Sign in to follow this  
Deimos2k13

100.000.000 income?!?!?

11 posts in this topic Last Reply

Hi all, I started my SC4 with my region after a while, I wasn't aware of the gigantic income I was having before today: 100000000 simoleons per month!!! I'm unable to find out where those money come from... except the fact it is shown under the Business Deals voice, named "building":

income.png

The arrow points to the BD voice under the previous menu, and in this screenshot I haven't ANY plugins active, just took them out of the way to see if there was some issues with one of them, but no, it's still there...

Anyone of you has an idea of what causes that brutally big income? 

I have a total of four populated maps in my region, plus one completely empty created on purpose, and in all the other maps this income isn't there, so the issue is only in this one... I just don't want to start over a new map, I spent too much time creating this city, and I would like to turn back to the previous (and more realistic for sure) monthly income.

Seems like a Building Reward bug to me... Anyway I just can't ignore it! :D Any ideas?

Tnx a lot in advance

That's new and I've never encountered it.  However, some lot must do it, and since you don't have it identified you can't find out who the joker is.  Whoever he is, he has ruined your game.  This thing is essentially a Trojan horse.  STEX moderators???

Do you have any lots not got from a recognized site?  Perhaps something you found by Googling?

You may have previously had a plugin installed which adds a huge monthly income boost. If such an item is still plopped in game, the income will remain, even though it's removed from your plugins folder. I've just tested with a "money tree" type lot (which adds a business deal revenue), and this was the case. It's one reason why they're not usually recommended.

Your other cities are probably not affected because the lot wasn't, or is no longer plopped there.

To attempt to fix this, first search and bulldoze any brown boxes in your city. These are clear signs of missing dependencies. If this works, the income should be removed along with the lot, and the city can be saved. Otherwise, the lot might be hidden without a missing model. In which case, close the game and backup your region (the whole folder at: "Documents\SimCity 4\Regions\<region name>") to somewhere safe. Then re-load the city and bulldoze everything. Now if the income is reduced, we'll know the lot is still somewhere in your city.

Exit without saving to the region. It'll then take a process of elimination to locate and remove it.

Hmm.

What exactly does the structure of a SimCity 4 save file look like?  I remember hearing/reading about one of the Maxis programmers who modded SC4 to play in Excel (or some other spreadsheet program).  Essentially, at the core of the game, each tile is really just a cell in a spreadsheet.  What we see when we play is just a graphical disguise put over the spreadsheet that makes the gameplay more intuitive.  What tells each cell how to operate isn't what is graphically drawn on the tile.  Rather, quite the opposite.  What is drawn is the result of what the cell is telling the tile to draw.

Anyway, the point of this is... if SC4 save files aren't too terribly cryptic, the SC4 community could conceivably put together a program that looks at an SC4 tile and can tell you where any non-standard Maxis tiles might be...and then with lots more effort, they could even tell you what tiles are from what plugins.

So this potential program could be very useful in two ways.

On the one hand, someone like Deimos2K13 could run it to help him find a cheat tile he may have placed at some point in time but wishes to get rid of and can't seem to find it.

On the other hand, users having brown box issues could potentially run this program to help identify any missing dependencies (or what mod in their plugin folder to get rid of if they want to get rid of the plugin instead of adding the dependencies).

Is this something that'd even be plausible?  I've never actually opened up an SC4 save file in Notepad to see its contents.

Some people at SC4Devotion may well have delved into this.  Perhaps some kind person here will point you in the right direction.  I would suggest Rivit as a possibility, but this may be taking his name in vain.

Ah, you're right.  I found it.

http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=7400.0

I'm reading about it now.  Looks like there's an available version, but I'm not sure whether it's even still supported or what.  Looks like people were having issues running it with Windows 7, etc.

Nonetheless, it does look like it is POSSIBLE, but even to get it to the point I was talking about (checking plugins, etc) may be very difficult to accomplish.

Ah, you're right.  I found it.

http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=7400.0

I'm reading about it now.  Looks like there's an available version, but I'm not sure whether it's even still supported or what.  Looks like people were having issues running it with Windows 7, etc.

Ah yes, Savegame Explorer.  It works fine with Windows 7 once you update it; see this post for details.

Definitely not a tool for the fainthearted, though.

Yes, it needs the OpenGL public libraries, and is probably written in Python since it also seems to want the Python run time.  I am not that keen anymore.

I would like to suggest that any new external stuff should be written in C# with care for portability so anyone can run it with mono if they don't happen to be on Windoze.  So far, our experiments in that direction with prototypes and experiments for Boomtown have shown this to be portable from Windoze to both OS/X and Linux.

Yes, it needs the OpenGL public libraries, and is probably written in Python since it also seems to want the Python run time.

Yes, Python it is.

I would like to suggest that any new external stuff should be written in C# with care for portability so anyone can run it with mono if they don't happen to be on Windoze.  So far, our experiments in that direction with prototypes and experiments for Boomtown have shown this to be portable from Windoze to both OS/X and Linux.

The one programmer who uses Python extensively over at SC4D is wouanagaine, who is the author of Savegame Explorer, the DatPacker, Cleanitol, PIM-X, etc.  As you can see, he's written some of the most important tools we have.  His activity in the game these days is somewhat sporadic, though, and it's probably unlikely that he'll change his choice of programming language at this point.  He's a member of the BSC and not the NAM Team, although he has worked with the NAM Team from time to time.

Python is portable as well, but when its made into a Windoze executable, the portable stuff seems to get lost.  Python is an important derivative of C++ heavily used in Linux as well.  It lacks the organization of Java for good portability and the generated intermediate code and on-the-fly JIT compilation that works so well with C#.  Of course, anyone who makes a .NET program using Visual Studio, with a little care, can generate a portable program operable under mono on pretty much any platform if you don't fall in love with MS' proprietary libraries.  You can use any supported VS.NET language.