• Entries
  • Comments
  • Views

XXX ・ The Rice Kingdom

Tonraq

FQnA1sD.jpg

Naotaka learns the modern technologies associated with rice farming and how the modern property system works. 

Short update, around 10 images, just to fulfill the monthly updating cycle. Expect updates to pick up faster in April and May! 

---

K2Uf5or.jpg

Ii Naotaka had arrived in Ninohe, a small town of 3,000 people. It had the most basic of services: Fire station, high school, railway station, supermarkets, you name it. The town was on the centre of the so-called "inaka", offering no glimpse of the urban typologies that had defined Okaiken. In context, farms dominate the landscape; old, worn-down homes are prevalent, and there is no asphalt in sight aside from the yet unopened highway section. 

1gSaUzU.jpg

Occasionally, you get a load of freight pass through the town. After all, railways remain important to the development of the nation. On the other hand, vehicles are rarely on the roads seen above. Highways had diverted road traffic into their own road service areas.

5CPozoQ.jpg

Once arriving at the rail station, Naotaka headed immediately to the community office located just across from it. 

e5NZpyt.jpg

He asked to get a little information sheet for a planned field trip for children in the town. "Sorry, nothing's pretty much in here, aside from the abundance of rice. You can say that we are a rice kingdom but we are definitely not a tourist kingdom..."

"Well, I'm not here to bring tourists. I'm here to bring my students for a lesson in rice farming."

"Oh? Right this way then. Mr. Sato will be happy to see you then."

---

q1NwzB8.jpg

Naotaka was taken by this certain "Mr. Sato" through the town centre, filled with the local restaurant and a convenience store.

2RWmXZl.jpg 

His car then turned left and into the suburban part of town. While the town may bot be as productive as it used to be, many people still live in the town. Although, signs of decay can be seen left and right.

ceKrVVK.jpg

Naotaka sees the same farm typologies as he exits the town proper. Townhouse here, townhouse there. This pretty much defined the typical Sanese typology.

4BJZn6R.jpg

As the car crossed the highway bridge...

2299D2l.jpg

Naotaka asked: "Where are you going to take me again?"

Mr. Sato replied back to Naotaka. "This was my farm property. it got cut off by the Sanese Highway and power line utility poles."

"Are you sure this is safe for children?"

"Maybe, maybe not."

-30-

jcBWhSq.jpg

@MissVanleider - thanks for the comment! greatly appreciated. Great effort is pulled into this occasionally and blank spaces should be filled in at best to make it fit with the surrounding environs. Thanks @takemethere for the heartfelt comment! :P @Ln X and @raynev1, Photoshop filters can be really tiring to look at but as long as you know the content nd the context, then you should be fine. Thanks guys!

@sucram17 they were part of Neko's streams and could be downloaded at http://www.hide-inoki.com/bbs/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=858. Night scenes were not really photoshopped because they were a combination of the street lighting MOD and a street mod that reduced the distance between the lighting apertures. So thanks @ulisse as well :). Thanks for the comment @gviper as well! @kschmidt it's not necessarily Chinese or Korean because both of them have different typologies as Japan. the previous entries' typologies were all Japanese. 

@totalnoob I think it was a station the I got from Simcityedit, but could be buried in the file jungle. I recommend exploring the website. You may get into other things as well. :P @Odainsaker and @SimCoug, well? :P @Ln X, @MilitantRadical thanks! I've seen less and less journals by the day, but I'm trying to at least provide just one update for a month. Right now my updating cycle is really out of hand because architecture school involves a ton of work LOL :lol:. @Themistokles Japan is known for its dense, 1 unit residential housing. Some might go way smaller and denser than that. I picked up a copy of the Japan Architect two weeks ago and find a lot of their housing is small. I mean that the scale is almost to the micro level! :lol: @MushyMushy true that, and thanks for the comment :P 

じゃあ~ いってきます!(^も^)>

15 Comments

Recommended Comments

Excellent photos! I always liked your work and your talent with SC4

Edited by Artimus  

Share this comment

Flashy, space not at a premium; all as effecient ordered as Japan can be; some kind of dimensions wich aren´t found much elsewhere in asia, well done !

Share this comment

Always an excellent update!  I am immediately reminded this time of a Rachel & Jun video blog where they get to try first planting rice and later harvesting rice at Jun's uncle's divided paddies in Aichi.  The Nōbi Plain, which spans Gifu and Aichi, is one of the great rice basket regions of Japan and its wetlands are dotted with farming towns not unlike Ninohe here, which slowly agglomerate into the megacity of Nagoya.  Rachel & Jun even take their freshly harvested rice to the automated rice polishing vending machine, surely a fixture on every street corner!

Oh, and Shinkenchiku / JA - Japan Architect is an awesome periodical, not only due to the fascinating subject matter, but also because it was materially the highest quality magazine I've yet seen published, with surprisingly heavy and glossy paper, clean layouts, bilingual text, and huge photographs detailing Japanese buildings and urbanism.  It's a Japanese BAT-maker's dream magazine.

Share this comment

Meu objetivo é um dia chegar nesse nível. Sou novato no jogo.

My goal is to one day reach that level. I am new to this game.

Edited by Tonraq  

Share this comment