• Hellken
    Hellken

IGN: Cities in Motion 2 Review

TRAIN OF THOUGHT.

APRIL 11, 2013 There's a science to getting people from point A to point B, and Cities in Motion 2 takes a very technical, not particularly user-friendly approach to its simulation of urban mass transit. Despite significant strides in creative freedom over its predecessor, this is still largely a puzzle about imposing a successful public transportation system on a city that initially doesn't support one. Such a transition isn't easy, of course, and Cities in Motion 2 seems intent on reminding you of that every step of the way, but it's a rewarding puzzle to solve.

It's also a roomier world, with maps four times larger than we saw in 2011. On a practical level, the map sizes justify the construction of lengthy and lucrative train lines between fare zones. It also allows room for your city to grow, which is handy, because perhaps the greatest addition to Cities in Motion 2 over the first is the ability for your cities to grow at all. While the focus on transportation means you have little or no control over the specific types of building that arise (as you do in SimCity), it means we get to construct dozens of rail and road types with adjustable elevations, and it's always fun to see a new row of buildings slowly pop up along them.

I was initially disappointed with the mere six maps that all feature the same Seattle-meets-New York aesthetic, until I realized that there's already a small but already blossoming selection of player-made cities on CimExchange.com, and that I could always use the powerful map editor to build a city more to my liking. Or I could, if I were willing to put up with the editor's unwieldiness – a UI design problem that plagues most of Cities in Motion 2.

Read the rest at IGN.

User Feedback

I bought it. It´s cheap (on steam) and although that game have some flaws (which the team is providing a support like EA should learn something from), what that small team of CO did is amazing.

Share this comment

I bought it. It´s cheap (on steam) and although that game have some flaws (which the team is providing a support like EA should learn something from), what that small team of CO did is amazing.

I know right, Its funny how a one small team can make quality way better then a much bigger team of EA AND MAXIS.

Share this comment

Why would I want a half completed city sim game? If I wanted to manage the transportation of a city I'd at least like to built it too.

Share this comment

Why would I want a half completed city sim game? If I wanted to manage the transportation of a city I'd at least like to built it too.

You can build your complete road network if you want using custom maps in the sandbox mode. You can't do zones, power, water, trash. There's no RCI.

Trust me though, the level of attention just keeping the city going when you start expanding your transportation network is enough work.

The organic growth around existing and new networks will keep a sim'er busy.

Share this comment

Its a transportation managment game not city building game.

Share this comment

CiM 2 is such an amazing game.  They did a wonderful job making it detailed and fun; I find it holds my interest better than CiM 1 because with timetables, road building, etc. there is a lot more to do to keep me busy.

Share this comment

I bought it too, and I like it a lot.  

I am one those fans who just needs a canvas for creating cities.  I don't care so much about actual gameplay.  CIM2 is great for that, there is an unlimited money mode so I can just build the city without needing to turn a profit.

Share this comment

This review fails to mention that modding tools will be released soon. I been lurking at the CiM forums and I can say the development team is very good at staying in touch and listening to the fans. Many of the complaints in this review is being discussed and some changes are in the works. I never played CiM but I plan on buying it very soon. Playing with the road networks alone seems worth $20.

Share this comment

I really don't understand the point of that, it seems more like a job than a game. At the end of the day you've got no unique city to be proud of, just some quickly traversing citizens. Seems pretty boring to me.

Share this comment

I really don't understand the point of that, it seems more like a job than a game. At the end of the day you've got no unique city to be proud of, just some quickly traversing citizens. Seems pretty boring to me.

Good for you.  However, just because you don't like the genre doesn't mean it's any less of a game in any way.  It's perfectly enjoyable, and there is plenty to do.  What you have to be proud of is the smooth moving of traffic by your company, if you are able to achieve that.

Share this comment

LOL! Ask a gamer that plays FPS what he thinks of city simulators.

Share this comment

Uhmm.... Well i love both :-)

Ontopic: I bought this game and it's quite good. I agree with the fact that the cities sometimes seem liveless and a little grey, but the options in creating your on transportation system are fenomenal. Also the road options are great. There is such a wide variety of options. For example you can create a complete bussystem with buslanes (only buses) and separate them from the roadnetwork (just like in the city i live in). You simply have so much posibilities, it's endless. Maybe Maxis should talk with Colossal so they can bring these options into the next Simcity.

Share this comment

Uhmm.... Well i love both :-)

Ontopic: I bought this game and it's quite good. I agree with the fact that the cities sometimes seem liveless and a little grey, but the options in creating your on transportation system are fenomenal. Also the road options are great. There is such a wide variety of options. For example you can create a complete bussystem with buslanes (only buses) and separate them from the roadnetwork (just like in the city i live in). You simply have so much posibilities, it's endless. Maybe Maxis should talk with Colossal so they can bring these options into the next Simcity.

I don't want EA anywhere near Colossal. EA cant even manage to release a game that works at what its advertised to do, let alone take a great game/franchise and manage it.

Share this comment

Oh Boy! I think I just took a few steps back from this. The modding tools announced are not "real" modding tools. I really wanted to see community made vehicles and buildings to give a good facelift but seems it's not on their to-do list. Gonna hold out and see what happens about modding.

Read more in this thread

Share this comment

Do you still read these boards, Maxis? See what you get if you actually make a game while listening to the fanbase? You get praise! You didn't see that one comming, did ya?!?!

Share this comment

Bought it yesterday evening via download. It's quite addictive and I love the complexity and all the numbers and fiddly controls. :D

It's no Sim City - that was to be expected. Rather, it continues the tradition of games like Transport Tycoon, Traffic Giant and of course, CiM1.

The cities themselves are a bit bland, for now. I hope modding will come the one way or another, to remedy that aspect. This game surely has a lot of unexplored potential.

Share this comment