Sign in to follow this  
Cougar2004

Navigating the LEX (Navigation Category Definitions)

12 posts in this topic Last Reply

Highlighted Posts

Navigating the LEX (Navigation Category Definitions)

The STEX (ST) is pretty easy to understand as there are very few sections to search: 3ds Models, Buildings (BAT), Lots, Maps, Props, Textures, Mods & Tools.  The PLEX (simpeg site) is quite different but even though the acronyms are not obvious, clicking them always opens a description page to explain.  The LEX, however, has the most easy to browse categories and while they are mostly easy to understand, there are a few that still elude me (even after searching for definitions on the sc4d site).  There is amazing content found at all 3, as well as some other sites out there that I'm still finding out about. 

Does anyone know the definition of the category headers below marked in Red text?  Appreciate any help.  Thx!

00 Locked -- Locked (for a reason), not downloadable, may want to reconsider if using in your game [Empty]

00 Outdated -- Newer versions exist, these are not downloadable, may want to get the new version for your game

3 Rivers Region Co - Assuming it was a set by someone that is no longer supported [Empty]

CAM Agricultural -- Farm-related that are CAM-patible, meaning work with the CAM and likely only with CAM mod

CAM Commercial Off -- Commercial Offices that work with the CAM and likely only with CAM mod installed

CAM Commercial Ser -- Commercial Services that work with the CAM and likely only with CAM mod installed

CAM Industrial -- Industrial-related that work with the CAM and likely only with CAM mod installed

CAM Main Files -- The files required to install the CAM mod (to change the game to allow massive sized cities/buildings)

CAM Residential -- Residential-related that work with the CAM and likely only with CAM mod installed

Civics - Education -- Schools & education buildings that actively help increase your residential sims' Education (EQ)

Civics - Health -- Hospitals & Medical Clinics that actively help increase your residential sims' Health (HQ)

Civics - Safety -- Police & Fire Stations that actively reduce city flammability and crime

Commercial -- Commercial buildings that did not fall in one of the other more specific commercial categories [below]

Commercial - Highr -- Commercial High Rises

Commercial - Mediu -- Medium-sized Commercial buildings

Commercial - MEGA -- Extremely large Commercial buildings that take a significant amount of land

Commercial - Small -- Small Commercial buildings that could fit in any city

Commercial - WFW -- Wall-to-Wall Commercial buildings, fit side-by-side, building takes the entire lot, no extra land 

Commercial - WFK -- Waterfront Kit Commercial buildings, designed to sit on land by water

Dependency -- Large mixed packs of Dependencies needed for the buildings in the other categories

Dependency - Props -- Prop Packs needed as dependencies for the buildings in the other categories

Dependency - Textu -- Texture Packs  needed as dependencies for the buildings in the other categories

Documentation -- Various Tutorials and Documentation, helpful for both modders and players

Farming -- Agriculture Farms & Fields

Farming - SF -- Slope Friendly Agriculture Farms & Fields, look decent when built on any slope tile

Industrial -- Assorted Industrial buildings 

Industrial - MEGA -- Extremely large Industrial buildings that take a significant amount of land

Industrial - WFK -- Waterfront Kit Industrial buildings,  designed to sit on land by water

Landmarks -- Landmark buildings that provide the Landmark effect in the game

Landmarks - Functi -- Functional Landmarks, meaning they have jobs or do other things for your city

Map - Standard --  Maps that come as standard greyscale JPEG images that are rendered in the game

Map - Terraformer -- Maps that come as a Terraformer/Mapper file

Models - 3DS -- Models made with the 3DSMax tool, available for use on custom lots

Models - gMax -- Models made with the gMax tool, available for use on custom lots

Mods - General -- Mods that change features of the game, similar to the Mods category on the STEX

Mods - Graphic -- Mods that change visual look and feel (graphic) aspects of the game (eyecandy)

Mods - Traffic -- Mods that change vehicles and transportation networks in the game

NAM -- Most popular mod of all time, adds additional transportation features to the game, upgrades capacities, fixes bugs

Parks -- Parks that don't fit into other categories, found in Parks menu, give Park Effect, new animal mods found here too

Parks - BSC Compli -- ???? (Unsure what this means. Anyone know? BSC compliant or something?)

Parks - Eyecandy -- Parks for looks only, not functional in the game. 

Parks - Sportsfield -- Various kinds of Ball Parks and Sports Fields

Residential - High -- Residential High Rises

Residential - Medi -- Medium-sized Residential buildings

Residential - MEGA -- Extremely large Residential buildings that take a significant amount of land

Residential - SF -- Slope Friendly Residential buildings, look decent when built on any slope tile

Residential - Smal -- Small Residential buildings that could fit in any city

Rewards - BTE -- BSC Tracking Reward buildings. a special set of rewards programmatically linked together

Rewards - General -- New Reward buildings that will become available in Rewards menu when requirements are met

Tools - Data Creat -- Tools used for Data Creation, useful for batters/lotters, not needed for those who only play 

Tools - Data Manag -- Tools for Data Management, advanced users can make good use of these

Tools - Data Modif -- Tools used for Data Modification, useful for modders, not needed for those who only play 

Transport - Air -- New Airplane skin mods, add new airplanes to the game

Transport - Rail -- New Rail Stations for trains and trams

Transport - Road -- New Road Transit stations like bus stations and parking lots

Transport - Water -- New Ships and boats

Utilities - Garbag -- Garbage Utility buildings of all styles

Utilities - Power -- Power Utility buildings of all styles

Utilities - Water -- Water Towers and Pumps

These are the current options as of 2013.  Perhaps this list will be useful for others besides me.  If anyone suggests a more accurate description to any category above, it will be updated.  If others find this useful, perhaps I'll add the PLEX categories here as well. Appreciate any help with the Red ones above. Thx!

EDIT: Thanks to infamousjbe, Indiana Joe, z1, catty-cb for helping answer the questions. Clarified categories are now shown in Green instead of red above. 

The only one I could possibly help with is Reward BTE. Usually means the bat is tracked towards BTE reward type bats.

It seems that over the years, certain BSC bats were released as parts of a rewards chain, that only become available after completing some prerequisites. It was probably done to increase the fun factor that comes along with earning a new reward/landmark.

Though I didn't now it at the time, Simgoober's Chruch Pack acts like a rewards based release. Only allowing me to build a certain religious building once I've hit the right benchmarks.

I've always wondered what the SF was for as well.

One other note that really isn't a huge deal, but I think MEGAs are not any single building that takes up large real estate, but rather a collection of buildings over the large area. In fact just had one pop up on my industrial island. Believe it was something like a 10x12

First of all, the LEX has it's own set of forums for questions about it--SC4Devotion.   ;)

But anyway, "SF" stands for Slope-Friendly.  As in they look good on steep hills.

There are two types of SC4 maps:  ones that come as a Terraformer/Mapper file, and the ones that come the old-fashioned way with greyscale JPEG images that are rendered in-game.

infamousjbe just answered the one about BTE, and I'm not positive about "BSC Compliant."  I'll get back to you on that if I figure it out, if no one else knows.

EDIT: as far as I can tell, it seems that the BSC team simply has their own category for a huge set of parks they made.

• Original Poster
  • To add to what's been said, "BTE" stands for "BSC Tracking Enabled".

What exactly is a 'BSC Tracking Enabled' lot anyway?  And how can I use it?  Its not Transit Enabled. What's the track?

I believe BSC is a group of elite content creation experts that tend to provide quality stuff that they post mostly on the SC4d site (LEX). 

To add to what's been said, "BTE" stands for "BSC Tracking Enabled".

What exactly is a 'BSC Tracking Enabled' lot anyway?  And how can I use it?  Its not Transit Enabled. What's the track?

It means that the lot is part of a chain of lots that lead to certain BSC award lots.

There are also specific lots where you can check the number of tracking-enabled lots that you have in the current city in their query.

I used quite a few of these tracking-enabled in my last region. There were certainly lots of messages springing up during play :D. It could get a bit hectic, though. I was thinking whether it's worth to remove the rewards dependency from some of the lots that I liked in some cities, but not in others.

• Original Poster
  • There are two types of SC4 maps:  ones that come as a Terraformer/Mapper file, and the ones that come the old-fashioned way with greyscale JPEG images that are rendered in-game.

Can all of us load both types of maps easily into our game, is it more difficult, or a different process to load each?

To add to what's been said, "BTE" stands for "BSC Tracking Enabled".

It means that the lot is part of a chain of lots that lead to certain BSC award lots.

What is the way to use these?  Must all of them be downloaded and added to be properly used?  If you are missing one, perhaps it would be in the middle of the chain and break the chain?  Are they just extra buildings that you must "earn", or is there something else behind the BTE system?

There are also specific lots where you can check the number of tracking-enabled lots that you have in the current city in their query.

I used quite a few of these tracking-enabled in my last region. There were certainly lots of messages springing up during play :D. It could get a bit hectic, though. I was thinking whether it's worth to remove the rewards dependency from some of the lots that I liked in some cities, but not in others.

Are you suggesting it is possible to remove the requirements by not loading a certain BTE file and just use the buildings anytime? If you happen to find the lot that shows how many BTE lots are in the current city, id be interested to see that, or at least a screen capture. Thx.

What is the way to use these?  Must all of them be downloaded and added to be properly used?  If you are missing one, perhaps it would be in the middle of the chain and break the chain?  Are they just extra buildings that you must "earn", or is there something else behind the BTE system?

A quote of the description of the Baltic Flour Mill on the LEX should answer at least most of your questions:

The Baltic Flour Mill is a 5x5 reward which will bring new manufacturing opportunities to your farming communities or further enhance an already developed industrial economy. If you grow 5 or more BSC BTE wheat farms then your city will soon be in need of somewhere to grind this wheat into flour. If farming is not your thing, then the Mill can also be obtained by a city with12 or more industrial BSC BTE bakeries, such as the Breadline, Flour Power or Porkie's Pies Factories. As well as hosting 47 manufacturing jobs, the mill will also provide a boost in I-M demand.

Are you suggesting it is possible to remove the requirements by not loading a certain BTE file and just use the buildings anytime? If you happen to find the lot that shows how many BTE lots are in the current city, id be interested to see that, or at least a screen capture. Thx.

I suggested modding the rewards out. It was fun for a while, but I noticed that my cities started to all look the same after a while, because some of the rewards buildings are quite prominent. There are lots of very nice buildings in the chains, though, and it's worth playing with them as intended for some time.

The building that displays BTE rewards lots is the BTE Retail Traders Association. It's a reward building by itself :D, but easy to get.