• rybolton
    rybolton

An Open Letter to EA on SimCity: You Could Have Prevented This

Dear Electronic Arts,

My mother always told me that it's petty to say "I told you so" when

proven right. That's why I really hope she isn't reading this, because I have a message for you: I told you so.

But it's not just me; a big chunk of the gaming community feels the

same way. I don't want this to seem petty, but I genuinely want you to learn from your mistakes, so you don't repeat what's shaping up to be one of the most embarassing game launches in years.

So far, Amazon has 1,091 one-star user reviews for SimCity out of 1,213 reviews total (and I'm pretty sure several of the five-star reviews are being sarcastic). A Change.org petition has raised over 35,000 signatures in two days demanding that you offer a single-player, offline mode in SimCity and eschew always-on online for games. Polygon has revised its score of SimCity increasingly downward from 9.5 to 4. At PCMag, we even came up with seven SimCity alternatives for players who don't want to deal with server problems.

I don't want to gloat. I want you to understand why this happened, and how you can prevent it from happening in the future. When concerns are raised over "online features," listen to them. When people warn you months in advance that there will be server issues, listen to them. When gamers worry that they won't be able to play SimCity years from now (when every SimCity game from the Super Nintendo version to Simcity 4 remains playable and enjoyable), listen to them. Turn away from your paranoia regarding piracy and realize that there are tons of customers who want to give you money in exchange for being able to play a game. Appreciate the value of customer loyalty and developing a community instead of squeezing every last drop out of people and discarding them.

Sign in to follow this  
    Sign in to follow this  

User Feedback

I'm not ashamed to say "I told you so."

I've been saying it for a year and been treated like @@@@ by fanbois because of it.

But it's not about my personal satisfaction...I'm happy to see this happen to the game because, hopefully, it will finally sink in to some heads that you can't just do this with games.

Share this comment

At least no future games will mess up as badly. I'm sure all the gaming companies are watching this unfold in real time. Hopefully, in a few weeks we will all look back (while playing a working SimCity that doesn't have connection problems) and laugh about how horrible the launch was.

Share this comment

I honestly doubt the system they are attempting to use will go away. Not to say the system is ready to be used. I simply think the tech isnt there yet. The cloud concept is pretty damned young in its current iteration. Frankly Im surprised they attempted it after the CitiesXL debacle. The big different of course is there backed by a company like EA. Makes you wonder how they will iron things out over the next few months. 

Share this comment

EA is to large, arrogant and ignorant to take notice of this. But a good try. I really hate that company

Share this comment

So far, Amazon has 1,091 one-star user reviews for SimCity out of 1,213 reviews total (and I'm pretty sure several of the five-star reviews are being sarcastic). A Change.org petition has raised over 35,000

signatures in two days demanding that you offer a single-player,

offline mode in SimCity and eschew always-on online for games. Polygon

has revised its score of SimCity increasingly downward from 9.5 to 4. At PCMag, we even came up with seven SimCity alternatives for players who don't want to deal with server problems.

If that isn't a swift kick in their a$$ I don't know what is...

Share this comment

petitions.whitehouse.g­ov/petition/indict-electronic-­arts-consumer-fraud/Kv8ncfGt

Please sign the White House petition to have Electronic Arts indicted for consumer fraud!!!

Share this comment

This is so sad. I expected this this. But this wouldn't, shouldn't and couldn't have happened if EA listened. Once again, so sad. 

Share this comment

It is sad because the idiots who make these decisions won't learn the lessons that they should (ably pointed-out by many here long before launch and in this article).  Instead, the lesson will be that it was a mistake to do a city simulator and we'll be waiting 20 years instead of 10 for the next one.

Share this comment

It's not all about always online DRM. It is also about deleting user-friendly core features for the sake of higer control over the user-experienc and DLC (terraforming, modding, undo, reload old save, etc.). PR been horribly unhonest. Lastly, the game seems prematurely released as there are still various bugs within the game engine (weak traffic simulation, buggy agent simulation). An extended open beta and open and transparent communication with the loyal fan base could have prevented much of this disaster. EA really got it all wrong on this one!

Share this comment

it always seems my thoughts don't reflect at all what the consensuses is saying on these forums, but anyway I bought SimCity digital deluxe edition. I had all the same problems. my cities are private on the oceanic 1 server...Tonight I played without any problems...SimCity is different then sc4 you really have to think strategic....how do you want the city to grow and represent it self within the region. I have a whole region...I can devise my own great works all on my own...I love how crime effects other cities...that is real life...I like how out of work sims can't pay there mortgage and you see them homeless in the parks...dropping land value...the simulation is very intriguing...humans are frail...and frailty is something we can't break the mold of...but fixing the problem is something they seem to have done tonight....and that is all they can do...I don't believe in conspiracies concerning Maxis and EA...I have better more stimulating things to do with my brain...then degrade people when I make mistakes myself.

Share this comment

The only way EA will ever listen is if people stop buying there games. I havent purchased SC13 and i dont intend to.

Share this comment

It is sad because the idiots who make these decisions won't learn the lessons that they should (ably pointed-out by many here long before launch and in this article).  Instead, the lesson will be that it was a mistake to do a city simulator and we'll be waiting 20 years instead of 10 for the next one.

yup.  they're actually going to try to appease people by giving away free games than actually fix the problem.

Share this comment

Yah, that notice came out a few minutes after I posted here!

To be clear, I agree that there are some great new featuires and aspects to Glassbox SimCity.  Unfortunately too many core aspects were removed and/or crippled and/or mangled.  Add always online and you have a disaster that I will not be purchasing--first SimCity title since the very first that I will not own and I have been one of the keenest people waiting for the new one to come out. 

Sorry, it's just too dumded-down even though the new sim engine had the potential to upgrade SC4 in a magnificent way.  They couldn't leave well enough alone, so if I want to play The Sims, I'll buy it.  If I want SimCity, I'll stick to SC4, now even better with the latest NAM!

Share this comment