• Announcement

• Dirktator

Got the wrong discs? Or didn't receive them in the mail?   06/20/2018

For those who opted for physical discs -- if you donated between April - June and you received the WRONG discs or NO discs in the mail, please email stexcd@simtropolis.com and include your donation info such as Paypal transaction ID and we will get this rectified!
  • Entries
  • Comments
  • Views

Entry no.21 - The Ring of Steel

The Ring of Steel(RoS) is the name of the main telecommunications array for the South Shore borough.
yVh1ISG.png

hJukMZZ.png

The array is built on Mount Tokiko(:)) which is 632ft /192m high and is positioned in an ideal location near the center of the city.
nsO48DO.png

There are much taller peaks both within and just outside Dresden city limits, such as Mount Hadron(1,145ft / 349m) and several others in the Phaeton mountain range that rise above 1,500ft / 450m tall. However none of them are easy to access because of steep cliff sides so it was cheaper to reach and build the array on Mount Tokiko.

In any case transmission towers on Mount Tokiko provided more than sufficient broadcast coverage for the local area.
Coverage from a transmitter at 1,000ft / 304m ASL level is enough to blanket practically all developed areas in Dresden.
ixrA5nq.png

There are a total of 7 towers at the RoS, 5 of which are custom bat's I created. There is only one other site in the entire region that features more towers in a single location, that being Radio City in Central Pretoria. Aside from AM transmitters, I never use the same tower twice in the region. IRL most large scale freestanding radio & tv towers are usually custom designs of differing heights. The only common exception is AM towers which are typically arranged in arrays of multiple towers positioned next to each other.

Tower designations(call signs)
9DUrWWj.png

The designation for each structure is based on ownership. Over the years additional towers were been built as demand and competition increased. There is little space left now for any additional towers. Some of the towers are exclusive use while other lease out space for different broadcasters who don't own a tower here to use. Space is also leased out to cellular companies and for direct link microwave transmissions.

Most of cities tallest structures are located at the RoS
SpIl3J2.png
The others are located at Dresden GS.

The tallest structure is WBNS's 3-sided diamond framed lattice tower which rises an impressive 839ft / 256m with a cross section of only 60ft / 18m. It is the second tallest structure in the city of Dresden and the South Shore borough.
svKSaLx.png

wVy4QuX.png

More views of the RoS
GWMORSd.png

kNUO2Fw.png

zVyx6Cq.png

XmVSfZq.png

HcntWOx.png

Y08R1BY.png

Wl95vN8.png

n2fSfhw.png

dPrlSyL.jpg

losooL9.jpg

I also took some pictures of the array on a recent trek I made up Mount Tokiko last week :P
OPYcqfo.png

KS7BKwN.png

P5J6plW.png

This entry was inspired by Seattle's Capitol Hill;
qsOTqJp.png

and other hilltop broadcast centers like these;
4wjLOk1.jpg

1HsGNT6.jpg

KVmkzyF.jpg

YKAetGs.jpg

Lastly with so many towers in one location, the aircraft warning lights make for a neat little light show at night.
sRNcTN7.gif

7 Comments

Recommended Comments

Kim Sunwoo
Thanks! funny enough I had to make a bunch of smaller towers to fill out the array. The first ones I made were way oversized.

tariely
lol, You think wearing a tin foil hat would help? :D

MushyMushy
Glad you liked that. I like seeing the aircraft warning lights flashing at night on tall highrises or towers IRL - gives them an urban feel, if that makes sense..

Share this comment