mattb325

Another term for "Reacted"?

6 posts in this topic Last Reply

Slightly off topic, but is it possible to change the word 'reacted'? in the settings, to say, 'acknowledged' or something similar?

With the site change, whenever I see so-and-so 'reacted' in the settings, I always think of something a little more sinister as the words 'react/reacted/reaction' do not connote something neutral (much less positive), as in: 'this child is having an anaphylactic reaction to the peanuts' or 'she reacted poorly to my sexist joke' or 'North Korea reacted to Dumbold Trump's latest tweet by pointing ICBMs at Guam'

*:P

7 minutes ago, mattb325 said:

... is it possible to change the word 'reacted'?

I do miss the instant gratification of so-and-so liked a post. *:blush:  I, too, would be in favor of something besides reacted. It does imply a negative vibe. How about responded emotely? :}

(Tho I'm unaware if it can be changed or not. That's above my pay grade.)

29 minutes ago, mattb325 said:

Slightly off topic, but is it possible to change the word 'reacted'? in the settings, to say, 'acknowledged' or something similar?

Have you seen them called something different elsewhere? 

17 minutes ago, CorinaMarie said:

I do miss the instant gratification of so-and-so liked a post. *:blush:  I, too, would be in favor of something besides reacted. It does imply a negative vibe. How about responded emotely? :}

(Tho I'm unaware if it can be changed or not. That's above my pay grade.)

Yes, it can be easily changed.

But the current parlance for these things is "reacted" (e.g. usgamer.net is one place I recall seeing them)

Discord chat and Slack both call them react and reactions

It's really the most accurate term.  Any negative connotation of "reaction" I think is purely personal and not universal.

If anyone can provide an alternative that's accurate, I'll consider it.

A reaction implies something of the same force in the oposite direction. Therefore you expect certain actions, not any, as a reaction - f.e. you write a letter to your gouvernement and you expect not to be ignored but get something in return on the same level - a letter or a phone call.

Sometimes some basic reading can help to get an understanding, a feeling for the meaning of words.

The relation between action and reaction it's not only causality but also a balance of energy - a reaction is recognized by having the same force as the initial action. Therefore in physics as in social life it's always possible to see the relation between action and reaction in both ways. Like you can determine the initial force by the reaction in physics the same is valid on social behavior - on adequacy of human behavior. F.e. you listen to the conversation of two people and you don't understand the question of first one but the second on answers: "It's raining." So you can imagine what the question was. Or also - when learning a language often you have as an exercice where you have given answers and you must think of a question that could match the answer. So as in physics you have a balance  of forces you have an equivalent of meanings on social behavior, language,  you have an intentional relation between actions to make them reactions. 

But can you reconstruct the message of a post the same way from the reputation point given? So is it a reaction regarding intention?

Like you ask: can I have a coffee? and the answer is "Sorry, my dog is still asleep." It's in doubt if this is a reaction to your question or just a statement not linked to your question and therefore not a reaction but a separate action.

Therefore I can understand those saying ratings or judgements of posts aren't reaction on the intentional level. It's basically the question if signals and symbols can substitute the conversation with words. Well, to have an urgent question an to get a head banging llama in return - many people won't regard this as a satisfying answer and therefore not a reaction to the question but only to the post.

So one could say - in the world of meanings, in the world of words - the relation between action and reaction must be done with words and to push buttons to like or dislike may create opinion but doesn't create sense. 

So it might be a good idear - in social forums - to preserve the term 'reaction' on behavior of a certain substance regarding communication.

I imagine news in tv and the anchor man says - "let's see the lastest reactions on this case" and then you see a window full of smilies. On content, on facts and circumstances it's not really what you expect.

Then again, like a lot of words in English, react has more than one definition, it's technically correct.

That said, personal or otherwise, seeing "X Reacted..." just doesn't sound right to me, perhaps because "liked" was simply a much more positive word, react seems negative by comparison?