• Dirktator
    Dirktator

Cities XXL: Teaser Trailer

The Cities XL franchise returns with Cities XXL: a bigger, better city builder pushing the city limits to the edge of your imagination, as seen in the stunning world reveal trailer. Running on a vastly improved game engine, Cities XXL offers classic and extended city-building content, including over 1000+ buildings, 70+ maps including new landscapes and environments, and ecological features making CitiesXXL the 'greenest' Cities XL game yet.

Discover in the first Cities XXL video the sprawling cityscapes and city-life in action, to get a sense of the scale and grandeur of the game:

As you'll see in the video, CitiesXXL lets you design and build a sprawling metropolis across many different landscapes and maps, with varying available resources - from oil to fertile farm land - to keep the denizens of your city content. Featuring four classes of citizens spanning four densities of housing, you'll watch as your cosmopolitan paradise grows from a quiet suburban town to huge economic powerhouse.

With varying road-sizes, including curved roads, bridges, and tunnels unlocked from the start, you'll be able to plan the entrance to your city and its layout before you start plotting its city-scape. As it grows, take advantage of a unique richly detailed street-level view, and meet the citizens as they drive to work, ski, play basketball, or even parachute of the top of towers in unprecedented detail for the genre.

Cities XXL features low-level city management mechanics, such as local air and noise pollution levels illustrated with the new stream-lined UI, and beauty hot-spots suitable for holiday locations to supplement cash-flow.

At citizen management level, you'll be able to track a person's route to work in order to best manage transport from sea, underground and over-ground rail, or air. Cut-down on traffic queues with the park and ride and busses, or even bike hire - reducing that carbon footprint!

Now with Steam Workshop support and streamlined modding, it has never been easier and quicker to share and download user-created content for a Cities XL game. With Cities XXL, you'll be able to use widely available free tools online to create your content and upload it to the Steam Workshop, for all players to download it right through Steam!

To find out why Cities XXL helps you to build a bigger, better world, see the feature break-down below:

• Over 70 huge maps across multiple terrains and landscapes, from the tropics to the mountains and all in between.
    • Region specific roads to match your country: French, English, German, etc.
    • Over 1000 buildings, many with civilian activity animations to enjoy at street level
    • Greener options for the environment conscious, such as the park and ride, bike hire, and ability to upgrade industrial buildings to reduce emissions
    • Unprecedented detail for the city builder genre, with multiple sky-boxes to choose from and a dynamic time-of-day
    • Steam Workshop support to easily create, share and download new content

For more information, check the official website.

For discussion, see our Cities XL forums.

Edited by Dirktator  

User Feedback

It looks awesome!  Beating a dead horse, this is what SC should have been.  Cities that actually look like real-world cities...it's so crazy an idea that it just might work!

Share this comment

Not sure if it's me just being picky, but I'm not even remotely convinced by this game. Still looks similar to the Cities XL, just with the extra clouds and tweaked water details. :/

Share this comment

I'll buy this game if they stop copying buildings and retexturing them from the previous games. It will need that in order for me to buy it. Unless, I'll stick with XL '12.

Share this comment

I don't get it.  This game looks great, but not necessarily better than the last one, yet the Simtropolis reception is much better.  

I think the phrase that got a lot of us was "HUGE MAPS."  

They've learned. :P

Share this comment

I've never played any of the predecessors, so it will be a new experience for me, and I hope something exciting.  We'll see how it survives being run under Linux with wine.

Share this comment

I'm actually a little curious as to why there aren't even fillers between buildings. Before Cities XL came around, 'City Life' had an option where you could use filler parks and plazas to get rid of the green gaps between bldgs in say, downtown. What ever happened to it? Meanwhile, everything in the game seems quite the same, but has better frame rates.

There really is only SC4 (and SC3KU :P ) in the city-building simulator world :O

Share this comment

The thing that turns me off in the trailer are the bridges. Too many bridges and they still look weird. Overuse of suspension bridges. Do they have other bridge types?

Other than that, I reserve my opinion about this game. It could be good.

Share this comment

I've not played any of the Cities games before and so I wonder how the intriguing city in the clip came to be. For me gameplay is slightly more important than the final look. So if the gameplay (how one arrives at such good looking cities) is near as good as this looks I just might buy it.

Share this comment

Repeating what others have said.. I really haven't seen much that differentiates from Platinum.. and I didn't notice any rail system... and that has yet to be established with any Cities XL other than tricking the game into a appearance of one.. and they do have a something that looks like a tram system

Share this comment

I'll buy it, just because I tend to collect city sims.  But I'm not convinced it'll offer much more than previously.  That said, if all the do is update the engine for multicore support, 64bit, and just fix the memory leaks a small bugs they've had in previous releases, they should have a solid product.

Share this comment

From what I see here from this clip, the game has not changed that much compared to its predecessors. I have yet to discover any new addition to the game from this clip.

I'll not buy this game if this is the actual game... because practically, I already own the game...

Share this comment

I'm actually a little curious as to why there aren't even fillers between buildings. Before Cities XL came around, 'City Life' had an option where you could use filler parks and plazas to get rid of the green gaps between bldgs in say, downtown. What ever happened to it? Meanwhile, everything in the game seems quite the same, but has better frame rates.

There really is only SC4 (and SC3KU :P ) in the city-building simulator world :O

There are filler plazas in Cities XL too.

I might consider checking this one out when it's released.

Share this comment

I just hope they get away from those box lots. In the real world, though land is appropriated to developers, land is hardly permitted in square-like sections. Zoning should be free-formed.  

Share this comment

I just hope they get away from those box lots. In the real world, though land is appropriated to developers, land is hardly permitted in square-like sections. Zoning should be free-formed.  

this bugged me most about cities xl. that and the fact it feels more like a city building game rather then a simulator

Share this comment

The skyboxes look even better now.

EDIT: Edited this instead of double posting. Look at the end of the video, where the Cities XXL logo and the website address is. Look at the background. IS THAT A TRAIN I SEE?

Original post: I hope there's rail (monorail/traditional/even Maglev but not the Cities of Tomorrow type the real ones) and other transportation choices in this release though, as well as more infrastructure options and city services, to further make Cities XL a viable simulator.

(To me it's as if Cities XL 2011 and above versions are minor updates while the Focus team are working on this one. I hope this release updates the game tremendously. Cities: Skylines is just around the corner.)

EDIT: I wonder how good this will be, especially compared to Cities: Skylines (also very promising) and SimCity (believe it or not, I found the 2013 SimCity to be far more fun to play than Cities XL, which is a bit cumbersome and requires a lot of decisions, but I think that represents urban planning more realistically than the simplicity of SimCity's gameplay)

Share this comment

I am willing to bet they didn't have the common sense to add a fully functional freight train & inter-city passenger train service to this game. Its no coincidence that trains are not apart of the trailer and advertisement...I am willing to bet they are banking on people to be stupid enough to buy the same game they have released over and over again with not one thing different or impressive. no animated events such as disasters, storms, emergency services, crime in action, houses catching fire, ambulance services or even ships and boats sailing in the water..I bet 100% none of this is apart of the game and its nothing worth purchasing....I am looking forward to Skylines than this repeat garbage created by people too lazy to actually give a finished product or even animate the game...Plus the colors of the game is depressing...extremely bland and depressing... The Modders over at XL Nation did a better job improving the game than the makers of the games themselves....I wouldnt be surprised if the new XXL is nothing but stolen Modds from XL Nation packed onto disk and resold..

Share this comment

I don't know why people here are so exited. Did you play Cities XL? The maps are huge, but thats about it, there is absolutely no simulation there, same goes for difficulty level. They were also trying to sell the same game like 3 times already. They just added a new buildings, changed absolutely nothing and sold it as a new product. And now they are doing the same for the 3rd or 4th time, except this time they fixed the problems with the game? Im sorry but Im not gonna support that, it should be a free patch for those who bought the game, not full priced game!

Share this comment