• tSlater
    tSlater

SimCity Social is Closing Down

Barely 1 year after launch, SimCity Social is closing down:

"The decision to retire older EA games is never an easy one to make but in order to re-allocate servers and resources to more popular titles we are removing SimCity Social from Facebook. Players who still have a balance of in-game currency are encouraged to spend it before the game is shut down on 14th June and is no longer available for play."

For more information, click here: http://forum.playfish.com/showthread.php?t=2968221

Sign in to follow this  
    Sign in to follow this  

User Feedback

Will be probably be reading the same about SC2013 in a couple of years.

This concerns me. I'll probably pick it up when they release the Mac version, but I have a feeling I'll be avoiding buying any DLC and not putting nearly as much time into it as SC4, since we could lose our cities if they close it.

Share this comment

"but in order to re-allocate servers and resources to more popular titles"  pretty much means (non Facebook) Simcity.

After Simcity failed at launch getting new servers would have cost too much to EA so instead, they just took servers from other games. SimCity Social is dying to try and save SimCity.

Share this comment

"but in order to re-allocate servers and resources to more popular titles"  pretty much means (non Facebook) Simcity.

After Simcity failed at launch getting new servers would have cost too much to EA so instead, they just took servers from other games. SimCity Social is dying to try and save SimCity.

SimCity Social is run by PlayFish, which is based out of the UK.  Different people, different skills, different servers.  I don't know why EA is closing this one though, I thought it was doing well.

Share this comment

And this is what will happen to SC2013 in a years time. By then EA will have launched SC2014 which essentially is The Sims, with a couple of houses and even more broken and lazy made features.

In short, screw MAXIS and hail Paradox Interactive.

Perhaps Cities in Motion 3 will feature some more in depth city building options, without giving in on other core features. Now that would, imo, truely be a SimCity sucessor

Share this comment

See EAxis, you wouldn't have to do this if you would just make an offline version of the game. Then you could just stop supporting it and abbandon the community (like you did in the past) without that community beïng deprived of the possibillity to actually play the broken game they payed for and attemt to improve it.

Share this comment

In thinking about it, several things jump out at me.

1. People who spent money recently are basically out that money.

2. People are going to lose their cities.

3. EA has made a big deal about micro-transactions, and yet here we have a couple of high profile micro-transaction-based games shutting down.

4. SimCity Social was less than a year old.

5. Seems to me like the marketing people would want to keep it going, if only to advertise SimCity for the PC/Mac.

6. EA seems to be shutting down a lot of Playfish games, even though they spent $300 million or so acquiring Playfish just a few years ago.

Share this comment

What you see here is a pulling in of the horns because the snail is running out of moolah.  It has blown its wad on all the hype for SC 2013, and hasn't recouped its investment and probably never will.

Their millions of sales are turning into ashes in their mouths.  This is simply a case of misreading what they could get away with, and now heads must roll, and products must die.

Share this comment

Why doesn't this surprise me?

Oh right, because lots of social interaction is totally a typical SimCity-fan character trait... (not!)

Share this comment

I knew the quick explosion of servers after that disastrous launch was going to come at a price. If they had only planned on 4-5 servers being enough at first, 27 definitely sent them overbudget.

Share this comment

" I don't know why EA is closing this one though, I thought it was doing well."

Let's just say the real reasons are best displayed here.

" These announcements follow on the April 12 announcement that EA’s Montréal studio will be reorganized and downsized. All of these decisions, of course, are taking place in the context of EA’s impending Q4 and full year results, which are expected to be at the bottom end of or below EA’s guidance."

source:Anti-Social Behavior? EA Closes Sim City, Sims Social, Limits Facebook Exposure 

The closing of the Playing Mantis in canada that raised eyebrows because it was restructured in November last year for the mobile market as well as the recent announced partnership with Microsoft and Ubisoft demonstrate that their main concern now is no longer with Valve or Activision but maintain their position in marketplace.

And with respect to Simcity follows below a small indicator to take up a sense of how will the health of the new game.

" SimCity’s launch issues in early March were well publicized, and though it hung on to come in at #20, the trend is not looking good. During the last week of the month SimCity was the 34th most played game, and the drop off of new players joining the game has been precipitous since mid-month. It’ll be interesting to see what, if anything, EA can do to turn this around."

souce: RAPTR'S MOST PLAYED GAMES - MARCH 2013

Share this comment

Poor Simcity, 10 years, then they release a failure, I thought that things got better after time, but no, it seems like we get rotten apples and uncooked meat. EA can take back what they did because a decade of wait on a classic that breaks is not what the people asked for. 

I hope EA sees what they did when they are under the brink of bankrupcy. Maybe then they will be forgotten if they did something RIGHT instead of continuing the show they are doing.

Share this comment

During the last week of the month SimCity was the 34th most played game, and the drop off of new players joining the game has been precipitous since mid-month. It’ll be interesting to see what, if anything, EA can do to turn this around.

SimCity players want an online experience. SimCity players have always wanted an online experience....

Was cheetah speed re-introduced because Maxis fixed the issues with it,  or because so many fewer people are playing?

There are a number of steps EA could take, but are they willing to do so? I think not. Expect a flood of poorly-conceived and half-finished DLC as EA tries to rake in as much money as possible while it still can.

And when we're talking about unexpected server costs, let's not forget the free games EA wound up giving away because of the launch disaster.

Share this comment