• Views

The American Civil War

SimCoug

5967c73d54abd_Update18-0title.jpg.ec7ae54cef3c6cf1f4f451712fd599ec.jpg

Update 18

The American Civil War

1861-1865

Part 1

I am excited to present a special collaboration between myself and kakado_to_save. It became quite obvious that my skills in photo editing are severely lacking – so instead of spending hours upon hours practicing, I decided to just collaborate with one of the best photo editors I could think of. Fortunately, kakado was kind enough to help me out, and I think the results speak for themselves. I merely tinkered around in SC4 – kakado was able to bring these images to life.

Please, while you are viewing the following images, don’t forget to rep up kakado_to_save’s work – his most recent being World War 2 and Volynsia.

My goal was to use a real life image, either a photo, drawing or painting, and attempt to re-create the scene in SC4. I am happy with the results, and I hope you enjoy them too.

So, without further ado…

Fort Sumter

In the early morning of April 12th 1861, confederate batteries began firing on Fort Sumter after the union forces within the fort refused to surrender. The bloodiest conflict in American History had begun.

attack-fort-sumter.jpg

The confederate barrage lasted for 34 hours
5967c73ed9ff6_Update18-1fortsumtercloseupeffect.jpg.afcdc3f7d91cbea94d4d84867636c68b.jpg

On April 13th the union forces were forced to surrender. Amazingly, there were no casualties throughout the battle despite the fact that the fort was in complete ruins.
5967c7413299e_Update18-2fortsumterwideeffect.jpg.3e4b73b92fc1950c50b140fc2aa58c4d.jpg

Bull Run
On July 21st 1861 the union and confederate armies in Virginia faced off for the first time. It was widely believed that the Union army would defeat the confederate soldiers in battle and open up the way to Richmond, the Confederate capital, and end the war quickly.

23sudley.jpg

But the confederate line held, and a strong counterattack broke through the union lines, sending the routed Union army fleeing back to the safety of Washington, DC. The realization of a long, bloody war soon became apparent.
5967c7438601f_Update18-3BullRunHospital.jpg.e4eae8026dabfb5b928387fe3c902890.jpg

Shiloh
On April 6th 1862 the confederate army attacked an unprepared Federal force commanded by Ulysses S. Grant. The Southern rebels were initially successful, and the fighting continued all day and through the night.

Shiloh.gif

The next morning, the reinforced Union army counterattacked and overwhelmed the smaller Confederate force. With more than 23,000 casualties, Shiloh was the bloodiest battle of the civil war up to that point.
Update 18 - 4 Shiloh Small Effect.jpg

Antietam
The Union Army of the Potomac and Robert E. Lee’s Army of Northern Virginia faced off on September 17th 1862, producing the bloodiest day in American military history.

20060725151336.jpg

The battle was fought near Sharpsburg, Maryland over three days – and despite the fact that the result was more or less a draw, President Abraham Lincoln used the ‘victory’ to go forward with the Emancipation Proclamation, which would make the abolition of slavery a primary goal of the Civil War.
5967c748616ad_Update18-5Antietam.jpg.6a6d72ac43efc130f4d0edbf1cb9f828.jpg

To be continued…

24 Comments

Recommended Comments

The BEST conflict entry I've ever seen since Kakado's WWII entries. :O

P.S. You will NOT succeed, Jefferson Davis! :P

P.P.S. This music goes great with it, I think:

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEBKV8I9zhA"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEBKV8I9zhA[/url]

Share this comment

Absolutely stunning visuals! I really like your concept of a Civial War CJ, I intend to follow this closely.

A special request: Maybe you can do the Battle of New Market from the Shenandoah Valley Campaign. My alma mater (VMI) fought in the battle as a Confederate unit under Stonewall Jackson and drove the Union Army northwards away from New Market and Harrisonburg.

5 stars and a thumbs up are definitely warranted for this CJ, I love it!

Share this comment

WOW ! I'm at a loss for words that do this entry justice, so I'll stand by my initial reaction.. WOW ! Incredible work, guys. So life like and full of action. Can't wait to see what Gettysburg holds for us.

Share this comment

SUPERB! Just a message for kakado, CAN YOU PLEASE DO SOME PHOTOSHOPPING FOR ME?
Please?

Share this comment

brilliant. especially the 3rd picture..perfect placement of everything...WOW!!!!! it's moments like this that I remember why I like looking at everybody's entries and doing best of the best!

Share this comment

Oh, another reply by me - What are the various bushes you're using in the Bull Run picture? As a fan of flora, i've searched for bushes, yet haven't found any except VIP bushes...
I am talking specifically about the red blossoming bush, the yellow bush and that one with the white flowers on it. Some of the plain bushes are also welcomed...
If you share this with i'll thank you greatly!

Share this comment

Directors Commentary
-I can tinker around in photoshop and get some amateurish results, but I was blown away when @kakado_to_save came out with his World War II CJ, as well as his others.  Unfortunately it looks like all the images have since been lost to the internet black hole.  Anyway, at the time I wanted to do something about the Civil War, and it just made sense to see if Kakado would like to do the image editing part (while I made the original SC4 scenes).  Luckily for me he said 'sure' and you can see the results above.  When he initially sent me that first image with the streaking cannon ball, my jaw just dropped.  So if you ever see this, Kakado, thanks again for helping me out!  I had a blast.
-I'm not sure what prompted me to take actual images and try to recreate them in SC4, but it became a fun challenge.  Searching for BATs and props that fit in with each photo was like the ultimate scavenger hunt.  I may have to do it again someday.
*I am in the process of updating all the images in order to ensure they don't have broken links in the future - in addition I thought I would add a little commentary since it's been 5 years since these entries.

Share this comment