• Hellken
    Hellken

EA Admits It “Can Do Better” But Blames Worst Company Award On Homophobes And Whiny Madden Fans

REALITY CHECK

Actually, our analysis of the reasons for EA’s inclusion in last year’s finale makes no mention of Mass Effect 3 or SOPA. Instead, it looks at EA’s history of buying up smaller, successful developers with the intention of milking — and arguably ruining — the intellectual properties that made these acquired companies so attractive. It also discusses EA’s exclusivity deals on popular sports games, that some say effectively sets the bar for retail prices for the rest of the gaming industry.

Then there’s the issue of microtransactions, in-game purchases that EA has made no secret are at the center of its business model. Many customers believe that EA’s view of microtransactions isn’t to simply charge customers a little bit of money for something that is additional, but not integral, to the core game, but rather to put out broken or deliberately incomplete games with the ultimate goal of selling add-on content that should have been included in the $60 price tag to begin with.

In today’s post, Moore contends that microtransactions are okey-dokey because “tens of millions” of people are enjoying EA’s free-to-play games that include microtransactions. We’d counter that just because people are allowing you to nickel-and-dime them it doesn’t mean you should be doing it.

SHIFTING THE BLAME

Moore even admits that EA has made some pretty bad boners in recent years:

I’ll be the first to admit that we’ve made plenty of mistakes. These include server shut downs too early, games that didn’t meet expectations, missteps on new pricing models and most recently, severely fumbling the launch of SimCity. We owe gamers better performance than this.

As for more recent accusations, Moore tries to shrug off the always-online requirement for SimCity 5 that not only made the game unplayable (because EA didn’t have the foresight to think people might want to play the game after they bought it), but also pissed off a lot of people who felt that it was an invasive form of digital rights management (DRM) that assumes users are trying to play pirated versions of the game.

“Many continue to claim the Always-On function in SimCity is a DRM scheme,” writes Moore. “It’s not. People still want to argue about it. We can’t be any clearer – it’s not. Period.”

Actually, you could be clearer. Make it optional and maybe people will believe you.

And then there is this:

“We’ve seen mailing lists that direct people to vote for EA because they disagree with the choice of the cover athlete on Madden NFL,” writes Moore. “Yes, really.”

Really? Show us. Because while readers certainly complained about the declining quality of Madden, not a single person griped to us about the player(s) on the box cover.

Regardless, all of these concerns are apparently not the real reason that EA is once again heading toward a possible WCIA victory. No, says Moore, it’s homophobia.

Yes. Homophobia.

BLOWN OPPORTUNITY

In coming out and responding to its previous win — and possible repeat victory — EA had the opportunity to show the gaming community the respect it deserves, but instead has insulted its intelligence by asking it to accept that its quite obvious faults are really just minor problems and that the actual source of trouble are faceless, homophobic hatemongers.

A sampling of gamers’ reactions to Moore’s post indicate to us that EA has only done itself a disservice by trying to pin its own high-profile problems on homophobia and whiny gamers. These people are EA’s customers.

Writes Joystiq commenter paladriver:

I don’t dislike EA because they are pro-LGBT. In fact I am supporter of LGBT rights. I dislike EA because they have a long standing history of anti-consumer practices. Not liking EA does not make me anti-LGBT, it makes me anti-EA.

Read the rest here.

Sign in to follow this  
    Sign in to follow this  

User Feedback

Maybe EA should buy a few muzzles for their PR dogs and just get on with being a games manufacturer.  All this nacht und nebel is not going to win them any friends.

They've put their corporate foot in it by becoming too much of a corporate bottom line feeder and not a good quality producer.  They appear to have their hands in the customers pockets and don't care what else they do.

Share this comment

Someone commented on another article (jcdenton2013):

Let as all step to the side and have an intelligent conversation for a few moments regarding EA. Feel free to reply to rant. EA, we don't hate you just because of the ending of Mass Effect 3, or perhaps because of the botched launch of Sim City. We don't have you because you picked an athlete to grace your Madden cover that we disagreed with. We hate you for the following reasons...

1) Origin as a woefully inferior version of Steam. 2) Poor customer service on pretty much every game you sell. 3) DRM with no guarantees for any duration of server access, gloried $60 rentals. 4) Excessively bad egocentric anti-customer policies 4) Bad PR department which encourages number 4. 5) Your trashing of game studios that you purchased which just prior created great content. 6)  Possibly being a monopoly in the gaming community due to your exclusive rights to sports games. 7) Excessive use of DLC content to milk consumers for money. 8) Payment for online usage to certain games even after you pay for XBOX gold {double dealing}. 9) Bribing reviewers for good reviews to trick customers into buying content 10) Refusals to grant refunds on online purchases.. 11) Boycotting reviewers which give accurate but unfavorable reviews of products. 12) Refusing to acknowledge any faults on the company's behalf for anything mentioned already. 13) Hosting the absolutely worst agmin's for all of there online shooters. 14) Consistently over-priced DLC which was stripped away from existing games to make extra money 15) Over use of media outlets to justify bad company policies. 16) Rushing incomplete games to market without adequate play testing then requiring Origin to patch the games so that they actually work.

Lets see... did I miss anything important? :P

Share this comment

Maybe EA should buy a few muzzles for their PR dogs and just get on with being a games manufacturer.  All this nacht und nebel is not going to win them any friends.

They've put their corporate foot in it by becoming too much of a corporate bottom line feeder and not a good quality producer.  They appear to have their hands in the customers pockets and don't care what else they do.

I agree with you, Anonymoose. I'm getting a degree in public relations because it's something I'm passionate about. But there comes a time where a PR spin can harm you more than it can help you, and EA passed that mark a long time ago. People, especially EA's demographic, are wonderful bullcrap detectors.

In my opinion, the only way they can pull themselves out of this hole they're in is to just focus on making good games for a while. They've lost a lot of respect in the eyes of their customers, and words can't earn that back. Actions can.

Share this comment

"EA received hundreds of nominations from Consumerist readers this year, by far the most of any contender in the bracket, but not a single one mentioned anything about sexual orientation"

This is what I suspected when I read what Peter Moore wrote.

Admitting that they "would do better" was a great start... except that the rest of the article was plain denial and an insult to the gaming community.

Share this comment

No, EA, it's not "Homophobes" or "Whiny Madden Fans" that people hate you. Such notions are utterly ridiculous and pretty damn offensive, really. (And I say this as neither a "homophobe" or a "Whiny Madden Fan.")  The problem is you utterly IGNORE what the people who buy your games want.  For 10 years people have been saying what they'd like to see in the next SimCity game. You took these suggestions and utterly ignored every. Single. One. You produced a stripped-down game -you think a lesson would have been learned after "Societies"- that required an always-on connection.  That was the load of it. But in of itself not bad but then you completely botched the launch by using servers powered by geriatric gerbils on rusty running wheels.  You fail because you go for tossing any product out there to make a quick buck rather than doing your all to make the best game and best gaming experience possible.  I could talk about the problems in Madden as well, but I'll pass as this isn't the time or place.  But you need to learn and grow from your mistakes rather than blaming "homopobes" and "Whiny Madden Fans."  Instead, blame yourself because GAME fans are tired of your BS.

Share this comment

By continuing to berate and discredit their own consumers, EA hopes to scapegoat by and be recognized as a victim.

Banning individuals and silencing those whom complain on EA forums is typical business practice for companies' that wish to ignore truthful and merited arguments brought against their shady business practices. Alas, the only goal for EA is to profit.

American Industry witnessed this phenomenon during the Gilded Age when the working class demanded civil recognition, in a much more violent manor. However, it was the individuals fighting for humanitarian principles who claimed victory in the end.

Share this comment

let's face it EA are loosing it, next FIFA fans (aint one off em) will be dissapointed with the next one. $$$$$$$$ is the only thing they care about nothing else.

Share this comment

The problem is you utterly IGNORE what the people who buy your games want.  For 10 years people have been saying what they'd like to see in the next SimCity game. You took these suggestions and utterly ignored every. Single. One. You produced a stripped-down game -you think a lesson would have been learned after "Societies"- that required an always-on connection. 

I believe the situation is actually worse than this. Merely ignoring what the fanbase wants is one thing, acting exactly opposite to its desires while continuing insist it is not only listening but intergrating what the fans want is another. This kind of shabby dishonesty is not going to improve the image of EA or Maxis, because it leads to customers feeling insulted and cheated.

If your business model is great for the consumer and what the consumer desires, then be honest about it.

Share this comment

"And that's how I never bought another EA product or service again." Said Superbacon, as he drew his final breath on his death bed with his family gathered around him.

Share this comment

Heh, that crash-tinkle sound was the little plate of willingness and respect I had for Peter Moore to try and right EA's ship hitting the floor and breaking. Does anyone have a broom?

Share this comment

I'm not saying I agree with or support EA and their decisions... so don't get me wrong here when I say:

Consumerist is a crap source of information and can't be taken any more seriously than EA.

Look at their articles on the bottom. You really think this blog is written with any attempt for non-bias?

"EA Admits Its Own Stupidity, Will Give Away Free Games To People Who Bought SimCity"

"EA Trying Hard To Lose Customer Over A Few Bucks"

Share this comment

I'm not saying I agree with or support EA and their decisions... so don't get me wrong here when I say:

Consumerist is a crap source of information and can't be taken any more seriously than EA.

Well it seems that Mr. Peter More  does not share this opnion since it bothered to go public about it.

But surely EA has more to worry about such as the continued growth of Valve or the current reality of AGAWi

Good to note that  are even making partnerships that some time ago was maybe judged improbable,  as UBISOFT for example!

Share this comment

Well we all know the truth and it sure has blown up in their faces. The best way to make them listen is for everyone to stop buying their products, then and only then, will they either: A) Listen or B) file bankruptcy. Then we as a gaming community can be truly free of them.

Share this comment

I don't care whether or not the homophobes like you or not. let the politicians deal with them. You are a terrible company, and you should feel terrible.

But instead, you berate your customers and stick you fingers in their wallets. Someday, you're not going to be able to do so for much longer.

Share this comment

Look at their articles on the bottom. You really think this blog is written with any attempt for non-bias?

"EA Admits Its Own Stupidity, Will Give Away Free Games To People Who Bought SimCity"

"EA Trying Hard To Lose Customer Over A Few Bucks"

They are free to express their own opinions about EA. Besides, they are not making any of this up. If you read EA's blog (April 5 by Moore), it is full of things that are not true.

Share this comment

Here's a fact that bothers me......

People bought/downloaded an unplayable game for $60-$80 and are denied refunds even though not being able to play or the game being more of an alpha state is no fault of their own. Then EA boasts about how they sold 1. whatever million copies to give an impression that people are enjoying their game. They leave out the part where many, many of those sales represent people who want a refund and are NOT playing the game. This is shameless and not only ripping people off, but using the behavior to gain more victims of their unsatisfying service.

In my opinion it borders criminal charges material. But issues like this just gets ignored by EA. Where's the honor and integrity? You sold people something they are very unsatisfied with and feel you have the right to keep their money? I didn't buy SC13 but I feel bad for those who just wanted to have fun with a new game and instead lost most of a hundred dollars. Companies want rewards but do not want to provide the services that warrant them. So let them have the award they deserve.

Share this comment

If trying to make up a ridiculous claim isn't a clear sign they are backpeddaling (and they know it), I don't know what is..

Share this comment