Sign in to follow this  
Winterface

Simcity2013 Release Date pushed back til March

24 posts in this topic Last Reply

Saw this on the Facebook page, looks like the due date got pushed back to March.

"Did you hear the news, Mayors? SimCity hits retail and online stores March 5, 2013 in North America. Got your copy yet?"

IMO, it's by far too early to speculate about periods of time as short as several days when we're still months away from a release date - be it planned or postponed.

So much can happen during the remaining development time... at this stage, any date that makes its way through the community now may be old news not too long after. I wouldn't worry about any halfways precise release date yet at all.

IMO, it's by far too early to speculate about periods of time as short as several days when we're still months away from a release date - be it planned or postponed.

So much can happen during the remaining development time... at this stage, any date that makes its way through the community now may be old news not too long after. I wouldn't worry about any halfways precise release date yet at all.

This. I am personally waiting until I have seen the game in Beta before I consider the game release date valid.

Lets hope this isn't a recurring theme, I'd hate to see this turn into Duke Nukem Sim city edition.

That being said it is probably just so they can market it better, this isn't uncommon and it is only a month.

It's only a 2-3 weeks delay, not so serious to reconsider stuff. It's no problem at all, after all, we were the ones demanding a well polished game and complained for rushed releases of previous EA Titles. (At least that's what the general community said :\)

It's only a 5 day delay actually! They never said when in February it would be released. I don't get why people are over-reacting (especially in the FB comments). I don't really consider this a delay at all. March is just the end of February...

And it may yet be released in Europe on February 28 or something.

Edited by mapboy  

According to the latest article on wired, they are in shipping mode at maxis and only polishing from now on so dont expect and major changes by march.

" We're in ship-mode, so everyone is cranking, fixing bugs and finishing the game," explains SimCity's Creative Director, Ocean Quigley. "

However there is hope for future improvments after release.

" Once we ship, we'll go back into brainstorming mode. There are lots of ideas percolating just below the surface."

Subways are below the surface . just saying :)

Edited by grugor  

This was a quote from the article where wired.co.uk took a tour of Maxis studio. Ocean Quigley said ""We're in ship-mode, so everyone is cranking, fixing bugs and finishing the game," explains SimCity's Creative Director, Ocean Quigley. "Actually shipping a game as complex as SimCity takes a whole lot of prolonged, focused effort. Earlier in the project things were much more freewheeling and improvisational -- we'd try out new ideas and new approaches to see what worked, but we're done with that stage, and now we have to bring it all to completion."

I took this to mean that they are done with putting in new features and are now bug-fixing and improving aesthetics. This quote appears to also be in agreement with what some of you have mentioned above that the new release date was probably pushed back a few days rather than a month. I wonder if this also means that beta would be launch soon.

US release: March 5

Europe Release: March 8 (according to their official Twitter post)

*Norway: March 7. (EA launch on Thursdays here)

Edited by Frode789