• Announcement

• Dirktator

Got the wrong discs? Or didn't receive them in the mail?   06/20/2018

For those who opted for physical discs -- if you donated between April - June and you received the WRONG discs or NO discs in the mail, please email stexcd@simtropolis.com and include your donation info such as Paypal transaction ID and we will get this rectified!

Schulmania

• Entries
  • Comments
  • Views

Basilica of St. Francis & St. Flora

Schulmanator

CJ_MASTHEAD.jpg

Middle Tenne: Basilica of St. Francis & St. Flora

To avoid confusion, the coronation church for Schulminion monarchs is the tiny, ancient Church of St. Francis and St. Flora, located in the heart of the old capital city of Wirt, on the island of Schulmanicus. So, what we will see here is something brand new, and much, much bigger. The Basilica of St. Francis and St. Flora is the largest religious structure in the nation and serves as a focal point for pilgrimages and religious activities in the rapidly expanding Tenne area of Schulmania. The massive, majestic new structure is located on an island in a Tenne River lake whose shoreline is designated as an archbishopric and administered by religious officials in the adjacent city of Franciflorianopolis.

The massive edifice dominates the small island, which is accessible only by boat, and is accompanied by several small support structures. The orientation of the basilica itself has the front facing the front of the saints’ residential compound across the water. The design for the church comes from a team of monks headed by Schulmanopheus of Temple Terrace and Theomeowric of New Atkinos. The cost was entirely paid for by donations from the faithful and surplus donations were used for scholarships to the nearby monastic school in Franciflorianopolis.

Now, to tour the island and its magnificent centerpiece, the Basilica of St, Francis and St. Flora.

bff00.jpg

We arrive on Franciflora Island as the port by ferry from Franciflorianopolis

bff00a.jpg

Due to the isolated location of the basilica, the thoughtful monks have built an accommodations building for worshipper and pilgrims. The structure offers free rooms for those staying overnight on the island.

bff00b.jpg

The monks also operate other support facilities for the pious travelers. They could not think of everything, though… they were unable to design diagonal or curved functional pedmall tiles. But after all, who doesn’t like right angles?!

bff00c.jpg

The small support services area is on the southern tip of the island, just across the lake from the residence of St. Francis and St. Flora

bff01.jpg

Here is our first glimpse of the majestic basilica

bff03.jpg

And here’s the whole island. Now we can see just how massive the structure is.

bff06.jpg

A rear view, highlighting the stunning stone architecture of the building

bff07.jpg

From the side, one can appreciate the massive vaulted roof and soaring towers

bff08.jpg

The entry is stunning

Cologne-Cathedral2.jpg

bff09.jpg

As is typical in Schulminion construction, nature is always nearby

AAAIMG_1162_prefRes.jpg

bff10.jpg

A different view of the basilica

11-cologne-cathedral-cologne-cathedral-germany-120845.jpg

Inside-Cologne-Cathedral-.jpg

bff11.jpg

As you can imagine, this church has the highest number of flying buttresses in Schulmania

bff12.jpg

The soaring towers can be seen from miles away

bff13.jpg

Entrances feature elaborate carved stone by artisans from across the nation

the-cologne-cathedral-kc3b6lner-dom-germany.jpg

bff14.jpg

The towers are names after the patron saints. The one on the left of the main entry is St. Francis Tower and the right is St. Flora

bff15.jpg

The massive, soaring façade is the largest structure of any kind in the Middle Tenne area and became iconic even as construction was finishing

65030_aec209d58b47ea851beeda9bbe68ce06_large.jpg

bff16.jpg

In case you were wondering what type of fish you can catch whilst on the island, it is the holy mackerel

bff17.jpg

“Holy Mackerel”?! Lame, yes. But, it was so easy I just HAD to do it!

seeMoreArchive.jpg

3rXU8c4Lsn1.png

.jpg

14 Comments

Recommended Comments

Holy mackerel! I'll bet fishing for that is restricted to protect their numbers, and the price is high and the taste is divine. Holy Toledo, what a catch that would be.

Also, is that now the tallest building (besides the Basilica) in Schulmania, that hotel near the ferry?

Share this comment

Another fine update! I have to say I really love those two late mide-evil early renaissance columns that remind me of the two I saw at the edge of the Palazzo de San Marco in Venice! Where did you get them?!

Share this comment

The chuch on an Island is like mont Saint Michel in france

[img]http://thebesttraveldestinations.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/Mont_Saint_Michel_Castle_01.jpg[/img]

Share this comment

Holy mackerel, that was an awesome update! :D

Also, how long did it take to build that basilica? I don't think there's a stone quarry on the island, and it would take a long time to ferry all that stone over to the island (not to mention other building materiels, as well as the workers).

Share this comment

[IMG]http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z141/Schulmanator/2011%20Default/replies-bank.jpg[/IMG]

[b]REPLIES[/b]

[i]NOTE: All replies above this are now added to post count totals for rank and awards.[/i]

[b]NMUSpidey[/b] Indeed! The taste is divine but there’s something fishy about the smell! Anywho, it is among the tallest structures in the nation. I’ll bet its only rivals are either in Friendsville or the ancient Smightower.

[b]10000000000000[/b] Matthew was right… the taste is divine!

[b]Benedict[/b] Thanks! I have waited a long time to do this one.

[b]LastTrueChamp[/b] Thanks! I am glad you like it. I am a Gothic fan too.

[b]Zagahlo[/b] Nope. It must be noon. Welcome to Schulmania!

[b]Dafiden[/b] Thanks! I am glad you enjoyed this.

[b]JCmustng81[/b] Thanks for asking, and welcome to Schulmania. These are actually from Budapest (Column of Heroes)and on the STEX.

[b]MODERNMAN74[/b] Thank you! I am glad you liked it. Welcome to Schulmania.

[b]Escilnavia[/b] [i]Obrigado![/i] Glad you like it!

[b]TowerDude[/b] Indeed! I can certainly see a similarity here.

[b]Emperordaniel[/b] Thank you! I am glad you like it. Gotta say I am glad I was not in charge of building this one!

[b]Usfighter15[/b] Thanks! [insert blush here]

[b]Kraboomjing[/b] Thanks! Right cathedral, but it is in Germany. :) And welcome to Schulmania!

[right][Volume 3 Update #226][/right]
[right]Please feel free to continue to view and comment on this entry.[/right]

Share this comment