• Haljackey
    Haljackey

SimCity 4 Network Addon Mod maker warns against buying the game from Origin

SimCity 4 Network Addon Mod maker warns against buying the game from Origin

Andy Chalk at 16:30 on 25 August 2014

SimCity 4 is more than ten years old, but given the relative dearth of SimCity games since it came out, it remains a popular way for fans of the franchise to get their fix. But the maker of the Network Addon Mod says gamers should be careful about where they buy it: The version of the game being offered by Origin is the unpatched retail release, and because of changes to its copy protection it cannot be updated, nor can it take full advantage of custom content and mods.

As explained on the SimCity 4 site SimTarkus, the Network Addon Mod (NAM) requires a minimum of SimCity 4 version 1.1.638, the version that results from applying the EP1 Update 1 to the retail version of the game. But the a href="https://www.origin.com/en-ca/store/buy/56334/pc-download/base-game/deluxe-edition">Origin is not capable of being updated because it modified the unpatched version of the game, 1.1.610, to replace the SafeDisc copy protection with Origin's online DRM.

"This modification, however, changes the checksum of the executable, just as the NoCD hacks did, which not only causes it to be rejected by the NAM installer, it also prevents the EP1 Update 1 patch and the BAT Nightlight patch from being installed, as well as the official first-party content creation tools, like the Lot Editor and the Building Architect Tool (BAT). In effect, this forces the user to remain at Version 1.1.610, deprived not only of the full function of the wide array of custom content available for the game, but of basic fixes to the game that have been available for 10 years," NAM developer Tarkus wrote. "Origin’s digital version of SimCity 4 Deluxe is not just unpatched, it’s unpatchable."

Tarkus also linked to a from earlier this month in which an EA support rep acknowledged the limitations of the Origin version of the game, but insisted that it's behaving as it's supposed to.

"The game that you bought from us is working as intended and it is not broken," the rep explained. "The reason why mods are not working on your copy is because we do not support mods for the title. And we do not support the upgrades that you want to do in game."

There is, of course, a world of difference between "we do not support" and "we do not allow," especially since virtually every other digital distributor offers a version of the game that does support mods. So while it may be working as EA intends, the bottom line is obvious: If you want to buy SimCity 4, you're probably better off buying it somewhere else. (Today, by the way, that "somewhere else" should probably be GOG: It's on sale for $8 until 11:59 pm on August 25.)

User Feedback

Great share Hal, the word needs to get out.  +1

Disclaimer: the NAM Team is not liable for the flaming comments about EA that may appear below.

Share this comment

Well, that sounds stupid. Uploading an unpatched game to Origin and altering it with Digital Restriction Management (DRM) such that the patches can no longer be applied... and the patches have been available and in their hands for almost ten years! It's not like there's a fast evolution they failed to follow closely. Unbelievable...

Thank you for alerting people!

Share this comment

If anyone has purchased the game from Origin very recently you can get a refund from EA. I think you have about 7 days to get a refund. So if you are reading the NAM post all is not lost. Get a refund and buy elsewhere.

Share this comment

Buy it from GOG you get the full game, drm free fully patched already only issue with the GOG version atm is when changing resolution it doesn't change sometimes.

This is easily remedied by editing the sc4.exe target switch. Right clicking the exe -> properties -> shortcut and in target put something like: "C:\GOG Games\SimCity 4 Deluxe Edition\Apps\SimCity 4.exe" -CPUCount:1 -CustomResolution:enabled -r1280x768x32 -w -d:DirectX -Cursors:fullcolor -Intro:off -gp .

The only thing added is everything after the SimCity4.exe".This is just an example of course, you can set resolution to what you wish

You can do this pain free by just using one of the sc4 launchers located here on simtropolis as well.

or

Both work properly as they do with the retail and steam versions and are no muss no fuss. Personally I recommend the GoG version over the steam version because its drm free,but the steam version is just as good if you do not mind using steam.Not if after dl you NEED to be logged into steam to play sc4deluxe though. There are some games that after you have them installed you can run their exe without being logged into steam.

Share this comment

Everyone except the current Origin operation is offering the 1,1,641 build version which must have come from Maxis Studio since only they have the materials to produce it.

EA is not responsible for this any more than the Mayor of a city is responsible for a beat cop beating up on a vagrant.  The fault is in Origin's management and technical side.  At one time they did offer the 1,1,641 version, then somebody had a brain storm.

EA should admonish them appropriately.  Origin has done nothing but tarnish the reputation of the senior company.

Share this comment

Everyone except the current Origin operation is offering the 1,1,641 build version which must have come from Maxis Studio since only they have the materials to produce it.

EA is not responsible for this any more than the Mayor of a city is responsible for a beat cop beating up on a vagrant.  The fault is in Origin's management and technical side.  At one time they did offer the 1,1,641 version, then somebody had a brain storm.

EA should admonish them appropriately.  Origin has done nothing but tarnish the reputation of the senior company.

Could give them the benefit of doubt, but I always do that.

The good news is that they are aware of the issue now, so we got that going for us, which is nice.

Share this comment

I have an Origin version of SC4 and so far I've never had any problems with any plugins including all iterations of NAM I've downloaded and installed in the past 3 years. The version of SC4 I got from Origin is 1.1.641.0

Share this comment

The only way I can make sense of Origin not including updates and allowing MODs is that perhaps they are trying to cut off the stream of loyal players to an old game. Forcing people to buy a newer game would put more money in their coffers.

EA probably sees SC4 with MODs as the game that wouldn't die and roll over out of the way. I suspect EA is more likely to roll over out of the way before SC4 does.

Just my thoughts, don't know what else to think of their controlling tactics.

Share this comment

I have an Origin version of SC4 and so far I've never had any problems with any plugins including all iterations of NAM I've downloaded and installed in the past 3 years. The version of SC4 I got from Origin is 1.1.641.0

When did you get it?  Also, if it was more recently, did you get it by giving them a CD key?  The reports I've seen suggest that a) Origin used to be selling 1.1.641, until sometime in the past few months, and b) they may still be giving 1.1.641 to people who give them a CD key, to link their disc copy with Origin.  People purchasing the game, however, have been getting 1.1.610.

Share this comment

When did you get it?  Also, if it was more recently, did you get it by giving them a CD key?  The reports I've seen suggest that a) Origin used to be selling 1.1.641, until sometime in the past few months, and b) they may still be giving 1.1.641 to people who give them a CD key, to link their disc copy with Origin.  People purchasing the game, however, have been getting 1.1.610.

I bought it 2 or 3 years ago. I didn't give them a CD key. I've downloaded it multiple times (3 or 4) when I've had to re-install. 5 Months ago I downloaded it (v1.1.641) from Origin and installed it on a newer computer.

Share this comment

The fact that you got it 2-3 years ago is why you have 1.1.641.  It's only in the past few months that users who purchased the game from Origin got the outdated 1.1.610.  The screenshots I've seen from users with Version 1.1.610 from Origin show a modification date in April 2014.

Share this comment

The fact that you got it 2-3 years ago is why you have 1.1.641.  It's only in the past few months that users who purchased the game from Origin got the outdated 1.1.610.  The screenshots I've seen from users with Version 1.1.610 from Origin show a modification date in April 2014.

Does EA's depravity know no bounds?

Share this comment

I'm getting a report from an Origin user that they logged in a little earlier today to find the service was downloading an update for SimCity 4, and that they were able to run the NAM installer without issue.  I'm awaiting a little further confirmation.

Share this comment

That might explain why I have issues with some mods on my laptop as I've downloaded the game recently. My desktop pc have no issues so far even though that's an origin version as well.

Share this comment

I just received word directly from an Origin community manager that they have indeed updated the game.  The whole thing was simply an oversight--It's now safe to buy from there again.

Share this comment

" The whole thing was simply an oversight "

Sorry friend but only to being very naive to believe it 

Would have been an oversight to be natively uploaded version 610 but that was not what happened. 

The corrected version was available and was replaced by the previous and the subject was constantly quoted in forums including EA 

So only now that the fact is news  finally they resolved  turn back ago. 

Congratulations for the initiative to make public and force the correction.

Share this comment