Sign in to follow this  
Catchin22

Yes! It's Possible!

33 posts in this topic Last Reply

Town looks gorgeous. Realistic? I don't think so. You'll have to make a lot of serious explainings to do as to why there are no farms in nearby grass-lands. No, meth is not the right answer. Yes, there exist many open grassy/forresty plains, just not in the vicinity of towns/cities.

• Original Poster
  • Reminds me of Harlan County on Justified. The city looks great.

Thanks. I have to say I am actually enjoying playing this game more as a Town Builder. It also starts to make more sense and I am really starting to think they started the game off this way as well and at some point said "lets give it sky scrapers and call it SimCity, that will help sales"

I still see giant potential in the game if they can get their act together. Map sizes need to increase 4x at MINIMUM. Under / Over passes, bridges need added. Modding needs opened to the community. I don't care if EA / Maxis has a micro store and sells models / add-ons I will gladly buy good stuff, but the community should be able to fully mod everything as well. All the little glitches need fixed, somebody needs to redesign nearly every single park because they look AWFUL. It seriously feels released way way too early in a lot of respects.

Here are some more photos of my town. I'll probably build mostly only towns from now on since it's the only way to make anything realistic looking.

SimTown5_zps58838084.jpg

SimTown4_zps91a864d9.jpg

SimTown3_zps242096bd.jpg

SimTown2_zpse4713359.jpg

Love Piehole. Fab and a nice look to it too.

If you play this as SimTown then this works fairly well. As a person who does live in a town rather than city I am quite happy to build 10k-20k towns in this sim. Others prefer skyscrappers. Each to their own I guess.

EA/Maxis should really consider a building exchange where creators can upload their creations and sell them to players for around $.25, letting EA/Maxis make 5 cents or so per download.  The creators could make money, and so could EA.

I'd buy it all day!

Regardless of what the OP has said... yeah, those are, hands down, some of the best SC2013 screen shots I've seen to date. Thank god for that photo filter...

Pics like that give me hope that with enough modding and 3rd party re-engineering we could, one day, get an awesome game out of this.

Free and open modding is essential to achieving this though. Hopefully, after Maxis's DLC revenue has all dried up, they'll have the common sense to release free to use BAT-type tools. Paying 25c on some sort of official exchange for a building created by a 3rd party modder will only lead the game to a premature death.

• Original Poster
  • Thanks for the comments, did not expect that but it made my day. I am a semi-pro photographer so that probably helps a bit (rule of thirds and all) though no control over DOF and such. Anyhow, thanks! I think I am going to make a lot of towns. Maybe we can get a "show us your town" thread going.

This is beautiful. Did you plan it in advance or did you just build it out of your head? I always try to build something more curvy and realistic, and still end up with a pretty basic square road layout...

• Original Poster
  • This is beautiful. Did you plan it in advance or did you just build it out of your head? I always try to build something more curvy and realistic, and still end up with a pretty basic square road layout...

Thanks! I didn't really plan anything in advance. I wish there were a nice valley map so I could make a tucked away village.

Which Region map did you use for this Catch?

Traviata Knoll on Viridian Woods region.

Stupid question probably but how did you get all those trees tucked in there like that?  Is it with that one tree tool in the parks menu?  I tried that and for 50 sims per I got it to lay down virtually nothing in terms of trees...

• Original Poster
  • Yeah, that's using the same tool. They really need space, if there's not enough space you don't get a single tree. I don't really like the tool, you should be able to lay down trees one by one wherever you want.

not that realistic...

Your town looks like a small village...

In real life, how many small villages of that size have you seen with an avenue? or even with more than 2 lanes roads ?

And how many small villages like that have you seen connected to the highway irl ?

And how many are ONLY connected to the highway and has no other exit to another town ?

just sayin...

not that realistic...

Your town looks like a small village...

In real life, how many small villages of that size have you seen with an avenue? or even with more than 2 lanes roads ?

And how many small villages like that have you seen connected to the highway irl ?

And how many are ONLY connected to the highway and has no other exit to another town ?

just sayin...

Umm.....Have you ever been to America, There are plenty of small towns with avenues, I live in a town of a little over 6,000 with an avenue and one stop light. And here we don't call any villages unless it's apart of the actual name of the town, or atleast in Alabama, everything is either a town, city, metro

Long time reader, first time poster.

This post was the shot of creativity I've been looking for. I'm not one to play by raw numbers alone and this strikes the balance I've been looking for. The aesthetic is as as beautiful as it is stunning. Incredibly pleasing to the eye. 

I created this account to say, Thank You! 

:-)

Thanks to this thread I've created a region that includes multiple small towns like this, each serving a unique purpose within the region.

Mine doesn't look as cool, but trying to keep a town small yet efficient certainly adds depth to the game!