Sign in to follow this  
rawls

Update 1.7 (Traffic Improvements) Is Live

27 posts in this topic Last Reply

Adds improvements to car traffic routing, as well as the ability to destroy those lingering filler buildings. 

Update 1.7
  • Traffic Improvements: Tuned traffic congestion and fixed some intersection traffic issues.
  • Traffic improvements: Emergency Vehicles will drive in empty lanes to get around traffic at intersections.
  • Traffic improvements: Emergency and Delivery vehicles get priority over regular traffic when leaving garage.
  • All units and buildings can now be demolished using the bulldoze tool.
  • Performance improvements for low spec systems.
  • New Server: Asia 2 will be released Tuesday afternoon (PDT)!

That's nice and all but I have never had an issue with AI I couldn't overcome. I would think the priority as far as fixes go would be preventing cities from be lost and recovering those that have been lost.

That's nice and all but I have never had an issue with AI I couldn't overcome. I would think the priority as far as fixes go would be preventing cities from be lost and recovering those that have been lost.

That was fixed ages ago and the traffic issue is clearly the biggest issue now. The loss of cities hasn't happened in weeks. Unless data corrupts upon transfer but no amount of patches can stop that.

If  you're never getting 100k visitors a day in your city causing traffic problems, you're doing something wrong!

That was fixed ages ago and the traffic issue is clearly the biggest issue now. The loss of cities hasn't happened in weeks. Unless data corrupts upon transfer but no amount of patches can stop that.

If  you're never getting 100k visitors a day in your city causing traffic problems, you're doing something wrong!

I wouldn't say it was fixed ages ago... the server issues and losing cities is definitely better than it was, but I just lost a city again yesterday just as I was about to finish my arco great work.

There was a patch to reduce the risk, but by what percent nobody knows. Go look at the support thread, there's about 4-6 reports an HOUR of it and that's a small sample of players. I'm not sure how you can say it hasn't happened in weeks as some sort of fact but you couldn't be more wrong.

Traffic issues tend to be more PEBKAC than anything. I've had huge populations with mega traffic and handled it fairly well once I learned more about the game.

I would think the priority as far as fixes go would be preventing cities from be lost and recovering those that have been lost.

That's weird. I'v never lost my city even thought I'v played 32 hours. I guess I'm just lucky?  :golly:

I would think the priority as far as fixes go would be preventing cities from be lost and recovering those that have been lost.

That's weird. I'v never lost my city even thought I'v played 32 hours. I guess I'm just lucky?  :golly:

You'll join the club eventually. :)

• Original Poster
  • That's nice and all but I have never had an issue with AI I couldn't overcome. I would think the priority as far as fixes go would be preventing cities from be lost and recovering those that have been lost.

Different people working on different things. I am pretty sure that the guy who does the traffic AI isn't responsible for lost cities. You can prioritize something, but usually not everyone on the team will be able to contribute to it. 

Is this how it looks for everyone else following the update? I have 3 terminals each with 24 buses, 3 streetcar depots each with 15 streetcars, and my entire city is high density avenues. I do have a train stop and hundred or so bus stops.

Spark_2013_03_19_16_45_50.png

• Original Poster
  • Is this how it looks for everyone else following the update? I have 3 terminals each with 24 buses, 3 streetcar depots each with 15 streetcars, and my entire city is high density avenues. I do have a train stop and hundred or so bus stops.

This happened already before the update.

I haven't tested the exact setup in the videos, but I wen't back into an old city with a near constant gridlock on a triangle shaped set of avenues near the region entrance. Traffic was still heavy there, but it was flowing at a decent clip, there's a lot less people trying to do u-turns in that case.

On another very small city (about 5 or 6 blocks) I've noticed there are a lot more people walking to work and back, which has eased traffic there to close to nothing.

I haven't tested the exact setup in the videos, but I wen't back into an old city with a near constant gridlock on a triangle shaped set of avenues near the region entrance. Traffic was still heavy there, but it was flowing at a decent clip, there's a lot less people trying to do u-turns in that case.

On another very small city (about 5 or 6 blocks) I've noticed there are a lot more people walking to work and back, which has eased traffic there to close to nothing.

Without the benefit of formal testing I too feel as though I'm experiencing reduced traffic congestion but I can't pinpoint the changes.  What I do know is that I had set up some release valves to shunt traffic which weren't being used but they seem to be processing more traffic than before with 1.7.  I'm not saying I'm traffic free because I still have some problems but they're improved because the previously underutilized options are now being used a bit more.

Edit:

I went back to my first city that was ~100k, it filled the whole map, and although the traffic was marginally bad I also had tons of roads to try and distribute the traffic.  I just went back and put it on speed 3 and after ~5 minutes my population jumped up 15k to 115k when before  I had been dealing with declining population due to traffic jams and delays.

I hope this means much greater flexibility (and intuitiveness) in building the road network instead of being so harshly pwned when you make a couple of changes to the road network, e.g., adding or removing intersections, upgrading density, etc..

There is no "speed 3" 

It's been disabled for awhile now. Selecting speed "3" is no faster than "2".

Yes, you can set your city to that speed, but it is not faster than "2"

emergency vehicles stop at red lights, whens the last time you saw that happen in real life.....

Agreed, but low on my desired fix list atm.

yes but very frustrating when half your city is on fire....

"Traffic issues tend to be more PEBKAC than anything."

LOL, like the 29 moving trucks that did crazy circles round an round? How's that PEBKAC?

LOL, like the garbage trucks do crazy stuff while picking up garbage? rather than orderly take out house by house, street by street? How's that PEBKAC?  Not all my garbage gets picked up, adding more trucks didn't help because they still don't get to it all and that just causes more traffic problems what's the point of having all the trucks following single file (initially) and now they have a fix, the trucks leap frog each other blahahah...

How about a real fix, each truck takes a street, and goes down that street from one end to the other taking each house one by one.  Not take one house, pass 5 houses, make some crazy turn  head to the opposite side of town and start their craziness.

LOL, like the lack of bus AI? I put the bus stops down, I want them to take a certain route...why do they go all over the place not do proper coverage...what's the solution add more buses? great now I have more buses taking up more traffic...

pfft...

It's not a PEBKAC thing,  The game's AI is nonsense...

Traffic seems to bottleneck in several points instead of one, my city of Cranksville has five sub-exits (including a high density avenue) connecting up to the main exit and before the avenue and the road to it's immediate right would be clogged up with traffic, and the avenue's tailback would be about a kilometre long. Now it is half the length, plus the other subexits are now more busier so I guess the new path-finding is working.

Ok so odd note. I added a better road and nothing happened. No cars used it. Reset the map going to another city and back. Cars used the new route. So its a bit hard to judge the impact of roads. However it does seem the traffic is moving much better in my 120k city. In fact I was able to cut out roads and add houses. Still the AI for Buses and a lot of vehicles need a TON of work. Like someone mentioned, buses need proper routes.  REALLY! 

• Original Poster
  • new traffic patch not working fully (mostly)

It works! Obviously traffic agents don't make their choice which road to take instantly, so it takes a while till they take the new route.

I tested it with a different layout:

Traffic issues tend to be more PEBKAC than anything. I've had huge populations with mega traffic and handled it fairly well once I learned more about the game.

LOL. I shouldn't have to T-intersection my city to death and play stupid games with the road AI just so my cities aren't in perpetual gridlock. I want to build a semi-realistic city, and the fact that traffic AI is dumb and there is only one road in and out of my city (creating a major choke point) is preventing that. 

While this does help for high volume destinations that accept a lot of sims (expo center, stadium, etc) it still doesn't fix the core issue of the traffic problem. The biggest problem people have is that you have tons of people trying to turn left, right, or u-turn and jamming traffic up because no one can get past (so you'll see three lanes of traffic all trying to get into one lane). The problem is that no one in that long line of traffic wants to go straight because they are all trying to get to the same darn spot (so you can have 200 agents trying to all get to the same business that only needs 5 of them). I have built cities where you put all the industry in one spot and then use several different residential communities that are of varying distance from the industry and the same thing happens every time. You get a swarm of traffic that all heads to the closest community and they fill in all the houses. Those that can't find a house then start u-turning and heading towards the next destination on the list of closest homes, as do all the cars that were following them. Then the process repeats. Build a city that has distinct areas (like you'd find in real life) and turn on the data layer that lets you see population by color. You'll see swarms of workers all doing the same thing, swarms of shoppers doing the same thing, and swarms of tourists all doing the same thing. You'll see plenty of times where you'll see a pack of cars (I saw shoppers and students in my test city) following each other trying to find a house to live in.

You'll also get a kick out of watching shoppers walk clear across town to find a house to live in. That happens because the leave their house that is near a commercial area and walk to it because it is close. Then when they are done they go try to find the closest house to live in. Since drivers arrive too (and can move quicker) they start filling in the houses where these shoppers came from. So now they need to find somewhere to live and will walk towards the next house that has room. It can take a few hours in sim time if they head to a neighborhood only for it to fill up and force them to walk to another neighborhood. It is just another example of how the first come first server approach to everything creates a system that looks nothing like you'd see in the real world. The way to plan your traffic is around how the system works and what works in real life doesn't work in the game. In real life people spread out over a large area when they are commuting. In this game they stay clumped together.