• Announcement

• Dirktator

Got the wrong discs? Or didn't receive them in the mail?   06/20/2018

For those who opted for physical discs -- if you donated between April - June and you received the WRONG discs or NO discs in the mail, please email stexcd@simtropolis.com and include your donation info such as Paypal transaction ID and we will get this rectified!
  • Entries
  • Comments
  • Views

Entry no.20 - Looper Junction

Takingyouthere

After months of work, with many breaks in between mind you, I've just about completed my Interchange Rebuild Project.

Looper Junction, located in Dresden of the South Shores borough is where highways 700 & 702 meet and one of 7 major interchanges that needed to be completely rebuilt.

current Highway System map;
hgZHIm0.png

As with the others, the reason for rebuilding this interchange is because I decided to used the Project Symphony highway mod, which is not compatible with NAM highway interchanges. Looper Junction before the rebuild;
V5Ed8ud.jpg

This was a rather difficult interchange to rebuild because of how the two highways met. I couldn't easily change the approaches of each highway without destroying a good portion of the city and extensive terrain modification. The lack of diagonal highway ramps for Project Symphony and elevated RHW additionally limited possible solutions. All of which necessitated a unique solution to fully connect the two highways.

My first attempt;
FMNNoeV.png

NV8zsk8.png

Not exactly very realistic or aesthetically pleasing.
Problem was the missing piece I needed to create the interchange I had in mind doesn't actually exist.
Then it hit me, why not just make it myself?

As for the name, I think its rather self explanatory as to why I settled on calling it Looper junction;
O27R84f.png

The missing piece;dLq87DM.jpg

08f7QSk.jpg

61NZr0Q.jpg

8G9qNvg.jpg

FBOhQbV.jpg

W2Zt2ah.jpg

mMQBaQB.jpg

PFE5Xq3.jpg

7Z0euA2.jpg

WVsCm9E.jpg

P8GWM4a.jpg

D1g4Umt.jpg

Admittedly its not the safest interchange around since most of the ramps don't have extended merging lanes. To account for this speeds are heavily restricted on the ramps and the 700 approaching/departing downtown Dresden. And a center median was also built to prevent the most dangerous type of collision(head on's). But most importantly it is fully functional;
EabihKS.gif

E6eVjCa.gif

LkrzZJg.gif

It's not as large or as free flowing as spaghetti junction but considering the circumstances, I think it came out alright;00r86ax.jpg

GgqEagT.jpg

GX7h2g8.jpg

bObcwbQ.jpg

Interchange rank of the BIG 9
Size in terms of total space - 5 of 9
Size in terms of ramps - (7) 5 of 9
Size in terms of entry lanes - (16) tied 6 of 9

6 Comments

Recommended Comments

Elaborate, piece of work ! If a automata was added first radio call would be; another traffic yam at Spaghetti Junction ! Realistic this should be covered by rapid transit ! Master performance in the small spaces, with great use of symphony, well done !

Share this comment

Urban Constanta,  MilitantRadical,
Thanks for the regards!

kschmidt
That's one of the thing I enjoy the most about SC4, creating a functional RHW/symphony interchange in a tight space like that :)

Share this comment