AIX

Show Us Your Pet

108 posts in this topic Last Reply

We have a thread on here for showing our pictures, but why not one for our furry little friends? Here is my Daisy - a miniature dachshund I rescued from a neglectful home in Washington state.

Speaking of rescuing... I implore anyone on here who is thinking of getting a new cat/dog/etc to go to the Humane Society or your local shelter/rescue instead of going to the pet store!

Daisy.jpg

The controller in the background is because I was going down memory lane and playing the original "Super Mario" game :D

These days one should always consider a rescue if you just want a pet.  There are thousands of good dogs being put down every day and by some pretty brutal means, when they don't find adoptive parents.  If dogs are man's best friend, why do we betray them so often?

Here is my last Irish Red and White setter whom I returned to the breeder when I had to move.  She was adopted by a couple in Cleveland, OH.

TwylaOutside.JPG

Ch. Caniscaeli Twilight Time (Twyla)

• Original Poster
  • These days one should always consider a rescue if you just want a pet.  There are thousands of good dogs being put down every day and by some pretty brutal means, when they don't find adoptive parents.  If dogs are man's best friend, why do we betray them so often?

If I want any sort of goal to be accomplished by this thread (aside from seeing some adorable pets) is what you said right there. Pet stores often source their animals from puppy mills and other atrocious means. Adopt first.

The only pet store I know of that did not source from "the pool" a.k.a. puppy mills was a breeder who kept a pet shop in Markham, Ontario.  She bred Great Danes and would source other breeds from other kennels.  Mostly, she was into pet supplies.  Her Danes were the gray to fawn types.  I prefer the Harlequins.

Puppy mills exist because there is nothing to stop them in most places.  The USASPCA tries, but often the legislation is such that it is impossible to shut these creeps down for very long.  Pet shop dogs are often genetically damaged and unfit.  You could hardly call them dogs at all.

I'm on my son's IPad at the moment, and haven't got any pics available, I will upload some when I can get on my PC. I have 2 Staffordshire Bull Terriers. Rocky is 7 years old and is a lovely Red colour, while Livingstone is 6 years old and is Brindle and White. Staffies get a bit of a bad press here in the UK, but my 2 dogs are very friendly, but can both be slightly headstrong.

This is Sylvia Joy or the Great Mugs as we call her.  We got her in November of 2010 on the anniversary of my mom's birthday.  The shelter had already named her Sylvia and we gve her the name Joy in honor of my mother.  She is terrified of other cats, dogs and most people but she is a delight to us and keeps us laughing with her antics.  You never know the happiness you will get by adopting a scared, older cat!  We love it!

smile.jpg

Great idea for a thread :thumb:  and hopefully people will heed your advice about adopting rescue animals.

m84e.jpg

This is a pic of Molly. We got her from a rescue centre when she was a little pup, and she lived to the ripe old age of 19. We had to let her go to sleep about two years ago, and I still miss her every day.

40453507.jpg

This is Jack Black. We adopted him from a lady that lives on our street when her cat had kittens. He's just about 6 months old now, and apart from being a handsome young chap, he's also a little rascal   :lol:

Cute young cat, and very haughty too.  Looks like a really fun pussy. 

My wife loved cats, and when she passed we had three: a Himmy and two Persians.  I couldn't handle three cats and two dogs, so I adopted the cats out using the pet rescue service here.  Got to vet the new families.

Lovely.  I had a cat like that we rescued years ago named Nemo.  Totally black, with only a small white blaze on his chest.  Eventually we had to put him down because he became seriously diabetic.

Here is our 9 year old Aussie Shepherd Ruthie [not my idea for a name, mine would have been Bandit]. 

cimg0018dm.jpg

The old man trying to get her to look at the camera and as you can see, she's being a 'you know what' about it.

cimg0019p.jpg

Getting scolded by me for constantly barking at my son every time he came over for a visit and him laughing because it's not directed at him.

cimg0007b.jpg

The dog giving me some lip service....

cimg0008rm.jpg

My mother-in-law bought her from a breeder who breeds Aussie Shepherds when she was just a fat, pot-bellied 8-week old pup.  Only female in a littler of eight pups and she was the dominate one of the bunch.  She still thinks she's boss and has constant rude awakenings when we won't do what she wants us to do.  She loves chasing squirrels, chipmunks, turkeys and deer.  We had to get rid of our two cats because she just would not leave them alone and they started pissing all over the place.  One of the cats went to live on a farm and the other, a skittish male Burmese was given to an old lady whom he attached himself to right away.  We won't be able to get another pet until she is gone and then I plan on getting a kitten and pup.

Of course you know Schulmania is full of kitties. Here's a pic of the youngest, Countess Katherine II [Katie]...

164230_10200501824260144_1030076998_n_zp

And for you cat folks, PM me a pic of your cat if you'd like for it to get a rich and powerful job in the Bureau of Feline Affairs.

My dabbled dachshund, Dee. We got him from PAWS Chicago last year. 

He lays in bed all day, and loves a good belly rub once in a while. Our personalities are nearly identical. 

image_zpsb369f113.jpeg

image-4_zps4c887e21.jpeg

image-5_zpsa0c60db6.jpeg

These days one should always consider a rescue if you just want a pet.  There are thousands of good dogs being put down every day and by some pretty brutal means, when they don't find adoptive parents.  If dogs are man's best friend, why do we betray them so often?

If I want any sort of goal to be accomplished by this thread (aside from seeing some adorable pets) is what you said right there. Pet stores often source their animals from puppy mills and other atrocious means. Adopt first.

Being an animal lover, I wish I could +1 this a thousand times. My family has four pets: two dogs and two cats. This is Polar, our Pomeranian, getting into mischief with his brand new toy, very proud of himself:

polar1i.jpg

Peyton, a Pomeranian-Chihuahua mix:

img0188cx.jpg

Percival, our lazy cat:

lostdog002.jpg

And Tsunami, our lazier cat:

lostdog003.jpg

Cute.  My late wife was partial to pure bred cats and I to dogs.  I'd say the best cats we ever had were rescues.  Our one rescue dog had a genetic problem and we had to put him down.  Pure bred pets are now getting out of reach financially, so rescue is truly the best means.

When my wife passed away, I used Pet Rescue to adopt out our three pure bred cats: Two Persians and a Himmy.  I was able to keep our two dogs until I downsized into this tiny apartment, when I returned them to the breeder who placed them immediately.