Sign in to follow this  
Guest Joel Jose

Couldn't decide which free game to redeem

19 posts in this topic Last Reply

Guest Joel Jose

So...we all paid for a game that cost $60.00
..."they" say that, "the amount ($) of money offered reflects how "sorry" the people, at fault, really are".

So...I looked up the costs of these games on Origin...and this is what they offered...

Battlefield 3 $12.00
Dead space 3 $29.99
Mass Effect 3 $9.99
Medal of Honor - Warfighter $14.99
SimCity4 DE $19.99 (*for a 10 year old game*)
Need for Speed - Most Wanted $24.99
Bejeweled 3 $9.99
Plants vs. Zombies $5.00

...really?...EA does not seem sorry at all...

...I pass...

Just wondering... will SimCity 4 even work properly on modern PCs? I've heard that you have to do some tweaking to let it run smoothly. If that's the case, then it's sort of pointless that they're offering it as an apology. XD

Just wondering... will SimCity 4 even work properly on modern PCs? I've heard that you have to do some tweaking to let it run smoothly. If that's the case, then it's sort of pointless that they're offering it as an apology. XD

I run it on my Windows 8 desktop just fine. :) The biggest issue SC4 has with modern systems is with multi-core processors. But it's easy enough to fix, and certainly not a new problem that we've been dealing with.

Re: the pricing of the free game offerings.. I don't think anyone should really have expected $60 title as compensation for a $60-$80 game. I was actually pretty impressed with the titles given.. My biggest problem is that I either already have them (Mass Effect, NFS, Plants vs. Zombies, SC4), or I would be more inclined to play them on a console than on a PC (Battlefield, Medal of Honor, Dead Space).

I run it on my Windows 8 desktop just fine. :) The biggest issue SC4 has with modern systems is with multi-core processors. But it's easy enough to fix, and certainly not a new problem that we've been dealing with.

Alrighty then! Thanks for clearing that up! I'm still in the process of deciding which game to pick so you've put SC4 into one of my considerations~ :D

Re: the pricing of the free game offerings.. I don't think anyone should really have expected $60 title as compensation for a $60-$80 game. I was actually pretty impressed with the titles given..

Agreed. I think the fact that they're offering Dead Space 3 and NFS: MW (both relatively new games) for free is already a big deal. I guess they were putting other older and/or cheaper options on the table just in case some people already owned these games. Can't expect them to fully compensate the game.

SC4 runs fine on newer PCs as long as your CPU speed is 3GHZ or more. Remember back in 2003 the Pentium 4 rained supreme.. Only 1 core but ht had 3GHZ+ of power. As long as your multi-core CPUs are 3GHZ or more you should be fine.

There are ways to tinker this game to run in widescreen, windowed mode, and even windowed full screen mode. If your graphics card has some problems the game can even be tweaked to run with a older directx driver to make sure it works well.

Even more, the game can be patched to use up to 4GB of RAM. It will only use 2GB max but if you apply a 4GB 'patch' to the EXE file it will use up to 4GB of dedicated RAM, making it run much better.

Anyways hopefully these tips helped you out!

I would have preferred an option to upgrade to the digital deluxe edition, but I suppose ME3 will have to do...

Offering an upgrade to the digital deluxe edition would've been pointless. I know this because I've got the digital deluxe edition. The city sets are pointless. Sure there's a couple of exclusive buildings but they're by no means game-changing.

SC4 runs fine on newer PCs as long as your CPU speed is 3GHZ or more. Remember back in 2003 the Pentium 4 rained supreme.. Only 1 core but ht had 3GHZ+ of power. As long as your multi-core CPUs are 3GHZ or more you should be fine.

There are ways to tinker this game to run in widescreen, windowed mode, and even windowed full screen mode. If your graphics card has some problems the game can even be tweaked to run with a older directx driver to make sure it works well.

Even more, the game can be patched to use up to 4GB of RAM. It will only use 2GB max but if you apply a 4GB 'patch' to the EXE file it will use up to 4GB of dedicated RAM, making it run much better.

Anyways hopefully these tips helped you out!

Those processors are so different that the clock speed doesn't even matter.

I would have preferred an option to upgrade to the digital deluxe edition, but I suppose ME3 will have to do...

Offering an upgrade to the digital deluxe edition would've been pointless. I know this because I've got the digital deluxe edition. The city sets are pointless. Sure there's a couple of exclusive buildings but they're by no means game-changing.

I know, but I'd gladly take those exclusive buildings over some games that either I already have, or have no interest in owning. 

I know, but I'd gladly take those exclusive buildings over some games that either I already have, or have no interest in owning. 

Yeah, I know how you feel. I ended up with Dead Space 3. Woo-f**king-hoo.

I don't understand what EA was thinking when selecting the free games on offer: "If you like the SimCIty series, then you'll love these first-person shooters or this racing game." WTF?

They could have at least offered the digital deluxe upgrade pack. Oh, but we'd be most likely to get that anyway and get the most out of it, so they must try to milk us out of DLC!

i bought this piece of crap on 16 or 17.03, but I see no free game in Origin. I am not qualified for it or what?

You should see it when you open the Origin app: there's usually a second window which pops up with news or special offers (unless you have it disabled, in which case you should re-enable it.)

i bought this piece of crap on 16 or 17.03, but I see no free game in Origin. I am not qualified for it or what?

You should see it when you open the Origin app: there's usually a second window which pops up with news or special offers (unless you have it disabled, in which case you should re-enable it.)

sorry, no pop-up, no launched featured today no nothing. anyway, I invested already too much time and nerves on this piece of crap, i'll quit and turn back to my beloved U.S.S. Solitudes in Star Trek Online.. a week off t is too much for my crew.

I already have the Simcity 4 and Mass Effect 3, so I decided to take Battlefield 3, the prices can be an option but BT3 you can play, and replay and replay lot of times because is a multiplayer game.

PS: and yes, the EA's "apologizes" doesn't seem to be very sincere...

I dunno what came over me; i think it was the fact that I had only one game, in my  origin library, SIMCITY, and I felt that I had already reached my quota of tears at that point in the evening.

In the event, I somehow ended up with NFS:

"OK, EA, YOU WIN!"

The first nano-second of the first load-screen brought the first Advert. My breaking point; finally.

The amount of bald-faced hucksterism contained within NFS:Most Wanted, is astounding.I'm still bruised, and bleeding from my last night with SC, and the last thing I need is EA rubbing my face into the fact that not only am ! the owner(?) of a broken stream of ones-and-zeros, and two useless/punishment codes, but that they have rewarded my temerity with a piece of a game.

At least they are consistent; I predict EA wins  'The Golden Poo', two years running.

What game did you pick?

I thought it was a bit odd that it was heavy on the shooters side.  I would have thought the older Sims 3 expansions might have featured in there seeing as we are obviously simulation fans but price isn't everything.  I got nearly 50 hours of gameplay out of Plants vs Zombies.  SC4 probably a lot, lot more and I paid around £20 for that way back when. 

I picked Mass Effect 3 as my freebie and that is supposed to take around 21 hours or so for the main story which is a decent enough chunk of time for me. 

It's just a PR move sure but the selection of games are much better than them throwing us a money off coupon for the Origin store which would probably just bring a game in line with prices at other well known online outlets.  ie: basically useless.