohama. Sappily, I broke down and imported the dvd set, as it was truthfully a superior example of this romance genre.

This year's Takizawa Hideaki Fest among the fangroup was about to wrap up, and then NTV a week ago started broadcasting "J's Journey - Takizawa Hideaki South American Longitudinal 4800km," where they drop the hapless popstar into beautiful and sunny Santiago, Chile, and tell him to drive north up South America to Lima, Peru, with broken Spanish and a Spanish phrasebook as his guide. Fedora-sporting Tackey promises on his roadtrip to show us Machu Picchu, Lake Titicaca, Cuzco, and the Nazca Lines. For us SimCity fans, he is sure to see and pet some real live llamas! He seemed to actually expect hotels along the route...they advised tents, sleepingbag, and handed the Tokyo city-boy a giant machete for full effect. Into the Peruvian desert and the high Andes Mountains we head with a clueless Japanese popstar in a Jeep Wrangler packed with bottled water and instant ramen. Oddly enough, watching the show is kinda like actually being on a cross-country vacation in the passenger seat with him...now, if only he can get the tent kit assembled by following the all-Spanish instruction manual!

Ha that sounds funny

That reminds me of Top Gear's South American adventure on their Christmas special a few years ago. They start out in the Amazon with three off-roaders they had to buy sight unseen, then they have to drive through Bolivia along the most dangerous, pants-crappingly-terrifying road in the world (oh my god, terrifyingterrifyingterrifying) and over the Andes for some beach in Chile. If you substitute Tackey for three bumbling, borderline-competent Englishmen, you might have a similar show.

Well, I don't watch TV frequently, but Regular Show (Un Show Más) makes me laugh, I like it. Also, I'm interessed too in American Horror Story: Asylum. I watched the complete first season, but I've lost the line with the second season at the fifth episode.

• Original Poster
  • Personally, I don't like Regular Show, it's way to random and uses the same formula more most episodes. Basically the main characters do X, it goes badly, they (most of the time) almost destroy Y/get themselves killed, and then his boss gets angry with them. The End.

I prefer Adventure Time because it at least has a vague story, and the weirdness factor is kind of justified.

Lately I've been watching cosmology, astrophysics and astronomy shows on the Discovery Channel. Interesting stuff on Enceladus and Titan: Liquid water on the one, pools of liquid methane on the other. Must be damned cold out there in the rings of Saturn, eh? Some really good photos from the exploring vehicles.

Lately I've been watching cosmology, astrophysics and astronomy shows on the Discovery Channel. Interesting stuff on Enceladus and Titan: Liquid water on the one, pools of liquid methane on the other. Must be damned cold out there in the rings of Saturn, eh? Some really good photos from the exploring vehicles.

I watch those type of programs all the time, whether I've seen them already or not. Can never get enough of that subject.

Personally, I don't like Regular Show, it's way to random and uses the same formula more most episodes. Basically the main characters do X, it goes badly, they (most of the time) almost destroy Y/get themselves killed, and then his boss gets angry with them. The End.

I prefer Adventure Time because it at least has a vague story, and the weirdness factor is kind of justified.

And... the problem is solved after all that. The End. Just as the episode when Skips kills Rigby.

About Adventure Time, the story is more complex, creative and complete, I don't deny it. But an importat fraction of the story seems to be inspired in a movie called A Boy and His Dog.

I watch those type of programs all the time, whether I've seen them already or not. Can never get enough of that subject.

Did you see the one on the new Arizona telescope? Looks like a real sweetie.

Did you see the one on the new Arizona telescope? Looks like a real sweetie.

It's possible I have as I've watched hundreds of these programs over the past ten years.

Personally, I don't like Regular Show, it's way to random and uses the same formula more most episodes. Basically the main characters do X, it goes badly, they (most of the time) almost destroy Y/get themselves killed, and then his boss gets angry with them. The End.

And... the problem is solved after all that. The End. Just as the episode when Skips kills Rigby.

About Adventure Time, the story is more complex, creative and complete, I don't deny it. But an importat fraction of the story seems to be inspired in a movie called A Boy and His Dog.

You should read that book, Harlan Ellison wrote it long ago and is not well adapted in the movie.

How I Met Your Mother and Avatar are the only two shows I really keep up with nowadays

I remember watching the Huygens probe land on Titan. Not too long later, the discovery of liquid hydrocarbon lakes just blew me away! Along with subsequent revision of the complex chemistry going on in the cloud decks of the moon.

Have you been keeping up with the Mars Curiosity updates? The night it landed, where the live coverage was being broadcast live on the NASA site was one of the most heart-pounding moments I've ever experienced. It was brilliant!

Just watched "Akutou" ("Villain") a two-hour special drama first shown late last year on FujiTV. Takizawa is a private investigator tormented with a Dark and Tragic Past who tracks down formerly underage criminals shielded by Japan's juvenile reformation system so that his clientele of surviving victims and their families can take it upon themselves to execute their own forms of Victim's Justice. Move over Edward Woodward...Tackey is now the Equalizer. I have no idea how borderline legal such activities are in reality, let alone how ethical, and even after seeing the brutal, despicable, and inhumane crimes committed by the now "reformed" adult perpetrators, there is a certain twisted horror at the ironic revenges grimly inflicted upon them. Despite all the harsh rape, lonely torture, and mad self-immolation, the most best moment of dark moral pause is when Tackey coldly warns the worst of the perps, "It's not enough that you already will physically die...I WILL KILL YOUR SOUL." Yikes, Tackey has once again embraced the Dark Side!

On a lighter note, last week's episode of "J's Journey" left a gigglingly drunk and unsuspecting Tackey heading off in the clutches of three Chilean "Luche Libre" masked wrestlers into the unknown nightscene of Antofagasta. Oh noes, look out Tackey, you are a short, skinny, Japanese boybander amidst burly Latin gladiators wearing masks and brandishing tattoos! Hehe, actually, Chile is looking extremely beautiful in this show, and I kinda wish he would spent more time on the roadtrip poking about the cities such as Santiago, but I guess they really want to get to the big suff in Peru. Amusingly, a gag here in Texas is that we often can't tell our own state flag from the national flag of Chile...I admit, I've carelessly done it myself in front of visitors from Santiago!

Hmmm, I'm finding I'm missing Star Trek, even a syndicated rerun. Too much paranormal reality shows are taking over...I'm even missing the old History Channel when it was sometimes dubbed the "Hitler Channel" due to the continuously repeating WW2 documentaries.

"Gintama" has been showing all new episodes again, and the current arc returns to molesting the Shogun. Hooray...Shogun episodes are always raunchy slapstick fun, as they always somehow leave the poor Shogun naked and streaking through Edo.

I'm finally doing it... Watching Star Trek: The Next Generation (on Netflix).

Been putting it off for so long but glad I am finally doing it. In Season 2 now.

Any particular reason to be reluctant? I rather enjoyed the extended take and more mature outlook. I think DS9 was better until they went all hokey with the weird 'gods'.

Yesterday I finished to watch the second season of American Horror Story: Asylum. I don't know where mi cousin got the DVD's.

Now I can't stop to hum this song:

Been watching episodes of 'Gator Boys' on Animal Planet.  Alligator rescue?  Well, why not?

Currently watching the AKC show from MSG.  Day one was interesting.  The other half is tonight at 2000 EST on Animal Planet.

Seems I watch that channel quite a bit.

chuck-season-2-episode-13-chuck-versus-t

Chuck. A show about a guy who isn't sure who he is and what his purpose in life is. But along comes a couple of people who will change Chuck's life, along with their own. Chuck is unique. It is real. With the corny acting, the monotonous or bizarre plots, and the horrible story lines have claimed the life of too many of today's television shows, Chuck offers a refreshing plot, real emotion, and real problems. The ingenious plot uniquely blends action and drama with comedy and romance. The importance of Chuck's life and how it changes, makes us look at our own lives and makes us wonder what it is that we want to get out of our lives. Adding to that the incredibly passionate and emotional love story of Chuck and Sara and discovering the importance of family and friends, watching Chuck makes you realize what really matters in life and makes you feel like part of a family, Chuck's family. 

I strongly recommend this show. While it no longer is airing, it has, although small, the strongest, most passionate fan base you'll find. While it's already on Netflix streaming in Europe and through mail in U.S., it should be on U.S.Netflix streaming by summer. 

Here's what Chuck means to some people:

right now its all the walking dead and spartacus for me. both are amazing shows. the best stuff on television. i also watch a lot of history channel. waiting for the new vikings and the bible on history, they look like they are gonna be epic.

For me its a regular dose of real sci fi(not that useless channel that shows wrestling!) but real science fiction; at the moment is (what else) Blood and Chrome the latest Battlestar Galactica installment, i love this whole story and i remember the original from so long ago; the new take is just what we imagined it would really would be like.As with many of the fans i'm trying my hand at writing an adventure set in the genre, so far it tops 280 A4 pages and 111k words, and i'm in the second revision.. well its a work in progress!

Then there was sanctuary and all the other space shows but not SG universe i thought the story was dying towards the end of Atlantis.

I'm eagerly awaiting Game of thrones series three, what a show: real medival sword and scorcery; being English i can appreciate the dark ages feel as my countryies history encompassed such times.

But since both Fox (all right i watched Terra Nova too, i was sorry to se it fall by the way side)and Sci-fy both cancelled all the good shows i sent my digi box back in protest and cancelled my subscription and (for England)my TV licence, thank goodness for things like (cough)E-mule

One of the many channels I have is currently running Game of Thrones.  Since I've read it, I have chosen not to watch it.  Mostly I watch police procedurals, animal planet, the food channel, and have been watching reruns of some of the SG1 episodes, which are in their death throes with the Ori (pfaugh!) at the moment.  They have really flown off the handle and it is no wonder the series was canned.  Wormholes are so last century.