• Entries
  • Comments
  • Views

The American Civil War - Part 2

SimCoug

newsorgunmasthead.jpg

Update%2018%20-%200%20title.jpg?dl=1

Update 19

If you haven’t already, please feel free to view Part 1.

As before, kakado_to_save was kind enough to help me out on the image editing side, so please, if you have time, visit one of his current CJ’s (Volynsia, World War 2) and tell him what a great job he did.

Gettysburg

On July 1, 1863, fresh from his victory at Chancellorsville, General Robert E. Lee intended to take the fight to the northern cities in hopes of ending the war through a negotiated peace. Major General George Gordon Meade led the Union forces against Lee, meeting at the small town of Gettysburg, Pennsylvania. The first two days saw fierce fighting, with the south gaining ground both days. On the final day, General Lee ordered a massive infantry assault of some 12,000 confederate soldiers against the center of the union line. After giving the orders, all Lee could do was wait, and prey.

Update%2019%20-%201%20Gettysburg.jpg?dl=1

For those interested, here is an unedited clip from the movie “Gettysburg” depicting General Lee’s assault, now commonly known as ‘Pickett’s Charge’. The following images are based on this final engagement.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3po17QbHLRQ&feature=related

Confederate soldiers crossed over a half mile of open fields in the face of Union cannon fire.

Update%2019%20-%202%20Gettysburg.jpg?dl=1

Union soldiers, led by General Hancock (who was wounded in the battle) attempt to flank the Confederate assault, but are stopped near the Codori Farm.

Update%2019%20-%203%20Gettysburg.jpg?dl=1

During the climax of the assault, Lee’s forces pierce the Union line near the ‘copse of trees’.

gettysburg.jpg?1288933765

The fighting was devastatingly brutal, with heavy losses on both sides.

Update%2019%20-%204%20Gettysburg.jpg?dl=1

The Confederate infantry suffered especially heavy casualties, and were eventually forced to retreat from the battlefield. Here is a helpful map showing the last hour of Pickett’s charge.

picketts-charge-the.jpg

And finally, here is a massive SC4 mosaic depicting the battle. This is not scale accurate, but I think it is a decent representation of the actual battlefield. After the battle, General Lee was forced to withdraw his army back to Virginia – and while the battle was not a decisive defeat for the Confederacy, it is generally agreed that Gettysburg represents the turning point in the American Civil War.

Massive Mosaic - Click for full size

Dimensions: 6440x3280

Size: 5.3MB

Update%2019%20-%205%20Gettysburg.jpg?dl=1

Atlanta Campaign

During the summer of 1864, Major General William T. Sherman and the three Union armies under his command fought a series of battles throughout northwest Georgia, eventually culminating in the capture of Atlanta on September 2nd.

Update%2019%20-%206%20Atlanta.jpg?dl=1

In November of 1864, Sherman ordered the evacuation of Atlanta by all citizens. Then, on November 14, Sherman’s army burned government and military buildings.

atlanta-burning.jpg

The ensuing fire destroyed much of the city.

Update%2019%20-%207%20Atlanta.jpg?dl=1

The next day, As Sherman led his army east toward Savannah, he wrote: "Behind us lay Atlanta, smouldering and in ruins, the black smoke rising high in air, and hanging like a pall over the ruined city."

Massive Mosaic - Click for full size

Dimensions: 2680x2452

Size: 1.6MB

Update%2019%20-%208%20Atlanta.jpg?dl=1

Appomattox

Sherman’s ‘march to the sea’ demoralized the South, and severely disrupted supply lines. By the spring of 1865 the Confederacy was on her last legs. On April 9, General Robert E. Lee found his Army of Northern Virginia surrounded by union forces and unable to resupply. Lee made one last attempt to break through the Union lines, but the battle fought near the Appomattox Court House would be his last.

Appomattox_Court_House_Union_soldiers.jpg

Lee signed surrender documents that afternoon, and a formal surrender ceremony was held on April 12. For all intents and purposes, the American Civil War was finally over.

Update%2019%20-%209%20Appomattox.jpg?dl=1

I hope you enjoyed this little side project. I had a lot of fun ‘painting’ each scene, as well as researching pictures, appropriate BATs, and the historical facts to go along with each picture. I’d like to thank Kakado one last time for generously taking time to work his magical photo editing skills on these images. Next time we will head back west and see what is happening in the SorGun region and see how this major historical event has shaped our pioneers.

I’d love to hear your feedback, and thanks for visiting.

Replies to the last Teaser

MilitantRadical: I'll be there.

Hope you enjoyed it :)

ggamgus: Beautiful... :D

I have a request (more like a challenge, actually). Can you recreate the Battle of the Crater?

I would love to see that battle. If you don't know what it is, it involves Union troops detonating explosives beneath Confederate defenses in Virginia... :D

Ooof... that would be a heck of a challenge. I think there is a scene from that battle in the movie "Cold Mountain" right? Talk about some serious terraforming. I think these last two Civil War updates have taken all the energy I can muster for painting war scenes. I'd love to see your take on it though :)

Mithrik: Wow! I can't wait to see the battle of Gettysburg in SC4!

I spent quite a bit of time on Gettysburg because I wanted to get it right. I hope you enjoyed it.

dubaidude303: Waiting on this one! :)

Hope you liked it

NMUSpidey: I'm certainly looking forward to this. Are you researching this for school? Is there a special reason you're putting this together other than enjoyment? It's good, either way!

Nope, I've been done with school for a while now, and If there were school projects based on SC4 I'd probably have gotten better grades in History :) No, this is just for fun.

hahei: You can't tease us like this! No, no, no!!!! I hope that entry is soon.

Hopefully I didn't have you waiting too long :)

IL.: Dat's amazing :O

Thanks!

10000000000000: WHOA D:

Civil War is fun :)

but bloody ;(

I find history fascinating, and the Civil War is no different. And yes, very bloody - Old tactics combined with new weapons technology created enormous casualties.

Jetty Jockey: One would think that the Pacific Northwest would be pretty well insulated from events back east at this point in time, what with no transcontinental railway ( still under construction) or telegraph service. I'll be curious to see what's going on back in New SorGun during this period.

No doubt that the west escaped the violence of the war, but it's effects were certainly felt all along the west coast (politically, demographically, and financially). We'll head back west next time to see how things are going.

@grstudios - Hopefully I answered your question.

spursrule14: excited...can't wait!!!

Thanks, hope you enjoyed it.

23 Comments

Recommended Comments

That has to be one of the finest historical updates I have ever seen.

The accuracy of the historical facts coupled with relevant and breath-taking pictures - bravo, my friend, bravo!

Share this comment

Incredible work you did there!

I like a lot who you built Atlanta.

And kakado really made an excellent work with his photo-editing skills.

Share this comment

Outstanding work, once again. Without a doubt, the most impressive thing I've seen on Simtrop. 5/5 , only because they won't let me rate any higher.

Share this comment

I have no words for this epicness... O_O

You depicted all the major battles with great accuracy (given with the game's limitations), used a great selection of BATs, and made everything look lively. All of that with kakado's photo editing; let the pictures speak for themselves.

Share this comment

You guys outdo yourselves every time.

Just, this is spectacular, a great show of effort between you guys, one of the most horrific wars of that era displayed in such a beautiful way, makes me want to cry in the amazement.

Bravo.

All the stars.

Share this comment

This was amazing! I honestly loved that final picture, with Atlanta in flames. It was beautiful and poignant.

Share this comment

Well done! This side project was one of the most detailed and beautiful posts I have ever seen!
I admire your and kakado's work, and this really blew me away...
Have a good day,
Guy

Share this comment

This is probably the most epic update I've seen this year. I could not even imagine stretching SC4 this far before, but here it is. Just incredible.

Some interesting General Sherman trivia: General Sherman failed at almost everything he tried in his life to that point, notably a number of banking endeavors in the west. His wife was from a wealthy family, and he had to swallow his pride and send her and their children to live with his family while he tried to figure out how to make money outside of military service, as losing it came naturally to him. His failures hampered his military service as well, and there was no certainty at all as to his leadership and strategic skills prior to the March to the Sea. People in The South still hate him, and I believe there are places where it is simply impossible to name your children William or Sherman.

Share this comment

I've been to Appomattox before. That is a great representation of the town. Not be mean, but Lee surrendered in the McLean house down the street.

Share this comment

[color=#58534B][font='Open Sans', Tahoma, Geneva, helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3][img]http://img199.imageshack.us/img199/733/bestofthebestsmall.jpg[/img][/size][/font][/color]
[i][b][font='comic sans ms', cursive]CONGRATULATIONS!! THIS ENTRY WON [url="http://community.simtropolis.com/journal/2774/entry-18149-week-10-9312-9912/"]BEST OF THE BEST! - WEEKLY EDITION[/url] FOR THE CATEGORIES [color=#0000FF]DESTRUCTION, HISTORIC, JAW DROPPING, PHOTOSHOPPED, UNIQUE, YIKES![/color][/font][/b][/i]

Share this comment