Sign in to follow this  
  • Entries
  • Comments
  • Views

About this City Journal

Enjoy the spirit, feel the city...Abbey-Upon-Tyne - your dream came true

Entries in this City Journal

iGod

After another long absence of me, a new entrey - hurray!

In this update we are looking at one of the oldest nuclear powerplants in the country, Abney Hall.

Build in the 1960's, it was the first nuclear reactor to provide energy on a commercial basis.

In these days however, especially with recent controversys about nuclear power, Abney Hall is under constant criticism from all sides, the operating company is considering reducing the plants output.

The powerplant is located near the small village of Winterfield and lies next to the sea and approximately 20 miles south west of Burton and 8 miles south of the NWA. It consits of 3 blocks (A,B & C), however, block C is undergoing a refurbishment and block A might be shut down in the coming years.

The village of Winterfield however, has suffered from the power plant, mainly poplulation wise. Most people simply do not want to live next to a power plant and the population of Winterfield is decreasing since many years. Soon, this might be a ghost town.

winterfield5jan07130687.jpg

Abney Hall, with blocks A, B & C (from left to right). The construction of a new cooling tower has just begun near block C.

winterfield17jan0713068.jpg

A close up of "central" Winterfield. It once used to be a town on the uprising of the entire euphoria of nuclear power during the 60's but now it is more of a shadow of itself. Being located right between and Airport and a power plant, it is only desirable for people who have not got the money to move away.

winterfield10jan0713068.jpg

The only nice thing here is the pebble beach opposite the town hall.

winterfield21jan0713068.jpg

An overview of Winterfield and Abney Hall.

And now we move on, just a few miles north of Winterfield and about 10 miles west of Burton is the town of Berkley and the North West Airport (NWA).

NWA is the 10th busiest Airport in the country with around 6 million passengers in 2010 and the 2nd biggest airport in the county, after Abbey-Upon-Tyne International.

It is located directly on the coast and just a stone throw away from the small town of Berkley.

Berkley itself is a town with a long history of being a farming and fishing town. However, in 1966, the county decided that a new airport was needed to connect the growing city of Burton on a international level. A new motorway alongside with railway tracks were build along the coast and into Burton. However, this had positive as well as negative impacts on many small seaside towns, such as Berkley. The town itself has no direct connection to the sea anymore, however, it is very well connected to the rest of the county and the nation as a whole with about a train leaving every 10 minutes from the Berkley Station.

berkleynwa28dez02130687.jpg

The town of Berkley with Terminal 2 in the backround. Due to the landscape, there was no possibility to have a trainstation at the terminal. The only way to get to the airport is by using a shuttle bus from the Station to each of the terminals.

berkleynwa18jan03130687.jpg

Terminal 2, build in the 1990's for international and bigger planes.

berkleynwa21jan03130687.jpg

The old Terminal 1, now mainly used for regional and flights into the bordering countrys.

berkleynwa4feb031306879in.jpg

A AirFrance machine waiting for takeoff at the Taxi whilst a BA flight from Berlin is just landing.

berkleynwa23jan03130687.jpg

The name NWA simply comes from being the far North-Western airport in the country. In this picture, you can see that the town is, due to the railway, the motorway and the airpot, cut off from the sea.

Comments and ratings are, as per usual, welcome and appreciated.

NYCisbig: Thank you for your comment.

TekindusT: Thank you too, it is always good to hear from you. RL really takes its toll at the moment, my CJ updates will sadly become more and more sporadic I think...

armpit43: Nah, it isn't that Crewe, I just took the name.

iGod

Crewe

In this update we will have a look at Crewe.

The town is laid in a rather boring part of the region. Located at the foothills of the Reddish Hills, it is mainly sourrunded by farms and forests. Except for the occasional group of tourist who would visit the village and the location just west of Upminster and the Abbey-Upon-Tyne International Airport nothing seemed to happen in this town. That is until recently, rather than just being happy the way the town evolved (around 2% unemployment and nearly 0% crime) the majors decided to take a drastic step.

Realising that the location near the airport and the M24 South as well as the location in the middle between Burton & Abbey-Upon-Tyne perfect for developing the town further, the city officials soon began to work out a plan to drive the city to economic succes.

Unlike other villages, Crewe soon began to lower corporate taxes dramatically and a number of firms start to settle there.

These days, Crewe also gets called "The European Silicon Valley" because of the number of High-Tech firms which settled here or opened up branches and European headquaters of overseas companys here.

The negative is obviously that the town lost a hughe amount of it's charm. Glass highrises are competing with the single storey shops in the old town centre. Also, by nightfall, the town is virtually dead since most of the workers commute from Abbey-Upon-Tyne, Burton or the surrounding villages such as Blackley and Ardwick.

The village now gives home to a rough 18.000 inhabitants and is divided into 2 boroughs: Crewe & Anchorage. It also has it's own football team: Crewe United Football Club and 2 rugby teams, Crewe Rugby Union FC & North Tyne Rugby League FC.

crewe23dez201295999047.png

The trainstation and Crewe Church in the old city centre.

crewe26jan211295999324.png

A broad overview of Crewe. At the, so to speak, end of the town you can see the Bronston TowersRylers Project, 2 housing projects build during the 60's & 70's. The majority of inhabitants in Crewe is very middle class though. Cuttin right through the town is the A56 - a dual carriageway that connects Abbey-Upon-Tyne with Burton. An important road, especially if the M24 is clocked up again.

crewe28feb211295999611.png

A night shot of Crewe, facing the west and looking upon Crewe Comprehensive and Bulls Head Park.

crewe7jan211295999160.png

These are all the new, and some old buildings located right next to the historic core of the town. Many people say that these buildings just seem out of place in such a small town, but the council is the opinion that - if they generate money - they are fine. The 2 towers in the middle are the newest addition; the dark one being the European Headquaters of a well known american software company whereas the white highrise houses a quite big german insurance company. You can also see a branche of IBM as well as Chase Banking.

crewe9jul181295998673.png

A nightshot of the same buildings. Since in the 2000's, the companys try to make the buidlings beeing more representative, but most corporations sticked with the normal attitude towards their buildings as the cluster of office buildings on the right shows. In the backround you can see Bulls Head Park.

crewe16feb211295999515.png

This is the japanese pavillion and a WWII statue in Bulls Head Park. This park was laid out when the first midrises were errected to have a sort of green part in the village centre that would give employees and residents the benefit of having a border between the residential area and the high rises that would not disturb the peace of the town and where they can all go to relax.

crewe20jan211295999270.png

An overview of Anchorage, including the Crewe Centre, a shopping centre (only 30 minute drive from Abbey-Upon-Tyne: Take the exit Upminster at the M24 and follow the A56 towards Fieldhouse!) and the stadium for Crewe United FC and the rugby clubs, the Greyham Forest Stadium.

crewe2jan211295999102.png

Since for most residents of Anchorage the actuall town centre is to far away, they prefer Gibbet Street, a shopping street located near the Greyham Forest Stadium.

crewe31jan211295999374.png

In the Greyham Forests, and towering all over the village is KBL1567, the 3rd tallest building in the country and the highest communication tower in the country.

crewe5feb211295999433.png

Just a shot from the countryside. Along the A254, which goes through the Wilbrahem Valley, the Crewe Cloister is located.

crewe4apr211295999852.png

And here is an overview showing the entire town.

blakeway: Thanks a lot.

k50dude: Thanks. It just seems that features which are purely eycandy, such as golf courses, get quite often neglected in city building, so I tried to change that.

tigeria: Thanks man.

finlay: Glad you found it. It is a really good website and has some quite good stuff on it.

n_wilson: Thanks as well!

iGod

Glennkill & Hammersmith

Welcome to "Glennkill & Hammersmith". Two suburbs outside the city limits of "Burton". Whereas "Glennkill" used to be a small village, "Hammersmith" was created during the 70's. "Glennkill" is just a small medium sized village with around 14.000 inhabitants and "Hammersmith" counts around 6.000. The village is also home to the "Royal Saltworth Park Golf Club".

"Glennkill" was founded in 1850 as a religious community outside the "City of Burton". With the industrial revolution the industry began to expand outside the boundaries of "Burton" and into the village of "Glennkill". After that the village began to grow until it reached todays size. To provided room for the evergrowing population of "Burton", the city council soon began to errect highrises and council estates near "Glennkill". The position along the M24 and the "North East-West Mainline" did help the town to develope fast. During the 1970's, along with "Hammersmith", the "City Council of Burton" also decided to extend the "Burton Underground" until "Glennkill". All these factors helped  to make "Glennkill & Hammersmith" the community & town it is now.

glennkillhammersmith22a.png

A broad overview of the main city core. "Glennkill" can be seen to the right and stretches past the motoway. Pretty much all the buildings left of the church resemble "Hammersmith".

glennkillhammersmith15f.png

The town centre of "Glennkill" at night. Not much has changed in the core of the village since the 19th century. Most buildings along the main road are still in the original state.

glennkillhammersmith22f.png

The industrial area around the old classification yard. There used to be massive cotton mill here, long time ago, but now the hightech industry took over.

glennkillhammersmith5ap.png

The westside of "Glennkill". You can also see parts of the gold club here. This area is a little bit more wealthy than the rest of the town.

glennkillhammersmith10m.png

"Hammersmith" and the "Hammersmith Station", of the Underground Line 6 coming out of "Burton".

glennkillhammersmith27m.png

And here is the overview of the town with the M24 and the "North East-West Mainline".

TekindusT: Thank you mate and ye, it's good to be back. The Abbey can be found here: http://www.simtropolis.com/stex/details.cfm?id=23450

k50dude: Thanks for your comment as well. I see that TekindusT answered your question already but here again: http://www.simtropolis.com/stex/details.cfm?id=2676

Simsamerica: Lol, go for it! And thanks for your comment. Glad that you like it.

kolnikov inc: Thanks for your comment but I disagree. In the UK, especially in the north Elevated heavy rail can be seen in a lot of citys, most notably Manchester & Leeds.

CTMandR: Thanks for your comment.

ImVhOzzi: Thanks mate - especially for the word play ;)

Schulmanator: Thanks for commenting.

Other entries:

finlay: Hey mate, thanks for your comment. I found it on some Japanese city and I will PM you the link once I found it again.

iGod

Burton II

We still stay in "Burton". But this time around we will have a look towards the western end of the city. Due to the 1972 Olympic Games hosted by "Burton", the city experienced a sudden growth. Businesses who were formerly unaware of the city wanted to come to get their share of the cake. And with the businesses came the people who needed living space. What we can see now is the methamorphose of a former industrial & railway town to a bustling city. Today is just a broad overview of the development the city took during the past years.

burton2dez1231281472012.png

After the olympic games, the city decided to build a convention centre for the industry & businesses. The "BICC (Burton International Convention Centre)" is build at the old railway maintenance yard. Here, they also did build the first TV-Tower for "Burton". it is now mainly used for radio stations & as a tourist attraction.

burton15jul124128147236.png

The Stadium of the "Burton Football Club" in "Whitington Park". The park is a great are for the people of the surrounding boroughs to realx as well as for tourists to visit the highest building in "Burton", the new TV-Tower ("Aurora Tower") build in the 80's. This picture also gives us the possibility to follow the M24 South. It passes "Whithington Park" and continues towards the west, underneath the railway and connects "Burton" with some of it's suburbs and the south of the country.

burton25jul124128147241.png

"Whitington Park" from another angle. The M24 south heads to the right while going southbound (upwards) at the "Crumpsall Intersection", you will end up at the A35. On the left of the M24 is the borough of "Crumpsall". A poorer neighbourhood with council estates and high unemployment rates.

burton19mai123128146958.png

Heading on the M24 towards "Burton", you are bound to end up at "Camille-Jones-Square". A bottleneck in terms of traffic which is now beeing renewed. The idea is to build a sort of underground motorway intersection which is supposed to let the traffic flow without any traffic lights. Also, the space created could be used to create a park for the people in this borough. In addition, 2 new office towers and a park are beeing build to raise living quality in this borough which really struggles with the amount of traffic coming through here every day.

burton25jan123128146919.png

"Burton Victoria Station", one of the 2 main stations in the city. Just off "Victoria Square" and "St. Peters Church", this station is one of the architectural highlights of the city. Beeing build over 50 years, constantly renewed and changed it now is finally finished. 10 platforms, located on 4 levels and trains leaving at least every 3 minutes. Outside, the statue of "General Prestwich" welcomes the cities guests.

burton31jul123128147163.png Just of "Victoria Station" is the "Burton Metropolitan University" located, formerly known as "Burton Polytechnic". The university is located on both sides of the "Kearsley Avenue". On the right, the oldest building: "Swinton Building", once a museum and now the main teaching facility. On the left, the newest of the 2 buildings: "Eastwall Building". The halls of the students are, unliek the ones of the "University of Burton" located all over the city and not on one campus.

burton9jul1231281470176.png

An image which was actually supposed to be included in the last update. "Baron Cross", the big railway junction in the east of "Burton". At the bottom you can see parts of "Picadilly Station", the largest station in the city.

burton18aug124128147251.png

A nightime picture of the two suburbs next to the M24. On the left "Newton Heath" with the ruins of "Worsley Abbey" and on the right "Wythenshaw".

burton31aug124128147258.png

And last, but not least, a overview of the city centre at night.

dudkis: Thank you very much for your comment. I think I might have accomplished my goal now ;)

JGellock: Thank you as well.

k50dude: Thanks mate.

TekindusT: Cheers for that. I must confess that it is also one of my favorite pictures.

YorkshireLlama: Well, it is all about West Yorkshire. But ye, I know what you mean. I tried to create, again, a british city but I really wanted to be a bit more continental this time. Especially with W2W buidlings since they seem to fit more. Sadly, most of the W2W buildings on the STEX or other fanpages are German, French or Eastern european. Thank you for your comment - and I tried to work on the council estates.

Jamondread: Thank you!

Cisco2: Ah, I wondered if someone would realise. Even though trying to create realistic cities I also try to creat functioning citys. This means that, in order to grow, I need to place an airport in every city which somehow seem to really attract wealthy sims. It is very strange... Thanks for commenting.

iGod

Burton

Ok, after a long and intense holiday, I came back to re-build the "City of Burton" again. I did choose another layout than intended and another building style. Still based on any UK city, it now has some strong continental-european influences - but not porkissimo even though his bat's are amazing. So, let's see how the city developed so far...

burton3jan811276552311.png

One of the many middleclass suburbs in "Burton", "Bombay Green". Due to it's number of schools and the "St. James Hospital" being located here, this suburb is very attractive to any inhabitant of "Burton"

burton4mai841276553975.png

The "M97" cutts right through the suburb of "Arlington". Next to the "Burton City Airport", the main power lines from the "Burton Nuclear Power Plant" are deliviring power to the city.

burton10aug831276553378.png

The southern end of "Arlington" with the overground & underground stations.

burton12apr841276553853.png

"Briarfields", once a complex of buildings beeing build for the athlets of the '72 Olympic games hosted by "Burton" is now one of the cities crime hot-spots. Located near the industrial estates, it soon became more of a working class area after the Olympic Games finished.

burton14jan811276552373.png

"Bishops Square", the most central place in "Burton", the "Burton Cathedral" is located. This cathedral marks the point when Burton went from a village to a city. it is a beautifuls sight at day & nighttime. The highrises beeing build here were only erected during the 1980's & 90's. For the "Burtonians" it was a strugle at first, seeing their city getting 'destroyed' by these new buildings but soon they came to love them and they are now a part of the skyline no one wants to miss.

burton21apr841276553901.png

This is the main shopping area, "Marple Road". It is no coincidence that "Burton" is also refered to as "the city of a houndred churches". In this picture you can see two; "St. Julian", located right on "Marple Road" and "Ladbroke Church", located in "Willsden" on the right. In this picture you can also see the first highrise ever beeing build in Burton, the "City Tower". Once the highest building in the city with a 107 metres, but now just small compared to the new highrises being build just west of it in "Ladgrove".

TekindusT: Thank you for your comment mate, I tried to create some sort of a 'real' heavy industry harbour.

ImVhOzzi: Thank's for your comment.

iGod

Kircaldy

Well, sadly enough the file for "Burton" got corrupted so until I rebuild/build the city again, I'll show you some more rural scenes of "Tyneside".

If you want to go north from "Abbey-Upon-Tyne", you might take the M7 eastbound through the village of "Kircaldy" before it turns north. "Kircaldy" is a small town located where the river "Tyne" meets the Sea. The main industry of the town are the big shipyards. But the majority of people who live here work in "Abbey-Upon-Tyne" which is just a 30 minute train journey or around 40 minutes by car. If you take the car or train to "North Kircaldy", you can have a drive over the longest bridge in the country. So let's check it out then:

blub1.jpg

Here is a little Map of "Tyneside", showing the majority of the developed areas.

kircaldy7jul28127542524.png

A overviw of "Kircaldy". Here you can see the two largest bridges in the country, both crossing the river "Tyne". "Sedbergh Bridge" is the Motorway bridge build in 1987. "Kendal Bridge" is the railway bridge which was build in 1954.

kircaldy24mai2812754248.png

Here are the shipyards at the riverside. Some of the biggest ships which are now on the sea have been build here.

kircaldy26jun2812754249.png

A close up of southern "Kircaldy". The beaches here are all rocky and not sandy.

Paulobergonci: Thank you for your comment. Ye, I really like them trees to - they simply look better than the Maxis one.

TekindusT: Thank you for you comment too. I really like building such districts because they can crop up in every city and just look kinda real.

www.simtropolis.com/stex/details.cfm - NDEX ITS Portsmouth Tower Block Set1 - ill tonkso

www.simtropolis.com/stex/details.cfm - NDEX ITS Portsmouth Tower Block Set2 - ill tonkso

Jamonbread: Thanks mate. Ye, night shots are cool but even now I still find some bats in my citys which don't have nightlighting and can destroy the entire picture. But I will see on your CJ how you get on with them night shots.

Patricius Maximus: Thanks foor your comment

Retep Molinari: Love this comment.

JGellock: Thank you for your comment. The trainskin can be found here:

kurier.simcityplaza.de/details.php - SFBT Regionalbahn - Kenworth (the installer should be in english as well)

dudkis: Thanks for your comment 

iGod

In this little Teaser I will show you the "City of Burton". 400.000 inhabitants in the city limits and around 1,2million in the greater area. It is the 2nd biggest City in "Tyneside" and 4th largest in the country. The city itself is a major transport hub. Here, the "M24 South" meets the "M3 West" as well as the "M98 South East". It is also a major railway hub due to many railway lines passing through the city. So let's take a look at some of the teaser pics:

burton9mai1171274570266.png

One of the suburbs of "Blackley". "Alton" with the "Alton East Park", a park where the sims can participate in any kind of sport and many school in the area carry out their training sessions for the Football & Rugby Teams.

burton19jun117127457045.png

"Farrington Industrial Estate", the oldest and biggest industrial area in "Burton". Also showing some of the different kinds of mass transport existing in "Burton". Unlike "Abbey-Upon-Tyne", this city is mainly industry than a commercial producer.

burton30apr117127457019.png

"Bishops Square", on of the main squares in the city. Besides on of the many churches, you can also see the National Library and the city hall here.

burton30mai117127457037.png

"Brookland Estates" right next to the "M97", a motorway which only connects the centre of "Burton" with the north of the city.

Comments and ratings are, as per usual, welcome and appreciated. The city is still in development, so any ideas on what to do better are appreciated!

Jamonbread: Thank you for your comment. I know what you mean, looking closer they do look a bit artificial and pointy. But then, they are supposed to be some sort of small rock islands, so you won't find a lot of details on these I suppose?

Blakeway: Thanks for your comment mate. Glad you like it.

kingdiz_55: I didn't knew about them power poles. I know about the wood ones but then I always do get the black holes when I use them. Thank you though for the hint. I will see how they work with my CJ!

eufl: Thank you mate. I am glad you like it and would like to read more comments of you!

CHR: Thank you for your comment as well. But I disagre with your. Yes, they are repetitive but my CJ is very UK influenced and if you have ever seen a UK suburb or town, that is what they look like. If proof needed: Manchester - Fallowfield, and yes - this road carries on for a few miles:

fallowfield.jpg

iGod

In todays update we going to have a look at "Eastwall" and the "University of Eastwall" which is commonly refered to as "Eastwall University" or just "Eastwall". The town was a small fishing & farming community outside "Abbey-Upon-Tyne" and next to the sea.

It is rather unsure to date when the University was founded but early records suggest that it was founded 1403 by scholars leaving the "Royal St. George University of Abbey-Upon-Tyne" after a dipute with townsfolk.

Since then, the "University of Eastwall" has gained international success and it is now ranked under the 5 top Universitys in the world and contends with the "Royal St. George University of Abbey-Upon-Tyne" for first place in the countrys league tables. It is a rather small University with only 6000 students but has a reputation as one of the leading research Universitys worldwide.

The town of "Eastwall" benefits from the University by the tourists which visit the place each year and also the people who want to live in such a famous town.

Currently, "Eastwall" has around 20.000 inhabitants, of which 6000 are students.

Let's take a look then:

eastwall28jul2712739567.png

A basic overview of "Eastwall" with the majority of the University buildings. The University is the geographical midpoint of the town and all parks are open to the public as well as the students. "St. Andrews Church" dominates the skyline of the town.

eastwall17aug2712739570.png

"King's College" on the left is the main & largest building of the University. The faculties for Humanities & Social Sciences are located here. On the right, we can see "Oxbride College", home to the faculties of Clinical Medicine and the "Clare Library", one of the 2 main librarys. Also "Broomhurst", "Canterbury" & "Tyneside" Halls are located on the "Oxbride College" grounds.

eastwall1okt27127395750.png

On the right, we see "Edwards College" where the faculties for Technology & Sciences are located. "Caius Halls" are located directly behind it and are the oldest halls. At the top we can see the "Darwin Library", the other main library and the "Bodleian Hall". "Clayhurst Court" is the park in the middle which connects "King's College" with "Edwards College" & the "Darwin Library" and bla..

eastwall8aug27127395690.png

"Cavendish College", location of the facutly for Physical & Sports Sciences. The "Eastwall University" Rugby Union & Rugby League teams are two of the best University Rugby Teams in the country and the Cricket team is always placed under the top 3 each season. Only the football team is mainly mediocre but still plays in the Universitys League 1. The majority of students lives in "Newnham Halls", a complex out of 4 buildings

eastwall5sep27127395723.png

"St Catharines Park" and the beach located on the outskirts of "Eastwall"

eastwall12aug2712739570.png

The outskirts of "Eastwall" with some highrises. Most of the houses in this area are students houses. Even though they are called outskirts, "Eastwall" is small enough that it is all within walking distance. A walk from one end of the town to another takes no longer than 30 minutes.

eastwall27aug2712739571.pngThe old harbour. Not very active anymore but once one of the main fishing harbours in the area. But students and inhabitants of eastwall alik enjoy having a walk around here and the fresh and cheap seafoot they can get in the restaurants down here. Appearantly you can get the best Fish & Chips in the entire country here...

eastwall1sep27127395718.png

One of the main landmarks of "Eastwall" are the "Westminster Rocks". Once posed a threat to all ships traveling from "Abbey-Upon-Tyne" to the sea, they are now a very popular tourist destination and also nice to look at. Even a bird habitat was established here.

eastwall21sep2712739573.png

And last but not least, a overview of the entire town.

TekindusT: Thank you for your comment. Well, I can't deny that I got the inspiration from the Tube, and I can really understand what you mean. I might go down there this weekend, really looking forward to it.

ImVhOzzi: Thank you.

dudkis: It should be this one: www.simtropolis.com/stex/details.cfm - London Underground Sub Surface Station by mcdrye.

iGod

"This is an Overground Train bound for Eastwall Station. Calling at: Edgefield Station, Allerstone South Cross, Ladybank, Carling, Leuchars and Eastwall. Please mind the gap."

One of the typical announcements when taking the overground in "Abbey-Upon-Tyne". Since it is the biggest city in the county of "Tyneside", public transport soon became an issue. During the 1860's, the city started to experience a significant upturn in the number of people moving in the city. Most of them moved to the many suburbs within the city boundarys. This itself was not much of a problem but soon the streets just became jammed with all sorts of traffic. Most notably were these issues at Stretford Road, the main arterial road to the city centre and "Knightsbridge" & "Charlottebridge". During the early 1870's & 80's a new transport system was planned and build. It was mainly a tram network but it already reduced the amount of traffic significantly. With the rise of modern technologies such as electricity, underground railways could be build and soon were. The oldest part of the "Abbey-Upon-Tyne Underground System" is the stretch which connects "Knightsbridge" with "Bluestone" via "King Edward Station" and therefore providing an essential link through the city centre. The newest generation of trains ("1997 Stock") are silent, comfortable and fast. Most of these operate at the "Jubilee", "Bishop" & "Bethnal" lines. But taking the train at the "Southern" or "Allerstone" Line can be quite an adventure. There are still trains from the 1960's operating on these lines. During the past decades, the underground & tram system got extended massively as well as the integration of the old suburban trains into the system during the 1970's. The newest line being build was the "Jubilee" line which was opened in 1997 and was the first direct connection between the majority of underground line & the "Tyneside" line. It was one of the biggest construction works which have been taken place in "Abbey-Upon-Tyne" since the Tunnel which was build was to be construced under the "River Tyne". But now it shortened the time of travel from the city centre to "Fenchuch" from 45 minutes to only 10 minutes.

Let's have a look then:

S-Bahn11.png

This is the current map for the public transport in "Abbey-Upon-Tyne". The entire system, including overground, tram, underground & bus is run by "AUT - Transport" a company created during the 1960's to build one efficient organisation to run the system rather than the 6 different companys that each operated their own bus, tram (and sometimes as well) underground fleet until the 1960's. (PS: I don't know why but I somehow can not draw in photoshop ~ so I needed to use paint but it still looks alright I think.)

Sbahn22.png

As well as the "normal" transport map, there is also one showing al the connections possible from the mainline (The stretch of stations between "Edgefield" & "Cathedral".)

Abbey-Upon-Tyne-25Jan621273524272.png

"Lockerby Station". A typical commuter station with a bus depot, underground connection & a rather large parking lot. Besides the importance as a commuter station it is also important for the "BMW Factory" which is located on the right of the station. A lot of workers use this station to get to work everyday.

Abbey-Upon-Tyne-13Mai601273446665.png

Not as interesting maybe but here is is anyway. "Haymarket" which is located just behind the "Franciscan - Abbey". Due to the system being run by so many companys for so long, there are some quite obscure things about the stations, most notably that there are a number of stations which are located only a 1 minute walk from each other. Therefore, a number of stations needed to be shut and are now Ghost stations. They still do exist but the trains simply drive through them.

Abbey-Upon-Tyne-5Nov601273506935.png

The oldest underground station in "Abbey-Upon-Tyne". "Knightsbridge" is the name of the railway bridge. Here you can also see a overground train just approaching the bridge. In the park just right of "Knightsbrige Station" is another Ghost station, "Charlottebridge". The closeness to the other station made this underground stop simply unfeasible and it was therefore shut in 1972. Sadly enough, this is one of the two last sub-surface stations in "Abbey-Upon-Tyne".

Abbey-Upon-Tyne-8Feb621273529833.png

And the last station I'm showing you is the end of the "Bishop" & "Valhalla" lines, the station "Valhalla". In itselfs it is a rather unspectacular station but "Valhalla" is one of a few war memorials in "Abbey-Upon-Tyne". But it is by far one of the most impressive ones. The "Valhalla" is the "Monument to the Battle of the Nations " and was used to celebrate the war victory in 1913. But now it is to remind us of the fallen of all wars who may have reached their final destination and gained eternal peace in the hall of heros here in "Valhalla". A very popular tourist destination when visiting "Abbey-Upon-Tyne".

Jamonbread: Thank you first of all for your support throughout this CJ. I am happy that you like what I am building here and I must confess that I really like this picture too.

The Bluejay: Wow, thank you for your comment. Glad you seem to like it 2.gif

TekindusT: Thank you as well for your support. I don't know why but I have suddently this really strange urge to build railways everywhere in my entire city & region ~ as long as it pleases you guys.

CHR: Thanks for your comment. I try to create a as realistic railway as possible. It seems that it somehow works.

Retep Molinari: Thank you as well. I actually got the idea for this station from a RL one: "Berlin Ostkreuz".

dudkis: Thank you as well for your comment.

iGod

Allerstone

In todays update we will return to the city which started it all. Since our last visit here, the city has developed a lot. New boroughs were build and more and more people move to "Abbey-Upon-Tyne". "Allerstone" belongs to the kind of boroughs, everyone likes. Right in the heart of this borough just south of the city centre are many tourist attractions located. But this borough offers more to it's visitors, for example visiting the largest Islamic community in the country and plenty of parks & places to relax. Students and business people live next door to each other and if you look around, you might even see a famous person walking down "Bronstone Avenue" to go shopping.

If you are looking for a place to shop in "Abbey-Upon-Tyne", "Bronstone Avenue" is the place to go. Located in the heart of the borough "Allerstone" it can coquet with it's vast amount of high class stores like Gucci, Prada & Hugo Boss. But it is also a very historical & touristy area. Most notably are the "Bronstone Park" with the "City Castle" which is where the National Archieves are located & The "Everley Central & Memorial Cemetery". The area around the "Bronstone Gates" is famous for it's nightlife & club scene, but you may should avoid the streets around "Redfern Station" at night times. Other architectural highlights within "Allerstone" is the "Allerstone South Cross Station" (or just "Allerstone South") and the "Abbey-Upon-Tyne TV Tower", located next to the station.

Let's check it out then:

Abbey-Upon-Tyne-14Jan471272841558.png

The National Archieves & the "Bronstone Park", located just left of "Bronstone Avenue"

Abbey-Upon-Tyne-21Dez461272841352.png

The "Everley Central & Memorial Cemetery", just opposite the National Archieves (I'm not really good at mosaics...). In the middle you can see the mausoleum where the most famous inhabitants of the city are buried.

Abbey-Upon-Tyne-10Dez461272841293.png

The "Victory Column", the most central place in "Allerstone". According to the legend, this is the place where the former King "Edward XII." gained victory against the rebels of "Teutonia" in 1843 after a 2 year war and rough peace to the countries. His body is also burried in the mausoleum. The column itself was only build in 1878 to honour the king.

Abbey-Upon-Tyne-16Nov461272841177.png

The area around "Redfern Station". It is quite a nice place during daytime and in the evenings. But at nightime the place attracts junkies and most clubs here are notorious for being quite rough.

Abbey-Upon-Tyne-8Jan471272841495.png

Moving towards "Bronstone Gates" you will eventually pass the more expensive & famous clubs. The plaza itself is verya very popular meeting point for the youth of "Allerstone" & "Abbey-Upon-Tyne".

Abbey-Upon-Tyne-2Jan471272841431.png

The Tv-Tower, which is located near "Allerstone South Cross Station".

Abbey-Upon-Tyne-8Jun481272842851.png

"Allerstone South Cross Station" from another angle. Opend in 1880 (and since then having numerous renovations), it is now the most used public transport connecting station in "Abbey-Upon-Tyne" with around 140.000 passengers passing through this station daily.

Abbey-Upon-Tyne-8Mai481272842723.png

The "Allerstone Motor Works", a BMW Factory in the west of "Allerstone". The buildings on the right were actually build in the 70's to provide homes for the workers in the factory, but with the expansion of the industrial estate and the decline in living standards, most of the workers decided to move out of them buildings and find houses & flats elsewhere. Most of the flats in these buildings are now empty and the city is just deciding on what to do with these buildings and the land they are on.

Abbey-Upon-Tyne-2Jun271262811629.png

And just a random picture of some construction works. (This is actually really old but I like it anyway). Here I tried to recreate a extension of the Motorway from a lower level to a raised one. To be honest, it is the only motorway stretch in the entire game I've ever seen which is properly used by the sims - I get around 20.000 people using it daily. Not exactly the bet idea with the Motorway changing to an ordinary street ~

Jamonbread: Ye, I really know what you mean. These buildings are from so many different sets that I actually do not even know which building belongs were...we defo got some french, german & eastern european W2W's here. To be honest, I think they fit together very well, it is just the different hights which makes them looked missmatched. Especially the french ones are very high compared to other W2W buildings. Thank's for your comment.

k50dude: I send them you in a mail. But if anyone else is interested in them, please PM me and I will send them to you. Thanks for your comment.

TekindusT: I don't really like that church too. But the only alternative would have been a cathedral the size of Notre Dame or larger. This is the smallest, biggest church I could find and I did not want to oversize it. Anyway, glad you like it. Btw, same goes for you as I already said at k50dude's comment. If you would like to have the tenements, PM and I will send you the links. Thanks for your comment.

Other entries:

RQTect777: Glad you like it. Thanks for your comment. The dirt track comes of a farm series I found on the LEX. Can't remember which one though.

iGod

Blackley

In todays's update we're gonna take a journey along the M24 South.

South of "Abbey-Upon-Tyne" and "Upminster", the small town of "Blackley" is located. With its 80.000 inhabitants it actually can be classified as a city but since it has no cathedral (only the "St. Johns Church"), it remains as a town.

The name of the village comes from the sheep race "Blackley Sheeps" which used to be breed here. Now "Blackley" can best be described as a commuter town. The "M24 South" is the main connection between "Abbey-Upon-Tyne" and the city of "Burton" where most of the inhabitants of  "Blackley" do work. "Blackley" itself mainly lives of the tourism and the farming industry. Countless little B&B's have developed in "Blackley" and had, up to now, no competition from larger hotel companys.

The people who come to visit this town especially like how the charm of a big city combines with the rural ambience found here. Or at least that's what they think once they passed by the "Red Hill Estates". Build in the 60's & 70's to give home to the many commuters they soon became a crime hotspot and are now the most unsightly area of "Blackley". Besides this area, "Blackley" offers a lot of variety for the tourists who come and visit this town.

There is the "St. Johns Church" main attraction of the city. Or how about a walk down "Newcastle Road" from the Church to the Main train station? And if that ain't enough, you could go to the hamlet of "Byfleet" to visit the fun fair and have a hike through the rural forests. Also in terms of sports you won't be led down. Tourists and natives alike can go to the "Yew Road Stadium" and watch a game of the "Blackley FC" or go to the "Red Hill Rugby Grounds" to watch how the new rugby players train and play. All these attractions are easily accesible with the tram so tourists can leave their cars behind, which is also adviced since parking spaces in the town centre are very limited. So let's take a look:

Blackley-11Okt1041272470524.png

The town centre with the "St. Johns Church", the main station and "Newcastle Road", leading from the train station to the church. You can also see the main tram hub just of "Newcastle Road" inbetween the buildings on the left.

Blackley-23Nov1041272471099.png

Suburbs in "Blackley". Here in "St. Johns Wood", the people value the vast amount of trees & parks, making it a really nice neighbourhood to live in. If only "Leicester Road" weren't located here it would be an even nicer place. It is one of the main feeder street from the centre to the M25. More than 7000 cars daily!

Blackley-15Okt1041272470576.png

"Red Hill Rugby Grounds" which were only placed here about 5 years in an effort by the town to make the "Red Hill Estates" a more desirable area.

Blackley-31Okt1041272470730.png

An overview of the "Red Hill Estates" just north of the town centre. Even though they are still considered a crime hotspot, crime rates went down by 2.5% in the last year. Some might argue this is due to the drastic no tolerance strategy the police carries out, while others consider the renovation and the creation of more parks & recreational areas to be the reasons for the lower crime rates.

Blackley-17Nov1041272471018.png

The Hamlet of "Byfleet" with the fun fair.

Blackley-27Dez1041272471282.pngAn overview of the town with the southern parts. At the top you can see the hamlet "Byfleet", the "Yew Road Stadium" and the "St. Ann Hospital". As you can see, the church is the dominating part of the skyline and since the city is located in a very flat area, it can be seen from far away.

Blackley-5Jan1051272471370.png

And the northern parts with the "Red Hill Estates" and the "Oakwood Industrial Estate".

dudkis: Thanks for your comment

CTMandR: Thank you for your comment as well. I really tried to make it look realistic and as good as possible.

k50dude: That's one of my favorite ones too. Thanks.

wakkaolaf53: The highway textures? Wait...got the link somewhere...*hardcore searching in progress*...that should be them: 

www.simtropolis.com/stex/details.cfm - The amazing Higway ReStyling Mod V.03 by mrtnrln

Daan300: Thanks. I dunno why, I really got into the more rural side of the game lately.

schulmanator: Thank you for your comment. I tried my best to let it look a balanced and nice rural area.

iGod

Ritchfield

Today, we are going to move west along the "Tyne-Midlands-Cannal" through "Ritchfield". "Ritchfield" must be, by far, one of the most rural areas you will find in the "Tyneside" region. Rather than being one village it is a mixture of three towns. In the east, parts of "Millside" and "Thornton Hights" developed along the "Tyne-Midlands-Cannal". In the west you will find the actual town "Ritchfield". It is a very down-to-earth part of the region. Here, farmers and business men live door on door and it is a very peaceful area. It is also a very popular destination for daytrips for familys from "Abbey-Upon-Tyne" due to the hills, the long paths through the forests and the beach.

So let's take a little look:

Ritchfield-11Apr131271712870.png

Parts of "Thornton Hights" & "Millside". At the bottom right, the M78 cuts right through the farms and countryside.

Ritchfield-1Sep121271711652.png

Cows & farms along the M78

Ritchfield-7Apr131271712842.png

The view at the large gigantic ships coming from or going towards "Abbey-Upon-Tyne" is astonishing, especially at night when they are illuminated.

Ritchfield-16Okt121271711720.png

Since we are not in the warm south, a rocky beach is all that exists here. But still, people enjoy walking around the beaches here, were the "Tyne-Midlands-Cannal" gets back to it's natural look and the walls on both sides disappear.

Salernitano: Thank you. Ye, I am aware of the light towers. I reallised that after I uploaded the prictures. But now thery are gone and landing is possible now without being one hell of a challenge (Well, as soon as the Volcano ash will be gone...)

TekindusT: About the variety - I wanted to create a typical midsized european airport and since this airport ain't the biggest, it would be weird if  American Airlines and stuff would use this Airport. I dunno if that made any sense but I think that fits the Airport more if there are only certain airlines landing there. Although, I must confess that I completly forgot about any low-budget airlines ~

Plane-Crash12000: Thanks for your comment: It's this one - http://www.simtropolis.com/stex/details.cfm?id=22915

thepokemaniac: Thanks for your comment.

Daan300: Lamppost problem solved ~ and thanks for your comment. The Motorway was one of the hardest parts to build so I'm glad you like it.

iGod

"Upminster" was always of less importance when it came to population and or trade. In actual fact, it is only a cloister and a church - the two sights of this little part of "Tyneside". Located in the south of "Abbey-Upon-Tyne" and blessed with lots of fertile gorund, "Upminster" was never really anything else than a place to take your family to on a weekend.

Since the old "Tyneside International Airport" was too small to cope with the number of commuters, a location for the new proposed airport was needed. The choice fell on "Upminster" for variouse reasons. One was that it was just a 25 - 30 minute ride from "Abbey-Upon-Tyne". It is also very well connected to the South since the M24 and a major railway line runs right through this part of "Tyneside".

The only problem was the layout of the Airport since many farmers didn't want to give up their grounds. The city council needed to pay a lot to these farmers to buy parts of their land.

The "Abbey-Upon-Tyne International Airport" was only opend to the public last year.

Let's have a look then.

Upminster-Abbey-Upon-TyneInte-11Apr.png

The new Airport. Terminal 1 (National & Some International flights - Hub for other Companys) is at the left and Terminal 2 (National & International Flights/Lufthansa - Star Alliance & British Airways Hub) at the right. Due to the layout of the airport, 2 towers are needed to coordinate the airport.

Upminster-Abbey-Upon-TyneInte-19Apr.png

A shot of the 2 Terminals at night. In the front of each terminal are small parks and plazas to aerate the structure of the Airport.

Upminster-Abbey-Upon-TyneInte-24Apr.png

A rare view, to planes approaching "Abbey-Upon-Tyne International" at the same time.

Upminster-Abbey-Upon-TyneInte-15Apr.png

The fuel depot at night.

Upminster-Abbey-Upon-TyneInte-10-1.png

Just a view of the Cloister in Upminster.

Upminster-Abbey-Upon-TyneInte-1Mai0.png

A regional view of Upminster. (Hmm...maybe the fuel depot is a bit large?!)

jcmpaz: Thank you for your comment.

hermannleicht: Good luck with your airport. And yes, the bicycles are part of the subway station.

Blakeway: Thank you for your comment. You're welcome nad you can PM me if you need more help 1.gif

k50dude: Thanks for your comment. I hope this update won't disappoint you.

TeknidusT: Thanks for your comment. Well, the airport experienced a bit of a change in layout.

iGod

Airport Teaser

Today I'm going to show you just a picture of the new Airport I'm working on for the city. We shall see how this turns out...

The old airport of "Abbey-Upon-Tyne" does now operate at full capacity and the city authority therefore decided to build a new one. The site chosen for it was the small village of "Upminster" in the south of "Abbey-Upon-Tyne". It will exist out of 2 terminals and 3 runways to cope with the amount of people using this airport.

Upminster-Abbey-Upon-TyneInte-10Apr.png

This is just a small image of Terminal 1. It was decided that this airport should be functional as well as eye-pleasing. The city government therefore decided that the structure of the Airport should be aerated with parks, plazas and a generally nice atmosphere.

TekindusT: Thanks ~ wasn't thinking when I placed this one. I should have looked at the name, it's called "Osaka Stadium"...

hermannleicht: Thank you for your comment. Ye, I know they're always creep me out when I walk around the town and see these roads with these endless rowhouses. But they also have some sort of charme to them I think.

joerigazio: Thank you, that's what I try to do.

Kim Sunwoo: I surely hope you will return every now and then and leave a comment ;) Cheers.

iGod

Millside

In this update, we are going to take a look at another suburb. I actually wanted to create a more historical village with loads of small but historical buildings which would have slowely merged with the bigger city.

But then all these authentic UK terrace houses were build - I totally forgot that I had them in my plugin folder and so the plan of the city changed and somehow, it became a bit more of a grim place. Let's see where it goes from here...

Wellcome to "Millside", one of the more working class boroughs. The town has one of the highest crime levels in the Region and is regulary in the news for the gang wars happening in this borough.

The history of this small village is more or less very simple and straight forward. Founded in 1910 as a small settlement of workers who were tired of travelling every day from the other villages to the logging industry located in this borough.

In the 1980's, the most county councils were abolished and new metropolitan counties were created. During this reform, the metropolian county "Tyneside" was created. It includes following (former) counties:

• City of Abbey-Upon-Tyne
  • City of Burton
  • Stonehouse
  • Millside
  • Thornton Hights/Thornton County
  • Eastwall
  • Blackley
This and the expansion of "Abbey-Upon-Tyne" caused a merger between "Millside" and the city. Once this was done, the main aim of the county council in "Abbey-Upon-Tyne" was to provide cheap living space near the city. And with this, the problems started to arise. A lot of people on a small space. Youth crime rise since there is nothing to do within this village and the only perspective for most young people is to work in one of the factories. One thing led to another and gangs were created. Turf wars are not faught anymore but the inhabitants of "Millside" are still frightened.

And then there is the football club. "Millside United" is the altime nemesis of "Abbey-Upon-Tyne City FC". The club is notorious for it's hooligans. Who can afford it, will moves away.

So let's take a little look:

Millside-16Sep331270402569.png

A close up of the area around "Gibbot Street" (The main road). Home of the "G-Street Gang", the smallest of the three gangs operating in "Millside".

Millside-28Jul331270402106.png

"Gibbot Street" in the evening. Not exactly the safest place to be at night. The M78 cuts through all of "Millside" and is the main connection between the town and "Abbey-Upon-Tyne". At the right you can see the industrial estate, main job provider within the town.

Millside-20Aug331270402203.png

The "Millside United" footabll ground. On this picture as well, you can see the "Zamora University Clinic", part of the University in "Abbey-Upon-Tyne". The larger building below the football stadium is the "Millside Administrational Building". And there is also some sort of a landmark on this picture, the gasometer next to the terrace houses.

Millside-6Aug331270402151.png

Next to the church and the main school, opposite the M78 the "Northern Gang" got their grounds. Highrises here were build to cope with the amount of people living here.

Millside-26Aug331270402420.png

The last gang operating here are the "Hillside WKD", all living around the "Northern Estates".

Millside-9Sep331270402483.png

Last but not least; a overview of the town.

TekindusT: Thank you. I actually came across this mod by accident. It is only a texture mod for the Maxis Highway (or Motorway, Autobahn, Autoroute, Autopista, etc... 2.gif) : www.simtropolis.com/stex/details.cfm - gives it a nice european touch I think.

k50dude: Would you? I suppose it is pretty nice but a bit...I dunno...boring?! Thanks for your comment.

From Previous Updates:

ImVhOzzi: Thank you for your comments.

Cisco2: Thank you as well for your comments.

DCMetro34: Thank you, but the transit map needs a lot of work. I dunno why I put it out there, it wasn't even finished then.

Schulmanator: Cheers.

dimipol006: Thank you too.

Nickuga1: Thank you very much. It's this: kurier.simcityplaza.de/details.php

iGod

Thornton Hights

Moving to the west from "Abbey-Upon-Tyne", along the river "Tyne", you will eventually drive through the town of "Thornton Hights".

Stretching along both sides of the river "Tyne", it can be best described as a suburb on the outskirts of "Abbey-Upon-Tyne". A relatively new village which was only founded around the 1880's as a, although lying on the river, small farming community since this village would have never dreamed of competing with the big rival in the east. Soon, people from "Abbey-Upon-Tyne" started to move here, seeking an alternative to the ever rising house prices in their hometown. The town became popular and with the extension of the "National Railway" in 1920 to the town, the industry and commercial businesses started to move to the city - but for what price. The once so small and peaceful village soon became a loud, noisy place and at the peaktime, counted around 30.000 inhabitants. The farms were driven out of the city and soon house prices were the lowest in the entire county and nationwide, which caused a lot of people to move away from "Thornton Hights". In the 1940's, the time of the "Tyne-Midlands-Cannal" constructions, the majority of houses were abandoned and a big part of the heavy industry needed to move away since their production methods were not in accordance with the new environmental laws imposed.

The city governement saw it's chance to bring the village back to it's old beauty. At this time the village hit rock bottom with only 200 inhabitants remaining and hardly any industry and businesses left. But the the change came around the 1950's & 60's. The construction of the new M7 was propsed by the National Government - it was to connect the east & west coast, parts of the midlands & the "Abbey-Upon-Tyne" Airport. The governing mayor at this time ("Jules Heartly") went into long and exhausting negotiations with the National Government to point out the importance of "Thornton Hights" to the region around "Abbey-Upon-Tyne" and the result was that a new layout was proposed which runs now party through the town.

Since then, the town went a long way and noumerous environmental & other regulations caused the clean high-tech industry to settle in "Thornton Hights". And with the clean industry, the people returned.

Now "Thornton Hights" is a small, clean, typical middle-class village counting around 10.000 inhabitants. It's not a rich village, neither poor but surely a nice place to live. 

ThorntonHights-30Jul291270074041.png

The town centre with some stores and the M7 (or, like the inhabitants call it: "Heartly Way") running past it in the backround. The waterfront also experienced a major renovation during the 1990's and attracts lots of visitors daily. Within the town centre is also the main police station & the "Greenhead Grammar School" (tudor style building in the middle).

ThorntonHights-27Jul311270074497.png

On the northern riverside, the terrace houses continue and within the river, you can see the sculpture of the "Lonely Mermaid", being build here in the 1970's. "Bulls Green Bridge", the only bridge connecting both riversides can be seen in this picture. You can also see the old church which has been build in 1898.

ThorntonHights-25Jul291270074020.png

"Bulls Green", one of 4 boroughs in the town. A typical suburban scenery. The "Aldi" supermarket is pretty much the centre for this side of the river. Also, the kids in the "Bulls Green School" are in a never ending fight with the kids from the other side of the river. In particular from the "Greenhead Grammar School".

ThorntonHights-19Aug291270074126.png

The outskirts of "Thornton Hights". Near the main cemetery, the social welfare homes have been build to proivde affordable homes for everyone.

ThorntonHights-11Aug291270074083.png

Going east, towards the town centre, you will enter the borough of "Hempton" with the Main train station. Because this railway line is quite heavily used, the city build sound walls to protect the citicens at least a bit from the noise pollution emitted by the trains.

ThorntonHights-16Nov291270074213.png

In "Pearlwort Heath", the major part of the high-tech industry has settled. Connections to the M7 & the Railway guarantee a fast delivery of all goods produced.

ThorntonHights-20Aug311270074738.png

And finaly, a picture of the town as a whole with the "Tyne-Midlands-Channel" running right through it and the M7 at the east.

Hope you enjoyed this update!

Comments are, as per usual, welcome and appreciated.

iGod

Hey guys (and girls?!)

Ok, first up, no I am not gonna end this CJ - but I would like your opinion on an issue that really starts to bug me. It somehow seems that everything I build here, seems like it already came up in "Habourtown", but then I really enjoy building "Abbey-Upon-Tyne" and it also makes good CJ. And I can't help it, I really like this mixture of UK & European style.

Therefore, what do YOU think, should I carry it on or leave it?

And if I do carry it on, what are particular areas and stuff you would like to see? More suburbs, other cities in the region, transport?! - any ideas or suggestions, post 'em here! Or are there any other things you would like to see, or even critics saying "get rid of this, and how about that instead?". And should I carry on with the history approach or some other style (like TekindusT's legendary "Taxi Driver")? The choice is, to a certain extend, yours.

I am at the moment actually expanding and working on the region and building different cities and towns in it - and obviously building on "Abbey-Upon-Tyne" as well. But I am also quite busy with learning and stuff, so I would appreciate it if you're patient with me and don't expect a new update or so by tomorrow

So go on, post any ideas, suggestions or critics here. It will be all valued and appreciated and helps me to create an even better city.

iGod

iGod

TBC1 Evening News

“Welcome to the 8 o’clock news on TBC 1. My name is John Meryside.”

”Main headline today, the new nuclear power plant Tyneside I is reopened. You may remember, in June 2004 it was shut down due to technical errors. It now got reopened after a major refurbishment took place to make the power plant fit for the new decade. Here is a picture of it, taken this afternoon after the opening ceremony.”

Abbey-Upon-Tyne-4Jul261262394065.png

”In other news, professor McAyles from the RoyalAbbey-Upon-TyneUniversity said that the new development around

Grayham Road
in the South has a huge impact upon the city. He states that: “this might be the best since the development of Tyneside”.
Grayham Road
is now a synonym for the flourishing economy in Abbey-Upon-Tyne.”

Abbey-Upon-Tyne-22Okt261262394659.png

”The Tyneside Metro Network got extended. New lines are now running from King Edward Station to PetrowitschPark and from Blacksmiths to Blyth. Besides that, the network will no operate on a 24 hour basis. A spokesman said that: “Thanks to last years profit, we are now able to offer more services to the customers. We hope that they will use the Tyneside Metro in the future as well.” Peter Johnson, Tyneside Metro Company.”

Unbenannt.jpg

”And now to sports” – “Hello, I am Ann Spears. The Abbey-Upon-Tyne City FC had a match against Millside United. Millside won 2 -1 and some fans of both teams collided after the game. Luckily, the police was on the spot and no major damages happened although some hooligans were taken in. Other matches today were Millburn versus Stanton, 2-1 which makes Millburn the new leader. Oldham lost against Aberburgh 1-0 and Stanton drew against Mulland, 2 both. The Premier League table list as following after the Friday matches:

1. Millburn FC

2. Stanton City FC

3. Abbey-Upon-Tyne City FC

4. Millside United

5. Oldham Hotspurts

6. …

That’s it from me, back to you John.”

Abbey-Upon-Tyne-16Jul261262394169.png

”Thanks Ann, and now to our local report, here is AdamLake for you.”

”’Evening John. I am here at Fenchurch today were the people must have a good life, or that's what a study of the University of Burnmouth stated in their research report. The report states that most people in the Tyneside region would prefer living in Abbey-Upon-Tyne and especially in the borough Fenchurch. This is because of the good infrastructure and neighbourhood. Oh well, I still like my flat in Hulme and would never give it up for a house in Fenchurch. Anyway, on that bombshell it’s time to end, back to you John”

Abbey-Upon-Tyne-18Aug261262394370.png

”Thank you Adam. We all here at TBC 1 wish you a good night. Cya at 11 for the late night news. Until then, take care and good night.”

Comments are, as per usual, welcome and appreciated. Ratings are also welcome.

Feedback

Paramore22: Thank you, I think it's Gouldwood Bank Tower: http://www.simtropolis.com/stex/details.cfm?id=12789

nickuga1: Thank you very much. As said previously, that's the set: http://kurier.simcityplaza.de/details.php?file=1099

armpit43: Besides the fact that this is a fictional city, it has quite a massive british influence. But I like to think of it more as a city

which can be considered british but with a very unique european influence and flair. Hope that answers your question.

iGod

No, I am not getting sentimental but thanks to the Simtropolis Community for doing such a great job. No matter if it's the plugins for SC4 you can download here, have a read through the CJ's or simply browsing through the forum for q&a's....simply an amazing website.

Wanna wish everyone here a happy new year 2010 and hope to see you again in the next decade ;)

Next years gonna be even more amazing for my CJ's, but you can see that for yourself in a bit...until then, have a look at my other CJ's and comments are, as per usual, welcome and appreciated

Tyne20.jpg

Innovations: Cheers. Uni simply takes a lot of time... :|

DCMetro34: Thank you, didn't had time to look at your CJ yet but will do soon.

shyguy from SC4D: Thank you as well. For the airport just search for " ACB-VLT" on the STEX, that's all you need for a decent Airport

The supports are only eye-candy but can be found here: http://kurier.simcityplaza.de/details.php?file=1099 - the

installer is in english as well.

abdullah104: STEX and a well known search engine ;) But if you need more help, let me know.

Benedict: Thank you very much. Good to hear that some people actually read the story behind it lol ;)

Northsider: Cheers. I think it's this one, but I might be mistaken: http://www.simtropolis.com/stex/details.cfm?id=16008

iGod

City update

Finally found the time again to get to some SimCity…hurray for me!

Today we just have a little look at random views of the City.

First up is “North Hill” and “PetorowitschPark”, named after a famous Russian writer who once lived in the city. In the park you will find two monuments, first the “Lady of the North”, a statue to symbolise how the city welcomes everyone who stays in the harbour after a journey from the sea. There are also some old temple ruins which can be visited.

Second most important development is the expansion of the old Airport. “TynesideInternationalAirport” got extended and is now turned into an international hub as well as a destination for regional planes.  Main feature of this new airport is the face that all traffic is going through tunnels to each terminal, same as the railway which cuts in a tunnel all the way underneath the airport.

And the third new developments are the “Riverside Projects” at the M78 in "Hulme", one of the newer boroughs in "Abbey-Upon-Tyne". Simply does what it says, provides housing to an affordable price near the city centre…kind of.

Let’s have a look:

Abbey-Upon-Tyne-10Apr231261536387.png

North Hill” and “PetorowitschPark”. At the right you can see the "Lady of the North"

Abbey-Upon-Tyne-10Dez221261535824.png

This is "Tyneside International Airport". At the left of it you can see the M7 and the "Wesson Intersection", connection the M7 with the M78. The terminal at the left is the new Terminal 2 for international destinations. Terminal 1 on the right is only for regional flights. At the North of the Airport you can see the entrance for the Airport Tunnel Network which connects the Terminals with each other and the citys road and motorway network.

Abbey-Upon-Tyne-16Dez221261535926.png

A close-up of Terminal 1. This is the only place in the whole airport where the roads actually come to the surface.

Abbey-Upon-Tyne-15Apr231261536425.png

"Hulme" and the "Riverside Projects" in the morning light.

Abbey-Upon-Tyne-17Aug231261536783.png

The M78 cutting right through the centre of the "Riverside Projects". Since space is precious, city planners tried to make as much use of the area underneath the motorway as possible. There are shops, parking lots and garages which can be rent, which is a good idea since it is quite advisible, especially at night times. The crime rates here are actually not that high but this area can still be seen as a crime hotspot.

Abbey-Upon-Tyne-22Jul231261536584.pngA random shot of the downtown at night. At the bottom of the picture you can see "Lime Street Station", terminal for some metro lines.

Abbey-Upon-Tyne-30Jul231261536652.png

The borough of "Brick Road" and the main classification yard.

Hope you like this little update.

Comments are, as per usual, appreciated and welcome!

iGod

Planning Stage

Alright, as some may noticed photobucket locked my images. Just for a few days but anyway.

So here we go with the planning stage, that´s what´s coming next:

- Tram network

- Region overview

- More mountains! (Good, I love them)

- and other stuff,

PS: any ideas what to do next are welcome. Also trivia sections about this city are in plannin stage. Any questions are welcome and quite appreciated!

Comments are, as per usual, appreciated and welcome! PS: You can rate now ;)

iGod

Suburban Scenes

Just a small update today. We gonna have a look at some different suburbs in "Abbey-Upon-Tyne".

One of the oldest suburbs is "Bishops Green". Once beeing residence to the members of the "Franciscan Order" it now is the most desired area to live in. House prices here are only affordable for the rich and famous. 

Most people therefore enjoy living in places like "Bethnal Green" or "Brick Road", the alternative for people with high standards and low budgets.

But new suburbs are developing near the mountain side and people are moving to them because they are closer to the downtown area and to the nature as well! 

So let's have a look now:

Abbey-Upon-Tyne-17Apr181252271365.png

"Bethnal Green" at the top and parts of "Brick Road" can be seen ath te bottom of the pic. Right between these two boroughs is the "Jimi Hendrix Memorial Hospital" and the "St. Nick Catholic School".

Abbey-Upon-Tyne-19Apr181252271381.png

"Bishops Green" located right next to the University

Abbey-Upon-Tyne-2Nov161252270706.png

The "Royal St. George University of Abbey-Upon-Tyne". the brown building at the bottom is the administrative building & art's tower. The two high rises at the left are the "St. Andrew Towers", formerly beeing halls for students but are now open for everyone to life in. Despite their looks they are very popular under young people. The building at the bottom left is the "John Malkovich Building" - main teaching facility for natural & social sciences and languages.

Abbey-Upon-Tyne-5Feb171252271022.png

One of the newest suburbs. This one is "St. Johns Wood". At the left is the "Franciscan Crypt" and the "St. John Boys School", a boarding school for the new elite.

LastTrueChamp: Yeah, it's impressive what you can do with the NAM, isn't it? And thank you for commenting! 44.gif

froelich131: Thank you too. Yes, the whole area is hand terra formed. I simply don't like the terrafroming tools.

citysoulover: Thank you me too 1.gif

thepokemaniac: Such words from you - I feel honourd! *blush*

Blakeway: Wait for it, wait for it... 2.gif

TekindusT: so many people ask for that castle, but here it is again: "Burg Eltz", found on the stex:

http://www.simtropolis.com/stex/details.cfm?id=18928

Schulmanator: Cheers man!

stoney525: Thanks mate! If you want that city in your alliance, i would be happy. You can delete the other ones though after they won't be continued.

Ok, I will be on holidays for a few days now (Holidays - woop woop! Finally!!!), so if you have any suggestions what you wanna see next or any ideas or such, just post on here and I'll see what I can do

Hope you enjoyed this update!

iGod

Caroline Pass

Alright, today we're gonna hit the road - actually the "Caroline Pass" also known as "E565", "Suicide Road" and "The Pass". A little bit to the history.

In 1830 this pass was build to provide "Abbey-Upon-Tyne" with connections to other towns and cities all over the nation. Sharing borders with the country of "Habsburg" the pass is also a very important trading route for the nations. Since the first opening, the pass has always claimed it's toll to some of the travelling people. This year it already had 5 casualities.

The pass is under contious renovation. Once they finished it, they start again at the beginning so that it is always (sort of) safe to travel here.

You may should avoid taking this route in winter of autumn...nasty weather and snow storms make travelling this pass a suicide mission in these times. But in summer and spring you can enjoy beautiful views of "Abbey-Upon-Tyne" and the "Habsburger Land". Or you can go hiking or climbing up the highest mountain in the country, the "Florence Mountain".

So let's have a look:

Abbey-Upon-Tyne-19Apr141252092460.png

Starting near downtown "Abbey-Upon-Tyne" this is the beginning of hte "Caroline Pass". This spot actually doesn't charge any money. Cars and trucks get inspected at random before beeing allowed onto the pass.

Abbey-Upon-Tyne-20Apr141252092473.png

After going up some of the stepest slopes you nearly reached the top.

Abbey-Upon-Tyne-21Apr141252092489.png

This is one of the highest spots on the pass. Here you can decide which direction you wanna go. The left takes you to the "Habsburger Land" and to the right to the mountain chain near the coast. First we gonna go right...

Abbey-Upon-Tyne-22Apr141252092509.png

Following this road you will, eventualy, hit the coast... You can see the "Joshua Bridge", "Milano Tunnel" and the "Washington Bridge".

Abbey-Upon-Tyne-23Apr141252092524.png

If you go to the left however you will drive over the "Jean Valley Bridge". If you take a right turn you will end up in the "Habsburger Land"...Toll Free!!! Here you also have reached the highest point on this pass, 2534m over sea level.

Abbey-Upon-Tyne-4Feb001251842013.jpg

Didn't we had this pic already? Sorry for reusing it again but I just like it.

Abbey-Upon-Tyne-24Apr141252092542.png

Past the "Horseshoe Mountain" you will end up near the castle "Eltz".

Abbey-Upon-Tyne-26Apr141252092557.png

Castle "Eltz", a famous tourist destination can only be reached usin the pass.

Hope you liked this short trip to the countryside. No architecture now, just countryside

Innovations: Yay, can't wait for it!

mgmg14: Thank you. I like this golf couse too. It doesn't look so strange like the in-game on, I think.

wallasey: Thank you for the idea. It is still in some sort of a planning stage, it isn't final yet.

froelich131: Thank you. I tried my best here lol.

iGod

Blyth & St. George

"Blyth" & "St. George" are two of the oldest suburbs near "Abbey-Upon-Tyne" and aslo share a similar history. Blyth was founded in 1643 as a small fishing community as well as "St. George". Once the coal industry was moving in the city, they were looking for easy ways to distribute the coal. Railways were soon build but could only transport a limited amount of coal. A new harbour was needed but there were only a few spots in this mountanious area where it could be build. The choice fell on Blyth and from 1917 to 1919 the "Blythton Harbour" was build. Today it is still the main hub for coal shippment in the country. But also other goods are beeing send from here to all their different destinations, eg. cars from the BMW factory located in "Abbey-Upon-Tyne".

"St. George" & "Blyth"sort of merged in the 19th century and today it is impossible to distinguish between the two towns.

"St. George" is also home to the "Royal Golf Club of St. George", a wolrd famous and very hard to play golf course. It is one of the oldest in the world founded in 1756.

In 1960's a new project was started to attract more people into these villages. The "Blythton Terraces" soon became one of the wealthiest areas in "Abbey-Upon-Tyne".

Abbey-Upon-Tyne-7Sep131252011902.png

This is just a small overview of "Blyth & St. George". "Blyth" is the area towards the harbour and "St. George" is the one on the right...sort of...

Abbey-Upon-Tyne-15Sep131252011980.png

"St. George" with the old fishing harbour.

Abbey-Upon-Tyne-10Sep131252011960.png

"Blythton Harbour". A harbour - not much to say.

Abbey-Upon-Tyne-18Sep131252012035.png

A view of the "Blythton Terraces". I was so happy when I found a STR station that I needed to put it in use straight away. I am still not sure if the setting with the walls fits in the city or if it looks too...I dunno...Japanese?

Abbey-Upon-Tyne-19Sep131252012054.png

This is the "Royal Golf Club of St. George". Wouldn't you enjoy playing a little golf whilst looking at the mountains and enjoying the fresh sea air?

Abbey-Upon-Tyne-20Sep131252012089.png

I redid the downtown area to fit more my ideas and there you go. Used more mid-rise buildings rather than skyscrapers and they also fir in better with the city I think. But it's still in development!

Innovations: Well I changed it now, recon it's any better? Go for it, interesting to see some of your work!

soccerderek: Thank you, never been to Fort Lauderdale, but if you say so. The stadiums: 

Football stadium: Allianz Arena (a japanese site, can't remember which one though...)

The Arena (Hockey looking one?!): Köln Arena - http://www.simtropolis.com/stex/details.cfm?id=3149

The athletics ground: http://www.simtropolis.com/stex/details.cfm?id=18685

Djohaal: Hey teapot-alright, it started out with just the most basic set of plugins and then more and more came to it and suddently-woop woop

Hope you enjoy this update,

iGod

City & Caroline Pass

The city itself is actually not that old. Founded in 1051 as a little settlement of the Franciscan Order it soon became a village with many inhabitants. Coal and Wool products have always been goods witch "Abbey-Upon-Tyne" exported. In the 16th century coal became the main export good, but also ships were build near the river "Tyne". Since 1974 "Abbey-Upon-Tyne" is the administrative centre of "East Lombardia".

From 1642 to 1665 the "Fransican Abbey" was build, which also gave the name to this town. Before that it was known as "Pons Aelii".

The "Caroline Pass" is the oldest and still most important connection from "Abbey-Upon-Tyne" to the nation. Crossing the "Newcastle Massif", it is one of the highest passes in this country, at the highest point about 2300m high!

So let's take a little look at the city.

Abbey-Upon-Tyne-20Feb081251928502.png

This is a view at the old town. At the left is "King Edward Station", the main station and at the right you can see the "Fransican Abbey".

Abbey-Upon-Tyne-30Sep071251928345.png

This is the other side of the river, the borough "Tyneside". Still in development since the main development took place on the other riverside.

Abbey-Upon-Tyne-25Dez061251927822.png

This is the "Sowerby Sports Park", with the "Admiral John Stanton Stadium", the "Adam Cook Arena" and a training place for the Footballers of the "A.U.T. City FC". The large building at the back is a mixture of everything. Administrative building, a small hospital wing, hotel, meeting rooms, etc...

Abbey-Upon-Tyne-9Feb081251928466.png

Downtown "Tyneside". I tried to do a sort of "Art Deco" approach to the downtown area. But I can't really...err..."feel" it. Any suggestions of how to improve this area? It somehow doesn't feel complete to me.

Abbey-Upon-Tyne-9Dez061251927195.png

A small part of the "Caroline Pass" Maybe more next time?!

Innovations: Thanks, I wanted something unique and I haven't seen lot's of "mountain" CJ's around! And living in the German Alps I though that would make a good addition. 2.gif

Djohaal: Cheers mate. You actually brought me to the idea of going back to basics and see what happens.44.gif

mgmg14: Thanks, hope that too! 21.gif

bwong: Me too, me too! 5.gif

Paul5: Thank you. Well, there you go, next update. 3.gif

froelich131: Cheers! 4.gif

Mayor Dylan Thomas: Lol, thanks. The castle is "Burg Eltz", can be found on the stex, http://www.simtropolis.com/stex/details.cfm?id=18928

stoney525: Cheers mate. But you ain't seen nothing yet 2.gif

dannymc92: Guess where I got that idea from. Can you see some similarity between the historys? 6.gif *shocking!*

Blakeway: Thanks mate. lol. But why aren't you working on your own city first?! 20.gif (Just kidding...)

Hope you like it so far.

Sign in to follow this  

Help Keep Simtropolis Online, Open & Free!

stexcollection-header.png

Would you be able to help us catch up after a bit of a shortfall?

We had a small shortfall last month. Your donation today would help us catch up for this month.

Make a Donation, Get a Gift!

We need to continue to raise enough money each month to pay for expenses which includes hardware, bandwidth, software licenses, support licenses and other necessary 3rd party costs.

By way of a "Thank You" gift, we'd like to send you our STEX Collector's DVD. It's some of the best buildings, lots, maps and mods collected for you over the years. Check out the STEX Collections for more info.

Each donation helps keep Simtropolis online, open and free!

Thank you for reading and enjoy the site!

More About STEX Collections