Sign in to follow this  
Ol' Michiganian

What's your local television market?

15 posts in this topic Last Reply

As you know (at least in the U.S. and Canada), a country is divided into many smaller regions called television markets, which determine the coverage areas of local stations located within these markets, most of which are affiliated with a major network.

To start off, I live just a dozen miles from the heart of the Detroit/Windsor (Southeast Michigan) television market, where the U.S. half of it features three O&O stations-CBS owns WWJ (CBS 62) and WKBD (channel 50, CW), while News Corp. owns WJBK (Fox 2). Our AT&T Uverse system has all of the primary Detroit stations (plus the CBC affiliate in Windsor), as well as the PBS affiliate in nearby Flint (WCMZ) in addition to the Detroit PBS (WTVS). Before November 2011 (when we switched providers), we still had two PBS stations, but instead of WCMZ, we had the affiliate in Toledo (WGTE), plus, of course, WTVS. Oddly enough, all of the weather maps in this market seem to include every county in the state of Michigan, but I'm not sure if it's even possible to recieve at least a weak signal from one of these stations in the Upper Peninsula.

Now that I've discussed my market, what is your market like?

Great idea for a topic! I love this kind of stuff.

I live in Philadelphia, so my Market covers a large area that we call the Delaware Valley. The market also covers the Lehigh Valley (north from the DV) and south New Jersey.

In order of the channel number (analog-wise), here's our main over the air stations (excluding LP stations).

-VHF 3: KYW-TV, our CBS O&O. Interesting fact: this and it's AM radio station are the easternmost TV/Radio stations with a call sign beginning with 'K'.

-VHF 6: WPVI-TV, our ABC O&O.

-VHF 10: WCAU-TV, our NBC O&O.

-VHF 12: WHYY-TV, our PBS station.

-UHF 17: WPHL-TV, our MyTV affiliate (formerly a WB station.)

-UHF 23: WNJS-TV, our NJTV station (PBS affiliate).

-UHF 29: WTXF-TV, our Fox O&O.

-UHF 35: WYBE-TV, a completely independent and non-commercial station.

-UHF 39: WLVT-TV, a PBS station catering to the Lehigh Valley.

-UHF 40: WMGM-TV, an NBC affiliate out of Atlantic City, NJ. (Not carried on cable in Philadelphia. However, in South Jersey, both this station and WCAU-TV are carried.)

-UHF 48: WGTW-TV, our TBN affiliate.

-UHF 51: WTVE-TV, an independent station out of Reading, PA.

-UHF 52: WNJT-TV, our other NJTV station out of Trenton. (Not carried on cable in Philadelphia.)

-UHF 57: WPSG-TV, our CW O&O (formerly a UPN station.)

-UHF 60: WBPH-TV, our FamilyNet affiliate.

-UHF 61: WPPX-TV, our Ion affiliate.

-UHF 62: WWSI-TV, our Telemundo O&O.

-UHF 65: WUVP-TV, our Univision O&O.

-UHF 69: WFMZ-TV, an independent station out of Allentown, PA.

*All stations are carried on xfinity cable in Philadelphia unless otherwise noted.

Of course, there are a few LP stations that I didn't list. Most of these stations broadcast from the Roxborough Tower Farm in the Roxborough section of Philadelphia.

Well, my address is in my cartouche to the left.  I have cable service that includes channels from coast to coast including American channels.  Dominant channel here is CBC but I have about 100 others to choose from.  The market is the general Canadian market.  The U.S. channels mostly have their commercials pre-empted and replaced by Canadian commercials, so we don't see ads for things like Krispy Kreme and other U.S. unique outfits.  Target's invasion of Canada is not going well.  They gouge just like all retailers on this side of the border.

In the Netherlands, we have the following television market...

- Nederland 1 (public). All the public channels show a wide range of shows, but this channel is more directed to news and sports.

- Nederland 2 (public). This channel is more directed to culture.

- Nederland 3 (public). This channel is more directed to the younger audience.

- RTL 4. Mainstream entertainment channel, but it's also has a competing news service.

- RTL 5. Pure entertainment channel for if there's no room at RTL 4 for that. This channel tempts to be a bit more... yeah, vulgar...

- RTL 7. Entertainment channel directed to men. Usually shows cheap stuff and lots of movies.

- RTL 8. Entertainmetn channel directed to women. Usually shows some heavy stuff, but usually quite boring.

- SBS 6. Competitor of RTL 4. Does seem to fail at it with the latest concepts...

- Net 5. Same as above, but more directed to women. Also not too successful...

- Veronica. Another entertainment channel for men.

- Discovery Channel. Documentary channel. Most of you know this one too.

- National Geographic Channel. Documentary channel. Most of you know this one too.

- TLC. Another entertainment channel for women.

- MTV... speaks for itself...

- One or two local channels...

We can also receive the following foreign channels:

- Eén (Belgium)

- Canvas (Belgium)

- BBC1 (UK)

- CNN (USA)

- ARD (Germany)

- WDR (Germany)

- TV5 Monde (France)

Best,

Maarten

• Original Poster
  • Since I've noticed that a couple of people have already done lists of stations in their markets, I've decided to do the same for mine, including subchannels (but not the Canadian stations):

• VHF channel 2, WJBK. Our market's Fox O&O. Subchannels include: 2.2, our Movies affiliate, which launched last Memorial Day. (Fast fact: this station originally signed on as a CBS affiliate in 1948 before going over to Fox in 1994 after Fox bought the rights to air the NFL (at least NFC home games, because our only NFL team is in the NFC).)
    • VHF channel 4, WDIV-TV. Our market's NBC station, owned by Post-Newsweek Stations. Subchannels include: 4.2, our This affiliate. (Fast fact: this station is Michigan's oldest T.V. station and the sixth station in the United States to go onto the air (March 1946).)
    • VHF channel 7, WXYZ-TV. Our market's ABC station, owned by the E.W. Scripps Company. Subchannels include: 7.2, our Live Well affiliate and 7.3, our Bounce T.V. affiliate. (Fast fact: from it's 1948 sign-on until 1986 (when it was acquired by the current owners), this station was an O&O.)
    • UHF channel 18, occupied by two stations: WDWO-CD, our market's Tri-State Christain O&O, subchannels include 18.2, the channel's HD feed, 18.3, the channel's Family/Kids feed and 18.4, which shows religious programs in Spanish. Also on 18 is WHTV, our other My Net station, which serves nearby Jackson and Lansing, despite it's transmitter being located in Washtenaw County, served by our market.
    • UHF channel 20, WMYD. Our market's My Net station (formerly affiliated with WB), owned by Granite Broadcasting.
    • UHF channel 23, WUDT-LD. Our market's Daystar O&O.
    • UHF channel 31, WPXD-TV. Our market's Ion O&O. Subchannels include: 31.2, our Qubo affiliate and 31.3, our Ion Life affiliate.
    • UHF channel 33, W33BY (WHPR), an independent station.
    • UHF channel 38, WADL, another independent station, owned by Adell Broadcasting.
    • UHF channel 40, WLPC-LD, our My Family T.V. affiliate.
    • UHF channel 47, W47DL-D, our Trinity Broadcasting O&O. Subchannels include 47.2, our JCTV affiliate, 47.3, our Smile affiliate, 47.4, our Church Channel affiliate and 47.5, our Enlace affiliate.
    • UHF channel 48, W48AV, our other Ion O&O, basically a repeater of WPXD-TV.
    • UHF channel 50, WKBD-TV, our CW O&O (formerly affiliated with UPN and before that, Fox), a duopoly with WWJ-TV.
    • UHF channel 56, WTVS-TV, our PBS affiliate. Subchannels include 56.2, basically the national PBS feed and 56.3, our Create affiliate.
    • UHF channel 62, WWJ-TV, our CBS O&O. (Fast fact: this was an independent station (as WGPR) until 1994, when CBS took affiliation after being forced off WJBK after that station affiliated with Fox.)

Great idea for a topic! I love this kind of stuff.

I live in Philadelphia, so my Market covers a large area that we call the Delaware Valley. The market also covers the Lehigh Valley (north from the DV) and south New Jersey.

In order of the channel number (analog-wise), here's our main over the air stations (excluding LP stations).

-VHF 3: KYW-TV, our CBS O&O. Interesting fact: this and it's AM radio station are the easternmost TV/Radio stations with a call sign beginning with 'K'.

-VHF 6: WPVI-TV, our ABC O&O.

-VHF 10: WCAU-TV, our NBC O&O.

-VHF 12: WHYY-TV, our PBS station.

-UHF 17: WPHL-TV, our MyTV affiliate (formerly a WB station.)

-UHF 23: WNJS-TV, our NJTV station (PBS affiliate).

-UHF 29: WTXF-TV, our Fox O&O.

-UHF 35: WYBE-TV, a completely independent and non-commercial station.

-UHF 39: WLVT-TV, a PBS station catering to the Lehigh Valley.

-UHF 40: WMGM-TV, an NBC affiliate out of Atlantic City, NJ. (Not carried on cable in Philadelphia. However, in South Jersey, both this station and WCAU-TV are carried.)

-UHF 48: WGTW-TV, our TBN affiliate.

-UHF 51: WTVE-TV, an independent station out of Reading, PA.

-UHF 52: WNJT-TV, our other NJTV station out of Trenton. (Not carried on cable in Philadelphia.)

-UHF 57: WPSG-TV, our CW O&O (formerly a UPN station.)

-UHF 60: WBPH-TV, our FamilyNet affiliate.

-UHF 61: WPPX-TV, our Ion affiliate.

-UHF 62: WWSI-TV, our Telemundo O&O.

-UHF 65: WUVP-TV, our Univision O&O.

-UHF 69: WFMZ-TV, an independent station out of Allentown, PA.

*All stations are carried on xfinity cable in Philadelphia unless otherwise noted.

Of course, there are a few LP stations that I didn't list. Most of these stations broadcast from the Roxborough Tower Farm in the Roxborough section of Philadelphia.

Mine is the same. Only i get The New York City stations as well as the Philadelphia stations.

Well, all the german programmes of course, some from czech republic, ORF1 and ORF2(both austria), arte, BBC world news, CNN int., some very strange adult channels ;), and about 2000 other programmes of which about half are locked and require a password to receive. This is DVB-S, of course.

Here on the Izu Peninsula we get a local town channel (12), plus two versions each of Fuji TV, Nittere (Nippon TV/NTV), Asahi TV, and NHK News (Tokyo and local Shizuoka).  We also get NHK E-tere (educational television) and Tokyo Broadcasting (TBS).  There's a channel showing infomercials and various local shows from different regions that has no name I know of (channel 3) and that's it!  All the TV remotes here have 12 buttons, one for each station.  It's probably very similar across Japan, with each prefecture having their own special Fuji TV or Nittere or Asahi TV.  I can't remember what Shizuoka's is, because I rarely watch TV these days.

Covington TN (Memphis DMA)

WREG 3 (CBS) Tribune

WMC 5 (NBC) Raycom

WKNO 10 (PBS)

WHBQ 13 (FOX) Cox Media

WTWV 14 (Ind.) ???

WATN 24 (ABC) Nexstar

WLMT 30 (CW) Nexstar

WWTW 34 (Ind.) ??? - COL Senatobia MS

WBUY 40 (TBN O&O) - COL Holly Springs MS

WPXX 50 (ION O&O)

Edited by mvcg66b3r  

Lels. There are only three major TV channels I receive in my city, at least stations that I do give a care about.

DXTE - TV - TV 5 - Which was ABC before. Nothing to comment much about. 

DXEC -TV - ABS-CBN - seemingly have bias news programs but the content of the dramas and others are fine

DXLX - TV - GMA 7 - good news program  but sometimes the other shows are plainly nonsense -_-

I pity the media industry in the Philippines, contents are degrading every year. 

With Sky Sat TV [The ones I can remember from the top of my head]

- History Channel

- National Geographic

- Food TV

- Discovery Channel

- Arts Channel

- Travel Channel

- Comedy Central

- Cartoon Network

- Other kids channels

- Disney Channel

- Parliament TV

- TV3

- TV2 [tvnz]

- One [tvnz]

- Prime

- C4

- Four

- Māori Television

- Parliament TV

- CNN

- Aljazeera

- Fox News

- UKTV

- BBC Knowledge

- etc etc etc Sat television channels i don't watch, with other packages that include more channels etc etc.

Without Sky Sat [standard Digital NZ Channels with the most creative names]

- TV3

- TV2 [tvnz]

- One [tvnz]

- Prime

- C4

- Four

- Māori Television

Television here gets really bland, regardless that you have sat tv or not. So many re-runs, shopping and infomercials, and ugh. I'm not much for watching TV these day as I am playing a game as if it were a film. :P

I do however like watching NGC and Cartoon Network [For Adventure Time, b/c come on it's a pretty good show XD ]

San Antonio, Texas, can claim only a medium-sized television, for despite the size of the city proper, the expansive metropolitan area is mostly suburban and rural with a dramatically low population density.  This reality of the size of its media market is also the primary reason cited for San Antonio not having a NFL American football team, despite how much San Antonio tried to attract one by building the Alamodome.

Full-power, over-the-air, digital television broadcasters:

2 - VHF 5 - KCWX (formerly KBEJ) - MyNetworkTV (formerly UPN, CW) - Based in Fredericksburg, but with transmitters in San Antonio and Austin.
    4 - UHF 48 - WOAI-TV (formerly KMOL-TV) - NBC - Former television sister of WOAI-AM (1200 AM) clear-channel radio, the first station of San Antonio-based Clear Channel Communications, now the largest owner of radio stations in the U.S.
    5 - UHF 39 - KENS-TV - CBS - Closely tied to the San Antonio Express-News daily newspaper.
    9 - VHF 9 - KLRN - PBS - Originally also dual-served Austin, until a separate KLRU system for Austin was spun off.
    12 - VHF 12 - KSAT-TV (formerly KONO-TV) - ABC - Once tied to KONO-AM (860 AM) and KONO-FM (101.1 FM) radio.  I tend towards this channel.
    17 - UHF 18 - KNIC-DT - UniMás (formerly TeleFutura) - Spanish-language television tied to Univision.
    23 - UHF 16 - KHCE-TV - TBN - Religious ministries programming.
    26 - UHF 26 - KPXL - Ion (formerly Pax TV)
    29 - UHF 30 - KABB - Fox
    35 - UHF 32 - KMYS (formerly KRRT) - CW (formerly Fox, UPN, WB) - Based in Kerrville, this originally was San Antonio's first independent station.  This was also once the go-to channel for "Star Trek" and other science fiction fantasy fare.
    41 - UHF 41 - KWEX-DT (formerly KCOR-TV) - Univision - The founding station of Spanish-language Univision, the first non-English television broadcaster in the U.S.  Recent attempts to save the old Univision Building in San Antonio from demolition and redevelopment by designating it a historic landmark were not successful.  Univision has long since moved its headquarters from provincial San Antonio to New York City.

60 - UHF 38 - KVDA - Telemundo

Cable distributed television:

Time Warner Cable (formerly Paragon Cable) - Infamous in San Antonio for creating, while as Paragon Cable, one of the most god-awful, brain-melting commercial jingles ever.  All these years later, and I can still hear it chiming along with a hokey cowboy drawl:  "What's that I hear coming?  I hear cable coming!  Power, power, pow!"  Children and adults covered their eyes and ears in agony at every commercial break.  Time Warner Cable has long enjoyed a near total monopoly on cable television in San Antonio.  They also offer cable internet, however, they have recently changed their pricing scheme such that previously issued Time Warner cable modem boxes must be now be leased separately from their subscribed internet service, an effective price hike that has sent customers fleeing to instead buy their own compatible cable modems.

Comcast - They are here somewhere, but their network footprint is simply dwarfed by that of Time Warner Cable.  Recent national news outlets report that Comcast is currently seeking to purchase Time Warner Cable, which would merge the nation's two largest cable companies into a cable television monster.  This is not expected to bring relief to customer bills, but is aimed at creating leverage against networks and licensing fees.  Comcast is currently busy lobbing regulators to assure them that the newly merged megacorp will not act like a content-restrictive, anti-competitive monopoly.

AT&T U-verse - The newly reconstituted AT&T was headquartered in San Antonio and used the city as a testing ground for many of its new services and technologies, such as the fiber-optic "U-verse" network bundling broadband internet with internet telephone and television, which San Antonio received a few years earlier before nationwide deployment.  AT&T has since outgrown provincial San Antonio and, after the 2007 retirement of San Antonio-resident and longtime CEO Ed Whitacre, moved its corporate headquarters to Dallas, where the new and younger executive leadership could jet set among the international corporate elite.  More recently, AT&T tested its higher-speed 300 Mps to 1 Gps "GigaPower" internet service in nearby Austin, and announced this month that it will expand this new service to 21 cities, including San Antonio.