• Haljackey
    Haljackey

Simtropolis Surpasses 600,000 Members!

Simtropolis has grown by over 100k members in the last 10 months! Is a lot of this growth due to SimCity (2013), or perhaps due to a SimCity 4 resurgence post-SimCity (2013)? Perhaps both!

I wonder if we'll ever reach a million...

Sign in to follow this  
    Sign in to follow this  

User Feedback

or perhaps due to a SimCity 4 resurgence post-SimCity (2013)?

Does the pope wear a tall hat? of course it's not because of Simcity 2013 - at least not directly. Maybe the release of the new game brought some more attention to the series but I highly doubt people are here because of that trainwreak.

I've looked at the other City simulation games and SC4 is still easily the best!

Share this comment

Unfortunately I feel as though this has become a quantity over quality matter in regards to the new member influx. However, having 600,000 members is a milestone regardless!

Share this comment

I'm not a contributor of anything much besides the occasional comment but my time with Simtropolis goes way, way back to the early days of its existence. Just wanted to thank Dirk and the rest of you all who DO provide so much wonderful stuff here and make it the finest SimCity destination on the internet (in my opinion at least). Here's hoping you do reach a million!

Share this comment

Unfortunately I feel as though this has become a quantity over quality matter in regards to the new member influx. However, having 600,000 members is a milestone regardless!

I'm not concerned about the influx of new members. With the surge of activity, we also have several new moderators, and the team is very capable of making sure ST runs smoothly as they have done in the past.

One million would be quite the milestone.

Share this comment

The numbers are actually a drop in a bucket compared to some sites, but we are probably one of the more serious ones.

This is a good opportunity to pass on yet more kudos to Dirk and the Staff for maintaining a sensible, orderly site in this day of here-today-gone-tomorrow web things.

New memebers are, of course, always welcome.  The more the merrier.  Some of our older members have also returned recently due to the flap in the gaming press, and it is good to see rekindled interest in the game. 

This old bird keeps getting new feathers, and for that we have to thank the custom content community both here and elsewhere.

I, for one, will try my best to keep the game running on newer machines unless we are totally blocked somewhere.  And then there is always Linux/wine.

Share this comment

What? 600,000 members.....wow.......I remember when there were less than 100 on this site, sometime in October 2002 when I joined for the first time (under another name)

Amazing.

mrb

Share this comment

What? 600,000 members.....wow.......I remember when there were less than 100 on this site, sometime in October 2002 when I joined for the first time (under another name)

Amazing.

mrb

..And the crazy thing is that the historic high is nearly 750k!

n69F7qe.jpg

I think that total was from before '03

Share this comment

Congulations Simtrop!. Who woldn't want to join this site!. Great content and very friendly fourmers as well. Also, can't help but feel I am part of a large family since joining. Guess it's the people here.

Share this comment

Q BOM Q CHEGARMOS  A ISSO 600 MIL  É ISSO AE GALERA

SC4 É BEM MELHOR QUE SIM CITY 2013   THE BEST KING OF SC4 :)

Share this comment

As one of those "newbies"* I'll say that yeah, in my case, it's because of SC2013... I re-installed my old copy of SC4 Deluxe and patched it up - THEN realised what a massive modding community there is!

Now playing SC2013 feels kind of retrograde, Maxis have got a lot of work to do to catch up with what the community has produced over the last 10 years (as my /plugins folder is testament to) - so this is just a "thank you" note to all the BATers, lotters, mappers and modders that have managed to make SC4 into a far better game than even SC2013!

*not a newbie to SimCity - I've had every version (I think) since the original on the Amiga ... a computer just isn't complete without having a copy of a SimCity and a Civ game installed :)

Share this comment

Way to go, ST!  This shows that there is still interest in SimCity.  At this rate, we'll pass the historic high by September of 2014, assuming of course that the interest continues.  I don't see why it won't, since I have my doubts about any city game coming along in the near future and uprooting SC4.

Share this comment

@Mr Saturn64: I also began only downloading cool stuff from the STEX, later looking for solutions to the game, later lurking, later posting on the forums... Eventually I began my CJs and a couple of year later I got a place on the staff. It's all about feeling home here.

Share this comment

Tried SC Society (for a week) Then I came after getting my $$ back on SC2013 (credit card protection is awesome). Installed SC4 & RH on a much NICER ASUS G75.   

The only reason I get crashes now is from old bad plugins. over 10 years here!  (wow)! 

Share this comment

After having played SC3000 since 2006, discovering SC4 in 2008 and the NAM in 2009 and looking at this site every now and then, I finally decided to join Simtropolis just a few days ago. So I am one of those new members. And I hope to stay here for a long time, too.

I think that in my case, SC2013 is no reason at all. At most, the negative press about it could have accelerated the process of joining this great site to support the SC4 fan community and to show EA what kind of game called SimCity we want to play.

Share this comment

What I've noticed over the three years is that the number active Simcity 4 players on this website has shrunk a little bit. However, I have also noticed that the Simcity 4 players have been getting more and more experienced over the years. So, I think the majority of new members are coming for Simcity (2013).

Share this comment