Miccrosshill

mic has a Question about : Glas without rotor-shader

24 posts in this topic Last Reply

Highlighted Posts

Hi there,

i never touched roads or quays for modding and i may need to make a new quay - mostly just the texture. I have absolute no idea how to start this. I know there are nodes so is it a road? Where to find the right template. And is it easy to make?

I appriciate any help.

btw. that is the pier i want as quay - google map

I have no idea about modding, but as new quay variants showed up on the workshop, like these, I guess it's safe to say they are "roads" (networks) that are open to being changed.

• Original Poster
  • ok - i got a small success - and thats what i have learned :

the model and texture in Blender .. aligned as shown!

pre-quay01.thumb.jpg.e12d2dca3cdd174134787e57c67b7a1d.jpg

this is final what i get - not so bad for 4h of trying *hehe*

pre-quay.jpg.5b1d9fcfc61c8a2a63f90ff3667e1bc3.jpg

now i can starting with better textures and some details - lets where i am later (surely frustrated *hehe*)

9 hours ago, Miccrosshill said:

ok - i got a small success - and thats what i have learned :

the model and texture in Blender .. aligned as shown!

pre-quay01.thumb.jpg.e12d2dca3cdd174134787e57c67b7a1d.jpg

this is final what i get - not so bad for 4h of trying *hehe*

pre-quay.jpg.5b1d9fcfc61c8a2a63f90ff3667e1bc3.jpg

now i can starting with better textures and some details - lets where i am later (surely frustrated *hehe*)

I don't think your mesh goes deep enough, when you extract the vanilla mesh with modtools you can see it goes into the terrain very deep and on an angle to accommodate the way terrain widens as it gets more steep. 
    Lovely textures though!!

• Original Poster
  • thx Bad Peanut :)

i just started to finetune the model and i dont know why - ingame it totaly messed up ..

how can i extract the vanilla mesh? I have the mod-tools but don´t know where to look for.

1 hour ago, Miccrosshill said:

thx Bad Peanut :)

i just started to finetune the model and i dont know why - ingame it totaly messed up ..

how can i extract the vanilla mesh? I have the mod-tools but don´t know where to look for.

first up, i turn off most mods except modtools as some mess up the road menus in the editor so they don't have quays available (they should be available)

ok first step, you need to select the network to dump textures/meshes from. so go into the roads menu and find the original quay and select it as if you would be placing it. (do not use the tool that is for the road you're currently creating because although the textures and meshes exist on screen they aren't saved yet so they can't be dumped)
    tx72vMS.jpg

next up - whilst the quay is selected - open modtools panel (ctr E) and find the "Tool Controller" drop down, and under that drop down select the "NetTool" to open in the panel.

PNpeo2j.jpg

In the main panel  now find "+NetInfo Prefab = Quay (NetInfo)" and expand it. this is the meat of the quay, under that expanded section, find the "m_segments" and expand that. here you'll usually find more expandable lists looking like "m_segment [0]" and "m_segment [1]" numbering up depending on how many meshes there are for the ground elevation. Quay only has one so expand that and you will find the normal "dump" options

UaN81rs.jpg

You can usually use the "Preview" Button per segment, and open that preview and use the "dump mesh+textures" button to dump everything at once, or you can expand the individual slots to dump elements like just meshes.

You can do the same for node meshes but instead of finding m_segments find m_nodes.

if you're looking for the other elevations, glance under the "netAI" list and expand it, and then look at the m_elevated, m_bridge, m_slope, and m_tunnel to find the corresponding m_segments and m_nodes

• Original Poster
  • hi there,

as many of you i am part of Pugs project. Right now i am into the big swimmingpool and have a question about Buildings and their terraforming.

prebuild.thumb.jpg.c3c1c3af5fe2627bc4fdcd46c2df0d4e.jpg

i need this one into the game without affecting the terraforming .. so i can set it higher or deeper without nearby terrain goes also up and down. Actual i have the "noBase" shader applied (because of the pool" - the water itself is a subbuilding with the rotor-shader (still wip - need more transparency) - so my question - which Template should i use to move this building vertical ingame without affecting the surrounding terrain?

thx for your help :)

The noBase shader and flatten terrain unticked should do the trick. But I'm guessing it isn't working properly for you? Make sure the subbuilding doesn't have flatten terrain ticked either - that could be what's up. Could you perhaps grab a screenshot of the building not behaving like it should? :) 

If you want to get rid of the terraforming when sinking the asset as well, you will need to change the AI of the building to BuildingAI, this is the AI used by pillars, the tradeoff is it won't get wet in the rain.

BuildingAI also seems to have no stats, right? So it won't attract workers/visitors etc? It seems like you have to make that part a sub-building if you wanna use BuildingAI. Would be nice if there was something in-between... where you could use normal templates, but not effect the terrain. :(

Let's keep talking about this. Even after completing Jahn Sportpark (which is mostly sunken, has sub-buildings, and uses all of these tricks), I'm facing the issue again with my Treptowers 1:1 model (check my twitter if you're curious), and I'm still not sure how I want to approach it and what the best and least stress-inducing solution should be. The Treptowers is a large office complex (probably needs at least 4 sub-buildings) that sits on the Spree river. The Spree-side of the building sinks down to the level of the river quay, while most of the rest of the building is about 7.5m higher, at the level of the surrounding streets.

This image shows the street level, how the building sinks down to the river,  and my proposed sub-building slices (indicated by the different colored planes). As you can see, I've made my own extended base below what should be seen, as I plan to use the no-base shader. In the Back Ortho view on the right, the part you should see is textured beige and the part you shouldn't see is grey.

trep-slice-proposal.jpg

Things I'm thinking about:

1. The buildings can't, under any circumstances, $%&^! up the terrain.

2. They should accept props on all surfaces.

3. Not sure if they should be released as one asset or 3-5 separate assets.

4. Not sure which parts should use which templates (monument or BuildingAI).

5. I don't like how sub-buildings get different night-lighting palette colors. That really drives me nuts tbh, and I want to avoid it here if possible.  The night lighting patterns are one of my favorite parts about this building and I want them to blend as one and not range ridiculously from blue to yellow.

:/ How would you guys approach this?

i know right... :(

Posting that helped me tho. So if I want one lighting color, I have to have one big building. That was helpful to realize. So I'm starting from there and now I'm thinking about invisible sub-buildings to be able to place props on the structures outside of the initial 16x8 sector grid.

Shame that it seems impossible to do a big unified project (same lighting) and also offer modular sub-buildings in one asset. 

• Original Poster
  • Hi again ...

i have a project with a lot of glass and i wanted illuminate the interior. So i exported all Glass and imported it with the rotor shader - but the shader dont allow light to passing trough. So i put my project on halt.

Some day ago i saw 220herz new parking Garage with Glass and lights behind. So my question - how is it done ??

Is he working with alphamaps?

any help is appreciated :)

pg.jpg

1 hour ago, Miccrosshill said:

Hi again ...

i have a project with a lot of glass and i wanted illuminate the interior. So i exported all Glass and imported it with the rotor shader - but the shader dont allow light to passing trough. So i put my project on halt.

Some day ago i saw 220herz new parking Garage with Glass and lights behind. So my question - how is it done ??

Is he working with alphamaps?

any help is appreciated :)

pg.jpg

Still this is the same shader as there is no other semi-transparent shader available. I guess you ran into an problem by using sub-buildings. If you lay a sub-building (for example the glass part) onto the main building which feature light-props their light will magically "disappear" - this kinda happens in the "blue spot" of the sub-buildings footprint you see while adding a sub-building to your main building. I ran into this problem on my terminal too. I guess that you could try to change the objects pivot point on y axis to some spot further away and/or use the smallest possible footprint (1x1) on your glass sub-building asset. Guess he used that option :)