Sign in to follow this  
MarjaSpaceOddity

New video interview and recent articles

26 posts in this topic Last Reply

Thank you. That is an interesting video.

He said that the limit to the amount of players is based solely on the amount of cities in a region and previous information said that you could play with up to 16 players. This is disconcerting.

--Ocram

Edited by OcramSeattle  

• Original Poster
  • Thank you. That is an interesting video.

Thanks, I thought so too. I like how he is t the same time extremely tired and genuinely enthusiastic. :)

He said that the limit to the amount of players is based solely on the amount of cities in a region and previous information said that you could play with up to 16 players. This is disconcerting.

Yes, I found that bit of the interview confusing. Will you be able to choose a region to play in? Or will there be some sort of difficulty level, which he seemed to want to say?

Edited by MarjaSpaceOddity  

The video doesn't instill any confidence in me... hes basically saying it is a standalone installable high graphics quality Cityville.

The CVG and RPS stories sound more like a press release than anything that really stands out as "the next great game".

Although I like Wired, it was pretty much just a rehash of info already available.

Thanks for posting the new videos - regarding the most recent video from something called the Jace Hall Show. I HIGHLY recommend stabbing your hand with a fork while watching it, it made it far more bearable than it would be otherwise.

Also, I find their new adaptation of the region to be near disastrous.

Interesting quote from PC Preview: "This is basically The Sims on a regional scale, each house in that game the equivalent of an entire city here." Though I still intend on buying the game (as I did with the dud Cities XL), that is probably the most effective arguement not to buy this game. I love SimCity because it is a "Simulation" of urban development, not a simulation city for Barbie's Dreamhouse.

Edited by theBrad  

video

wow that's like ADHD as a video... couldn't stay on task, jumped around to different subjects, and filled with useless junk not relevant to the interview or primary subject...

as for the simcity footage, my suspicions are confirmed, it is classic simcity brought into 2012 with all its severe limitations.

Edited by CaptCity  

Removed off-topic comments.

You know what has jumped out at me as another glaring issue in these videos and other screen shots of the game, everything is FLAT. I haven't seen any shots where they've built their "curvy" roads on any type of non-flat terrain In fact, the video shows hills surrounding the city but the roads went around them...intentional? How unbelievably boring is it to have pure flat cities?

Can anyone confirm if this is true, I haven't found anything with google yet. If true, another example of 10 steps back for Maxis.

at 8:45 you can pretty much count how many buildings are on that entire map in about 1 minute. Sad.

And how exactly do you know that the entire map is filled?

You know what has jumped out at me as another glaring issue in these videos and other screen shots of the game, everything is FLAT. I haven't seen any shots where they've built their "curvy" roads on any type of non-flat terrain In fact, the video shows hills surrounding the city but the roads went around them...intentional? How unbelievably boring is it to have pure flat cities?

Can anyone confirm if this is true, I haven't found anything with google yet. If true, another example of 10 steps back for Maxis.

WindFarmStage4copy.png

Thank you. That is an interesting video.

--Ocram

maybe he meant there is 16 cities per region but you could have several cities in that region meaning that other people could join, so you could have 4 players with 4 cities? Maybe? Just an idea.

I have just watched the video and the game looks great so far. To all the people complaining about multiplayer is I don't see what the big deal is. They said you could have an entire region to your self, that's 16 cities I know the size isn't what everyone is looking for but you could focus cities on different sectors. Also I'm glad there is no terraforming it adds more of a challenge to getting your city up and running.

Just my opinion.

Removed several posts that were off topic and/or simply arguing points that have been made previously. We don't need to turn every topic into the same arguments about the same game characteristics that have been mentioned elsewhere. If there's nothing new to post. don't post. Whether some like the game and some don't is irrelevant. - some do, some don't. That's understood.

I have just watched the video and the game looks great so far. To all the people complaining about multiplayer is I don't see what the big deal is. They said you could have an entire region to your self, that's 16 cities I know the size isn't what everyone is looking for but you could focus cities on different sectors. Also I'm glad there is no terraforming it adds more of a challenge to getting your city up and running.

Just my opinion.

I think thats where the biggest issue lies for many of us:

It LOOKS good but beyond that is not not an expansion on what we have grown to love.

People need to remember this is SimCity take two. On the surface it is the same game...building cities. What is different is the engine. I'm not expecting this NEW SimCity to be bigger, faster, stronger than SC4 out of the gate but it does show a lot of promise for where SimCity could go in the future if the simulation engine is scalable and easily expandable (which I believe is the case).

What we are going to get with the new SimCity is a taste of what a true city simulation can be, but only a taste.

Previous SimCities were statistics engines. The new Simcity is a simulation engine.

New picture.

Nice! Would of been nice if they used some 2-lane streets since I know some people still don't think they exist. I also think images shows 2 things. One is that you aren't forced to use huge avenues to get skyscrapers to grow. Also, that you can actually build tight city blocks without trees in the center. The area in the bottom left shows houses with a road directly behind it and the commercial zones there also seem to border each other back to back

My favorite thing about the image? Big box stores!!! :D I always thought these types of buildings were severely lacking in SC4 (at least until SimGoober came along).

4 lane roads everywhere.. Even in the single-house areas.. Not even close to realistic, nor does it look good.

There is the option for 2 lane roads. I am a bit surprised I didn't include here, though.

Good to see skyscrapers on non-avenues, meaning that our city centre won't stagnate because a lack of avenues built. I do wonder how it decides where such city centres are though.

4 lane roads everywhere.. Even in the single-house areas.. Not even close to realistic, nor does it look good.

There is the option for 2 lane roads. I am a bit surprised I didn't include here, though.

Good to see skyscrapers on non-avenues, meaning that our city centre won't stagnate because a lack of avenues built. I do wonder how it decides where such city centres are though.

probably like the rest of the Simcities really it will come down to land value. I think that's what they always meant any way not to deal with the roads but with the infrastructure(sewer, water, and yes road density) and amenities (police, fire, health, and education). Thats why I think in the game play vid the businesses grew up the way they did that he put a police station in the middle. There was also probably a large city we could not see that had little commerce in it.

That screenshot does look better than what we've seen previously. And am happy to see some actual urban-looking development; everything they showed before looked like suburbs or small Southern towns, with big patches of nothing in the middle of every block.

That screenshot does look better than what we've seen previously. And am happy to see some actual urban-looking development; everything they showed before looked like suburbs or small Southern towns, with big patches of nothing in the middle of every block.