Horus_Kol

Chelsea - Update 10: Over the River

24 posts in this topic Last Reply

I've been lurking about the forums for a good long while since my last journal (which, unfortunately, is not to be resurrected) - and trying out a few different approaches to the game before settling on a style/gameplay that hopefully will be sustainable in between real life. I think Delvedene failed because it was far too ambitious - finding all the perfect mods and assets, along with the micro-management of things like farms and stuff got in the way of enjoying the game.

So, I'm playing one of the vanilla maps, unlocking everything (including all 25 areas - I was hoping to use Area Enabler, but that's broken since the last DLC, so I had to spend most of my money buying all the areas - on the other hand, having a reasonably limited amount of money helps me to prevent just wallpapering the map with cityscape :) ), and removing all the highways and railway.

What I like about the vanilla maps is that they offer wide grassland areas surrounded by woods, which offer a natural limit to town growth. Contours are also a good guide (anyone know how to get the game to keep contours on display when laying down road?) What I don't like about the vanilla maps is the prebuilt highway network. I also don't like the rate at which you unlock new areas with population growth: you end up being forced into super dense small towns.

----

Chelsea

The town of Chelsea currently stretches along one main road (which will go on to connect to another town by the river later - below the image), with three other roads: the first, leading into Stepano (right of the image) - the industrial estate where most of the Chelsea residents work; another leading to the Cockerell farms (top left); and the third heading off to where yet another town is planned (to the left).

In the background you can see Mt Chelsea.

38gbyyV.jpg

Chelsea again, from a different angle (Stepano to the bottom). You can see a thin belt of trees separating Chelsea from another grassland area where the next town is planned (mid-left). In the background is Mt Runcorn, where an old fortification sits (put there by the map designers, but just outside the 25 tile limit).

xgbRN9y.jpg

And a closeup of the Chelsea Cemetary, surrounded by some parklands (open space is going to be a big deal in these towns - I am desperately trying to avoid wall-to-wall buildings).

TDZmvh5.jpg

• Original Poster
  • 17 hours ago, Pluispixel said:

Nice city, I'd love to see more!

Unfortunately, that's impossible in vanilla, but there's this mod: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=877748783&searchtext= Hope that helps.

Thanks - well, I do have a couple more updates up my sleeve so you'll be seeing a bit more for sure.

Thanks for the link, too.

• Original Poster
  • Update 2: Runcorn

(as an aside - I've been trying to find a mod that can remove the industrial smog - I've found the purple remover, but would also like to be able to get rid of those mucky brown bits)

The valley plain below the site of the old Ft Runcorn was a perfect site for a town - especially as it sat between the established farm estates of Cockerell and a newly discovered lode of minerals. So Runcorn was built.

Here we see the new town, along with the Victorix mine and power station at the top of the image (Cockerell towards the bottom and Chelsea is just peeking in on the left).

N1pYoe1.jpg

Edcuation seems to be important to the miners, so not only was Runcorn built with an elementary school, but a high school, too. This saved the new residents from having to pack up their kids every semester to the boarding school along the coast. Runcorn's development council are also just as keen to promote green space as Chelsea.

YI2KbEP.jpg

Both Chelsea and Runcorn need feeding, and the Cockerell estates have expanded to meet the demand:

wp2fjEp.jpg

While Runcorn is slowly being establish, the Chelsea development council have also been encouraging growth, as can be seen in the satellite view below. New housing along the Cockerell road, and starting to fill in between the main roads. The Stepano industrial estate has also doubled in size:

juC7XgZ.jpg

Finally, a photo from a couple of keen hillwalkers - the first is from Ft Runcorn and the second from Mt Chelsea (if you look in the satellite view above, you can see Ft Runcorn to the top left and Mt Chelsea is in the top right).

hcNQMIw.jpg

4Or4VZ6.jpg

• Original Poster
  • Update 3: Chetana - down by the river

The Chelsea river is still quite swift and cuts deep right before it opens into the estuary - and a small community has decided to build above the river. Chetana:

E2L3C2U.jpg

It's sure looks pretty to fly over at night:

dSUKq80.jpg

Another satellite shot - there's been a bit more growth in Chelsea, and the Victorix mines have expanded between Runcorn and Chetana. There's also a new industrial estate just next to Runcorn:

h4LaWfr.jpg

I decided to have a walk up Mt Chelsea and watch the sunset:

i32BGXd.jpg

7rxJw50.jpg

I'm starting to get some complaints about traffic noise - surprisingly, while there's only one main road into the area right through Chelsea, and the traffic map is showing a lot of red, there's no traffic jams (yet):

nDBU6Iy.jpg

• Original Poster
  • Update 4 - Horgos

Oil was discovered up the Chelsea River, so a new town sprung up to provide the oil workers a place to live without having to drive all the way from Chelsea (though, some of them do).

DZHi3Dl.jpg

The Grand Circle:

ltWbunt.jpg

Satellite view:

xQOMozS.jpg

Another aerial shot:

NOeEl17.jpg

• Original Poster
  • Update 5 - The Highway Update

Now that I've got a string of towns along one side of the map, and seeing all the traffic heading through Chelsea was starting to make the cims sick from the noise pollution, I figured it was time to start building a highway to move traffic more efficiently. The map has external connections near Chelsea and Horgos, so it was a (relatively) simple matter of building a highway from A to B.

I think I need to get Road Anarchy - and I really wish I'd waited until the Mass Transit DLC before attempting this, the road guides really would have been useful with some of the bends and layout.

Here you can see the overall route - I could have gone the other way around Chelsea and Runcorn, but I needed a connection for Chetana and I also wanted to stay on the more level plains than venture into the slopes above Chelsea.

Hj54182.jpg

The first two junctions are pretty simple - a limited exit junction leading onto Chelsea's main thoroughfare, and another one to feed the industrial estate:

nPU69ds.jpg

The Chetana/Chelsea junction was also not to hard:

MqbuKCs.jpg

The planners were regretting the decisions made about siting the Ducasse industrial park so close to Runcorn - the Victorix mine was not going to allow the highway through their land, and getting a highway junction to serve Victorix/Ducasse/Runcorn was going to be a tight squeeze:

c3jbZXN.jpg

The planners decided to try and keep it simple with a view to upgrade based on road usage surveys (hint: this is not the final configuration - future updates on the way). However, they were forced to relocate the road maintenance depot and the bus depot:

ZgC14Qh.jpg

The second Runcorn interchange was trivial by comparison - although, siting it on top of an ancient fork in the roadways still proved a slight challenge - changing the fork to a roundabout ruffled a few feathers with the Historic Roadways Society - but they only have 3 members after splitting from the Ancient Trails Group over whether it should be jam and cream or cream and jam on scones:

LogWj8m.jpg

And now for my least favourite junction - I wanted each junction to be a bit different, and to experiment around with design a bit. This one just didn't want to work. It's getting even worse as I play on, as a second highway starts from this junction to reach out across the map (spoilers ;) ):

aHeSXMc.jpg

And then, on to my favourite - the last major junction outside of Horgos before the limit interchange on the way out of the map. Disappointed with the previous junction, I spent quite some time thinking this one through and getting the sweep of the feeders just right:

RtefNvW.jpg

19 hours ago, Horus_Kol said:

And now for my least favourite junction - I wanted each junction to be a bit different, and to experiment around with design a bit. This one just didn't want to work. It's getting even worse as I play on, as a second highway starts from this junction to reach out across the map (spoilers ;) ):

aHeSXMc.jpg

A few things that might make this interchange look, and probably function better.

A: I would reduce the size of the roundabout, particularly the width. Bring the sides in closer to the highway, making it more of a rounded rectangle, or even just a slightly smaller circle.

B: I would build the land up under the ramps and sides of the roundabout. You'll get smoother grades that way. You could do this one of two ways:

1. Use the terraform tool to build up under the elevated parts, leaving them higher.
    2. Or if you have the 'Move-It' mod, you could sink the highway down so you can have the roundabout at ground level.

C: I would extend the on and off ramps connecting to the highway, making them probably about half again longer, then push the ends of the bypasses out in the same direction, making the transition between the two smoother. Also, I would use the two-lane highway for the on/off ramps before/after where the bypasses and ramps meet to more smoothly bring those two converging lanes together.

D: You also might consider smoothing the land out under the interchange. There are a few places where the land looks a little rough underneath.

That's what I would try to improve both the look and function.

• Original Poster
  • On 5/30/2017 at 4:17 AM, Matthias King said:

A few things that might make this interchange look, and probably function better.

A: I would reduce the size of the roundabout, particularly the width. Bring the sides in closer to the highway, making it more of a rounded rectangle, or even just a slightly smaller circle.

B: I would build the land up under the ramps and sides of the roundabout. You'll get smoother grades that way. You could do this one of two ways:

1. Use the terraform tool to build up under the elevated parts, leaving them higher.
    2. Or if you have the 'Move-It' mod, you could sink the highway down so you can have the roundabout at ground level.

C: I would extend the on and off ramps connecting to the highway, making them probably about half again longer, then push the ends of the bypasses out in the same direction, making the transition between the two smoother. Also, I would use the two-lane highway for the on/off ramps before/after where the bypasses and ramps meet to more smoothly bring those two converging lanes together.

D: You also might consider smoothing the land out under the interchange. There are a few places where the land looks a little rough underneath.

That's what I would try to improve both the look and function.

All good advice - thanks.

I've tried using the Terraform Tool a little bit - it's an improvement on the stock terraforming, but still seems quite heavyhanded. I'll check out "Move-It". I also tried a Roads Anarchy mod from the workshop, but it doesn't want to work with the Mass Transit DLC.

• Original Poster
  • Update 6: Wilmott

The expansion into the region continues with Wilmott - across the highway from Horgos. I've settled into an approach where a couple of main roads are laid down and zoned in each new town, and I go back and fill-in the existing towns a bit more, too. Horgos and Chelsea got some significant new build going - and Runcorn and Chetana also expanded a bit:

s1WlvlS.jpg

808eWo5.jpg

The Runcorn-Ducasse-Victorix exits on the highway needed an upgrade - with the exits being on top of each other, it took a bit of interleaving of the exit ramps, but it was worth it, with the traffic being more evenly balanced. It also helped that a new road connecting the exits to the farms up at Cockerell allowed farm traffic to bypass Runcorn and Chelsea (especially after Runcorn banned heavy traffic through the town):

VcBW54I.jpg

11 minutes ago, Horus_Kol said:

All good advice - thanks.

I've tried using the Terraform Tool a little bit - it's an improvement on the stock terraforming, but still seems quite heavyhanded. I'll check out "Move-It". I also tried a Roads Anarchy mod from the workshop, but it doesn't want to work with the Mass Transit DLC.

I recommend 'Fine Road Anarchy' and 'Fine Road Tool,' both by @SamsamTS. They should both be compatible with MT. They both work for me since the update.

Sorry, I don't know how to quote just a portion of long post, but you had mentioned further up that you wanted a mod to remove the air portion of industrial pollution.  There may be several mods that get this done, but if you haven't found something else you like in the meanwhile, then you may want BloodyPenguin's Clouds & Fog Toggler.  One of its four options is getting rid of industrial smog.  It doesn't eliminate the smokestack effect, but it does eliminate the haze that I myself found both visually unpleasant and unrepresentative (at least in degree) of anything you'd have found in the first world for 30+ years now.  Here's a pic of an interface between an industrial zone in my current city and some commercial and empty spaces that shows steam and smoke coming out of stacks but without the smog or purple ground (addressed by a different mod).

592f72a2ac90b_Noindustrialsmog.thumb.jpg.9281fdf89f8d81c6311a04d5cb1ce278.jpghttps://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=523824395&searchtext=cloud+and+fog+toggler

• Original Poster
  • 2 hours ago, Matthias King said:

I recommend 'Fine Road Anarchy' and 'Fine Road Tool,' both by @SamsamTS. They should both be compatible with MT. They both work for me since the update.

Thanks - subscribing now... will check them out tonight

16 minutes ago, JohnAkaMrP said:

Sorry, I don't know how to quote just a portion of long post, but you had mentioned further up that you wanted a mod to remove the air portion of industrial pollution.  There may be several mods that get this done, but if you haven't found something else you like in the meanwhile, then you may want BloodyPenguin's Clouds & Fog Toggler.  One of its four options is getting rid of industrial smog.  It doesn't eliminate the smokestack effect, but it does eliminate the haze that I myself found both visually unpleasant and unrepresentative (at least in degree) of anything you'd have found in the first world for 30+ years now.  Here's a pic of an interface between an industrial zone in my current city and some commercial and empty spaces that shows steam and smoke coming out of stacks but without the smog or purple ground (addressed by a different mod).

Also thanks - I don't mind the smokestacks, but that default brown haze is over the top, really - I'll give the mod a go. PS - that's a nice city there

• Original Poster
  • Update 7: Bermin and Besmin

Regional population is now 20,900 - and I'm having a lot of fun now that the improved road tools have been added in the Mass Transit update.

Another big open space to fill - I was surprised when zooming in to discover that there was a stonehenge there. Of course, I had to put a crossroads near it (historical rights of way):

RLLqg5h.jpg

A couple of aerial shots - Bermin is in the bottom, and Besmin is the small satellite town just above it and on the river bank:

VhBOYG0.jpg

And the henge is gone (it will be more obvious where it should be later as I incorporate it into Bermin). There's some prime farmland here for the taking, too.

xNdAYGe.jpg

And here's the cemetery gardens at Wilmott:

YwbRuge.jpg

Hey, old friend!  Stonehenge, heh!  Brilliant!  Now you'll need preservationist approval for everything, and it'll take years to get that.

Seriously, glad to see that you're still CJing.  I'm enjoying your small village/open space approach.  I wish that the world was more like that, alas.  Anyway, see you around the CJ section.

Cheers!

David

• Original Poster
  • On 2017-6-8 at 3:32 PM, dedgren said:

Hey, old friend!  Stonehenge, heh!  Brilliant!  Now you'll need preservationist approval for everything, and it'll take years to get that.

Seriously, glad to see that you're still CJing.  I'm enjoying your small village/open space approach.  I wish that the world was more like that, alas.  Anyway, see you around the CJ section.

Cheers!

David

Good to see you back here, too - sorry that you've had a bit of a rough time out in the real world.

I've really only just got back into journalling myself, to be honest - and there seems to have been a renaissance here with some brilliant work.

• Original Poster
  • Update 8: Petticoat Junction and Montreal

The Chelsea region is now at 25,000 inhabitants.

Petticoat Junction (bottom right) is a mid-sized town next to Bermin, and Montreal (bottom left) is a more of a collection of holiday homes hugging the shore of Lake Montreal. You can also see new farmland being allocated on the road between Wilmott and Bermin, and a bit of filling in around Wilmott:

ngFjEoi.jpg

View from Lake Montreal towards Ft Runcorn:

Sbem5C3.jpg

And from above Ft Runcorn out towards Bermin:

ZVK2ECu.jpg

Jessamine is going to look like that, H_K, except even less dense.  I wish we had better open space preservation laws in the United States, though.  There's things going on in that part of the country that I can hardly bear to look at on Google maps.  Very nice work, as always.

I answered your "terraforming terrain from the ground up" question on my CJ in the post itself where I first responded.  Don't know if you saw it.

David

• Original Poster
  • 8 hours ago, dedgren said:

Jessamine is going to look like that, H_K, except even less dense.  I wish we had better open space preservation laws in the United States, though.  There's things going on in that part of the country that I can hardly bear to look at on Google maps.  Very nice work, as always.

I answered your "terraforming terrain from the ground up" question on my CJ in the post itself where I first responded.  Don't know if you saw it.

David

Thanks - although as I've pretty much sited all the towns (or will have over the next couple of updates), I'm going to be expanding the towns outwards. I plan on leaving a decent greenbelt, though.

I've seen your "ground up" post - will take a closer look later and try it out on my own map for Adelaide.

• Original Poster
  • Update 9: Astoria

Down where the Montreal River flows into the Chelsea Estuary we have the picturesque town of Astoria, with homes sitting right up on the cliff edge. The lighthouse is also a popular spot for Sunday walks.

xTxzyfv.jpg

So, about two-thirds of the map has been surveyed and towns have been sited.

G4qCsY2.jpg

A highway has been extended from Horgos out towards Bermin and Besmin:

nfx1DmK.jpg

And Besmin has undergone some expansion, with a bridge connecting it to Chetana - this cuts a long loop on the highway, but surprisingly isn't used all that much. 

NADgLRW.jpg

Here we can see how Besmin has created a space around the ancient henge:

83Ckjry.jpg

And finally - even with only 25,000 or so inhabitants, each town's graveyard is struggling a little. Some town councils have adopted crematorium, but Horgos have opted to simple extend their main cemetary (like so many other things like parks and farms, it would be nice to be able to "paint" an arbitrary graveyard (to a max size) rather than use repetitive rectangles).

There seems to a problem with putting the last image in from imgur... :(

I see dead people...

More quality CJing, H_K.  I'm looking at it in a little phone screen waiting at the airport and it still looks great.

David

• Original Poster
  • Update 10: Over the River

Expanding out over the river beyond Petticoat Junction, and we have two new towns (can't remember the names right now - will have to come back and fix that).

I've also extended the highway spur to go around Bermin and past Petticoat Junction,  over the river and on to the external connector in the corner of the map. Through traffic is starting to become a problem, though. (I love the new traffic destination tool - helps with planning). And there's a small spur towards Montreal and Wilmott, too.

JgcSmz9.jpg

A long view from Hortos across the region (if you look carefully at the interchange near Hortos, you might notice it getting a bit gnarly) - Chelsea/Runcorn one the left, Wilmott to the centre right:

uigacEo.jpg

And finally, a nice postcard shot from Mt Chelsea:

nB2eagY.jpg

Now that the towns are pretty much all sited (I think there's space for one more), I'm starting to lose a bit of steam. There's the temptation to simply block out a massive grid now, which must be fought... also, I've reached a point where I need to plan a highway bypass for the through traffic - and also a decent rail network. I've been mucking about in a couple of throwaway cities to get to grips with terraforming, and the road anarchy and move-it mods.

On 6/25/2017 at 3:45 PM, Horus_Kol said:

Update 10: Over the River

<snip>

Now that the towns are pretty much all sited (I think there's space for one more), I'm starting to lose a bit of steam. There's the temptation to simply block out a massive grid now, which must be fought... also, I've reached a point where I need to plan a highway bypass for the through traffic - and also a decent rail network. I've been mucking about in a couple of throwaway cities to get to grips with terraforming, and the road anarchy and move-it mods.

Or you could just spend a couple of months slowly and carefully detailing all the "empty" land beyond the village limits.  That's the appeal for me, I guess.  It may not be everyone's cup of tea.

David