• Announcement

• Dirktator

Got the wrong discs? Or didn't receive them in the mail?   06/20/2018

For those who opted for physical discs -- if you donated between April - June and you received the WRONG discs or NO discs in the mail, please email stexcd@simtropolis.com and include your donation info such as Paypal transaction ID and we will get this rectified!
Sign in to follow this  
  • Entries
  • Comments
  • Views

[1985] Introduction and the Wall Between Two

Doctoryzer

BACK STORY

The 'Modern' Republic of Astrein was founded after World War One, and the collapse of the Austrian-Hungarian Empire. It was created as the Republic of Astrein, and located between South-East Germany, and the newly formed Czechoslovakia. Astrein was gain independence, due to its long past history of independence, culture, and way of life. It was once a major trading kingdom in the middle ages, and has long, and gained land. During World War Two, when Fascist Germany was attempting to create a New World Order, annexed the republic, and attempted mass-genocide on their people, which killed around 214,500 Astreinians. Though, after the fall of Germany and the end of the Second World War, the newly formed UN, and the USSR split Astrein, like they did with Germany, leaving the creation of two separate nations of, "The Republic of Astrein" [West Astrein] and then the, "People's Democratic Republic of Astrein" [East Astrein], and which shortly in 1948, joined the Warsaw Pact, though both Astreins couldn't get along as great as many thought they would. Which lead to the attack in 1949, known as the Astrein War, which East Astrein attacked West Astrein, to attempt to reunify Astrein under Communist Rule. It led to a short five month battle, ending with UN troops having to push East Astrein back. Luckly, no battles took place in Glasslow (The Capital City), which was split into West and East, due to the Astrein split, but battles took place just outside the city. It led to the United Nations to build a long wall to further seperate East and West Astrein, and officially cutting connections with families who have relatives on either side. Today, both nations are split, and connections between both are little, to none, which brings us to the present, 1985.

CG0eUz7.png

The Republic of Astrein's Flag [West Astrein]

L0uJNGX.png

The People's Republic of Astrein's Flag [East Astrein]

The Year: 1985

DmwrJmz.png

West Glasslow, the Capital Building of West Astrein

TxdN5Sg.png

One of our fine three modern highrises in Glasslow, they come out of the city with joy. With historic buildings beside it,

like that odd one in the upper-left, which lost the front of its building, thanks to World War Two.

AoPLQGf.png

The Historic Hotel Victoria, which is known as one of the most popular hotels to stay at.

Though the two other major hotels are the Hilton, and the Riverview.

hQkdpDP.png

Here we also see affects of World War Two, a entire building was destroyed, so the city decided to place this in,

looks a bit out of place, but it gets the job done.

rREzJc3.png

The original police station was also bombed during World War Two, and with help from the U.S.A., they were able

to build us a Art-Deco styled Police Station near the Astrein Wall.

quQEg6t.png

Some historic city blocks in West Glasslow.

S5h388M.png

Then, there's the memorial of the Astrein War, for West Glasslow.

6bO7i0U.png

Now, we head toward Gate A, into East Glasslow, in the Communist controlled, East Astrein.

jAwLqZB.png

As, we cross the gate into the unknown, we can see Communist-Blocs greeting us, how bland.

0ukyLcy.png

I spot a tall Prefab Tower, looks so comfortable..

BmmCDwc.png

The Tour Guide said, these towers recently got caught in a fire, and have yet to be rebuilt.. Odd..

3P30Dve.png

I think I spot one of the taller buildings in East Glasslow, another Prefab tower...

Vpzo3vn.png

I also found, the Astrein War Memorial for East Glasslow, it looks weird, (Did They use molds of broomsticks?)

gQMlzZY.png

I actually like the design of the East Astrein capital building, but that's due to its the original (Unified)

Astrein capital building, that the Soviets got when the city and nation was split.

fVLnRAS.png

Then next to it, a statue of Lenin himself.. How glorious...

ORC3Rbl.png

I'm thinking this is the only "dense" area, with historical buildings in East Glasslow.

I7t5A35.png

The House of Soviets building for Astrein, the USSR really is trying to keep a grip control

over this nation since the Astrein War.

pdt08yW.png

Historic Buildings, flattened for Elevated Rail stations like these, and others deserted like the ones behind it.

H2lkAfS.png

Thank you for joining me for downtown of two Glasslows!

15 Comments

Recommended Comments

Looks lvoely. Brillaint contrast between the two cities. The communist side is my favourite (I have a soft spot for communist syle architecture for some reason).

Looking forward to seeing this develop and seeing how the two different cities attempt to co-incide!

Cheers

James

Share this comment

Not a fan of the first pic (lacking vegetation in my opinion) but the rest are awesome! Love the vitality of the city blocks!

Share this comment

Gviper, fear now, vegetation will come soon, I just wanted downtown for both cities to appear more urbanized, and rivaling themselves to look, and seem better.

Share this comment

I like the ranger station as a guard tower...good thinking.  It fits that so many people on the communist side are walking, the government on the east side can't afford to buy them cars

Share this comment

Very nice, i like the history in it.

And how there are two cultures and two styles of architecture in the same city.

Share this comment

Bravo! This is a great entry and I must say it's inspired me a bit.

I like the ranger station as a guard tower...good thinking.  It fits that so many people on the communist side are walking, the government on the east side can't afford to buy them cars

I guess the Party's too busy partying, eh?

Share this comment

Aaah very good ! 

Makes me want to go back visiting Berlin !! 

Keep going !

Share this comment

I like the paradoxical touch of using the sovietic SEV Building in the west side of the city.

Really a great work, in a significative date.

Share this comment

Thanks for the comments! The next update will be soon!

-------------------------------

Bien1500: I think they partied a bit to much!

v701: Thank you, :D

Matias93: Your the first to notice, thought that even if it's a Soviet building, it would look better in the west.

Share this comment