Sign in to follow this  
rockstar416

Is there a way to change city tile size? I want more space for my main city!

13 posts in this topic Last Reply

Hey guys, I’ve been working on my main city in 1 “large city” tile for quite some time. I’ve followed the “city is an island” type of development, where I’ve tried to build everything in one tile. That’s because I’m not sure how the game mechanics work in terms of city tile borders. I figure after a city tile all the way out on the edge won’t affect the main city in the centre at all. Plus I really only care about my main city, and not so much the entire region. The only reason why I have neighbour cities is to stimulate growth in my main city (and to get rid of the polluting coal plants :)).

However, I’m finding that I don’t have enough room to do what I want in my main city with just one large city tile. So I’m wondering what I should do about it.

I’m thinking of doing the following:

1. Change the main city tile size if possible. This is what I’m wondering, if I’m able to change the city tile size, or if the large city tile is preset. If I’m able to change the size, then I’ll have more land and space to do what I want with it!

2. If I can’t expand the tile size, then I could export my entire main city and create a new region that only has large city tiles. Then I would import my main city in the middle and have neighbour cities that are on large city tiles, which would be enough to allow my main city to spread out, and have neighbour cities be big enough to positively affect growth in the main city.

What do you guys think? Thoughts/suggestions?

It won't work.  There is no "cut and paste" functionality.  If your city is out of room on one tile, just expand to the adjacent ones using neighbour connections.  Sorry, no streets.  Just roads or higher.  You then get the fun of playing a regional city, tile by tile.  Be careful to keep things in synchronization.

City size is a hard coded limit, something we can't change. To make larger cities, you just spread out to the adjacent neighbouring tiles, just as A Nonny Moose suggested. My region Schellingen-Stadt is an excellent example of that strategy:

regionview_19-06-13.jpg

One central city, 10 large city tiles large. Try this strategy and your city size is practically unlimited

Best,

Maarten

Blending the edges is key.  You can connect to neighbors using streets still though so don't worry about that, the tutorial for that is here>http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=7350.0.  There are other ways to blend the edges too, like putting zones facing streets or roads but with the backs of the zone facing the edge of the edge city tile and mirroring that on the other city tile.  My favorite technique to blend edges is to use farms, this is the easiest way to do it.  You grow  farm on one city tile all the way to to edge, then open up the neighboring city tile and place ploppable farm lots that match the one you grew on the other side.  In my current region I have 4 small city tiles that are fully occupied by farms the neighboring city tile is a large one, from region view you cannot tell that the tiles are different sizes, it looks like one giant city tile.

My favorite technique to blend edges is to use farms, this is the easiest way to do it.  You grow  farm on one city tile all the way to to edge, then open up the neighboring city tile and place ploppable farm lots that match the one you grew on the other side.

This only looks good in Satellite view, but not so good in Transportation view, due to the way the lot is displayed IMO.  

You can also use the technique of matching what grows on the field on both sides of the boarder. The drawback to this is saving the cities during the different times of the seasons will look off in Sat view.

But if you look at some of the farms around the middle of the US, you'll see that even on one large square farm, could essentially be various squares of different types of fields. I'll use this technique when building farms in the corners of the cites. Each square equal in size, so in trans view it looks like one big square, but in sat view it looks like 4 square farm fields making up one larger square farm. 

My next trick is to recreate the circular farm fields you see everywhere across the country now. ;)

No need to change city tile size at all. Just expand to the next tile, and consider it part of the same city. And large tiles are the only "nice" sized tiles in SC4, that's why most region maps are made all large tiles.

There is a tutorial I whipped up over at SimPeg on circular farms. I'll try to get a link when I'm at a proper computer.

Are you speaking of the one where you place a civic building with a radius ring to use as a guide for the outer edge placement of the zoned grid spaces? If so, I've come across it during my forums digging.   :thumb:

Yep, and it looks like I posted that in the wrong topic - woops - anyway, here is the link to the circular farm tutorial.  

There is a tutorial I whipped up over at SimPeg on circular farms. I'll try to get a link when I'm at a proper computer.

Are you speaking of the one where you place a civic building with a radius ring to use as a guide for the outer edge placement of the zoned grid spaces? If so, I've come across it during my forums digging.   :thumb:

Yep, and it looks like I posted that in the wrong topic - woops - anyway, here is the link to the circular farm tutorial.  

I'm hoping by using the technique of growing the farm at the center of the fields will stop the need for the street pieces around the circumference to remove the zots. I found that when you remove the road pieces, exit and re enter the city, the zots will appear again. That's a bit frustrating.

I do this with 18x18 (max allowed holding shift) fields with the farm at the center and I don't get the zots, so assuming it'll work the same for the circular.

• Original Poster
  • It won't work.  There is no "cut and paste" functionality

Isn’t there? I mean, I imported the big city tutorial into the region I’m using right now. So shouldn’t be I able to export my main city into a better region?

City size is a hard coded limit, something we can't change.

Gotcha.

One central city, 10 large city tiles large. Try this strategy and your city size is practically unlimited

I like it, your city layout is pretty awesome! How did you make that region?

Blending the edges is key.  You can connect to neighbors using streets still though so don't worry about that, the tutorial for that is here>http://sc4devotion.c...hp?topic=7350.0.  There are other ways to blend the edges too, like putting zones facing streets or roads but with the backs of the zone facing the edge of the edge city tile and mirroring that on the other city tile.  My favorite technique to blend edges is to use farms, this is the easiest way to do it.  You grow  farm on one city tile all the way to to edge, then open up the neighboring city tile and place ploppable farm lots that match the one you grew on the other side.  In my current region I have 4 small city tiles that are fully occupied by farms the neighboring city tile is a large one, from region view you cannot tell that the tiles are different sizes, it looks like one giant city tile.

Hmm, perhaps I can try that out.

So it seems like I can’t change the city tile size itself, but I can definitely create a region with large city tiles. That seems to be the solution.

I’ll look into creating a region by myself. I heard you use Microsoft Paint to do so?

To make a region of all large cities, before you render it set the config.bmp to solid blue (0x0000FF).  Simple as that.  The sides of the config.bmp must be divisible by four.

• Original Poster
  • To make a region of all large cities, before you render it set the config.bmp to solid blue (0x0000FF).  Simple as that.  The sides of the config.bmp must be divisible by four.

That does sound simple. Is there a way I can it so I can change some of the tiles to medium city size? Once I export my city to a new region, I want the tile southwest of my main city to be a medium tile. Because I made an awesome medium-sized city beside my main city (in the current region I'm using), and it stimulates growth amazingly well in my main city. Would hate to drop it after I worked on it for so long, even if it's medium-sized. :(