Sign in to follow this  
StanislavSoltys

Favorite European Cities

136 posts in this topic Last Reply

1. Istanbul, Turkey

2. Monte carlo, monacco

3. Venice italy, Paris france

4.  Budapest [ its two individual areas , trying to pass them selves off as one large city. how could you not love that! 9.gif ]

5. London , England

I haven't been to many European cities, so I can't really make a fair judgment. I just moved to Edinburgh in September, and I absolutely love it here. The city has an impressive (maybe depressing) history. I love the elevation changes, and how the early city builders used it to their advantage. Amazing architecture, great sites to see, and very walker friendly. I couldn't ask for more in a city.

For sure, Paris, Rome, London or Madrid are in the top of the most beautiful european cities, due in part to their history and heritage.

You can include Amsterdam, Venice or Barcelona for their unique urbanism... and also Berlin, for its particularities.

Mine are: Munich, Germany: Rich heritage of Bavarian history, in the heart of the German's top industries, a mix of genuine culture and modernism of a metropole.

Belgrade, Serbia: An astonishing city I recently discovered: rich history, nice place to see, huge night life. Add some typical soviet architecture and urbanism and you get something interesting

Anvers (Antwerpen) Belgium: never been but I heard that the city is very charming

And my hometown: Lausanne, Switzerland: small city on the shores of the Lake of Geneva, with a view on the Alps, the lake, next to the terraced vineyards of Lavaux, with an incredible cultural and night life despite its size 4.gif

I've always romanticized over Vienna, Austria; St. Petersburg, Russia; and Istanbul, Turkey. False nostalgia for long bygone imperial eras it may be, but I still want to visit...are the Belvedere or Tsarskoye Selo available for summer rental, along with a private sleeper carriage on the Orient Express? Okay, my budget would probably be more along the line of an outlying student hostel or even an upright sleeping bag on some rattling commuter tram, but even that would be enough!

Gosh so many....

Well, I'll have to say Porto, just a perfect balance of old & medievel and new & modern, and it's also not too big and not too small... really beautiful... It's one of those cities that I find beautiful but that also makes me wanna live there...

Some others that I really like are:

Prague, Vienne, Innsbruck (spelling?), Edinburgh, Rome, VENICE, Lucerne (switzerland, truly astonishing), Instambul, , Barcelona, Toulouse, Carcassone, etc...

There is a portuguese town called Ponte de Lima which is just breath-taking, unfortunately I can't include it in a city list because the city hall refuses to upgrade it from town/village to city because it would lose it's status of oldest village in Portugal xD... but I recommend every single one of you guys to check it out!

On a note, I've been to Paris a dozen times and I really don't find it nice at all, and certainly not romantic... it's just too... monotonous... and that centre around the Arc de Triomphe is just so dull... everyone says the food is great too but I didn't like it at all and I certainly didn't find it as fashion centre... I don't know, the whole city just reeks of that french arrogant attitude (don't want to insult anyone, but I often go to france and that's something I notice everytime I'm there)

Guess I'm just weird... The Louvre though is amazing!

well from the cities i have visited it's hard to make a top but one of the most beautiful cities are, Paris, France; Vencie, Italy; Saint-Petersburg; Tallinn, Estonia; Brugge, Belgium.

I haven't visited London, Berlin or Madrid so i can't comment on that.

I would say my own capital Copenhagen... It is very beautiful. It's actually the city with most cyclists... We are using the bicycle instead of the car because of the pollution.

My favorite city is Berlin, Germany... It's big and beautifu and has wonderful architecture and urban plannings.

Birmingham, UK.

1. Cheaper to live in than London

2. Less congestion than London

3. All Roads (well, motorways) lead to Birmingham

4. There wouldn't be:

- The bus stop

- City Planning

- The Steam Engine

- Coal Plants

- Cadbury's

- City tram services

- The tram

- A bunch of other stuff

5. The Selfridges building looks pretty cool

6. There is no Six.

Spent the summer of 1980 in the Med and fell in love with two places

Naples Italy and Palma Spain. Barcelona is a close third. Something about walking in the streets and alley's that have so much history made a big impression on me at age 20.

Rotterdam, Netherlands That's where I live very close to9.gif

Paris, France

Rome, Italy

Cambridge, UK

Amsterdam, Netherlands

London, UK

My absolute favorite city is Amsterdam! But maybe that is only because I spent many summers there with my family and I have good memories with Amsterdam and those times. We always rented a apartment in Amsterdam for a month or so and stayed there. These summers were really amazing. Second in line would be Barcelona. I enjoy that city as well. Each time I go, I am fascinated all over again.

Edited by paubl  

what do you guys think about Bucharest, Romania also called "The Little Paris" before to be destroyed by the comunists

Edited by francisc  

what do you guys think about Bucharest, Romania also called "The Little Paris" before to be destroyed by the comunists

If I recall correctly, Bucharest would have been on the other side of the "iron curtain" for most of us after WWII, and when the Western world was allowed to peek in again, the city had been "destroyed by the communists". I think you'll have a hard time finding anybody who remember pre-WWII Bucharest on this forum, so I think you'll have to provide some pictures and information if you want any response.

University Square

View_over_university_square_bucharest.jpg

Sattelite View

Bucuresti_satellite_2005.jpg

The Biggest Building In The World is the Parliament of Romania

casa-poporului.jpg

The Arch of Triumph like the one from Paris

Arcul-de-triumf-bucharest.jpg

Panoramic View of the City Center

Panor%C3%A1mica_HDR_del_Ateneul_Rom%C3%A2n%2C_Bucure%C5%9Fti%2C_Rom%C3%A2nia.jpg

the city is mix between comunist arhitecture, modern, and bulidings from the period between the two wars

buleti5.gif

2_259.jpg

Edited by francisc  

Looks nice! One question, though: What does a parliament need all that room for?

Also, I believe Terminal 3 at the Dubai airport and Abraj al-Bait Towers in Mecca have recently passed the parliament building as the largest in the world. Still, it looks absolutely collossal.

Oh, question two: On the satelite image, you see a pretty large green circle south of the city centre. What is that?

That first picture is nice too. But I'd hate to be a driver there at 4PM on a Friday.