29 posts in this topic Last Reply

Highlighted Posts

Hello.

I would like to create a new quay, but I don't know where to start. What I need? Once the mesh is created in sketchup, what do I have to do? How many files do I need? What type?

I would also like to rebuild my Wall  https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1266458566 with network techniques but I don't know how to do it. If someone can help me I would be so thankful.

Regards

You need a mesh for the segment and at least a diffuse texture for it, I'd suggest normal too. The default quays come with a node mesh too, which is an end cap, but it isn't technically needed as long as you cap the ends of the segment. You're prob also gonna want to add vertex paint to the mesh so it doesn't scroll through the texture (not sure if SketchUp can do that). Quays basically work a lot like roads, just much simpler. :P So make sure you read up on the wiki for the road editor - it has some other texture types then buildings for example have. Like one to apply the map theme's pavement texture to the model.

What I did was dump the mesh from the original quay with ModTools and have a look at it in Blender. It gave me some dimentions to start with and an idea of how the mesh should be (and how it should be textured).

• Original Poster
  • If I understand correctly, I need to make an FBX like any asset, at least 64 meters long and create it in the editor as if it were a road. The node mesh is another FBX for end caps.

I'll try it as soon as I can. Thank you very mush.

• Original Poster
  • I have subscribed some of your quays, they are very beautiful. And very realistic. Great job.

Yup, that's correct. The segment should have the pivot point at the middle and the node should have the pivot point in the same spot as if it's placed on the end. It's kinda hard to explain, but if you dump both meshes with ModTools you'll see how it's done. For me that way prob way more helpful than anything on the wiki explaining things - it's just easier to look at it and see how it's actually done.

Thank you very much! :)

further to what Avanya says: it's a good idea to think about how your quay will interact with the vanilla quay and others on the workshop. Do you want it to be able to sit next to them or be used independent of them? this will dictate whether you cap the ends, keep the size and shape the same as the vanilla or not.

• Original Poster
  • Ok I understand. But vhy does this happen to me? I have tried somes combinations but I can't get the texture to look good.

RetWallMal.png

• Original Poster
  • I have raised it so that it can be seen, but that will not be its final position.

Yeah, that's the wrong way. You'll want to rotate that and the UV map 90 degrees and you'll stop having that problem with the texture.

6 hours ago, Framit said:

Ok. Thanks. I'll try it.

also, if you find that the tiling is a little squished once you've rotated you may need to cut down the texture and stretch it in the vertical direction - the tiling in the game will compensate and you will get a better repetition after import 

• Original Poster
  • It Works very well. Thanks. Just one last question: why my quay does not curve in the corner?

RetWallMal3.png

• Original Poster
  • And the last last one: Since my texture is 1024X1024, why it is applied deformed, 20% higher than wide.

Best regards

1 hour ago, Framit said:

Just one last question: why my quay does not curve in the corner?

Looks like the top part of your mesh doesn't have any subdivisions, the model can only bend where there is a vertex.

1 hour ago, Framit said:

Since my texture is 1024X1024, why it is applied deformed, 20% higher than wide.

The game will automatically scale and tile the texture so it's not cut off when the network ends. You can use the Network Tiling Mod to have a little more control over how that happens, or just adjust your texture to compensate for that.

It's looking good so far, nice work! :thumb:

• Original Poster
  • OK. I have the Tiling Mode but how is it used. Forgive the question but I'm pretty inexperienced in that.And you are very kind helping me.

• Original Poster
  • How many subdivisions do you advise for the curve?

3 hours ago, Framit said:

How many subdivisions do you advise for the curve?

I usually go for 16 segments in length and it's usually a good idea to split it in half so it has a center line too on the other axis

3 hours ago, Framit said:

OK. I have the Tiling Mode but how is it used. Forgive the question but I'm pretty inexperienced in that.And you are very kind helping me.

I would avoid using this mod of its possible because you're forcing people to have to use a mod just to use your network when really you should be able to make it without 

7 hours ago, Bad Peanut said:

I would avoid using this mod of its possible because you're forcing people to have to use a mod just to use your network when really you should be able to make it without 

No, it's stupid you can't control the tiling in the first place, you're forced to make a lower quality texture by squishing it, or an inefficient texture by repeating the same thing more.

People should stop being afraid of basic mods which work fine.

1 hour ago, Ronyx69 said:

No, it's stupid you can't control the tiling in the first place, you're forced to make a lower quality texture by squishing it, or an inefficient texture by repeating the same thing more.

I just dont find it difficult to produce a working asset without it, and i know that some modders abandon their mods eventually and it would not work after. It's not about being afraid it's about not relying on the whim of another person

• Original Poster
  • Ok . I know how to make a quay. I made one without the Tiling mode because it seems that it doesn't work for me. Now i have a problema with the node. My quay measures 64 unities and is centered on its axis. The i built the node at one end but it appears very narrow and with a very very stretched texture. What am I doing wrong.

RetWallMal3.png

I have noticed that many (most?) of the workshop roads have extremely stretched textures on the node caps, particularly roads that are meant to be elevated and have walls (like brick or concrete) underneath them. Is this fixable?

You can see what I'm talking about in the shadow here:

7A568BB1724158332F522A2201219A87D2D75180

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1186715899

1 hour ago, AmiPolizeiFunk said:

I have noticed that many (most?) of the workshop roads have extremely stretched textures on the node caps, particularly roads that are meant to be elevated and have walls (like brick or concrete) underneath them. Is this fixable?

You can see what I'm talking about in the shadow here:

7A568BB1724158332F522A2201219A87D2D75180

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1186715899

This just means the creators haven't utilised the vertex colors to stop the tiling effect which is what causes this. 

It's explained in the wiki

@Framit Your node mesh looks a bit off, assuming its the picture to the right side. Try scaling it up to 64m as well, even though it won't really be that long. Looks like you're almost there, keep it up!

On 29/06/2018 at 3:49 PM, Ronyx69 said:

incidentally - it's now possible to save additional information into the .crp files of the assets right? Could you not update your mod to do that so the mod isn't required to load the asset, only to make it?

I know you're not as lazy as you think the developers are so I'm sure if you can do this you will :)

4 hours ago, Bad Peanut said:

incidentally - it's now possible to save additional information into the .crp files of the assets right? Could you not update your mod to do that so the mod isn't required to load the asset, only to make it?

I know you're not as lazy as you think the developers are so I'm sure if you can do this you will :)

No, all of those AnimUV, PropRotating, Additive Shader mods exist because changing shader parameters such as vectors or floats don't save/load.

This new data thing just can save additional data in the asset but that data won't do anything by itself, you need a mod for that. It doesn't help in any way, in fact it would be more hassle, right now it works like this: run script to save data in the asset, require mod to load and apply the changes ingame. But if I tried to use the new data saving thing it would be like this: mod required for saving the data, can't do it with a script, mod needed to load and apply the changes ingame, so it would be more work for me and the asset creators.

The only upside of the data saving feature would be that if we have many of these kinds of mods, you wouldn't be able to use a lot of them on the same asset, as they would use the same field to store the data, it's easy to fix that problem by just seperating the data with a special character like # or something, but right now it's not even a problem as you can only have one shader on a prop/building/vehicle/etc. anyway.

Also I am the laziest person on the planet.

1 hour ago, Ronyx69 said:

No, all of those AnimUV, PropRotating, Additive Shader mods exist because changing shader parameters such as vectors or floats don't save/load.

This new data thing just can save additional data in the asset but that data won't do anything by itself, you need a mod for that. It doesn't help in any way, in fact it would be more hassle, right now it works like this: run script to save data in the asset, require mod to load and apply the changes ingame. But if I tried to use the new data saving thing it would be like this: mod required for saving the data, can't do it with a script, mod needed to load and apply the changes ingame, so it would be more work for me and the asset creators.

The only upside of the data saving feature would be that if we have many of these kinds of mods, you wouldn't be able to use a lot of them on the same asset, as they would use the same field to store the data, it's easy to fix that problem by just seperating the data with a special character like # or something, but right now it's not even a problem as you can only have one shader on a prop/building/vehicle/etc. anyway.

Also I am the laziest person on the planet.

Thank you for your in-depth reply, and if you're the laziest then I will take home the crown for procrastination