• Entries
  • Comments
  • Views

Update 8: Street Expansion

Sign in to follow this  
GreekMan

Hello! Sorry for not having an update since the middle of August. I was in Santa Barbara, California for 10 days then I came back and started school which was last week! Hopefully I can get back into the grove of things and update more frequently!

introsb.jpg

Last time we were in Auburn, she was in the mist of a large population boom. AS the first couple thousand people arrived into the harbor to call Auburn their new home, the city quickly began to widen (1) Harbor Blvd running east-west and (2) Broadway which is Auburn's longest street that runs north-south. Other projects included rezoning for higher density buildings and adding a park in back of City Hall. Before major construction happened, downtown looked as such:

olddowntown.jpg

City Council approved the steet widening project with a vote of 5-2. After the approval by the city government, city surveyors quickly began to survey the existing area and draw up plans for a street expansion. The area before construction began:

pre1y.jpg

pre2x.jpg

ferryterminalstreetexpa.jpg

broadway2.jpg

streetexpansion.jpg

Two weeks after the plans and drawings were finished, the city began to transform its major downtown streets from a two lane road to four lane avenue. The city hired refugees that had just arrived in the city's major port. An estimated 3400 workers were used which made this project run smoothly. Construction began:

hearlsstrretexpansion.jpg

broadwayandharborconstr.jpg

Unfortunately, several downtown buildings stood in the way of the project. The city was forced to use eminent domain to secure lots that needed to be torn down in order to expand Broadway:

broadwayexpansion.jpg

Within a couple of months of construction, which turned downtown streets into a living nightmare for commuters and residents alike, the street expansion project was complete!

avecorner.jpg

finishedbroadandharbor.jpg

terminal2.jpg

City planners argued wheather or not, Broadway should have been placed under of above the freeway. A vote was cast among a group of city planners who sprearheaded the project. The decision to go underground was won 3-2:

freewayl.jpg

precityhallold.jpg

A new park behind City Hall gave the residents around the Civic Center some much needed green space. The Churchill neighborhood(named for the small hill that the Baptist church is perched on) was happy to see a new space for recreation:

newcityhall.jpg

With all the new construction going on, City Hall approved construction of three new buildings within the downtown core. the first and third builds went up within a matter of several months. The last building took about ten months to complete.

downtownconstruction.jpg

The building on the left is home to the Taylor, Taylor and Hon Law Firm which employees and estimated 1,900 workers. The middle building is home to the newly established Center City Development Corporation or CCDC for short, which was created to oversee all downtown projects. Finally, The builing on the right is home to the HSBC Bank and is the national headquarters in the Republic of Columbia.

3tallbuildigns.jpg

Within a year of hard work, a small two week strike over food processing and with the help of thousands of workers, a new city skyline was born:

downtownnew1.jpg

downtownnew2.jpg

Don't forget to post! :read:

Thanks for doing so. It means so much!

Sign in to follow this  

30 Comments

Recommended Comments

Yay! Auburn is back! I was just thinking yesterday, "Gee, I haven't seen an update for Auburn in a while..." And here it is! The downtown is looking great and I love the newly approved buildings. :ohyes:

I have a question: Do you use any photo-editing software to edit your pictures? Because they are always so crisp, bright, and colorful. Anyway, glad to see more of Auburn. Great update! :thumb:

Share this comment

Woo-hoo! An Auburn update! :party:

I must say, GreekMan, your CJ is the only one I'm looking at where the first thing I do is open every picture in its own tab, return to the main post, and scroll down slowly to read the story and look at each image's tab closely. Your CJ is extremely realistic, and I love taking my time to look at each picture and all the details it has. Your stories are short but perfectly adequate to describe the situation without being too long. All in all, a truly outstanding CJ!

My first thought on the Broadway expansion was, "Oh, no! He had to nuke that sweet multi-colored residential condo building with the rooftop pool and umbrellas!" But, after looking at the new skyline, I can see the advantage of doing so!

I have to agree with Jetty Jockey - that new interchange at the freeway that was diverted away from Broadway (because of the underpass) looks like it's pretty congested already. I'm looking forward to seeing how that works out, as well as how the upgraded avenues spur on city growth.

Again, a most excellent update. Keep it up, sir!

Share this comment

Yay! I'm happy to see the new skyline. It's very striking. I think up soon on the city council docket will be upgrading those streets to full-fledged roads. 5/5!

Share this comment

Absolutely amazing. But where did you get that off ramp that leads straight onto the road? I've been looking for one of them for ages.

Share this comment

Absolutely gorgeous city. Wow! I always have a hard time making my medium-sized cities look original. This is perfect!

Share this comment

ya just a cupple of days ago im like wheres auburn update
and here it is looks great[img]http://www.simtropolis.com/forum/public/style_emoticons/default/39.gif[/img]

Share this comment