dan2004

How to install content from STEX Discs

4 posts in this topic Last Reply

• Original Poster
  • How do I download and install content from the Stex DVD into my Simcity 4 game?  I have installed the Stex DVD  onto my computer, but haven't figured how to add the content into my game.

58 minutes ago, dan2004 said:

How do I download and install content from the Stex DVD into my Simcity 4 game?  I have installed the Stex DVD  onto my computer, but haven't figured how to add the content into my game.

I went through threads in this forum on installing and there are differences between the volumes. Currently a lot of people are getting the disk(s) and your question would be best answered and shared as a thread on its own.   If you go back to the 'Simtropolis Related' forum where you found this thread there's a red button to 'Start New Topic'.  Use your question as the title and indicate which Stex disk you have.   There are different answers depending on which disk you have, and there's several different volumes and disk versions.  This thread is just about the site reaching 20K files of user created content.

11 minutes ago, RandyE said:

If you go back to the 'Simtropolis Related' forum where you found this thread there's a red button to 'Start New Topic'.

Keeping things simple, I've moved this topic for you @dan2004.

Sorry, can't help you with your question, I've never seen the discs myself. But, for some generic advise, all plugins need to be placed into the Documents\SimCity 4\Plugins folder to work. If those files are .zip files, they must be extracted or the game won't necessarily see them. Same for any which come with installers, you need to run that installer before use.

I think the discs will just be a showcase of the files upon the CD. There should be an option somewhere to copy or install that files when you select them.

If that's not helping, hold tight, someone more knowledgeable will almost certainly be along to help :).

If you open the disk it will have tabs for different categories of files but in the top far right corner is a tab labeled "Help".  Click it and it lays out the instructions on what to do with the files start to finish.  I strongly suggest you take your time looking over all the files and don't go nuts downloading a bunch all at once or you will most assuredly run into errors.  One file at a time, read the entire readme file for each download and make sure it works before you go downloading more.  It's real easy to just start popping off files into your plugins folder but it will cause problems if you're not confident that you know what you're doing.  There is a ton of great stuff on them and they're real easy to just grab and go but, seriously, try to resist the urge if you can.  One at a time.  Enjoy looking through them - like a big SC4 Christmas catalog!