• Architechnid
    Architechnid

How I Mayor: Stadium Success

Jan 21, 2013

Lead Gameplay Scripter Guillaume Pierre

guillaume_headshot.gif

Hello, Mayors! Guillaume Pierre here, also known as MaxisGuillaume on the forums, the Lead Gameplay Scripter here on SimCity. Today I’m going to talk about how I built a stadium in my sleepy little town of GuiVille, how I tried to to get as many tourists in it as possible, and what I learned in the process.

HIM_1.gif

DAY ONE

Here’s my little town of GuiVille, right as the sun rises over the hills. It’s a nice place to live, but my Sims barely have anything to do with their free time. I just unlocked the Department of Tourism and the Department of Transportation at my City Hall. With the former, I’m now able to build a stadium, while with the latter I can finally build a regional transportation system.

HIM_2.gif

DAY TWO

In the foreground, you can see a fully upgraded bus terminal, with all the bus garage modules built. In the background, there’s my stadium, a large sporting complex with soccer fields and basketball courts, and you can also see a little bit of my convention center. These buildings sure were expensive to build, but I think they’ll be worth it after a few successful events.

HIM_3.gif

DAY THREE

So at this point it looks like tourists are able to come to the stadium by bus just fine, but I’m wondering if my neighbor’s Sims would also like to go to the game… I’m not going to worry about it and hope for the best, but it might be a good idea to message her and ask her to build some bus stops.

HIM_4.gif

DAY FOUR

Just as I had predicted, the flood of Sims from my neighbor is clogging up the main avenue leading to the stadium. At least the tourists are able to take a different route to the bus terminal and aren’t affected as much.

HIM_5.gif

DAY FIVE

The event was a success! I turned a small profit and learned a lot about how to improve my city in the process. Next time, I’ll make sure that my friend in the neighbor’s city has enough public transit options so her Sims can come into my city more easily, and I think I’ll build a dock on the river so that cruise ships can bring in wealthy tourists as well

User Feedback

I`ve just read this article on another side. Well writen and it makes me want to play the game even more. I like the idea of getting "minor great works" in your own citys like a stadion or special landmarks as the big ben.

But my idea about traffic control on stadions is just building it on the edge of the map next to the highway that connects the citys together. It doent make sense to let tourists move across half or whole map and making traffing jams.

Share this comment

enough public transit options?

He means bus or ... Nimbus from DBZ?!

only interconnection is rail and thats not even plopable intercity!

Share this comment

I'm liking the variety of addons. However, I really wish you'd have shown us a new stadium design. We've already seen that one. And if that's the only stadium available....

"There is no curse in Elvish, Entish, or the tongues of Men for this treachury."

Share this comment

That map didn't have a rail connection, but I considered buildings a terminal to bring in cruise ships on the waterway (last line of the blog)

Share this comment

Surprising .. The stadium moves on the map, the access roads to it changed and building emerged where they had houses and everything in five days of the game ... this game is really different, the development will speed jet

Share this comment

Decius, on , said:

That map didn't have a rail connection, but I considered buildings a terminal to bring in cruise ships on the waterway (last line of the blog)

LOL thats exactly the point he''s making! Scince there is no intercity rail connection on this map, you as a player will have no way to build rail to a neighbouring city. And eve nif there were, you cannot deside as a player where you want the connection to be and how manny connections of whatever type of transportation you want for that matter. Heck, even SS2000 would let you build as much neighbour connections as you wished.

That said, I do really like the graphics of the game. You guys did a nice job, especially considdering this is a first release.

But please Guillaume, do something about the scale of the game. Remove the dead land between towns and give contrle of intercity connections (of all types of transport) completly to the players. This will greatly improve the feel of scale in the region view. Oh, and also add minor terraforming options and I might just considder buying this game.

Share this comment

when will you learn that i just dont care anymore about simcity: societies 2, err i mean simcity ea?

This post was clearly not intended for you. Please direct yourself to the nearest exit post haste.

MaxisGuillaume, on , said:

LOL thats exactly the point he''s making! Scince there is no intercity rail connection on this map, you as a player will have no way to build rail to a neighbouring city. And eve nif there were, you cannot deside as a player where you want the connection to be and how manny connections of whatever type of transportation you want for that matter. Heck, even SS2000 would let you build as much neighbour connections as you wished.

That said, I do really like the graphics of the game. You guys did a nice job, especially considdering this is a first release.

But please Guillaume, do something about the scale of the game. Remove the dead land between towns and give contrle of intercity connections (of all types of transport) completly to the players. This will greatly improve the feel of scale in the region view. Oh, and also add minor terraforming options and I might just considder buying this game.

Reading this post gave me an idea that may be more easily implemented than the type of 'free reign' neighbor connections that we're used to:

Mr. Pierre, has Maxis considered creating city 'docking points'? It seems the reasoning for the pre-defined region layout of terrain and roads is due to the need for balance and predictability that this game requires for online and GlassBox. The docking points would be three to four points (if not more) along a city's edge that the player could choose to build a road or rail to at their discretion. It would seem to make it more predictable where and how the cities would be connected, and also give more freedom back to the player.

Also, do you see as a possibility Maxis creating a region editor down the road?

this stadium design is ugly , i have never seen anyone like that.

This stadium design is actually very similar to the Dallas Cowboys stadium. The main differences are scale and proportions, but this game in general seems to have difficulties there.

Share this comment

Decius, on , said:

This would imply that you need water though.

So far I count 3 intercity possbilities:

#1 standard highway

#2 (when available) Rail

#3 (when water) Cruize terminal

Maybe heliport its the future? I doubt airports since that will be a "great work" It would be neat to have set points to place rail options and have them spawn in the region allong a path as Architechnid suggested. Cities XL didnt let us build huge ammounts of city connections either if the terrein wasnt suitible or there was a connection near it already.

I would love to see an option where you van just connext to the highway on your own location same with the rail. Even if it is limited

Share this comment

Architechnid: It appears you are under the mistaken belief that you are a mod and have any say whatsoever in what other people are allowed to post. How unfortunate.

Anyway, I don't think EA understands that the more they post, the worse they look. A game that is just about to come out has less options and freedom than SC2000, a game that came out NINETEEN years ago. LESS, not more. (although it unfortunately lacked regions) That was a good move how, exactly? Forget comparing to 4, I could play 2 or 3 and get more out of it :( I was so hoping for the best when this was announced but I'd never dream of buying what it's become.

Share this comment

Architechnid: It appears you are under the mistaken belief that you are a mod and have any say whatsoever in what other people are allowed to post. How unfortunate.

ThisIsMyName: Actually, I was making a suggestion, not a command. simMayor84 made an assumption that this post was to convince him of something, but that was doomed to failure due to a lack of understanding his pov. My suggestion, though perhaps unclear, was meant to clarify that convincing him or others that have made opinions against SimCity is not the purpose of the post, and therefore leaving might be preferable to subjecting one's self to more news that confirms a negative belief. I respect his opinion, and don't mind him or you, or anyone expressing it here. Therefore, your assertion that I believe myself to be a moderator, or some other authority figure is inaccurate, in the least as a matter of intention. My apologies.

Share this comment

all the criticisms of the game aside, I like how the update feels like a city journal. some of the buildings seem eye-catching. the stadium looks more like a convention center though.

on another note, i consider how the game conceals dead-space between buildings to be quite clever. it looks much better as of late.

Share this comment