Sign in to follow this  
TheGeekMayor89

How good is this game?

14 posts in this topic Last Reply

How would all of you rate Sim City 2013?  I have read a lot of mixed reviews of it.  I am planning on getting a new computer as soon as I can, and have considered getting SC13 with it.  How does SC13 stack up to Sim City 4? 

I personally prefer this to SC4. SC4 has more options as this one is in vanilla without any expansions yet. Sc2013 does have its fair share of bugs which are being ironed out on an almost daily basis. I have 40 hours in and thoroughly enjoy it and have experienced no server issues.

I'm sure there are a lot of Sc4 players who might disagree but its a matter of taste and what you want out of a game. The new one isnt really a city builder anymore but its great fun in other ways.

$10: Awesome but it kinda sucks losing cities.

$20: Great, I just wish I wouldn't lose my cities!

$30: Good, but losing cities is getting real annoying, and what's up with all the graphical glitches and crappy textures?

$40: Meh, might get my moneys worth out if I try hard enough.

$50: Man, overpaid but the DLC should make this game great. I'll put it back on the shelf and come back to it when it's no longer a Beta, map sizes and graphical glitches are fixed and there's a local save option.

$60: Fix everything.

As it stands now it's basically a $10-$30 game, it has potential though to be an epic game easily worth the $60 if they decide they are going to listen and do the right thing. I just have my doubts they will.

there are already countless threads about that.

My short summary: The game has a great potential, the engine is full of good ideas, but it's just not finished yet (the simulation is full of bugs, some core aspects of the game obviously were not or only poorly tested during dev, even featured component such as the online play has tons of issues), and if maxis keep going on the direction they took, some dealbreaker points will probably never change (online only, no modding or risk banning, map sizes, etc...), at least not officially.

If you plan to buy the game, i'd say, wait 2-3 month and come back to check if some things have evolved. atm almost no problems were fixed since launch. There was several "fixes" to traffic, but things almost did not improved, there are still stupid vehicle stuck in endless loops of lurking on the same road over and over with "no apparent goal", still no road-lanes dedicated to services, cops, firefighters, ambulances will stop at red lights, and such on...

If what you enjoy in a simcity is doing small town of low density buildings and small pop easy to satisfy, the game is (or almost is) ready for you atm. As long as your city is growing, the annoying killer-bugs will become more omnipresent, and you'll find yourself more often working around bugs than really planning around your city.

Edited by CaptCity  

Removed off topic content.

Game has massive potential and a very good foundation. It also well made and looks grate.

The only problem is... well... it doesn't actually work. Most of the game mechanics are broken or bugged or badly setup or just plain wrong.

The game it self can, and hopefully will be, a grate game. But it needs A LOT of fixing. 

I would hold off for now, given the price tag as compared with the issues the game currently has.

As compared with SC4, it's just a quite different game.  SC4 is more of a pure city simulator, is more in-depth, has massive cities, and is now modded up to the hilt and so has tons of features, customizations and so on.  SC4 is a more challenging game from the get-go, as well.

SC13 is hampered by bugs and design issues.  One hopes that some of the most irritating bugs (traffic issues, recycling center failures, intra-regional shipping and related trading etc.) will be resolved in the near future, but some of the other aspects (map size, RCI model) likely will not because they are fundamental design issues.  

For example, Because SC13 is designed primarily to be a cooperative/competitive online game with leaderboards and challenges and so on, it's hostile to customization and modding (viewed as "cheating" in a competitive online game), and therefore you are stuck with the provided maps and grids, and that's it (in the same vein, allowing terraforming as in SC4 would also be viewed as "cheating" because it removes the level playing field).  It also seems likely that the glassbox "agent" simulation model (which in itself is looking rather dubious in some aspects) is a significant technical reason why the grid sizes for the "cities" are so small -- making them larger would likely overtax the simulation.  Hopefully with some optimization they can eventually increase grid sizes a bit, but I wouldn't hold my breath.  Having smaller grids is also a fundamental part of the design of the game, apart from the engine.

That is because this game is designed not around building a big, impressive self-sufficient city, but around building a "district" or "suburb" which is specialized in one thing, and relies on the other cities in the region for other things it can't provide for itself and its own sims.  The grids are too small to do everything, the game makes you pick and choose.  The whole idea being that you are supposed to be cooperating with 2-14 other cities in your region, each having its own complementary specialization.  So, it's a fundamentally multiplayer design from the outset, even if a player chooses to play all the cities in the region themselves.  This basically characterizes the gameplay, and makes it fundamentally different from SC4 or the other prior games in the franchise, because you're really not building a city, but a relatively small district that plays a specialized role in an interdependent region of districts.  (Of course it doesn't help matters that much of the regional level gameplay isn't working very well at the moment, but that falls into the category of bug rather than design).

So, I'd recommend holding off due to bugs, and even then taking a hard look at whether the game that this is (which is quite different from previous versions) is really what you would like to play in light of the design of this specific version.  I will say that when it is working the game can still be fun, but it's also very different from SC4.

Depends on where you are coming from:

Sim City enthusiasts, who started somewhere from Sim City 1, Sim City 2000, Sim City 3000, and Sim City 4? These players are likely to find the game an absolute failure, and be frustrated with the lack of sophistication we came to love from these games.. almost like the game comes across as some kind of Sim TOWN, made for an entirely different audience.

Those just looking for a pseudo-Sim City game, without the depth and breadth of the traditional SC games, the game is a solid C+ .. maybe even B - ...  I think more casual gamers will love the nice change of pace from the endless amount of shooter games that dominate the market. good for a few weeks perhaps, but ultimately disposable.

I would love to see modders fix the game though, as long as EA is not going to penalize them for doing this.. because SC4 stock version would never have lasted an entire DECADE.. that's all due to the modders here, all the mods, bats, textures, online community aspect etc. Modders pick up where the developers left off.

Actually I love SC4 but I really enjoy this game as well. But yeah, you got to differentiate between SC4 and this one. Change your expectations, look at both games from a different perspective. SimCity 4 is about building big urban regions, this one is more about developing a smaller city but with a much greater emphasis on economy and the interaction between different buildings. I think the best way to describe it is a mix of SimCity with and an Anno game. Which is something I'm fine with. 

As a SimCity 4 fan who has played all the SimCities from the very first, I think SimCity2013 would be a good game if the core gameplay could be fixed.  Unfortunately, I think the way they choose to implement their ideas makes it very unlikely that these issues can be fixed.  The agent and Glassbox system is core to how SimCity2013 works and it's also the main reason for the majority of gamebreaking failures.  If the game is to be fixed, agents, specifically the people, have to operate differently than they do now.  They have to stop trying to go to the same place to fill up a sink and then move on en mass, The police and firemen have to operate more as individuals instead of going to the same place.  The visitor traffic has to be managed better and the game has to be set so that R, C and I depend upon each other like in former SimCities.  These are huge fixes and I'm not sure if it'll be possible.

As someone who never really played simcity, this game is very addictive but has so many frustrating and sometimes game-breaking bugs. Wait a couple months and see if they're fixed. So far they seem to be working on things but there's next to no transparency so who knows how far they'll go.

I think the best way to describe it is a mix of SimCity with and an Anno game. Which is something I'm fine with. 

That's the best and most apt description of SimCity that I've come across yet. The resource/supply chain management aspects are just like the Anno series.

Having basically rebuilt my gaming rig for SC2013 just a few weeks ago, i'd suggest you NOT do that.  It isn't worth it with SC2013 in mind.  For other games, of course.  But if you're doing it with the sole intent on buying SC2013, I'd save my money.

That said, this game gets clobbered by SC4... it LOOKS better in some places.  I took some pretty nice screenshots over the weekend as I had this unexpected high wealth are that rocked!  especially at street level.

There's just so many broken things about this game.

Compared to SC4, SC2013 is a fantastically inferior product.  One really can't argue this (unless that one is someone who had no experience with SC4)

TBH, if I had known about "Let's Play" videos on YouTube, which I only learned existed after this game was released and I was excited, I would've just done all "Let's Play" videos and saved my money.

fwiw... 

Personally I love it.  I've spent countless hours playing it.  Don't compare it to SC4 or any previous SC game though as you will be very disappointed.  As long as you don't look at it as a sequel but a totally new game going in a completely new direction I think most SC fans will get at least some enjoyment out of it.  Personally the price tag is rarely a consideration for me, even on a budget, but I do see a the point of a few of the gamers that this is a $30 dollar game.  It does have its flaws which I'm confident will get worked out.

I think the worse of the problems are behind us though, the server stability was really bad but now I haven't had a single issue in that respect.  I haven't lost any cities due to glitches or server issues since they've stabilized.  You do still have a few things that will get annoying:

1.  Traffic Simulator still needs work but they did get a good patch this week

2.  Textures need work.  By this I mean Parks don't line up correctly and roads often show the ground under them (much like Cities XL does when you go up a steep hill).

3.  There are some general simulation issues IMO (specifically how people don't go to the same job or same house everyday)

4.  Trading between cities sometimes it happens in a few minutes other times it happens after an hour or more.  Such as gifting credits or metal.  This may be by design, not sure.

5.  Great works.  Sending materials don't seem to line up between the cities.  When one city is loaded and I look at the great work it might say I'm nearly completed but another city sending materials may say it just started.  Another might say it is in Stage 2.  So far I've yet to complete a Great works even on Sandbox mode.

All those issue aside, I really do love the game and it has great potential to become even better.  City size is another big issue but one I'm willing to live with until all the other kinks are worked out.