Sign in to follow this  
Compromise

Private Topics

30 posts in this topic Last Reply

I am just going to post a bit of information over this interesting new feature as not everybody understands what it is.

You will notice at the top of the forum index there is a little area called private topics. Here if you click "new topic" you are asked who is going to be allowed to view your new topic and you select a few user names of your choice.

After that you make the topic just like any other and it is then posted in the private topics folder but only you, the users you selected and (I think) the admins can see it.

This is a useful feature if you want a forum style chat with a group of people. Bear in mind that the creator of that thread unlike normal can delete there topics and do a few other things.

Thanks for telling us what the Private Topics section was for Compromise, I was wondering what the function of that section was. 44.gif

well.. despite the fact that i'm stupid, I still can't see it.. where is it?

Thats for letting us know about that, didn't know about it myself...such a handy feature to use, sure I'll be using it in the future!

Originally posted by: sloppet

well.. despite the fact that i'm stupid, I still can't see it.. where is it?quote>

On the main forums page, there are 8 different forum sections. The top forum section is called Private Topics. Here is a screenshot:

http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/1508/pt22rk.jpg

yes.. I've checked it, and it is there... i didn't noticed that before... lol

Private Topics is a handy way to collaborate with groups on small projects or flush out ideas, or if you want to discuss something separate from the rest of simtropolis, feel free to use private topics.  Again, only the thread creator and the invited users can see that private topic. 

• Original Poster
  • The dirktatorship posted in a thread created by me, my life is complete and thanks for that verification sim1234. 18.gif

I actually have a feeling I am actually going to enjoy this feature, better than PMing loads of people. 10.gif

Thank you Compromise for explaining what it is and thank you Dirk for clarifing the privacy component of it.  I'm sure it will be well used. 10.gif 

Ah, I now understand! I have been wondering about that since it popped up, I assumed it was the private moderator forums and such, but this is great to know.

Thanks Compromise, and thanks Dirk for putting in this great feature.

Originally posted by: dirk

Private Topics is a handy way to collaborate with groups on small projects or flush out ideas, or if you want to discuss something separate from the rest of simtropolis, feel free to use private topics.  Again, only the thread creator and the invited users can see that private topic. quote>

Thanks Dirk.  I can forsee that being very useful.  (In fact, I have an idea now).

That's useful. Very useful. I have ideas for it already! Great feature. 9.gif

Thanks for the link, Compromise. Truly an interesting feature. Glad to hear that we have it!

Apparently, sometimes a member won't show up when you search for them to admit them to the thread.

It won't let me make a thread that permits vidioman in it.... (as such I haven't actually started said thread yet).

Just saw this thread so I will repost my question, as it has more relevance here than in the other thread were I post it.

Is it possible to invite new user to an excitent privat topic thread ? and if yes HOW ?

Well I figur out that it is possible to invited new members to the Privat Topics thread.

When you post new posts you get the opportunity to invited other users to the thread.

EDIT:

When you edit or reply to a post click on [ users ] under the text window:

pfaddingpersons2hk.jpg

Originally posted by: newyorkstate Wow! I never knew. I'm learning new things all the time!quote>

Same here....now i feel like an idoit......lol

I've been trying to add a member to a private topic. I've searched, picked their name, moved it to the include list, and clicked 'add user' but they are unable to enter, and the list doesn't change. Is there some trick to this?

-ACE

• Original Poster
  • Also, it has been discovered that private topics don't work for a few users and so you can't add them to private threads.

Hi, thanks for this great feature

I have one question, I create a private topic, and I have post pics in it (hosted on imageshack), and I wondering if the picture size limits also applied in private topic ?

If yes I will edit my post

Thanks

Sorry for bumping this but I believe this is the right place to ask.

Can anyone tell me how to move a private topic to the public forum?