The Illyrian Empire

• Entries
  • Comments
  • Views

Solina

Sign in to follow this  
Daan300

Today's entry is about the rather peculiar municipality of Solina. It consists of two separated towns: Upper and Lower Solina. Both towns were constructed at the end of the XVth century to protect an important source of income for the Illyrian Empire: the salt pans of Solina. Salt in those times was so expensive it had to be properly protected. For this purpose two small defensive towns were built: the larger lower Solina along the coastal road and the smaller upper Solina above it, connected by a massive wall. During the XVth and XVIth centuries these two towns were extremely whealthy. Afterwards their importance began to decline and no new buildings were erected contributing to the remarkable preservation of the towns. It wasn't until the end of XIXth century that the towns began to grow again due to the construction of Solina train station. Today, the towns and the former bay in which the salt pans (which are no longer in use) are located are an attractive target for tourists.

Upper Solina and part of the connecting wall to Lower Solina. Also the old road winding down towards the salt pans.

S00.jpg

And Lower Solina with its small harbour which is no longer in use.

S01.jpg

The salt pans (also no longer in use). In the XVIth century a small fort was built to provide additional protection for the salt pans.

S02.jpg

Above the former bay with the salt pans a railway viaduct was constructed in the early XXth century, one of the most impressive ones in the Empire.

S03.jpg

And both towns with the wall inbetween them.

S04a.jpg

S04b.jpg

S04c.jpg

Finally, several overviews from different angles.

S05.jpg

S06.jpg

S07.jpg

S08.jpg

I hope you have enjoyed this entry, hopefully a new entry soon.

Sign in to follow this  

13 Comments

Recommended Comments

It's always great seeing a new update from Illyrian Coast. Wonderful job as usual

Share this comment

Nice Illyria isnt dead! Great to see you back..... I love the slat pans they rock. That area has a lot of character.

Share this comment

[color=#ff00cc][b]That is so unique.. I am totally picking my jaw up off the ground.[/b][/color]

[color=#ff00cc][b]So many different things and such a great way to use a hilly terrain.[/b][/color]

[color=#ff00cc][b]Love the rail bridge too.[/b][/color]

Share this comment

Very nice!

May I reccomend a change in rock mod to one of Marsh's HD rock mods? I think it could do wonders for your CJ ;)

Share this comment